Forums

Topic: If you could change one thing about the Wii U what would it be?

Posts 121 to 134 of 134

R_Champ

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Replace the Gamepad with something that's actually more innovative.

Couldn't disagree more. Sure, they NEED to actually use it intelligently more often, but I LOVE to have a real-time map, inventory, off-screen play and asynchronous play. Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU were right on track (along with others), but sadly they're too few, and that's what I think needs to change. Well, and better gamepad batterey life and active notices that pop on your screen when you get messages (seriously, it's so simple, but so absent T_T).

A lot can be said bad about Wii U, but at least they're trying something different. I'm sick of MS and Sony flaunting their dumbed-down PC's like they're special. Newsflash: when you actually have a PC, they're not that special

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

shingi_70

Replace the gamepad with a normal controller, honestly I'd just take a PS4/One and put Nintendo games on it.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Bolt_Strike

R_Champ wrote:

Couldn't disagree more. Sure, they NEED to actually use it intelligently more often, but I LOVE to have a real-time map, inventory, off-screen play and asynchronous play. Xenoblade Chronicles X, Zelda U, Nintendo Land, and ZombiU were right on track (along with others), but sadly they're too few, and that's what I think needs to change. Well, and better gamepad batterey life and active notices that pop on your screen when you get messages (seriously, it's so simple, but so absent T_T).

A lot can be said bad about Wii U, but at least they're trying something different. I'm sick of MS and Sony flaunting their dumbed-down PC's like they're special. Newsflash: when you actually have a PC, they're not that special

Aside from off TV play (which doesn't offer any actual gameplay innovation), all of that could be done on other consoles. Map screen and inventory could be done on the DS and asynchronous play doesn't require a special controller. So what does the Gamepad do to provide next gen gaming experiences?

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kyuubikid213

@Bolt_Strike
Play Lego City, ZombiU, NintendoLand, and Game & Wario and you'll see the possibilities.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

iKhan

Bolt_Strike wrote:

As much as I'd love that, I think it's too late. They bet on the wrong thing, but now they are stuck with it. That's their 8th gen feature. Nintendo just needs to do their best with what they have and improve next gen.

(Yes, I deleted that Gamepad topic because I realized I was wrong)

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

crimsoncavalier

The Gamepad is a good idea, it is just being underutilized. Unlike the Wii remote that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (I'm looking at you, Skyward Sword), the Gamepad always works. It just needs to be used in the right way. The possibilities for different genres coming to the Wii U are limitless.

Real Time Strategy on the Wii U? Yes, please! Control your troops on the Gamepad, and watch the action unfold on the screen.

Turn-Based Strategy (a la Civilization) on the Wii U? Absolutely — that no one has done this yet is baffling.

SimCity-style game (heck, SimCity itself) on the Wii U? LIKE A GLOVE. These are the things developers should be looking at, not like Bayonetta did (Bayonetta is the best game on the Wii U, but making the game playable on the Gamepad was a waste).

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

DefHalan

crimsoncavalier wrote:

The Gamepad is a good idea, it is just being underutilized. Unlike the Wii remote that sometimes worked and sometimes didn't (I'm looking at you, Skyward Sword), the Gamepad always works. It just needs to be used in the right way. The possibilities for different genres coming to the Wii U are limitless.

Real Time Strategy on the Wii U? Yes, please! Control your troops on the Gamepad, and watch the action unfold on the screen.

Turn-Based Strategy (a la Civilization) on the Wii U? Absolutely — that no one has done this yet is baffling.

SimCity-style game (heck, SimCity itself) on the Wii U? LIKE A GLOVE. These are the things developers should be looking at, not like Bayonetta did (Bayonetta is the best game on the Wii U, but making the game playable on the Gamepad was a waste).

I agree. The type of touch screen the Wii U offers allows for a lot of genres that have been trapped on PC can now come to Wii U, or 3DS. Smart Phone touch screens are to imprecise. Wii U touch screen is fantastic.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

crimsoncavalier wrote:

The problem is that all the things you mention are ideas from the DS or 3DS. As far as single player goes, the Gamepad seems pretty limited in what it can do that is completely new (multiplayer is a completely different story, NintendoLand proved to me for the first time that assymmetric multiplayer isn't a horrible idea)

Also, as someone who loves business sims, I have to say I don't think they work well on a home console. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about playing those types of games on a handheld or computer that you just can't do with a home console. I don't think it's a matter of controls, I think it has more to do with a sense of multitasking and waiting.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

crimsoncavalier

DefHalan wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

I agree. The type of touch screen the Wii U offers allows for a lot of genres that have been trapped on PC can now come to Wii U, or 3DS. Smart Phone touch screens are to imprecise. Wii U touch screen is fantastic.

And this is one of my biggest frustrations with the console. I almost never touch the Gamepad. I literally touch it only to post MKTV videos, and only because I'm forced to do so.

Make games that use the Gamepad's capabilities to the fullest, and it will be worth it. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of power and space.

But truly, the possibilities are there. Someone just has to take advantage of it.

crimsoncavalier

crimsoncavalier

iKhan wrote:

The problem is that all the things you mention are ideas from the DS or 3DS. As far as single player goes, the Gamepad seems pretty limited in what it can do that is completely new (multiplayer is a completely different story, NintendoLand proved to me for the first time that assymmetric multiplayer isn't a horrible idea)

Never played NintendoLand, so I can't comment, but as far as the DS/3DS comment, those ideas may be from those handhelds, but it still hasn't been used to its fullest potential. How many RTSs are there on DS/3DS? One or two? None? I don't know of any. And don't count Fire Emblem or FF: Tactics, because those games have been around for a long time before. I'm talking about a new game that takes advantage of the hardware. I'm sure the number is close to zero.

Just because the ideas have been there for a while doesn't mean they're not still good ideas, and it certainly doesn't mean that they've been tried. No one has tried to bring an RTS or TBS game to DS/3DS or Wii U. Remember Civilization Revolution? What a POS that game was. You know what system that game could work on? Wii U. And they wouldn't even have to dumb it down like they did CivRev. They could do a REAL, FULL CIV GAME on it.

Also, as someone who loves business sims, I have to say I don't think they work well on a home console. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is something about playing those types of games on a handheld or computer that you just can't do with a home console. I don't think it's a matter of controls, I think it has more to do with a sense of multitasking and waiting.

Well, I suppose that's a personal preference. I play and love SimCity on my Mac, and I know for a fact if it came out for Wii U I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Sitting on my couch playing SimCity on my comfy couch, playing SimCity on my 65 inch TV would be heaven.

crimsoncavalier

DefHalan

crimsoncavalier wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

And this is one of my biggest frustrations with the console. I almost never touch the Gamepad. I literally touch it only to post MKTV videos, and only because I'm forced to do so.

Make games that use the Gamepad's capabilities to the fullest, and it will be worth it. Otherwise, it's a complete waste of power and space.

But truly, the possibilities are there. Someone just has to take advantage of it.

I want someone to create a game that is only possible on the GamePad. I have an awesome design for one but I need a team to help put it together. I am not a confident enough programmer to get it out within the Wii U's expected lifespan.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

iKhan

crimsoncavalier wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Never played NintendoLand, so I can't comment, but as far as the DS/3DS comment, those ideas may be from those handhelds, but it still hasn't been used to its fullest potential. How many RTSs are there on DS/3DS? One or two? None? I don't know of any. And don't count Fire Emblem or FF: Tactics, because those games have been around for a long time before. I'm talking about a new game that takes advantage of the hardware. I'm sure the number is close to zero.

Just because the ideas have been there for a while doesn't mean they're not still good ideas, and it certainly doesn't mean that they've been tried. No one has tried to bring an RTS or TBS game to DS/3DS or Wii U. Remember Civilization Revolution? What a POS that game was. You know what system that game could work on? Wii U. And they wouldn't even have to dumb it down like they did CivRev. They could do a REAL, FULL CIV GAME on it.

What I mean is that the resource of a secondary touch screen for an RT or TB strategy game has been around for a while. One of the Gamepad's biggest flaws in my eyes is that it isn't really bringing anything new to the table in terms of single player. It's mostly moving ideas from the Wii and DS to an HD system. Now if this was done for small costs, I wouldn't mind, but the Gamepad is an expensive piece of equipment ($140 for a replacement, I know that's not the cost added to the system, but it's indicative of a high impact on cost).

I'd have much rather seen Nintendo build upon the Wii remote for this system. Put better sensors, reduce lag, add a gyroscope to the nunchuck, and improve haptic feedback for a more immersive experience. While these are small changes, they have a big impact by making motion control viable in more types of games.

As much as I'd love to see something like this:

It's not viable, because it requires every player to wear something on their heads. That limits the audience.

crimsoncavalier wrote:

Well, I suppose that's a personal preference. I play and love SimCity on my Mac, and I know for a fact if it came out for Wii U I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Sitting on my couch playing SimCity on my comfy couch, playing SimCity on my 65 inch TV would be heaven.

Actually, I think I figured out what it is. When I play something on the big screen, I want a more immersive experience. I want to put myself into the world. Either that or I want a multiplayer experience. A Business sim is closer to something like Legos. It's a thinking and strategy exercise. I want to feel removed and omnipotent, and that's something I think is better achieved on a handheld or computer.

Edited on by iKhan

Bolt_Strike

iKhan wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

As much as I'd love that, I think it's too late. They bet on the wrong thing, but now they are stuck with it. That's their 8th gen feature. Nintendo just needs to do their best with what they have and improve next gen.

(Yes, I deleted that Gamepad topic because I realized I was wrong)

Well the thread topic is about what they would do differently, not necessarily what they could do NOW.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

crimsoncavalier

iKhan wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

iKhan wrote:

What I mean is that the resource of a secondary touch screen for an RT or TB strategy game has been around for a while. One of the Gamepad's biggest flaws in my eyes is that it isn't really bringing anything new to the table in terms of single player. It's mostly moving ideas from the Wii and DS to an HD system. Now if this was done for small costs, I wouldn't mind, but the Gamepad is an expensive piece of equipment ($140 for a replacement, I know that's not the cost added to the system, but it's indicative of a high impact on cost).

I'd have much rather seen Nintendo build upon the Wii remote for this system. Put better sensors, reduce lag, add a gyroscope to the nunchuck, and improve haptic feedback for a more immersive experience. While these are small changes, they have a big impact by making motion control viable in more types of games.

As much as I'd love to see something like this:

It's not viable, because it requires every player to wear something on their heads. That limits the audience.

Ah, I see what you're saying now. On that I agree. Sure, the concept has been done on the DS and 3DS. And I agree with you that for single-player experiences, the Gamepad has been lacking in use and creativity. However, that's something I think about the Gamepad in general. There are few games that take advantage of the Gamepad. The few games that let you use it seem ... gimmicky? I refer once again to Bayonetta being playable on the Gamepad. I mean, there was no point in it at all. Off-screen play isn't as widely used as portrayed, and having the Gamepad as a damage readout for Smash or a track map on MK8 just isn't good enough.

The only game I've played that actually uses the Gamepad how I envisioned was ZombiU. That's how I always pictured it. No menu to access your inventory, you can do it straight from the Gamepad. Of course, not all games need or should do this, but it's a good idea for some.

Again, just because the ideas have been around since the DS, they still haven't made their way to the systems. Even though the ideas are there, we still don't have a Civ game on DS/3DS. We should. It's entirely possible. On Wii U as well.

As far as the Wii remote ... I have mixed feelings about it. Playing FPSs on Wii was, and still is, the best way to play the genre. After playing Prime 3, I couldn't go back to games like F.E.A.R. or CoD on 360. I also prefer to play with Wiimote + Nunchuck because I can have my hands in a more relaxed position.

However, in almost all other aspects (1:1 movement, for example) the Wiimote was a bust. Skyward Sword was unplayable. Tilting the controller to fly or control the beetle was absolutely awful, and the so-called 1:1 sword fighting was a joke. I don't mind a little bit of waggle, don't get me wrong. Shaking the Wiimote to get out of, say, an enemy spider's web is ok by me. I loved Wii bowling and Wii golf (even though golf did not always work either), and I loved playing MLB The Bigs. There were concepts that work and some that didn't, and some of them, I think, would never work, even with more advanced motion sensing technology. I'd rather press A than swing the remote to swing Link's sword.

crimsoncavalier

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.