Forums

Topic: Is it important that every next gen release runs at 1080p and 60 fps?

Posts 101 to 106 of 106

MikeLove

PC gaming will never make consoles extinct. They are two completely different things. Most people don't want to bother building PCs and having to upgrade and maintain them. Home consoles are much more convenient and accessible for your average gamer.

It's like saying that Ferrari's will eventually make Honda Civics obsolete, because they are superior automobiles.

MikeLove

SCRAPPER392

HDMI 1.4a, which you probably have in your hoise right now, is already 4K @ 30FPS compatible. HDMI 2.0 is what ups it to 60FPS and a few oher features.

This is why I was saying around December, that I already 4K equipment laying around the house. If I was tech savy enough to tear apart my $400 audio receiver and know what I was doing, I'd be able to upgrade my HDMI ports without buying a the whole thing just for 4K. That's only in the case that I actually was able to get a 4K UHDTV, and anything actually utilized it.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

FutureAlphaMale wrote:

PC gaming will never make consoles extinct. They are two completely different things. Most people don't want to bother building PCs and having to upgrade and maintain them. Home consoles are much more convenient and accessible for your average gamer.

It's like saying that Ferrari's will eventually make Honda Civics obsolete, because they are superior automobiles.

You're looking at it from the wrong perspective and I don't think anyone really knows what will happen. Certainly not people who think of consoles and PCs as two entirely different product types divided only by "easy" and "hard". What is certain is that it's not just a three console race anymore. We have seen Android boxes and SteamOS play their hand already both of which can easily be sold as appliances like consoles are.

Just face it, the game industry is the biggest entertainment industry in the world now and development costs are through the roof. People aren't as brand loyal as you think they are and the major third parties only care about selling as many units as possible. If a more open platform allows these open boxes to constantly be upgraded in the market then the traditional console will quickly become obsolete.

..... think about it. If SteamOS was a thing five years ago and their PS4 equivalent one was last years model would you be still hyped about PS4? Would you care about PS3 content still?

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
That's not true. If a game console allowed you to upgrade it, that wouldn't guarantee success. Sega tried the same thing. Granted they didn't stick with it on a consumer level, and ditched it t a commercial level, but upgrades are generally not what people look for unless they are into PC.

I've truly thought, 'oh well Nintendo could release an add on if they need to', but they refrain from that as much as possible unless it's a miscellaneous hook up.

Most people just want something simple that will do most of what they want/need it to. A big COD fan could very well say, "Wii U is cheaper, has free online, and has COD with some extra Wii U features". As for the Ferrari vs. Honda Civic thing: We can only go 65 miles per hour on highways. That's the point I like to make that having a faster car basically never matters.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

rallydefault

SCAR392 wrote:

HDMI 1.4a, which you probably have in your hoise right now, is already 4K @ 30FPS compatible. HDMI 2.0 is what ups it to 60FPS and a few oher features.

This is why I was saying around December, that I already 4K equipment laying around the house. If I was tech savy enough to tear apart my $400 audio receiver and know what I was doing, I'd be able to upgrade my HDMI ports without buying a the whole thing just for 4K. That's only in the case that I actually was able to get a 4K UHDTV, and anything actually utilized it.

You are correct, they are already compatible and are capable of displaying an image in 4k, but the next-gen consoles don't have the power to CREATE an image that will even look nice in 4k- that's my point. To push out even most recent releases in 4k at high graphics settings takes over double the GPU power the PS4 or Xbone have.

Now, if you're just talking popping in a BluRay or watching Hulu, than yea, the new consoles can do the 4k. But anything else? As in, the important stuff most of around here supposedly care about: GAMES - they're not ready.

rallydefault

CanisWolfred

skywake wrote:

..... think about it. If SteamOS was a thing five years ago and their PS4 equivalent one was last years model would you be still hyped about PS4? Would you care about PS3 content still?

I would, but then again, I don't understand the whole SteamOS thing, and I'm still a little bothered by several of Steam's policies.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun
Arooo~

I'm Glad the Switch was not a Sandwich Oven!

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic