Forums

Topic: Is it important that every next gen release runs at 1080p and 60 fps?

Posts 41 to 60 of 102

cookiex

Phatosaurus wrote:

Metroidlink wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

1080p/30 FPS is perfectly acceptable to me.
As far as 720p/30 even if the graphics are REALLY REALLY amazing.

For Wii U I'm only really expecting 720/30 and 720/60.

Console games that go 1080/60 take too many shortcuts to get there and end up looking horrible, not worth it.

Say that to Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 which all run at 1080p 60 fps

WWHD and 3D World run at 30FPS...and one of those games is an upscaled Gabecube game.
Not sure on Mario Kart 8 but I believe it's 60FPS. Not sure on the resolution.

I believe 3D World was recently confirmed to be 720p 60fps. Mario Kart 8 has always been said to be 1080p 60fps.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

OptometristLime

Phatosaurus wrote:

WWHD and 3D World run at 30FPS...and one of those games is an upscaled Gabecube game.

Gabecube

Untitled
Do you understand what just happened here?
Steam box? So last gen. v_v

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

crazycrazydave

After playing games on my PC at 120 fps on my 120Hz monitor, it's safe to say for me that 30fps is inadequate. That should be the absolute bare minimum for a game this day in age. Resolution doesn't bother me as much though, 720p is fine for the most part, although 1080p in all games would be nice.

We're going on a bear hunt! We're going to catch a big one!

3DS Friend Code: 2492-4881-6959
Super Mario Maker levels: https://supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/crazycrazydave?type=posted

Warruz

SCAR392 wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

WebHead wrote:

ShadowFox254 wrote:

Fighting games should always be 60 FPS.

I do agree. A 60 FPS framerate is a necessity for fighters and racers.

Agree. I don't want any lag input. Also, Hack & Slash games as well.

Oh ya, platformers, too... See how we just named almost half of the genres there are? It's no question that 1080p and 60FPS is what people want. There's more to it than just adding the features with little to no effort and calling it a day. That's why it's better not to expect these sort of things, but appreciate when they are available.

Really you should just say any fast paced game because thats when your going to want it and notice it.

Game Industry News; Discussed and Debated - Pauseyourgame.com

Twitter:

Phatosaurus

cookiex wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

Metroidlink wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Console games that go 1080/60 take too many shortcuts to get there and end up looking horrible, not worth it.

Say that to Wind Waker HD, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 which all run at 1080p 60 fps

I believe 3D World was recently confirmed to be 720p 60fps. Mario Kart 8 has always been said to be 1080p 60fps.

I thought 3D was set to be 1080p/30FPS. That's good though, i'd take 60FPS over 1080p any day of the week.

CapnPancakes wrote:

@Phatosaurus
I believe Mario Kart 8 is 1080p and runs at 60FPS.

To be honest, I don't think the difference between 720p and 1080p is that huge. There is a slight difference, but depending on your gaming setup, you may not even be able to see it. I do think that games should try for 60FPS though, it's very nice to have games that run smoothly.

There's a big difference in image quality, but it doesn't make the game play any better. Whereas 60FPS...I'm sure I don't need to explain.

3DS: 3840-6043-8686
WiiU: Phatosaurus

PloXyZeRO

Frame rate really isn't an issue to me so long as it's at least 30 FPS. I'd rather have 1080p @ 30 fps rather than 720p @ 60 fps. 1080p @ 60 fps would be nice, but that may not be possible for very graphic-intensive games later on. Even 24 fps looks alright because of persistence of vision, so 60 FPS really isn't even that necessary. I bet if I told someone that a certain game was running at 60 fps and I let them play it at 30 fps, they wouldn't even realize it. BUT if v-sync is enabled then a higher frame rate would be optimal.

EDIT: Also to whoever posted that gamespot video...it's note entirely accurate. You could have a game running at 24 fps, take a screenshot, and have no motion blur. Films have motion blur because they shoot at a shutter speed of about 1/50 (or shutter angle of about 172) most of the time. Motion blur makes motion look more smooth. If films were shot at like 1/4000, then there would also be no motion blur. The guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.

Edited on by PloXyZeRO

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

Contrite

I don't really care whether games are 1080p/720p or 60fps or 30fps when it comes to console games.

While I most often play at 1080p and 60fps myself, since I mostly play games on PC, it doesn't matter much when it comes to consoles.

On my TV at least, the difference between 720p and 1080 is there, but it's not really noticeable unless you specifically look for it.
And if it's 30fps, the frame-filler-whatever that my TV has makes it more than smooth enough.

The only situation where I care about this is for bad console to PC ports, where the framerate is capped at 30fps.
That poopoodoodoocacadoggiepoop is extremely horrifyingly annoying.
It's also another reason that I dislike The Sims 3 compared to TS2, not that this has anything to do with console-to-pc ports.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Edited on by theblackdragon

Contrite

JetForceSetGrind

Phatosaurus wrote:

Metroidlink wrote:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

3D World runs at 720/60 and Wind Waker HD is 1080/30.

Wind Waker HD is not upscaled...learn the difference between increasing the resolution and upscaling. It also has high-res textures, a new lighting system and various other features.

Pretty sure Mario Kart 8 will turn out to be 720/60.

Edited on by JetForceSetGrind

JetForceSetGrind

ThePirateCaptain

@Banjo
Mario Kart 8 is 1080/60. That could change during development if they have trouble getting it to run smoothly with 4 players.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

GuSolarFlare

CapnPancakes wrote:

@Banjo
Mario Kart 8 is 1080/60. That could change during development if they have trouble getting it to run smoothly with 4 players.

they could always downscale only in local multiplayer. playing Mario Kart locally is so crazy that you don't notice when something is wrong!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

SCRAPPER392

720p @ 60FPS is alot more common. I'm pretty sure Wind Waker HD is 1080p @ 60FPS, though.

Nintendo always tries to get 60FPS like @CountWavula said. It's based mainly on opinion which matters more(res or FPS). I tend to like the higher frame rate over resolution, but both is always better.

I think some devs just have different priorities. There's probably alot more games that could have been at least 720p @ 60FPS, but sometimes working on graphics alone is enough for a dev to not go the extra mile and leave it at 30FPS.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

TheHaydenator

Nope Wind Waker is 1080p 30fps

TheHaydenator

3DS Friend Code: 1392-4253-0104 | Nintendo Network ID: TheHaydenator

SCRAPPER392

TheHaydenator wrote:

Well, maybe it doesn't matter for every game, then. I thought Wind Waker was 60FPS. I think it's fine for some things to vary. Really, you can only see around 24FPS with your eyes. The TV is technically still showing all the extra frames, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will matter.

Your seeing the same thing on screen, regardless, unless peoples' eyes evolve to see above 24FPS or something. IDK.

Qwest

Phatosaurus

BanjoThreeie wrote:

3D World runs at 720/60 and Wind Waker HD is 1080/30.

Wind Waker HD is not upscaled...learn the difference between increasing the resolution and upscaling. It also has high-res textures, a new lighting system and various other features.

Pretty sure Mario Kart 8 will turn out to be 720/60.

Yeah, upscaled was the wrong word to use, an "enhanced port" is more suitable but you get my point. It's a Gamecube game from more than 10 years ago. Running it at 1080p/30FPS shouldn't be considered impressive.

SCAR392 wrote:

TheHaydenator wrote:

Well, maybe it doesn't matter for every game, then. I thought Wind Waker was 60FPS. I think it's fine for some things to vary. Really, you can only see around 24FPS with your eyes. The TV is technically still showing all the extra frames, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will matter.

Your seeing the same thing on screen, regardless, unless peoples' eyes evolve to see above 24FPS or something. IDK.

[citation needed]

DefHalan

SCAR392 wrote:

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

GuSolarFlare

Phatosaurus wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

TheHaydenator wrote:

[citation needed]

my college teacher said the same stuff about the human eye limits... I didn't believe much though, he said it out of nowhere and it had nothing to do with the class...

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

Phatosaurus

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Phatosaurus wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

TheHaydenator wrote:

[citation needed]

my college teacher said the same stuff about the human eye limits... I didn't believe much though, he said it out of nowhere and it had nothing to do with the class...

These explain it better than I care to.

http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_can_humans_see.htm
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

GuSolarFlare

@Phatosaurus wow that's really cool! and looking 60FPS along with 30FPS(side by side) in this site shows how much difference exists(I could neve imagine it was such a big difference! )

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

my Backloggery

SCRAPPER392

The point is that what's going on on the display doesn't always move fast anyway, I think. Wind Waker HD @ 30FPS looks like 60FPS, because it's not moving any faster than that.
The frames are still shown on the display. but what frames you see could be different from what someone else sees. Just imagine by the chance that I see the "copied" frame of a 30FPS game and you see the original frame that happens before the extra frame runs on the display again. It's just a matter of what frames you see out of those 60, whether they are the repeat or original frames.

Look at a game like Tekken Tag 2. They have motion blur for in game character models, and it makes it looks better than without. The game is denying the framerate of the display and matching what your eyes would actually see. That's just my take on it. I'm not an eye doctor.

The only way motion blur would look unnecessary is if you can actually see faster than the display or content is allowing you to.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFbNn3YpWM&feature=html5_3d

EDIT2: So yes, more frames do matter to an extent if you take gadgets seriously. You won't see every frame unless you can see faster/better than other people. You will see some of the frames, but never in full sequence(one to the next, to the next, etc).

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Phatosaurus

SCAR392 wrote:

The point is that what's going on on the display doesn't always move fast anyway, I think. Wind Waker HD @ 30FPS looks like 60FPS, because it's not moving any faster than that.
The frames are still shown on the display. but what frames you see could be different from what someone else sees. Just imagine by the chance that I see the "copied" frame of a 30FPS game and you see the original frame that happens before the extra frame runs on the display again. It's just a matter of what frames you see out of those 60, whether they are the repeat or original frames.

Look at a game like Tekken Tag 2. They have motion blur for in game character models, and it makes it looks better than without. The game is denying the framerate of the display and matching what your eyes would actually see. That's just my take on it. I'm not an eye doctor.

The only way motion blur would look unnecessary is if you can actually see faster than the display or content is allowing you to.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFbNn3YpWM&feature=html5_3d

EDIT2: So yes, more frames do matter to an extent if you take gadgets seriously. You won't see every frame unless you can see faster/better than other people. You will see some of the frames, but never in full sequence(one to the next, to the next, etc).

That's not making a whole lot of coherent sense to me. If you're just trying to say 60FPS isn't important in every game, then I agree with you.
Also youtube doesn't playback 60FPS content so that video is bunk.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.