Wii U Forum

Topic: Installing Batman takes > 4hrs?

Showing 1 to 20 of 65

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

1. Posted:

So I managed to download Batman Armored Edition (the download itself took ~4 hrs), and now the installation process itself seems to be laboriously slow. Has anyone else installed this digital download and have a similar experience, or might I be having a hardware issue? Any other tips pertaining to this would be appreciated too.

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

2. Posted:

Its more than likely the servers are busy due to everyone getting a Wii U today. Just sit back and relax.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

3. Posted:

Don't download retail games. Problem solved. :)

Yeah, it's basically what @Tasuki said. Just do something else while you wait and relax.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

4. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Its more than likely the servers are busy due to everyone getting a Wii U today. Just sit back and relax.

The software is already downloaded (and yes, even that took a while). I'm talking about the install phase, so it shouldn't have anything to do with the servers (unless they're doing something ridiculous like checking every little segment of data against some key on the server, but who would that ? :).

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Alexneon

5. Posted:

@riverfr0zen Wii U sucks...simple as that, gee 4 hours to install a game??' it take 10 minutes to install a 12g game on ps3, i was thinking on getting Zombi U on eshop and if i have the same install problem i let you know ok.

Edited on by Alexneon

NNID: Alexneon
PSN ID: Alexneon_
3DS FC: 0688-5474-9681

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5474-9681 | Nintendo Network ID: Alexneon

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

6. Posted:

@Alexneon Yeah, I'd appreciate to hear about others' experiences, just to make sure it's not an issue w/ my USB HDD or something. This is the first real problem I've had with it. Downloading/installing some of the smaller games was quite acceptable — but this is the first 'big' (18 GB?) game I've tried, and it installs directly on the USB drive, so was just wondering.

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

7. Posted:

People need patients in this day and age

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

8. Posted:

Alexneon wrote:

@riverfr0zen Wii U sucks...simple as that, gee 4 hours to install a game??' it take 10 minutes to install a 12g game on ps3, i was thinking on getting Zombi U on eshop and if i have the same install problem i let you know ok.

It takes me longer than that to download a 400mb demo on my ps3 and it takes me hours to download a game like section 8.

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

9. Posted:

We're talking about install times here, not download times. They're two separate parts of the process.

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

10. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

People need patients in this day and age

^This

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

11. Posted:

Tasuki wrote:

Hokori wrote:

People need patients in this day and age

^This

I feel like an old man, but I'm 19 and yet I have to tell 20-30 year olds to be patient.....

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lalivero

12. Posted:

Yet everyone is convinced that now is the perfect time to go all digital; funny stuff really.

To the OP though, it probably is just one of the wrinkles of the new system that they'll iron out over time. There are people who claim that the OS is running much better now yet I'm one of those who is still experiencing 20+ seconds of waiting for Miiverse to load. Just sounds like bad luck really but I'm sure it's something that could be fixed in the future.

...formerly - Chriiis

Nintendo Network ID: Lalivero

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tasuki

13. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

Tasuki wrote:

Hokori wrote:

People need patients in this day and age

^This

I feel like an old man, but I'm 19 and yet I have to tell 20-30 year olds to be patient.....

To be honest its just the age we live in. With stuff like fast food, instant messaging and stuff like that people arent use to waiting. They want it now.

Pushsquare moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

14. Posted:

Hokori wrote:

People need patients in this day and age

What am I, a doctor? :P

Anyway, Batman finally installed. The system claimed 4~ hours, but in reality the whole thing was about 6hrs.

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sean_Aaron

15. Posted:

I expect that the games are compressed for the actual download and need to be unpacked once on your system. Chasing Aurora took longer to install than I would expect considering it's only 100MB.

I do wish Batman was a retail download here as I was looking forward to that. I guess Koei gets my money instead!

BLOG, mail: sean@seanswiiworld.co.uk
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NImH

16. Posted:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I expect that the games are compressed for the actual download and need to be unpacked once on your system. Chasing Aurora took longer to install than I would expect considering it's only 100MB.

I do wish Batman was a retail download here as I was looking forward to that. I guess Koei gets my money instead!

That's exactly what I figured. Trine 2 was at, like 2hrs! It's all good, because you can still use the WiiU while it's downloading. :)
BTW SeanAaron, I sent you a request in Miiverse!

Edited on by NImH

NintendoNerd since 1986. Dream Address: 4900-2590-0032 Town: DeNile My Sadloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3239-3091-0052 | Nintendo Network ID: NImH37 | Twitter: NImH37

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

17. Posted:

NImH wrote:

That's exactly what I figured. Trine 2 was at, like 2hrs! It's all good, because you can still use the WiiU while it's downloading. :)
BTW SeanAaron, I sent you a request in Miiverse!

You can use the Wii U while it's downloading, but not while it's installing.

They are probably compressing it, but that's a damn slow unpack algorithm, if that is what the issue is. They really need to fix that.

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

18. Posted:

Jeez, some people here don't understand technology.
On topic, have you tried defragging your hard drive? Maybe something to do with its file system? I'm thinking it might be an issue with that, but I've never DL'd a retail game on Wii U so I really have no idea

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1

AuthorMessage
Avatar

riverfr0zen

19. Posted:

Well, supposedly you 're-format' the drive on the Wii-U before you can use it. However, this process has taken (at least for me) less than 5 seconds...so I don't really know what level of format has been done. I assume something has been cleared/formatted but haven't investigated that. Possibly de-fragging the drive before attaching/formatting with Wii-U may help — that may be something to check out.

[EDIT: It is a drive I'd previously used for other purposes, so there had initially been a lot of data all over it]

Edited on by riverfr0zen

riverfr0zen

Nintendo Network ID: siriusbee | Twitter: baigey

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Lan

20. Posted:

riverfr0zen wrote:

Well, supposedly you 're-format' the drive on the Wii-U before you can use it. However, this process has taken (at least for me) less than 5 seconds...so I don't really know what level of format has been done. I assume something has been cleared/formatted but haven't investigated that. Possibly de-fragging the drive before attaching/formatting with Wii-U may help — that may be something to check out.

[EDIT: It is a drive I'd previously used for other purposes, so there had initially been a lot of data all over it]

It could be failing, maybe try it on some other device, like a flash drive or SSD. Or just another HDD

Lots of censorship here...
3DS: 1676-4603-1823
Dragon friend safari

Nintendo Network ID: Dylan1