Forums

Topic: is anyone worried about the wii U ??

Posts 121 to 140 of 154

Tate24

Am deeply worried!!!

but what is Nintendo doing about it?

Ive seen NO adverts for console or games its ridicules:(

If we knew how small we were are problems wouldn't seem so BIG!

Sean_Aaron

Kage_88 wrote:

Why on earth are gamers and media so desperate for Nintendo to become a clone of their competitors?

Agreed this is annoying. Nintendo should be focusing on the games first and foremost, playing DVDs and MP3s isn't part of the core offering and shouldn't be getting any significant attention from them. Without games the system may as well not exist.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

rallydefault

I understand the argument that "gaming is expanding"- I really do. I realize that a larger market wants more apps instead of games, and I would't be at all surprised if Microsoft's and Sony's new machines launch with more music and TV apps than actual games. That's just where gaming has gone.

But the reason I love Nintendo is because they are a video game company. They're not like Microsoft or Sony who have their hands in other pots. Nintendo can afford to focus on games because they aren't also worried about profits/losses in other divisions of their company. They are only hardware and software, both for games. They won't go out of business if they refuse to offer LastFM and TurboTax apps on the Wii U.

I see the same principle in our "real world." You open a small restaurant, for example. Maybe selling... I don't know, piggies in a blanket. Everyone in your city LOVES them. You have the best gosh-darned piggies in a blanket your city has ever tasted. The people clamor for more. They want you to expand. They don't want just piggies in a blanket- they want turkey in a blanket, veggies in a blanket, beef in a blanket, so on and so forth. Sure, you could expand to make more moolah and attract more people, but you have to spend more money to expand your physical space, hire more workers, buy different ingredients you never used before, etc. Your cost of operation goes way up. Microsoft and Sony are the same way. They "expanded," but their costs of operation are WAY higher than Nintendo, thus they MUST reach out to a wider audience. Nintendo, on the other hand, doesn't have an OS division, a TV division, a sound systems division, a tablet division, etc. They have their hardware (DS brand and Wii brand) and software divisions, which have now also been combined into one building for more efficiency.

Maybe they can afford to have a smaller market share and still turn a profit because they are so focused? In that case, I say focus on the games, Nintendo! That's what you do best, and that's what will make you different this generation.

rallydefault

Zolgar

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Kage_88 wrote:

Why on earth are gamers and media so desperate for Nintendo to become a clone of their competitors?

Agreed this is annoying. Nintendo should be focusing on the games first and foremost, playing DVDs and MP3s isn't part of the core offering and shouldn't be getting any significant attention from them. Without games the system may as well not exist.

I agree. I'd also be curious to know how many people DON'T have a DVD/BluRay/Multimedia device besides their console anyways. I understand the appeal of it, but when you can get all in one BluRay/DVD/NetFlix/Hulu/Vudu/Amazon Prime devices for ~$50-$100, I personally think those things should take a back seat on consoles.

3DS FC: 3754 - 7518 - 4293
STEAM: Thumbtack Jake
Case: CM 932 HAF Advance - Mobo: Gigabyte P67X - GPU: GTX680 - CPU: Intel i5 3570k - RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance - PSU: Corsair TX750v2 - SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB - HDD: WD Black 2TB - OS: Win7 x64 Pro

Bankai

rallydefault wrote:

I understand the argument that "gaming is expanding"- I really do. I realize that a larger market wants more apps instead of games, and I would't be at all surprised if Microsoft's and Sony's new machines launch with more music and TV apps than actual games. That's just where gaming has gone.

But the reason I love Nintendo is because they are a video game company. They're not like Microsoft or Sony who have their hands in other pots. Nintendo can afford to focus on games because they aren't also worried about profits/losses in other divisions of their company. They are only hardware and software, both for games. They won't go out of business if they refuse to offer LastFM and TurboTax apps on the Wii U.

I see the same principle in our "real world." You open a small restaurant, for example. Maybe selling... I don't know, piggies in a blanket. Everyone in your city LOVES them. You have the best gosh-darned piggies in a blanket your city has ever tasted. The people clamor for more. They want you to expand. They don't want just piggies in a blanket- they want turkey in a blanket, veggies in a blanket, beef in a blanket, so on and so forth. Sure, you could expand to make more moolah and attract more people, but you have to spend more money to expand your physical space, hire more workers, buy different ingredients you never used before, etc. Your cost of operation goes way up. Microsoft and Sony are the same way. They "expanded," but their costs of operation are WAY higher than Nintendo, thus they MUST reach out to a wider audience. Nintendo, on the other hand, doesn't have an OS division, a TV division, a sound systems division, a tablet division, etc. They have their hardware (DS brand and Wii brand) and software divisions, which have now also been combined into one building for more efficiency.

Maybe they can afford to have a smaller market share and still turn a profit because they are so focused? In that case, I say focus on the games, Nintendo! That's what you do best, and that's what will make you different this generation.

Nintendo was the most valuable company in Japan for a while at the height of the Wii and it is worth more than Sony still.

Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't get to play the 'small company' card. Its shareholders wouldn't appreciate it going backwards like that. It's going to have to sell everything you can imagine in a blanket.

Banker-Style

give it 6 month,and we're still in the same situation,then panic.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker
3DS XL FC:3265-6271-5244
In 3000 years time,people will remember the name,Da-Banker,for being such a [Censored]

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

SCRAPPER392

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I just don't get why they will keep selling Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles for premium price, years after they came out. Wii dropped to less than half price later in it's main life(before being overshadowed by Wii U), and the other consoles still just keep going along at premium price. I saw that $99 Xbox 360 4GB sale, and it's locking you into an XBox Live 2 year contract at $15 a month(3 times more than a pre-paid card). That's $99+$360 for an Xbox that's gonna get outdated in a couple years. I'd rather just wait and get an Xbox for $600, by saving and extra $200 bucks in the span of 2 years. Then, you have to pay more for the services, and games. I don't think you guys(or do you?) realize, that all the services you guys guys are paying for cost more than the console itself within just a year when it comes to Xbox 360?
As for PS3... Internet's free, but you need to buy games, dvds, blurays, and other services that will end up costing more than the console itself, too.
I would rather use free internet to get all those things for free, rather than paying for free stuff.

The point of an annuity payment model is that it fits in better with most adult's lifestyle. When it's a little difficult to justify dipping into the savings account for $600 up-front, it's much easier to pay a small amount each month over a couple of years. In effect it works no differently to a credit card, or personal loan, or a car, or mortgage. You end up paying more for the house with a mortgage too, but it's a little difficult to save up $500,000 in one hit.

Of course, when you're young and have minimal financial obligations it's easier just to pay for things upfront.

I bought my Vita as a 3G model, which meant that I paid for it as I would a mobile phone - $50/ month. I've cancelled out of the contract now (12 minimum payments), and yes, that meant I paid in total $600 over the course of the year.

I barely noticed $50/ month out of my wages though. $400 upfront, or whatever the Vita with a memory card would have cost, was a fair sized chunk out of my income, and I'm not a fan of living on instant noodles for a month so I can have a new toy.

As for PS3... Internet's free, but you need to buy games, dvds, blurays, and other services that will end up costing more than the console itself, too.

You kinda have to pay for games with Nintendo consoles too, buddy. And if you buy enough Wii games you end up paying more on games than the console. And if you have Netflix etc on your Nintendo devices you need to pay for that as well. I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about there.

I would rather use free internet to get all those things for free, rather than paying for free stuff.

The only way to get most of the stuff you described above for free is illegally.

I understand the payments, but video games aren't as nessesary as a house. I'd rather go 2 years without Xbox 360 by not buying one now, and waiting the extra 2 years, AND being able to afford it 2 times over, or get the new one. Physical media os dying, because it's easier, cheaper, more convenient, unbreakable, and can't be lost. As for getting things free on the internet, it's called YouTube. Music videos, TV episodes, or music in general is free.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

kereke12

I guess we have to wait for E3 this year and see what nintendo says about all of these

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

kereke12

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I just don't get why they will keep selling Xbox 360 and PS3 consoles for premium price, years after they came out. Wii dropped to less than half price later in it's main life(before being overshadowed by Wii U), and the other consoles still just keep going along at premium price. I saw that $99 Xbox 360 4GB sale, and it's locking you into an XBox Live 2 year contract at $15 a month(3 times more than a pre-paid card). That's $99+$360 for an Xbox that's gonna get outdated in a couple years. I'd rather just wait and get an Xbox for $600, by saving and extra $200 bucks in the span of 2 years. Then, you have to pay more for the services, and games. I don't think you guys(or do you?) realize, that all the services you guys guys are paying for cost more than the console itself within just a year when it comes to Xbox 360?

The point of an annuity payment model is that it fits in better with most adult's lifestyle. When it's a little difficult to justify dipping into the savings account for $600 up-front, it's much easier to pay a small amount each month over a couple of years. In effect it works no differently to a credit card, or personal loan, or a car, or mortgage. You end up paying more for the house with a mortgage too, but it's a little difficult to save up $500,000 in one hit.

Of course, when you're young and have minimal financial obligations it's easier just to pay for things upfront.

I bought my Vita as a 3G model, which meant that I paid for it as I would a mobile phone - $50/ month. I've cancelled out of the contract now (12 minimum payments), and yes, that meant I paid in total $600 over the course of the year.

I barely noticed $50/ month out of my wages though. $400 upfront, or whatever the Vita with a memory card would have cost, was a fair sized chunk out of my income, and I'm not a fan of living on instant noodles for a month so I can have a new toy.

You kinda have to pay for games with Nintendo consoles too, buddy. And if you buy enough Wii games you end up paying more on games than the console. And if you have Netflix etc on your Nintendo devices you need to pay for that as well. I have absolutely no idea what you're going on about there.

The only way to get most of the stuff you described above for free is illegally.

I understand the payments, but video games aren't as nessesary as a house. I'd rather go 2 years without Xbox 360 by not buying one now, and waiting the extra 2 years, AND being able to afford it 2 times over, or get the new one. Physical media os dying, because it's easier, cheaper, more convenient, unbreakable, and can't be lost. As for getting things free on the internet, it's called YouTube. Music videos, TV episodes, or music in general is free.

Yea i have to agree with u basically nothing free these days you have to pay for everything

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

Sean_Aaron

Bankai wrote:

Nintendo was the most valuable company in Japan for a while at the height of the Wii and it is worth more than Sony still.

Unfortunately Nintendo doesn't get to play the 'small company' card. Its shareholders wouldn't appreciate it going backwards like that. It's going to have to sell everything you can imagine in a blanket.

Maybe if the share price falls enough a management buyout would save Nintendo from trying to ape other systems and focus on what they do best. There may be short-term benefit to going public, but the penalties incurred by shareholder and analyst meddling don't seem to make it worthwhile in the long run.

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Amigaengine

Kage_88 wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

WingedFish wrote:

Am I the only one who is annoyed by the fact that gaming consoles are judged by what other services they carry, seemingly more then the games and game quality they were originally made for these days?

Yes. I mean I understand...everyone else's rebuttal to this post, but it still kind of annoys me.

This is a HUGE bugbear of mine.

For some reason, services provided by Sony/Microsft/Apple/etc. are viewed as the barometer for what is 'right' and 'wrong', and people seem to want Nintendo to follow in their footsteps, lest they be 'left behind' (looking at you, Pachter).

It annoys the hell out of me. Now, I'm not saying that Nintendo shouldn't ignore the financial successes enjoyed by their competitors as a result of their online services, but Nintendo should not lose sight of the fact that they need to boldly experiment with their online services; to provide unique experiences that can't be emulated by any of their competitors (but that won't stop them from trying, judging by history). Miiverse is a great example of Nintendo's playful ingenuity (even though the underlying social concept is as old as the hills), as was their special 'channels' found on the Wii (though not radically succssesful, were indicitave of the interesting things the company is willing to try).

+1

Amigaengine

kkslider5552000

Kage_88 wrote:

Because they are uncreative losers that will never amount to anything beyond whining on internet forums (btw: whining on internet forums is about the equivalent of credibility of some game journalists)

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Ryno

If you're worrying about the Wii U I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a console ain't one.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

SMEXIZELDAMAN

Ryno_Choryzo wrote:

If you're worrying about the Wii U I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a console ain't one.

Hit me!

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

ThePirateCaptain

Why are people doing the same doom and gloom speech they did when the 3DS came out? Everyone said that it would fail and this was the end. It just took some time for the system to pick up some steam, like any console really. I don't see why the Wii U should be any different, just give it some time and see what happens by the end of the year, then start complaining.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying in most of that; it makes no sense whatsoever.

The one bit I do understand is your comment regarding payments. I'm glad that you're happy to save for years to buy a console. Other people would like to have it straight away. Pretty awesome that there's a payment option for them too, isn't it?

CM30

CapnPancakes wrote:

Why are people doing the same doom and gloom speech they did when the 3DS came out? Everyone said that it would fail and this was the end. It just took some time for the system to pick up some steam, like any console really. I don't see why the Wii U should be any different, just give it some time and see what happens by the end of the year, then start complaining.

Agreed. It may not be doing fantastically now, but it's early days yet. Give it time and see if the Wii U still fails to sell after 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros, Metroid, etc. If it does then, well then you can worry.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

Snagrio

CM30 wrote:

CapnPancakes wrote:

Agreed. It may not be doing fantastically now, but it's early days yet. Give it time and see if the Wii U still fails to sell after 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Smash Bros, Metroid, etc. If it does then, well then you can worry.

Yeah seriously. Despite the whole "handicap" of being the least powerful of the Big Three, Nintendo has something much more important: IPs that everybody knows and loves, and will buy in the thousands (even millions).

Snagrio

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

DefHalan

I think the big boost to WiiU sales will happen when/if the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out for $600 or $700.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying in most of that; it makes no sense whatsoever.

The one bit I do understand is your comment regarding payments. I'm glad that you're happy to save for years to buy a console. Other people would like to have it straight away. Pretty awesome that there's a payment option for them too, isn't it?

Ya, I was typo-ing all over the place. I'd rather get the next Xbox for that price, then one that's on the way out the door. The only way it would be worth buying an Xbox 360 for $99, is of you weren't forced to buy Xbox Live. You're paying 3 times as much than you need to. I'm starting to think Xbox 360 and PS3 will still be the main console for those companies even in next gen, along with the new consoles being an enhanced sideshow. Physical media is dying to some extent, with digital being cheaper, convenient, and unbreakable.
I'm also starting to think that PS4 and Xbox 1080 will rely heavily on physical media, and internet won't do as much for those consoles as they are for the current ones. There's already alot of complaints about download times now, just think if/when there will be downloads for 60GB and over games, that cost $70-100, paying $20-60 for decent internet, and Xbox Live if that applies.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.