Forums

Topic: Is it really worth my money buying a Wii U? Or will I regret it?

Posts 121 to 140 of 157

rockodoodle

gamepad is horrible? that's the reason i bought tthe system and couldn'tbe more pleased. everybody that sees it loves it.

Edited on by rockodoodle

rockodoodle

Captain_Toad

Mahe wrote:

• The Gamepad is horrible

How. It's horrible how?

Was Mariobro4. No, I'm not taking off my backpack...it's important.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1530-1570-5053 | 3DS Friend Code: 3566-2311-3009 | Nintendo Network ID: Mariobro4

jariw

Mahe wrote:

I think it's absolutely great, when it's well implemented in the games.

Mahe wrote:

• Game library isn't as big as it could be and game releases are slowing down to a crawl

For me, there are too many games releasing right now that I want to play and I haven't played everything on my old games yet. Child of Light, Stick it to the Man, Scram Kitty, Armillo and Shovel Knight all appearing right before and around the Mario Kart 8 release. I'll probably need to skip Shovel Knight and Armillo for now.

jariw

SuperPokefan95

Mahe wrote:

The Gamepad is nice. It does run out of power a little faster than I'd like it too but that's why we have chargers.

Mahe wrote:

• The Wii U is too expensive

The Wii U is the cheapest console out right now.

"Mahe" wrote:

• Game library isn't as big as it could be and game releases are slowing down to a crawl

I still haven't gotten around to getting most of the Wii U games that I want to get and I still haven't beaten all of the games I have for it either (though that is mostly due to school). Also I don't mind the slow crawl of game releases. I'd rather have them take their time to make the games instead of rushing them out, but that's just me.

SuperPokefan95

3DS Friend Code: 0447-5046-0418 | Nintendo Network ID: SuperPokefan95 | Twitter:

Action51

Mahe wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. The gamepad is excellent, and I've been falling in love with Advance Wars all over again on the gamepad's large screen while watching TV or doing other things on my comp mainscreen.

The Wii U probably was too expensive at launch, and I'm one of the early adopter/suckers...lol....but right now? It's a pretty good value after the price cut. Let's not forget the Wii U is quite a bit more powerful then X360 and PS3...that's a FACT. The Gamepad and free games included in the various bundles actually make it a pretty good value, and I wish I would have waited for mine.

PS: I love your avatar pic, Excitebots:Trick Racing is still one of my all time favorite racers!

Edited on by Action51

Action51

UGXwolf

Mahe wrote:

• Some good exclusive games and multiplats
    • Great Wii backwards compatibility

There are a lot of deals floating around for Wii U, so get one if you can get it cheap, but you probably shouldn't buy one at full price unless you really want one. But if the deal is for the "Basic" version, be very cautious!

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but to be honest, I disagree on the most base level with all of the negatives in your post. While the GamePad's battery life is atrocious, the controller, itself, isn't all that bad. It seems to fit just perfectly in my hands, it's not too heavy, and off-TV gameplay is one of the best things to happen to my gaming life.

I don't know what concept you have on the worth of a dollar, but I'm nearly minimum wage, and given the games already out on the Wii U, the games already announced for it, and the odds of getting an absolutely amazing Fall and Winter line-up at E3 are more than enough, IMO, to spend $250 on a console. Don't forget with the Wind Waker HD and MK8 bundles, That price is even better. $300 for WWHD and the Hyrule Historia AND a Deluxe model Wii U? $330 for MK8, on extra download and (again) a deluxe Wii U? Bring on the fun.

Beyond that, the game library is just fine. Yeah, it's been dead, this season, but that's just given us time to catch up on what we missed, last year, since I don't have the money to buy new games every week.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

RickyWill

Just wait until the Mario Mart 8 Premium Bundle comes around, all of the stuff in there would normally cost $420 altogether, including the free game you get with Club Nintendo.

However, for the "The gamepad is horrible" and the "Game library isn't as big as it could be" statement is a little false. Maily due to the Wii U eShop has a library quickly growing on it's own.

The Gamepad DOES take some time getting used to, but if you want to have a normal controller, buy a pro controller (normally $40, you can probably find cheaper in secondhand shops such as goodwill), but having to switch between the gamepad and controller may happen often, with certain sections in games, such as Puffrod Peaks in Super Mario 3D World, which requires touching the Gamepad's screen and using it's microphone.

RickyWill

RickyWill

Action51 wrote:

mipaol wrote:

The Wii U is an excellent system that already has some excellent games, strong indie support, and offers some pretty cool features (which of course are promptly labeled gimmicks).

Like I always say...they call them "gimmicks" until their favorite console adopts them, then it becomes an "innovation" and you as a Nintendo fan need to stop living in the past already and let it go.

The Wii U gamepad is a gimmick while the PS4's Touchpad and microphone is an innovation, according to the media...

RickyWill

Ryno

Fireninjastar wrote:

Just wait until the Mario Mart 8 Premium Bundle comes around, all of the stuff in there would normally cost $420 altogether, including the free game you get with Club Nintendo.

Can't wait, I have always wanted to play a Mario shopping sim!

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

mipaol

For anyone who didn't know their is a high capacity battery pack available for the Wii U gamepad that has double the capacity of the stock battery, around eight hours of nintendo power (hehe) depending on what you're doing. Their are 3rd party options but I recommend the official Nintendo battery which retails for around $50. The battery life of the gamepad was my major gripe when I first got the system, often I would watch some Netflix on the gamepad (is that a gimmick too) and then have the gamepad die on me when I played a game after, but with the high capacity battery I've yet to have my gamepad die on me even after hours of gaming and several episodes of Super Mario Bros Super Show on Netflix. So yeah I highly recommend it and some might think $50 for a battery is steep but I think it was worth it, not to mention its about the same price as a new game and considering how much people complain about the price of the Wii U as it is I can see why Nintendo went with the smaller battery and made the proper one an option.

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-U-Game-Pad-Battery-Pak/dp/B00EZPU0E...

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Nintendo Network ID: mipaol

rockodoodle

i'm ok with the battery. it can be a pain, but it's far from a deal breaker. i usually only play for an hour, but it can be frustrating with netflix or golf.....

rockodoodle

SCRAPPER392

@mipaol
Nintendo was selling it for $30 + shipping, a while back. The high price is exactly why it was excluded. With the high capacity battery, you're getting the amount of battery life you would be getting from your tablet, rather than a controller. That's the way I think of it, anyway.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

NintendoFan990

Get it, it's amazing. So what if it's not selling well, it's still got loads of good games. In fact, I think I have at least 25 games so far (that's including eShop and Virtual Console games) so that 'no games' thing isn't really correct. It might be a good idea to get the Mario Kart bundle and build a collection of games while you wait for upcoming games.

I said 'games' 6 times. O_o

I am a human.

unrandomsam

SCAR392 wrote:

@mipaol
Nintendo was selling it for $30 + shipping, a while back. The high price is exactly why it was excluded. With the high capacity battery, you're getting the amount of battery life you would be getting from your tablet, rather than a controller. That's the way I think of it, anyway.

The battery in my tablet is 6500 mAh and it came out in Feb 2011. There is no way the battery Nintendo is using even for the high capacity one costs any significant amount of money. It is like the pro controllers and wiimotes with a huge markup.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Ryno

For once, I got to agree with @unrandomsam. Nintendo was nothing but cheap in regards to the battery of the Wii U Gamepad.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SCRAPPER392

unrandomsam wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@mipaol

The battery in my tablet is 6500 mAh and it came out in Feb 2011. There is no way the battery Nintendo is using even for the high capacity one costs any significant amount of money. It is like the pro controllers and wiimotes with a huge markup.

Not really. If the battery really should have included, but it was excluded to cut costs, you have to figure how much they saved consumers by excluding it, but then how much it cost to sell it after that.

For example, let's say excluding it saves consumers $15. That price was automatically added onto whatever cost it would have to market the item, individually. So say that price is $17, now they are charging $32 for an item that costs $15 to make. So really, they only make $10 or so on each one they sell, but that's just a guess.

Consumers are cheap, because they won't buy the battery for how much it would have cost if it was included in the first place, and then some.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Hy8ogen

Mahe wrote:

Whaaaa? Seriously Whaaaa?

@Ryno I don't really have a problem with the gamepad's battery because I always have it plugged in since the charger it comes with has a rather long wire. The only times my gamepad is not plugged in is when I'm playing in bed (Wii U is in the living room) or I'm in the toilet.

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

JoyBoy

Wait, didn't the OP already make his decision?

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

mipaol

Spanjard wrote:

Wait, didn't the OP already make his decision?

Indeed he has, how very astute of you.

As for the cost of the high capacity battery versus the cost of other batteries and why Nintendo chose not to include it only Nintendo can really answer that, but for someone like me who tends to treat the gamepad like a close proximity handheld having twice the battery life of the standard battery has been well worth the cost, and I suspect once the cost of manufacturing Wii Us drops enough Nintendo just might include the extended battery with the console.

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Nintendo Network ID: mipaol

kyuubikid213

The GamePad is great because of the features it can add to games. Even games that don't necessarily need the GamePad are vastly improved with the aid of an easy-access menu, a larger mini map, and off-tv play.

The battery life can be a pain, but I haven't yet come across a time when I wasn't able to plug it in and keep playing without interruption. This is even playing GamePad centric games like ZombiU, Lego City: Undercover, and some parts of Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.