Forums

Topic: Interesting Facts About The Wii U.

Posts 1 to 20 of 60

Rukiafan7

The Wii U is actually selling about the same as the Gamecube was at this point in its life-cycle and the Wii U will surpass the amount of software that the Gamecube saw released in its life by the end of 2016 at the current rate that games are being released if you include the eshop releases! The Gamecube had around 650 games vs. the nearly 250 games released on the Wii U "with 150+ new titles expected to release from now until the end of the year" so the current state of the Wii U might be bad, but it's certainly not as bad as it could be or has been "in certain aspects" in the past.

However I'm not a blind fanboy so I do realize that the lack of support from major third party developers and publishers is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, but it's not doomsday for Nintendo by any stretch of the imagination.

Anyways what do you think the numbers for the Wii U will be compared to the Gamecube by the end of the current generation?

Owner of http://www.WiiWareWave.com

Be sure to enter our biggest European contest ever for a chance to win 1 of 9 great prizes: http://www.wiiwarewave.com/t5303-wiiwarewave-contest-european-summer-giveaway-bonanza
Stats
Reviews: 515
Features: 204
Developer's Interviews: 41

Twitter:

Jaz007

How will the software compare to Gamecube without most of the E-Shop games? I think that would be a more accurate way to predict how the software numbers compare.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

RedRocBoy

I just freakin' wish Nintendo would spend some money on new exclusives and advertise the console properly. It's an amazing console but it's like they don't what to do. Are maybe come E3 they'll ramp it up. At that investment meeting they talked about outsourcing their games to 3rd party devs and said their would be no more droughts. But we're kinda certainly in one.

RedRocBoy

jariw

RedRocBoy wrote:

But we're kinda certainly in one.

That's totally depending on what you're looking for. I already own way too many Wii U games that I will not have the time to fully complete, and still I want MK 8, Chid of Light, Armillo, Pier Solar HD and some other games that all arrive in the near future.

Current Top 15: Splatoon, MK8, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, Terraria for Wii U, Super Mario Maker, Affordable Space Adventures, SM3DW, Yoshi's Woolly World, Twilight Princess:HD, Stealth Inc. 2, LEGO City: Undercover, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, Runbow, Bayonetta 1+2

gage_wolf

@Rukiafan
"The Gamecube had around 650 games vs. the nearly 250 games released on the Wii U "with 150+ new titles expected to release from now until the end of the year" "

This is hardly comparable, as many titles being released for the Wii U are essentialy bargain mobile titles. The gamecube's numbers are for actual (for the most part) full-fledged retail titles. I understand people's inclination to look for the bright side of the Wii U situation, but the reality is it's just bad. Nintendo not only dropped the ball with the Wii U launch, but now they can't even keep up with their own comeback rhetoric. Remember this quote from Reggie at the end of last year:

“The way we’re going to be different is, we’re gonna certainly have a steadier pace of games – both for Wii U and for 3DS.”
“The marketing activity is going to be constant throughout the entire year. You tease me a little bit that ‘boy the first half [of 2013] was a little quiet,’ and y’know what, you look back and it was. We’re not going to be making that same mistake in 2014.”

Well, it's now April and how are things looking? We are getting less full-fledged retail games than last year, less Nintendo Directs, and I'm not seeing any new marketing pushes. Wii U year two looks to be worse than the first.

Edited on by gage_wolf

gage_wolf

Kaze_Memaryu

Simply comparing numbers won't explain anything.

The market has changed, the competition has changed, and especially the practices of developers have changed. It's an entirely different situation now compared to when the GameCube was out. So it's not really possible to compare those two consoles at all.

Nonetheless, I found those numbers to be rather interesting.

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD | Jonny Atma/GaMetal

MH4U: Suvvya (BOW|LBG|HBG|GL|CB|SA|SnS)

Xenoblade X: Suvvya (RANGE/DMG/TP)

MANE6 is back, and it's GLORIOUS!

Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

RedRocBoy

jariw wrote:

RedRocBoy wrote:

But we're kinda certainly in one.

That's totally depending on what you're looking for. I already own way too many Wii U games that I will not have the time to fully complete, and still I want MK 8, Chid of Light, Armillo, Pier Solar HD and some other games that all arrive in the near future.

Completely see your point. It's just that I think the Wii U deserves the same respect as the other consoles. The first party and the indie games are great but I wanna play the other big 3rd party games. It's just I wanna support the console fully.

RedRocBoy

GuSolarFlare

interesting fact about the WiiU:
is has the same name as Wii but with a U in the end and even having a similar name the system has a new standard control that has no focus on motion controls plus it's in HD.
Untitled


couldn't resist it

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

MikeLove

Are you counting VC titles in this number?

It's not really a fair comparison when all those GameCube titles saw retail releases, while you are counting $9.99 downloadable indie games as Wii-U releases. If you just count the physical releases, its not even close.

MikeLove

MAN1AC

Gamecube sales should never be used as some sort of bench mark for success or reassurance for obvious reasons.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

Peach64

GameCube was at 10 million after 18 months, Wii U is at 6 million.

Peach64

UGXwolf

All lulz aside, expecting a change so soon is beyond unrealistic. I'd say to take everything Reggie said about 2014 and shift it over about 18 months and then you'll have a valid complaint.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

skywake

Peach64 wrote:

GameCube was at 10 million after 18 months, Wii U is at 6 million.

It also had Smash Bros, Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Pikmin, and Metroid Prime by that point. They had played all their cards except Kart and still hadn't gained much momentum. In the next year they only got upto 15mill units total. EOL they only hit 20mill. Comparatively the Wii U is at 6mill, 4mill short of where the Gamecube was. However they still have Smash Bros, Zelda, Animal Crossing and Metroid up their sleeves.

I think it's pretty ballsy to be predicting now that the Wii U will end up with lifetime sales less than the Gamecube. The software they have almost ready to go should give them a fair bit of momentum.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake
Musics to set the tone: Think, Dance, Relax
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MuchoMochi

Here is a fun fact about the Wii U that everyone needs to know....

I love it

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

MAB

3rd party companies also didn't sell good even though they gambled by releasing on the Gamecube... So it never really mattered anyway

MAB

tobibra

The Wii U is better than PS4

I am from Norway. Pleas have in mind my english might not be the best. but I am trying ;)

Nintendo Network ID: hylfrid

Rin-go

I see the circle of mutual admiration is strong.

@skywake
Don't you know that you are a "blind fanboy" and that you are told "the truth"?

Rin-go

dizzy_boy

Here's something that I just found, I may have missed this in the descriptions, but it's still a nice little addition to the WiiU keypad.
If you hold your stylus on a letter, it'll bring up letters from foreign alphabets, rather than having to keep switching over to the alphabet you want. Not all letters have it though.

http://www.gamercreated.com/user/id/17078
NNID: Dr_Dizzy
I`ve been a slave from the cradle to the grave.

Spoony_Tech

I for one Just got my system 4 months ago and can't put it down. Loving every minute of it! I still want like 10 plus games and many more that haven't released yet.

Edited on by Lzeon

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

WHAT IS RETRO DOING??!!

Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

skywake

Rin-go wrote:

@skywake
Don't you know that you are a "blind fanboy" and that you are told "the truth"?

Sorry, I forgot that people expect a particular point of view. This is the internet so I shouldn't even try to consider the variables involved. The Wii U is bad and worse than everything else ever because. Why do you ask? Well because. Hey look, it only sold 6mill units in 18 months with a massive one of the five or so traditional system sellers for their platforms. The Gamecube did 10mill and it had only a measly four out of five.

And look at all of that third party support the Gamecube got. All of the big games of that period of time like GTA, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear it didn't miss out on. The Gamecube was obviously the platform to have. The Wii U gets shafted entirely, no third party support at all compared to the Gamecube. It's not like the Wii U has any of the best selling third party titles of 2012/2013 like Call of Duty, FIFA, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect, Need for Speed, Batman. Third parties have just ignored the Wii U entirely but the Gamecube got everything.

Is that a better response? I mean I have to go to an alternate universe to get there but still

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake
Musics to set the tone: Think, Dance, Relax
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic