Forums

Topic: If you could change one thing about the Wii U what would it be?

Posts 101 to 120 of 134

AlexSays

DefHalan wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

If you think the name is the problem with the Wii U then think about your name. Does your name define you or do you define your name. If the advertising was better then the name Wii U would have been defined better. Having a different name wouldn't have done anything without that name being defined differently than the Wii U has been.

Surely you see how the names of people are quite a bit different than products being sold in stores.

Yes, but this is what we call an analogy. The way your actions represent you, and in a way your name, is the way a product's actions and advertisements represents its name

Yes, and in accordance with your great analogy, if Best Buy sold an Alex last year, had a lot of older Alex's in stock, and then try to sell me as a newer model along with the old Alex's, it may help to tweak my name a bit to differentiate.

AlexSays

DefHalan

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

AlexSays wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

If you think the name is the problem with the Wii U then think about your name. Does your name define you or do you define your name. If the advertising was better then the name Wii U would have been defined better. Having a different name wouldn't have done anything without that name being defined differently than the Wii U has been.

Surely you see how the names of people are quite a bit different than products being sold in stores.

Yes, but this is what we call an analogy. The way your actions represent you, and in a way your name, is the way a product's actions and advertisements represents its name

Yes, and in accordance with your great analogy, if Best Buy sold an Alex last year, had a lot of older Alex's in stock, and then try to sell me as a newer model along with the old Alex's, it may help to tweak my name a bit to differentiate.

And you know what would have been better for selling the AlexU? Advertising it well.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

ok, lets break this down then... person walks into the shops and sees this:
Untitled
That's all the information they have.

Putting myself into the shoes of an average consumer I don't think the name is a huge deal. I just don't. But there are other things I think could have confused people. Again, 32GB? I think that immediately makes people think this is a low-end or portable device. People subconsciously do a $/GB thing. It was a mistake to have two SKUs and to push that number into people's faces. Also if "it's just a tablet" actually was a problem then telling people it has a tablet-ish amount of memory doesn't help.

Second problem is what the hell is Nintendo Land? Going back to the Wii they had the WiiMote on the front and "Wii Sports" which showed a collection of what were obviously sporting things. Even if you missed the ads you could probably guess that you grab the WiiMote and swing it like a bat especially given that the cheezy bat accessories were usually next to it in the shop. Even later with Mario Kart Wii they had a Wheel in it, people laughed but that just further rammed home the retail message. For Nintendo Land, what is it? Is it some kind of Angry Birds thing with Nintendo characters? Even knowing what it is it's pretty hard to explain to someone without showing them.

Compare this to their competitors:
Untitled
These guys don't have any problems, it's immediately apparent exactly what's going on there to everyone. Because it's the same sales pitch it was last time. So no, I don't think the name was a huge deal and I don't think advertising was a problem. I think it's more a case of them having a harder sell and not having enough content to give them the required momentum. They're starting to pick up steam now but at this point they've already been overtaken and even overlapped.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AlexSays

Some things sell themselves man, some things sell themselves

The ladies would be all over an Alex U, no commercials required

AlexSays

DefHalan

I think @skywake nailed it. But I put the problems you talked about under advertising. The Box the Wii U comes in is part of the advertising. I bet if the GamePad showed a screen shot from the Metroid Blast mini-game and the "NintendoLand Included" sticker was positioned closer to that screen shot it would have shown off the console and game better. It is the simple things like that, that would have involved advertisement.

So while I think you made great points, I would classify those points under advertising.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
I think that only makes a difference between Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U, while the type of confusion we were talking about was between Wii and Wii U.

So the discussion has gone from being confused between Wii and Wii U, to determining value and message between Wii U, Xbox One, and PS4. That's what I got from your post, anyway.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

AlexSays

I do agree they could have done a bit more with the box..

Instead they threw it in the pretty blue and were like 'we got dis'

Untitled

AlexSays

SCRAPPER392

@AlexSays
I don't really get the gif. Is Nintendo or Xbox and PS the number 0 Lakers guy?

Qwest

skywake

@DefHalan
When people usually whine about advertising with the Wii U it's almost always about the volume of adds. I'm saying that the bigger problem was the game they tried to push the Wii U with and the fact that there was an 8GB SKU at all. They did have a unique product and some better messaging around that would have helped, and that would be better advertising. I just don't think that advertising is the big difference between the success of the Wii and the mediocrity of the Wii U people like to think it was.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

AlexSays

SCAR392 wrote:

I don't really get the gif.

It has deep philosophical meaning

Watch it enough and the light shall shine upon you

AlexSays

AlexSays

Also Swaggy P would take offense to you not knowing who he is

So would his woman. she's so fancy, you already know

AlexSays

SCRAPPER392

AlexSays wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I don't really get the gif.

It has deep philosophical meaning

Watch it enough and the light shall shine upon you

So, Swaggy P or whoever that is, is cheering that the other team didn't make a basket? That doesn't seem very sportsmanlike.

Qwest

AlexSays

Yeah you got it man

Not very sportsmanlike at all, I agree

AlexSays

iKhan

skywake wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Graphics are something that is super easy to convey to an audience at first glance. If a game looks visually impressive, the system looks more "new". Graphics aren't the only thing that does this, but they are one of them.

I think for the average consumer graphics are more about marketing than actual improvements in visuals. Not saying that there's not a difference between the various options or that the jump in fidelity isn't worth it. Just saying that if people hear that a console is powerful? They'll believe it and that'll be all that matters. Also unless you have an identical game and are running the same scene side by side? It's pretty hard to tell.

I don't know about that. I think the graphics that are advertised for a game is what makes the hype. Now those graphics may be a complete lie like in Watch Dogs, but people get excited for newer prettier graphics. Just hearing about it wouldn't make much sense. Hell, the Wii U was actually advertised as being more powerful than the 360.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

rallydefault

SCAR392 wrote:

@AlexSays
I don't really get the gif. Is Nintendo or Xbox and PS the number 0 Lakers guy?

It's implying that Nintendo just "threw up" the Wii U, assuming the success of the Wii would be more than enough to sell the console.

Also, people who post GIFs believe they are endlessly witty.

Combine the two, and you have a recipe for limitless emotion.

rallydefault

crimsoncavalier

I can only pick one thing?

First, let me say that I find the Wii U second only to the GameCube as Nintendo's all-time best console. I've had more fun with it than any other console I've owned since the GCN, and as it stands, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. HOWEVER there are things that could make it even better.

Better online integration

• I like that I can join my friend playing Smash if she's online, but that should be an option for all games, not just Smash, and it should be a system thing, not a game thing. I should be able to chat with my friends in menus, and there should be parties. If I want to play Mario Kart with 5 of my friends, we should be able to go as a group into a room and play with 7 strangers, but be able to stay together.
  • Miiverse is such a good idea, but it is so watered-down. Grow a pair and let people get on it. Quit censoring EVERYTHING. I've never been banned (I'm not a 9 year old that thinks drawing penises is funny) but I think some of the stuff that gets censored is absurd. I once posted a picture of a kargaroc in its nest and wrote "little does he know death is imminent" and it got taken down. Why? Because I mentioned death? So it's ok to kill the stupid bird, but it's not ok to talk about it? Beyond stupid.
  • More apps! I don't use the Wii U to watch YouTube, but there should be more things you can do with it. I know MS owns Skype, so you can't get Skype on the Wii U, but maybe they should do a deal with apple and allow iChat or FaceTime. I think it would be awesome to be able to chat with people on their computers or phones from my Wii U. It's not something I'd use every single day, but it would be something cool to have. I'd certainly use it more often than YouTube.
  • TiiVii, or whatever the heck it's called. Make it not suck. It sucks. It's wholly and utterly useless and stupid. Make it not suck or get rid of it.

The Operating System/Hardware

• The Gamepad needs to (1) become a secondary peripheral or (2) have the capability of being turned off, period. I get the premise of the Gamepad. I understand what Nintendo was going for with it, and I think it's a good idea, if used properly. But when it is not used properly, or when it isn't necessary at all, it's a complete waste of time. I NEVER use the Gamepad. I use it to post to Miiverse (MKTV, for example), and I used to use it when MK8 didn't have an on-screen map of the track. But now, I turn on my Wii U with my Pro Controller, and immediately turn off the Gamepad display. The fact that once I start Netflix, I can't use the Pro Controller at all — EVEN TO TURN OFF THE CONSOLE OR GO TO THE HOME SCREEN — pisses me off beyond reason. The battery life on it is laughable as well.
  • Speaking of the Home Screen, it should be accessible 100% of the time. There should never be a time when I can't press the home button and the home screen pops up. It should always come up, even if I'm online, even if I'm watching the Smash intro video. At no point should I not be able to access the home screen.
  • I'd like to be able to pick what games appear on the WaraWara Plaza. Additionally, if my friends are actually online and playing a game that appears on the plaza, I should be able to join the game from there (this goes back to my online integration points)
  • Internal storage should be bigger. If they're offering to let us download games, videos, etc., they should provide us with more than just 32 GB of memory. And don't tell me "just get an external HDD". I shouldn't have to. Neither the XBO nor the PS4 make you get an external. The Wii U, being a current-gen console as well, should not either.
  • Graphics ... eh, let's face it. The little guy could use a little more umpf under the hood. A lot of our "problems" would be solved if the Wii U packed a little more graphic punch. Not saying I'm a graphics whore — I am not, but there's no denying we're missing out on some stuff because the Wii U simply can't run some of those games, and that's a shame.
  • More VC. It was a big deal on the Wii, but it has been forgotten on the Wii U. Additionally, I should be able to get the games on my Wii to my Wii U (VC) without having to pay for them again. It was a mistake to not have the two shopping systems talk to each other. I want Super Mario Kart on my Wii U, but I won't pay for it again. I've already downloaded it once on the Wii.

Advertising

I'll add my two cents to this conversation. The name "Wii U" isn't necessarily the main problem. The problems are the advertising AND the logo. Look at the Wii U logo. Can you even tell that the blue thing next to the word "Wii" is a U? You really can't. Look, the name Wii U sucks, but steps could have been taken to lessen the negative impact of the name. Making the U more clear to see as a separate entity would have helped. If I see a box and I only see the Wii with a blue thing next to it, I think to myself, this is a Wii add-on/peripheral. I don't think, this is a new console. Even if I know that there's a thing called "Wii U" that's a new console, I still may not be able to tell because of the logo.

And for the love of all that is just in this world, more TV ads. I see a stupid commercial for Halo or "Greatness Awaits" no matter what channel I'm watching, but I hardly see any "Settle it in Smash" commercials. Nintendo has to advertise more. That's Business 101.

tl;dr - the Wii U is awesome, I love it, but there are things that could be changed that would make it even better. Some of them can't be changed now, and that's a shame, but the Wii U is still awesome.

Edited on by crimsoncavalier

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

kyuubikid213

On the topic of the "Wii U name is confusing" debate, it's not a valid argument anymore. It wasn't a valid argument a month after the system launched. If there are still people who can't tell the difference between the Wii and Wii U in name alone aren't trying. In a world of internet and smartphones it takes a five second search to see how the two are different.

On the topic of "The box information is confusing" debate, I don't know anyone that would make that mistake. Hang on, wait. I do. My grandma. Years ago, she bought my brother and I a DS Lite thinking it was a home console, not a portable. If you're saying the average consumer is my grandma, you have a point there, but as far as packaging is concerned, the GamePad is obviously a controller and you can see the Wii U console behind it. What's NintendoLand? If your interest has been piqued enough by the rest of the box to, I don't know, take a closer look, you'll see that it's "Included" and other information on the box will tell you what it is. If that kind of logic goes entirely over the head of the consumer, there are sales representatives that are being paid to know what products they're selling...at the very least WHAT it is if not EVERYTHING about it.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

LzWinky

The Wii has mostly faded out of existence too, even the Mini is rare these days

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

iKhan

WaLzgi wrote:

The Wii has mostly faded out of existence too, even the Mini is rare these days

I know this isn't a reliable source in the slightest, but I saw an upsetting number of Wii Minis in peoples carts on Black Friday.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Bolt_Strike

Replace the Gamepad with something that's actually more innovative.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.