Wii U Forum

Topic: Inexpensive external hard drives compatible with WiiU?

Showing 1 to 9 of 9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Crimzonlogic

1. Posted:

I think I might need one soon, but I'm not all that familiar with them and don't want to spend a lot of money on one. I don't need a lot of storage, either. I don't plan to buy many games digitally, but I think I should have a plan if I want to buy more than my WiiU can store. (I think it only has a gigabyte left on it...) Almost all of the drives I find are one terabyte or more. There is no way I'll need a whole terabyte. There is a hard drive for sale from gamestop with 320gb and that seems like it would be plenty for me, but it costs eighty dollars. Is there a less expensive and simple hard drive that is good? Do they even come cheaper?

Give me snacks. Come on. Do it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

2. Posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB120X...

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B0...

I use these. You can get an ext HDD with any amount of space, but a y-cable will be required for USB powered ext. HDDs, most likely.

EDIT: This is just an example. The link is for a 2TB ext. HDD which requires a y-cable. There are 500GB of the sam model for around $60.
An AC powered HDD doesn't require the y-cable obviously.

A 500GB ext. HDD that requires the y-cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B...

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Crimzonlogic

3. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB120X...

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B0...

I use these. You can get an ext HDD with any amount of space, but a y-cable will be required for USB powered ext. HDDs, most likely.

That's too expensive and I don't need 2 terabytes. 500gb or less is enough.

Give me snacks. Come on. Do it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

4. Posted:

Crimzonlogic wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-HDTB120X...

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-dual-Micro-B-Cable-Black/dp/B0...

I use these. You can get an ext HDD with any amount of space, but a y-cable will be required for USB powered ext. HDDs, most likely.

That's too expensive and I don't need 2 terabytes. 500gb or less is enough.

That's why I said it's just an example. I put this link in an edit...
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B...

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Crimzonlogic

5. Posted:

That 500gb looks like a fair price. (I wonder why it didn't show up when I searched it before?)

Give me snacks. Come on. Do it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

6. Posted:

Crimzonlogic wrote:

That 500gb looks like a fair price. (I wonder why it didn't show up when I searched it before?)

It's really up to you. I recommend you get one with shock absorbers to avoid breaks from drops or movement while in use.
Just remember you'll need a y-cable for USB powered ones. I tested that HDD I linked without the y-cable(the standard cable it comes with), and USB 2.0 doesn't give enough power so it didn't work, which is why it requires a y cable to hook up to 2 ports.

Hope this helps. Also, don't listen to the reviews. Toshiba gives a 1-3 year warranty(you can find these at Best Buy as well), which will guarantee you'll have a working product. The bad reviewers also mainly tried to use it for MAC, which are picky machines when it comes to PC stuff sometimes ,or they tried to use it without a Y cable.
I can vouch for the Toshiba Canvio Portable. It works better than the AC powered one I had before...
Sorry for the long post. You have to order a Y-cable online, BTW.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

7. Posted:

Crimzonlogic wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

A 500GB ext. HDD that requires the y-cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B...

By the way, I know nothing about the y cables...Are there different types compatible with different brands, or would any work for this particular hard drive? (And thanks!)

Y cables of any brand will work for any drive. Just make sure you know the difference between the 2.0 and 3.0 micro b cables so you don't buy the wrong y cable.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Crimzonlogic

8. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Crimzonlogic wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

A 500GB ext. HDD that requires the y-cable.
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Portable-Hard-Drive/dp/B...

By the way, I know nothing about the y cables...Are there different types compatible with different brands, or would any work for this particular hard drive? (And thanks!)

Y cables of any brand will work for any drive.

Okay, thanks a lot.. :)

Give me snacks. Come on. Do it.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PK_Wonder

9. Posted:

My temporary solution cost me $12 at Best Buy. A sd card/usb adapter, which functions up to 32GB and allows an sd card to function as an external hard drive.

3DS Friend Code: 0602-7082-6398 (Paul)
nnid: PK_Wonder

New Leaf friends, please show the same courtesy I would for you - do not trample or steal my flowers, and I'll definitely be happy to share any fruit, just please ask first. I'm also a huge fan of online KI: Uprising, among other titles.

Nintendo Network ID: PK_Wonder