Forums

Topic: How many of you ONLY own a Wii-U for next gen gaming?

Posts 381 to 400 of 416

Dezzy

jariw wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

Kosmo wrote:

seeing how the Wii U emulates the Wii, which itself emulated a GameCube, at no added costs, definitely puts me off.

The difference is though that neither the Wii U nor Wii emulated. The Wii U has the same architecture as the Wii and can run games natively off the hardware, no emulation required. It doesn't cost you anything because it doesn't cost Nintendo anything. Same goes for the Wii with Gamecube games.

It's based on the same architecture, but there are also huge differences in architecture. When running in Wii mode, the Wii U CPU runs at one single (down-clocked) core, the GPU runs in a compatibility mode, and so on. The "cost" for the user is that the Wii mode is a separately booted machine, so a Wii game can never appear within the Wii U operating system.

I was about to say that! Wii games are definitely being run in some kind of virtual environment, otherwise there'd be no need to boot the whole wii menu page before running the games.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

crimsoncavalier

foobarbaz wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

You still can't call it the same thing. Getting an entry in a series once every 6 years and an annual or biannual entry are not the same.

Go hop on a non-Nintendo gaming forum, try that argument and see how well it goes over

Lol that's hardly the point. Just because the argument is made doesn't make it a good/reasonable argument

I'm not disagreeing that people say that, I'm just pointing out the fact that it isn't the same thing.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

shingi_70

So regarding Backwards compatability what happens to every thing (Wii games, Wii U titles, DD, VC) once Nintendo makes the shift to a X86 hardware?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

DefHalan

shingi_70 wrote:

So regarding Backwards compatability what happens to every thing (Wii games, Wii U titles, DD, VC) once Nintendo makes the shift to a X86 hardware?

Only Nintendo knows

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

shingi_70 wrote:

I think they would make an ×86 version of the OS that can recognize those files. Then, just let the OS do the work. That's IF they ever go to ×86.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Ryno

shingi_70 wrote:

I can tell you one thing, major complaining from those who can't play games from the previous generation on their new system. You think paying $1 or a $1.50 per game was bad to play a game on a new system, just wait...

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

CaviarMeths

foobarbaz wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

You still can't call it the same thing. Getting an entry in a series once every 6 years and an annual or biannual entry are not the same.

Go hop on a non-Nintendo gaming forum, try that argument and see how well it goes over

Nah, internet video game enthusiasts are actually relatively well-informed, at least compared to the mass market. I have gone on non-Nintendo sites, NeoGAF, IGN, etc, and people are generally neutral towards the Wii U at worst. Sites that skew towards PC gaming are much warmer towards the Wii U than they are towards the PS4 or XBO. GAF is actually pretty notable for having great love for Nintendo games, even if not the machines themselves.

Example, quick glance at the front page and I saw this: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=953875, notice a pattern in the replies?

Another recent thread, this one is pretty heartwarming if you're feeling disillusioned about being a Wii U owner: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=951256

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Kuksenkov

I did that for 6th and 7th generations... Man I missed an incredible amount of PS2 gems, I still want them. I was thinking about going Nintendo-Only this Gen AGAIN, but the 360 opened my eyes at how much great games I missed last Gen, and the JRPGs I'll miss this Gen. I can't allow that to happen again, so I'll get an Xbone or PS4 eventually after FF XV is out.

Avid collector of Japanese music/films/videogames physical releases.

www.shadycandyshop.blogspot.com

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

Kuksenkov wrote:

I did that for 6th and 7th generations... Man I missed an incredible amount of PS2 gems, I still want them. I was thinking about going Nintendo-Only this Gen AGAIN, but the 360 opened my eyes at how much great games I missed last Gen, and the JRPGs I'll miss this Gen. I can't allow that to happen again, so I'll get an Xbone or PS4 eventually after FF XV is out.

snicker implying Ps3 and Xbox One will get more than a handful of JRPGs

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

AlexSays

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Kuksenkov wrote:

They're still the best option, and there were more than just a 'handful' on the PS3 and 360.

Not sure why that's something worth 'snickering' about

AlexSays

DefHalan

AlexSays wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Kuksenkov wrote:

They're still the best option, and there were more than just a 'handful' on the PS3 and 360.

Not sure why that's something worth 'snickering' about

Compared to PC, consoles just get a "handful"

AlexSays

What are all the big JRPG franchises not represented on consoles? I've heard more PC users complain about a lack of JRPGs than I have people with consoles. Especially when it comes to Tales fans.

AlexSays

DefHalan

AlexSays wrote:

What are all the big JRPG franchises not represented on consoles? I've heard more PC users complain about a lack of JRPGs than I have people with consoles. Especially when it comes to Tales fans.

I never said there were lots of big JRPGs on PC, just that there are A LOT of JRPGs on PC. I do wish Tales of would move away from Playstation exclusive. We want you on Wii U too

also I am not sure if Tales of truly counts as a JRPG either, I know people lump it up in that category but I am not sure if it belongs there.

Edited on by DefHalan

AlexSays

That doesn't mean a whole lot if consoles get the majority of the critically acclaimed titles, and the PC is flooded with lower quality titles nobody really cares about.

Even then I'm not sure where all these JRPGs are for the PC. Nevertheless, I'll take your word for it because I'm too lazy to comb through metacritic game lists tonight.

Assuming that's true, that's till hardly a reason to poke fun at someone saying they're buying a console for the genre. What is he expected to do, build a PC when the JRPGs he cares about might be on consoles anyways?

No, let him be

If the Tales games aren't JRPGs, I have no idea what is

But that's another conversation I'm not motivated enough to have, so call them whatever you'd like

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

DefHalan

AlexSays wrote:

That doesn't mean a whole lot if consoles get the majority of the critically acclaimed titles, and the PC is flooded with lower quality titles nobody really cares about.

Even then I'm not sure where all these JRPGs are for the PC. Nevertheless, I'll take your word for it because I'm too lazy to comb through metacritic game lists tonight.

You sure do love Metacritic, a lot of PC games never touch Metacritic. If they are just looking for the biggest budget JRPGs then they will probably be fine with a console. If he is worried about missing out on a lot of JRPGs then a cheap PC would probably work better. But that is his choice, one that I don't really care about.

sub12

To be honest the reason why I chose the PS4 over the XB1, despite both being good systems, is that Sony is more likely to receive mid tier Japanese titles, I think this week's release of Guilty Gear Xrd is a good example of that.

sub12

skywake

foobarbaz wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

Well you'll always get that just like you'll always get the trash-talking about the other platforms on a Nintendo gaming forum. It's just how it is. That said when I talk on a PC gaming forum about Nintendo stuff it's usually pretty positive. There was a thread about that Zelda demo from a couple of weeks ago and of the ~30 comments about 80% were along the lines of "Wii U + PC gaming masterrace", "the Wii U is the only console I want" and "this looks fantastic". The rest was a short discussion instigated by one dude wondering how good the final product could possibly look given that the Wii U is somewhere between the 360 and PS4 in terms of horsepower.

Also when I answer with "you have a PC yeah? Then Wii U" in threads about which console people should get between XBOne/PS4 I usually just get nods of agreement. So I don't think it's quite as vitriolic as you think. But maybe that's just how PC gamers are and it's worse on Sony/MS forums....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Kuksenkov

Woah... So much for an opinion.

As an user above stated: PS4 might also get more support from Japanese developers, which is great because I love "niche" Japanese games.

And when it comes to JRPGS, PC does get many more than consoles; but so do iOS/Android devices, and we all know they 're not usually of the highest quality.

Wii held itself so well when it came to JRPGS: Monster Hunter, Pandora's Tower, Fragile Dreams, Arc Rise Fantasia, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, The Crystal Bearers, Echoes Of Time... Wonderful games, but it sadly didn't get many other beautiful games such as Eternal Sonata.

Wii U is giving me the chance to legally play Fire Emblem and Golden Sun without paying high prices for loose carts! So I'm glad for that, but it surely won't get FF XV, Type-0 HD, Godzilla, or perhaps a new Twisted Metal...

Why settle down with one option only?

Avid collector of Japanese music/films/videogames physical releases.

www.shadycandyshop.blogspot.com

Twitter:

CaviarMeths

PC has "a lot" of JRPGs if you mean that they have a lot of Final Fantasy ports and fan-translated VNs. The Sony ecosystem is always going to have the most JRPGs, but there were a few must-haves last gen that were exclusive to 360, such as Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, and Tales of Vesperia.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

I dunno. Xbox One has been the most definitive failure I can imagine in Japan, and Ps4 is losing to the Wii U. That's how bad consoles in Japan are right now.

Even with the amount of support PS4 is getting (which is still lacking compared to handhelds (and one is by a company that apparently might be dead soon from what I've heard)), unless things change drastically over there (and I don't think Ps4 on its own can change this tbh), I can't see this. I'd love to be wrong, but I really doubt it.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.