Wii U Forum

Topic: Is it important that every next gen release runs at 1080p and 60 fps?

Showing 101 to 108 of 108

AuthorMessage

rallydefault

101. Posted:

skywake wrote:

banacheck wrote:

Yusuf Mehdi, Microsoft's Corporate Vice President of Marketing and Strategy stated back in May that "There's no hardware restriction" when it comes to 4K gaming on the Xbox One.

Sony's Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told Joystiq back in February that PS4 games do not play in 4K, despite confirming that 4K video support will be present.

So as you can see microsoft will tell you any old crap.

Well Microsoft isn't wrong but there's a difference between having the ability to run games at 4K and being able to have games playable at 4K. Just like how a ten year old PC with integrated graphics can run games and output 1080p. Doesn't mean it can actually do it acceptably.

Exactly. Like I said, the next-gen consoles showing movies and stuff at 4k? Yea, I can buy that. But the next-gen consoles, which are only equivalent to about a mid-power gaming PC, running video games at 4k with decent graphics and framerate? Nope - no way. The research that PC gamers have done is out - go look at it to make sure you know the facts. I really wouldn't put money down on one of those consoles thinking that it will be able to do 4k gaming for you. In a couple years' time, IF 4k gaming takes off, you'll be stuck with a dud.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage

Geonjaha

102. Posted:

Wonder_Mask wrote:

Geonjaha wrote:

lilman390 wrote:

Why is it important that every "new" game runs at 1080p and 60fps? I have the SC:Blacklist and it runs at native 720p and 30fps on the Wii U. I still enjoyed the game. Why does everybody make a big deal out of this? As long as the game is playable and performs well, right? Some of the major games on the PS4 and Xbox One are not running at 1080p and 60fps. Why is that a big deal? I don't understand.

Probably because we're finally moving on from 8 year old hardware, and people are hoping that the next generation of console games can at least compete with current PC games.

Even if consoles could achieve the same as modern PC's, their little technological tie wouldn't last very long.

Thats why I said 'at least compete'. If this next gen of consoles rolls up and the difference between PC games and console games remains as bad as it is then there will be less reason for people to pick them up, especially when in the end the graphically superior PC versions will be cheaper via Steam sales and such. Consoles will never be on the same level as PC's, and of course the difference will keep on getting greater, but these new console generations are supposed to be when the machines catch up a bit and still remain a viable option.

Edited on by Geonjaha

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage

Beetlejuice

103. Posted:

PC gaming will never make consoles extinct. They are two completely different things. Most people don't want to bother building PCs and having to upgrade and maintain them. Home consoles are much more convenient and accessible for your average gamer.

It's like saying that Ferrari's will eventually make Honda Civics obsolete, because they are superior automobiles.

Beetlejuice

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

104. Posted:

HDMI 1.4a, which you probably have in your hoise right now, is already 4K @ 30FPS compatible. HDMI 2.0 is what ups it to 60FPS and a few oher features.

This is why I was saying around December, that I already 4K equipment laying around the house. If I was tech savy enough to tear apart my $400 audio receiver and know what I was doing, I'd be able to upgrade my HDMI ports without buying a the whole thing just for 4K. That's only in the case that I actually was able to get a 4K UHDTV, and anything actually utilized it.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

105. Posted:

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

PC gaming will never make consoles extinct. They are two completely different things. Most people don't want to bother building PCs and having to upgrade and maintain them. Home consoles are much more convenient and accessible for your average gamer.

It's like saying that Ferrari's will eventually make Honda Civics obsolete, because they are superior automobiles.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective and I don't think anyone really knows what will happen. Certainly not people who think of consoles and PCs as two entirely different product types divided only by "easy" and "hard". What is certain is that it's not just a three console race anymore. We have seen Android boxes and SteamOS play their hand already both of which can easily be sold as appliances like consoles are.

Just face it, the game industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the world now and development costs are through the roof. People aren't as brand loyal as you think they are and the major third parties only care about selling as many units as possible. If a more open platform allows these open boxes to constantly be upgraded in the market then the traditional console will quickly become obsolete.

..... think about it. If SteamOS was a thing five years ago and their PS4 equivalent one was last years model would you be still hyped about PS4? Would you care about PS3 content still?

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

106. Posted:

@skywake
That's not true. If a game console allowed you to upgrade it, that wouldn't guarantee success. Sega tried the same thing. Granted they didn't stick with it on a consumer level, and ditched it t a commercial level, but upgrades are generally not what people look for unless they are into PC.

I've truly thought, 'oh well Nintendo could release an add on if they need to', but they refrain from that as much as possible unless it's a miscellaneous hook up.

Most people just want something simple that will do most of what they want/need it to. A big COD fan could very well say, "Wii U is cheaper, has free online, and has COD with some extra Wii U features". As for the Ferrari vs. Honda Civic thing: We can only go 65 miles per hour on highways. That's the point I like to make that having a faster car basically never matters.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

rallydefault

107. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

HDMI 1.4a, which you probably have in your hoise right now, is already 4K @ 30FPS compatible. HDMI 2.0 is what ups it to 60FPS and a few oher features.

This is why I was saying around December, that I already 4K equipment laying around the house. If I was tech savy enough to tear apart my $400 audio receiver and know what I was doing, I'd be able to upgrade my HDMI ports without buying a the whole thing just for 4K. That's only in the case that I actually was able to get a 4K UHDTV, and anything actually utilized it.

You are correct, they are already compatible and are capable of displaying an image in 4k, but the next-gen consoles don't have the power to CREATE an image that will even look nice in 4k- that's my point. To push out even most recent releases in 4k at high graphics settings takes over double the GPU power the PS4 or Xbone have.

Now, if you're just talking popping in a BluRay or watching Hulu, than yea, the new consoles can do the 4k. But anything else? As in, the important stuff most of around here supposedly care about: GAMES - they're not ready.

rallydefault

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

108. Posted:

skywake wrote:

..... think about it. If SteamOS was a thing five years ago and their PS4 equivalent one was last years model would you be still hyped about PS4? Would you care about PS3 content still?

I would, but then again, I don't understand the whole SteamOS thing, and I'm still a little bothered by several of Steam's policies.

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~