Forums

Topic: idea to attract ps4/xboxone customers to wii u

Posts 101 to 114 of 114

SCRAPPER392

@sub12
Microsoft and Sega were collaborating on part of the Dreamcast, too. I totally get why people would go from N64 to Xbox, though. If you wanted powerful graphics, N64 was the console to get, regardless of the cartridge vs. CD debacle. I think N64 even had the best version of Doom, which was a big game on PC. That associations between what PC gaming and console gaming were, is what I think made Microsoft decide to invest in Xbox.

@skywake
Well, I'm pretty sure PS4 is outselling Xbox One in the U.S, so I guess people are showing patriotism for Japan?

EDIT: Also, what @Beetlejuice says is true. iPhone is designed in California, but manufactured in China. You're giving some money to China, whatever amount it may be, so it's not all American anymore.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

VmprHntrD

I really don't think you could attract a PS4/One customer to the system, not on any added fluff, filters, filler, and other stuff and definitely not third party releases. What you do to reel in one of them is have a solid constant set of first and second party releases that are so damn good you want to buy a second system to play the games. Beyond that, you need to start doing something they've rarely done in 2 years — RUN ADS so people know those things exist. I see a lot of nice pictures and arguments here, but people who buy Apple or Sony or whatever will buy that, not something else just because it's there, they have to have a unique reason, not a copycat feature or interface.

My Personal Video Game / Accessory List
http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

skywake

SCAR392 wrote:

@skywake
Well, I'm pretty sure PS4 is outselling Xbox One in the U.S, so I guess people are showing patriotism for Japan?

I wasn't talking absolute sales I was talking sales relative to other regions. PS4 is outselling the XBOne in the US but it's outselling XBOne more in other regions than it is in the US. XBox sells best in the US, it just does.

Also people have gone a bit off the tracks here, I wasn't saying that Americans buy XBOne because 'murica. I was saying that if there is a "brand loyalty" to Microsoft that extends out to XBox purchase as you claimed was the case in your first post it's more of an American thing. It doesn't exist to the same degree in other territories despite the fact that Microsoft dominates the PC market globally. And given it seems to be largely an American thing? Seems reasonable to assume that some sort of American Patriotism could explain the additional love XBox receives in the US.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaviarMeths

The reason that the Xbox 360 sold so well in America is because it was the All-American Dudebro box. It was where you and your frat and/or stoner buddies played shooters and sports. That's a huge demographic. Realistic war sims are just much more popular in America than they are anywhere else in the world, and Xbox Live was marketed and sold as the superior online playground.

The XB1 sales in America are carryovers of that. People who don't want to abandon their Xbox Live friend list, or those who are still under the impression that the Xbox brand offers a better online experience.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

SCRAPPER392

Meh. I wasn't playing Xbox 360 for shooter and sports games; not entirely, at least. I played Gears of War, Bioshock, and Halo, but I was also playing Banjo Kazooie, Lost Odyssey, Geometry Wars, etc. There are usually alot of other good games on Xbox 360 besides just shooter games and such. The only sports game I ever played on 360 was Skate.

Qwest

kkslider5552000

That's the unfortunate thing tbh. 360 does have some variety. It does have games that are well liked and sold well. But that's not what it's known for and not why it was a success (either that or Microsoft threw that variety away to focus on Kinect).

In the same way that Wii was the last remnant of quality hardcore mid-tier devs (barring maybe 3DS), but no one played most of those games compared to Carnival Games so it "doesn't matter". Because. :/

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

@kkslider5552000
They threw the variety away, because people weren't buying. 360 had an exclusive Tales game, IRRC, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, etc. Those were all specifically made to appeal to other customers that usually buy those games, but people didn't buy them, because they didn't care about 360, which makes the entire situation ironic and people look hypocriticall. It's all part of that self-fulfilling prophecy BS.

That's why I'm saying games like Bayonetta 2 and Devil's Third are actually kind of a big deal, but people aren't caring about games they normally would, just because it's on Nintendo. This crap happens all the time.

Qwest

rallydefault

Yea, I was also mostly a PC gamer when the original Xbox was around (I had a PS2, as well ...that was the same time, right? lol), and I remember having absolutely NO desire to get the system. I remember my friend got one, and I just couldn't stand the controller. It literally hurt my hands to hold it for any extended amount of time. And I was not impressed with the games it had. At all. Honestly, I was kind of ticked that Sega dropped out and Microsoft was shoving in on the console business, so I kept to PC/PS2.

rallydefault

AbsolutSnake

kkslider5552000 wrote:

A short list of game genres the AAA market has mostly abandoned that Nintendo could support
-Survival Horror
-Non-action stealth games
-Traditional strategy games
-JRPGs
-Platformers that aren't mostly based on co-op
-Japanese games that don't intentionally appeal specifically (if not exclusively) to western audiences
-Non-linear games that aren't huge open world games

just as a start

This so much... They need a variety of game genres, sure if they had these games it won't make PS4/Xbone customers jump over immediately but it will at least make them think twice about Ninty. Instead of just a console that has Mario, MKart, Zelda and SSB

On a side note, I'm surprised that after all these years Ninty doesn't have its very own studio that produces a Driving/Racing sim. A studio that can push the limits of its hardware.

Do they have one?
Sony - GT & DC the gfx for this game is off the charts
MS - Forza
Ninty - ???

Edited on by AbsolutSnake

AbsolutSnake

CaviarMeths

Kodeen wrote:

AbsolutSnake wrote:

Do they have one?
MS - Forza
Ninty - ???

Seeing as how the most common comment I see on Project CARS articles is "I don't like sim racers, prefer Mario Kart", I think it would be a lost cause.

Right, but we're talking about how to sell the Wii U to PS/XB fans, not how to sell the Wii U to Wii U fans. Racing sims sell well on both Xbox and Playstation. Having an exclusive one on Wii U might not be a bad idea.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Zanark

Make Bayonetta 2 a system exclusive. PS4 and XBone fans will come flocking in in the hundreds.

Edited on by Zanark

Friend code: 1934-1399-5355

Dreamsleep

I think a lot of people that buy the WiiU, are pre-disposed to buying the PS4, seeing as they both have Japanese style games on them. Just a hunch.

Atari 2600, Commodore 64/128, Sega Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, PC, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Wii, PSP, DSi, PS3, 3DSXL, WiiU

Faruko

Same as Wii, make the console exciting enough to be a "second" console, the Wii was cheap and had some great games, so far the WiiU has been so-so in both places, its not as cheap as i would like it to be and while it does have some great games, i think the Wii had them in more quantity (i would not devate about quality)

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

shingi_70

CaviarMeths wrote:

Kodeen wrote:

AbsolutSnake wrote:

Do they have one?
MS - Forza
Ninty - ???

Seeing as how the most common comment I see on Project CARS articles is "I don't like sim racers, prefer Mario Kart", I think it would be a lost cause.

Right, but we're talking about how to sell the Wii U to PS/XB fans, not how to sell the Wii U to Wii U fans. Racing sims sell well on both Xbox and Playstation. Having an exclusive one on Wii U might not be a bad idea.

It would take years for Nintendo to get to the level of Forza and GT, at ths point make a uber simish F-zero game.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.