Forums

Topic: Is it really worth my money buying a Wii U? Or will I regret it?

Posts 101 to 120 of 157

CanisWolfred

Oragami wrote:

Look, a game can be considered more than one genre. So why argue about what genre a game is in if it straddles the line?

Because it doesn't strattle the line. It's not an FPS. It's a Survival Horror in first person that happens to include guns as a usuable weapon. We don't call Mario a Run & Gun just because you can shoot fireballs...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Oragami

Okay, I will say this, and then I'm done. You can counter my points all you want, but I just don't care enough to keep arguing with you.
Throughout the game, you have access to guns. Guns that shoot. And the game is in first person.
It's the same thing with Fallout 3. Sure, the game is also an RPG, but it could be called an FPS and I wouldn't argue. Same with Mass Effect, but a third-person shooter. You could call Ready 2 Rumble a fighting game or a sports simulator.
However, this argument doesn't apply to Skyrim, as shooting is only a minor aspect of that game.

Alright, there we go.

New PS4 owner
Yeah, guitars are cool.

My musical project Comet Tail made a couple of recordings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0zUoWWO1v4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2evBddvrm2U

moomoo

The point of a genre is that it gives someone an idea of what that game is like. It's why we don't call everything a role-playing game, even though nearly every game has you playing a role as something.

It's the same reason why we have sub genres like WRPGs and JRPGs. They give people an idea of what a game is like.

If I told someone who likes RPGs that had never played Mass Effect 3 that it was a WRPG, then it would be misleading. It's not wrong; it has many characteristics of a WRPG. However, there is too much of a focus on shooting for that to be the best description. The best one would be: a third person shooter with RPG and SIM elements.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

CanisWolfred

Oragami wrote:

Okay, I will say this, and then I'm done. You can counter my points all you want, but I just don't care enough to keep arguing with you.
Throughout the game, you have access to guns. Guns that shoot. And the game is in first person.
It's the same thing with Fallout 3. Sure, the game is also an RPG, but it could be called an FPS and I wouldn't argue. Same with Mass Effect, but a third-person shooter. You could call Ready 2 Rumble a fighting game or a sports simulator.
However, this argument doesn't apply to Skyrim, as shooting is only a minor aspect of that game.

Alright, there we go.

You don't know what an FPS is. It's pure and simple. Dreamz explained what an FPS was, UGXWolf made a good argument as to why the term FPS should not be taken at face value, yet that information seemed to just go right through your head like Gelatin. I'm not going to reiterate them because their posts are still there and you can reread them at any point should you ever wise up and decide to listen to what others have to say.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rockodoodle

i got mine last april and have zero regrets. ive put about 600-700 hours on it between me, my brother and son

rockodoodle

SCRAPPER392

I got mine on launch, no regrets. Just buy a few Nintendo games, a few 3rd party games, a few indie games, and a few VC games, then you'll be set for at least 2-3 months(this is only if you play constantly, BTW). I know you already said you'd buy one, but there really is alot to play, IMO.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

kyuubikid213 wrote:

The Wii came out 19 November 2006. The Wii U launched 18 November 2012.
The GameCube came out 18 November 2001 and the N64 came out 29 September 1996.

The next Nintendo home console will likely come out in 2017 or 2018 as these consoles lasted around 5 years.

Except that the console that lasted the longest two generations ago (PS2) had just as short a life as quickest to get replaced last generation (Wii). There's nothing particularly special about the previous generation to explain that. It's just that as technology has improved a 2x improvement in performance doesn't mean as much. I'd also add that the gap between Gamecube and 360 was the biggest gap between two consoles from "the big three" since the industry started. I say was because the gap between PS3 and Wii U was bigger.

These guys are now lockstep, I doubt Nintendo will release a successor to the Wii U unless a new guy appears on the block or one of the other guys make a move. Plus there isn't some massive shift in technology that would require them to push harder like 16bit sprites, optical media, 3D objects, HD or similar. 4K is the closest but we're a bit more than four years away from the tech that can drive 4K being cheap enough. I tell you now, if PS4/XBOne are going to last upto 10 years then the Wii U will last 8 or so.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

creative92

You won't feel buyer remorse thats for sure. I am more than happy with my Wii U

creative92

Dreamz

Miss_Dark wrote:

Not sure anymore, the newspapers here confirm that nintendo is working on a new console that'll be released in 2015/2016. They're aiming at the middle class/working class in poorer countries. Don't like this news..

[Citation Needed]

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Dreamz

Hmm....I'm not sure that'll be relevant to us here in the west. It sounds kind of like what Microsoft did, in providing a stripped down version of the product to developing nations so that people become familiar with the product and gravitate towards the full line of products at a later date.

skywake

I'd imagine it'd be something like a Wii-mini or maybe a TV version of something like the 3DS that runs on disks or something. I highly doubt it'd change anything about the way we use the product. Just like how the existence of the iQue didn't have any impact at all on how we used the DS.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

jariw

Yes, this has been discussed for a while and AFAIK it's a budget console mainly aimed for the Chinese market (which now allows video games).

jariw

AJTsuki

Gingadreadman wrote:

Games like Super Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, Mega Man battle network Blue and white version, X (Monolith Software), Mighty No. 9, Hyrule Warriors ect.

I'll be honest. I don't really understand why you're even asking the question when it's clear that you want to play the games that are on the WiiU. There are so many great games out for the WiiU now, and so many more coming. Far more than are needed to justify the purchase. And it does a fair job with Wii titles. Pick up a Mario Kart 8 bundle, it will be a great purchase.

AJTsuki

Gingadreadman

AJTsuki wrote:

Gingadreadman wrote:

Games like Super Smash Bros 4, Mario Kart 8, Mega Man battle network Blue and white version, X (Monolith Software), Mighty No. 9, Hyrule Warriors ect.

I'll be honest. I don't really understand why you're even asking the question when it's clear that you want to play the games that are on the WiiU. There are so many great games out for the WiiU now, and so many more coming. Far more than are needed to justify the purchase. And it does a fair job with Wii titles. Pick up a Mario Kart 8 bundle, it will be a great purchase.

I asked it just to be sure if it will be worth the money. Even though I want to play a lot of the games for it. Like I just heard it was a dying console and that Nintendo are planning on releasing a new sorta console soon. But yea I'm trying to save for the Mario Kart 8 bundle. But it's hard when you are a student with very little income!

Gingadreadman

3DS Friend Code: 0791-3211-1175 | Nintendo Network ID: Gingadreadman

Gingadreadman

Miss_Dark wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

Hmm....I'm not sure that'll be relevant to us here in the west. It sounds kind of like what Microsoft did, in providing a stripped down version of the product to developing nations so that people become familiar with the product and gravitate towards the full line of products at a later date.

You're probably right! phew I was worried for a second in that case wii u is worth it, it has some great games

Yea I'm getting one anyway it's the saving up money that's the problem.

Gingadreadman

3DS Friend Code: 0791-3211-1175 | Nintendo Network ID: Gingadreadman

Dreamz

Gingadreadman wrote:

Miss_Dark wrote:

You're probably right! phew I was worried for a second in that case wii u is worth it, it has some great games

Yea I'm getting one anyway it's the saving up money that's the problem.

Very unlikely; most products of this nature have extremely strict export rules set specifically to prevent them from being sold outside the designated locations.

mipaol

@Gingadreadman the thing about all the negativity surrounding the Wii U is that much of it stems from Nintendo's refusal to make a system just like the other two systems and cater to the third party developers, which for better or worse make up the bulk of the video game industry. The Wii U is an excellent system that already has some excellent games, strong indie support, and offers some pretty cool features (which of course are promptly labeled gimmicks). Unfortunately Nintendo's engineering philosophy of building consoles with older more reliable components and the minimal amount of hardware power needed to deliver the best gameplay experience, combined with their willingness to break away from traditional norms like the "classic controller" and try new things like gyroscopic motion sensing remotes and touchscreen gamepads, and the level of overall quality they uphold with their first first party titles and encourage from developers of second and third party licensed titles, tends to make an industry notorious for greedy short sighted business practices that focus on quantity over quality a little apprehensive towards Nintendo.

TL;DR Don't believe the negativity others have towards the Wii U/Nintendo, it's usually coming from people who want Nintendo consoles to be just like Sony and Microsoft consoles, and they will forever hate on Nintendo until that's the case, which will never happen.

Edited on by mipaol

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll." - Shigeru Miyamoto

Nintendo Network ID: mipaol

Dreamz

mipaol wrote:

TL;DR Don't believe the negativity others have towards the Wii U/Nintendo, it's usually coming from people who want Nintendo consoles to be just like Sony and Microsoft consoles, and they will forever hate on Nintendo until that's the case, which will never happen.

And thank goodness for that. While Nintendo has their share of issues, if I wanted a console like the XB1 or PS4, I would buy an XB1 or PS4.

Action51

mipaol wrote:

The Wii U is an excellent system that already has some excellent games, strong indie support, and offers some pretty cool features (which of course are promptly labeled gimmicks).

Like I always say...they call them "gimmicks" until their favorite console adopts them, then it becomes an "innovation" and you as a Nintendo fan need to stop living in the past already and let it go.

Personally, I can see where the Wii-mote motion controls thing feels like a fad to many people. Ultimately as much as I love the Wii, I find myself using the Classic Controller Pro whenever a game allows it. But just like the Wii, I actually LIKE having multiple input options with the Wii U, and I own a Pro Controller which I use alongside the game pad and my old Wii-motes.

Some people like to list multiple controller options as a negative, but I just don't see how that's the case. More options = better IMO.

Action51

Mahe
  • Some good exclusive games and multiplats
  • Great Wii backwards compatibility
  • The Gamepad is horrible
  • The Wii U is too expensive
  • Game library isn't as big as it could be and game releases are slowing down to a crawl

There are a lot of deals floating around for Wii U, so get one if you can get it cheap, but you probably shouldn't buy one at full price unless you really want one. But if the deal is for the "Basic" version, be very cautious!

Mahe

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.