Forums

Topic: How Is Nintendo Marketing Wii U In 2014?

Posts 21 to 40 of 91

NinChocolate

Yeah I think everybody would agree that if they do nothing else for Wii U In its life cycle, it's market the daylights out of MK8.

NinChocolate

Blast

Regarding television in America....
Nintendo shows many of their commercials on this popular television station called: Cartoonetwork.
I see many 3DS and Wii U commercials on that channel.

Now for 2014.... I think the marketing is getting better.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DefHalan

So far I would say, from what I have seen, their Marketing for 2014 is already surpassed their marketing for 2013. With big titles like Mario Kart, and Smash coming it is hard to imagine they don't stwp it up further. But in 2013 we had Mario 3D World and they didn't do too much for that so we will see

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

Faron wrote:

They don't even need to market. The games will do the talking.

Sadly though, the games are saying "basically the same games you saw on past consoles", which doesn't really do much to sell the console. They're definitely going to need better marketing or better games.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

DefHalan wrote:

So far I would say, from what I have seen, their Marketing for 2014 is already surpassed their marketing for 2013.

To be fair, if I paid a kid 10 bucks to tell strangers about the Wii U for an hour, I would be marketing it better than Nintendo did for a large majority of 2013.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I have an idea:
Stand on a corner of the street, spinning one of those signs.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faron wrote:

Sadly though, the games are saying "basically the same games you saw on past consoles", which doesn't really do much to sell the console. They're definitely going to need better marketing or better games.

I don't see how that's a bad thing. Same can be said of every platform unless you're gazing at the indie scene. At best there are only one or two games every year that drive platform sales and are something new. Everything else is highly derivative.

Most of the games that have driven platform sales have been sure things. Go down the list of best selling Wii games, a platform built on throwing out the rule book, and even there you'll see it. There's Wii Sports and Wii Fit sure.... but then there's Galaxy, New SMB, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Animal Crossing etc. Same is even more true on every other console.

"Mario Kart, now with anti-grav in HD" is enough. It's no less 'new' than the other big games saying "GTA with hacking in Chicago" or "it's CoD with mechs". It's very rare a game comes out and says "this is a first person platforming puzzler comedy" or "grab this stick, now you're bowling" for the first time.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Bolt_Strike

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faron wrote:

I don't see how that's a bad thing. Same can be said of every platform unless you're gazing at the indie scene. At best there are only one or two games every year that drive platform sales and are something new. Everything else is highly derivative.

Most of the games that have driven platform sales have been sure things. Go down the list of best selling Wii games, a platform built on throwing out the rule book, and even there you'll see it. There's Wii Sports and Wii Fit sure.... but then there's Galaxy, New SMB, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Donkey Kong Country, Animal Crossing etc. Same is even more true on every other console.

"Mario Kart, now with anti-grav in HD" is enough. It's no less 'new' than the other big games saying "GTA with hacking in Chicago" or "it's CoD with mechs". It's very rare a game comes out and says "this is a first person platforming puzzler comedy" or "grab this stick, now you're bowling" for the first time.

And maybe if the Wii U was more like the PS4 and One, they could get away with that. But the problem is that they have this new controller called the Gamepad which is supposed to be the primary selling point of the Wii U and they're not doing anything with it, and with inferior graphics, third party support, and online to the competition, the Gamepad is basically its only real advantage. They need to better market the Gamepad if they want more people to buy a Wii U, their current lineup just doesn't do enough.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Dreamz

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faron wrote:

And maybe if the Wii U was more like the PS4 and One, they could get away with that. But the problem is that they have this new controller called the Gamepad which is supposed to be the primary selling point of the Wii U and they're not doing anything with it, and with inferior graphics, third party support, and online to the competition, the Gamepad is basically its only real advantage. They need to better market the Gamepad if they want more people to buy a Wii U, their current lineup just doesn't do enough.

Despite my comments in the past about the Wii U not needing to revolutionize the way the original Wii did, the potential is there. I really don't understand why developers are so hesitant to really utilize the controller the way ZombiU did (I've mentioned that game so much lately; Gamespot needs to be smacked, that game was brilliant). There is so much potential there if developers would just hop off the franchise train and try to have an original thought for once in their lives.

Imagine a super hero game that uses the gamepad to utilize X-ray or heat vision. Imagine a Dungeon's & Dragons multiplayer toolset that allow the DM to modify the game encounters they've built on the fly using the control pad while the players utilize the screen. Imagine a Zelda game that uses the microphone to let you hum, sing, or even whistle the tune of the various songs you learn, so that you can use them on the fly, even in combat, while playing. Imagine a found footage style ghost hunting game that uses the gamepad to take 360 degree pictures that include yourself. Hey, what's the over your shoulder....?

However, even if we get these games, I'm not sure it'll be enough. There seems to be a very strong anti-Nintendo bias by both official media and gamers themselves, and to be honest, I'm not sure there's anything Nintendo can do about that. At least not without alienating at least one of their core demographics.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

DefHalan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

So far I would say, from what I have seen, their Marketing for 2014 is already surpassed their marketing for 2013.

To be fair, if I paid a kid 10 bucks to tell strangers about the Wii U for an hour, I would be marketing it better than Nintendo did for a large majority of 2013.

I do not disagree lol

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bolt_Strike

Dreamz wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

skywake wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faron wrote:

Despite my comments in the past about the Wii U not needing to revolutionize the way the original Wii did, the potential is there. I really don't understand why developers are so hesitant to really utilize the controller the way ZombiU did (I've mentioned that game so much lately; Gamespot needs to be smacked, that game was brilliant). There is so much potential there if developers would just hop off the franchise train and try to have an original thought for once in their lives.

Imagine a super hero game that uses the gamepad to utilize X-ray or heat vision. Imagine a Dungeon's & Dragons multiplayer toolset that allow the DM to modify the game encounters they've built on the fly using the control pad while the players utilize the screen. Imagine a Zelda game that uses the microphone to let you hum, sing, or even whistle the tune of the various songs you learn, so that you can use them on the fly, even in combat, while playing. Imagine a found footage style ghost hunting game that uses the gamepad to take 360 degree pictures that include yourself. Hey, what's the over your shoulder....?

However, even if we get these games, I'm not sure it'll be enough. There seems to be a very strong anti-Nintendo bias by both official media and gamers themselves, and to be honest, I'm not sure there's anything Nintendo can do about that. At least not without alienating at least one of their core demographics.

I didn't say there wasn't potential in the Gamepad. Yeah, it's sad that third parties don't really want to come up with new ideas for thing (although not really surprising, third party games on the Wii U are harder to develop and don't sell as well). But what's even sadder is that Nintendo seems to want to come up with new ideas for it even less, and they created the Gamepad in the first place.

Bolt_Strike

kkslider5552000

I think Nintendo saw what Ubisoft was doing (and a couple of the ports) and decided that focusing on sequels to games that they think would do well was enough for now (I think Miyamoto straight up said things would be more interesting and varied post-Mario Kart, which says a lot to me).

And I again point out...ok I repeat myself way too much about the trend of recent Mario platformers, I should stop. But really...after releasing a co-op focused Mario platformer (and its stand-alone DLC), they expected Wii U sales to turn around because of their co-op focused Mario platformer? What?

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

jariw

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I didn't say there wasn't potential in the Gamepad. Yeah, it's sad that third parties don't really want to come up with new ideas for thing (although not really surprising, third party games on the Wii U are harder to develop and don't sell as well). But what's even sadder is that Nintendo seems to want to come up with new ideas for it even less, and they created the Gamepad in the first place.

Both third parties and Nintendo themselves have made many games where the Gamepad has been used in creative ways. But Nintendo has not done so in their "block buster" titles, except perhaps Pikmin 3 and Zelda:WW to some extent.

jariw

skywake

Bolt_Strike wrote:

I think you missed my point. I was saying that "new" is more of an also-and than it is an essential feature. That the games will speak for themselves. A game doesn't need to use every single feature of the console in a way that can't be done on any other console for it to be a system seller. It just needs to have a broad appeal, good branding and nail the implementation. If it happens to also do something that couldn't possibly done elsewhere then that's just icing on the cake.

This idea that they should suddenly throw out the rulebook on what makes a system seller is nonsense. As I pointed out the Wii's system sellers was one or two titles as you're describing in a sea of stuff that would have worked fine on any other platform.

Socar

First of all, Nintendo is always bringing something new to the table in terms of hardware and software. The Gamecube had a fair good marketing and it had a great library of games but the PS2 beats it because of one thing that the other's didn't have at the time, DVD. I'm sure if it wasn't for the DVD, PS2 wouldn't have sold well as it did now.

The Wii despite it not having DVD like how PS2 had, sold incredibly well because it aimed at what Nintendo wanted it to aim at, to people who are new into video games. I'll admit that it disappointed hardcore gamers but at the same time, it had a great library of games.

The Wii U isn't failing because of the target audience or because of the lack of games(Because I'm pretty sure by now that it has a lot of games out now.) Its because of the awareness. No one knows the product even exists and again its not the name of the product, its the advertisement of the product. I remember seeing a commercial of tiger woods playing the Wii and that left me a good impression. Where's that add for the Wii U?

Now seeing Mario Kart 8 and Smash as the big things out for the Wii U( not to mention the new Mario game coming along as well) the Wii U is going to do more that what it couldn't do earlier. But for that to work, it needs to have advertisements.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

jariw

Artwark wrote:

I remember seeing a commercial of tiger woods playing the Wii and that left me a good impression. Where's that add for the Wii U?

Here?

jariw

skywake

Artwark wrote:

First of all, Nintendo is always bringing something new to the table in terms of hardware and software. The Gamecube had a fair good marketing and it had a great library of games but the PS2 beats it because of one thing that the other's didn't have at the time, DVD. I'm sure if it wasn't for the DVD, PS2 wouldn't have sold well as it did now.

The Wii despite it not having DVD like how PS2 had, sold incredibly well because it aimed at what Nintendo wanted it to aim at, to people who are new into video games. I'll admit that it disappointed hardcore gamers but at the same time, it had a great library of games. The Wii U isn't failing because of the target audience or because of the lack of games(Because I'm pretty sure by now that it has a lot of games out now.)

Pretty sure that the main reason for the Wii U's troubles isn't the fact that it hasn't pushed the GamePad hard enough. It's very much about the content both first and third party. Sony successfully made the case that it's console will be the only gaming machine you'll need. They don't have the games yet but it will have the games and you won't need another machine.

Nintendo's main counter wasn't that they had the GamePad. Their counter was that they also had the games. The problem was that they didn't which meant that sales tanked. Sales tanking meant that third parties pulled out. Third parties pulling out meant that they didn't have the games. Right now the reason to own a Wii U is still because of the games..... just it's about the first party games and little else. It just didn't have the games quick enough to convince people that it's the only console they'll need. The baton was passed straight from 360 to PS4.

Artwark wrote:

Its because of the awareness. No one knows the product even exists and again its not the name of the product, its the advertisement of the product. I remember seeing a commercial of tiger woods playing the Wii and that left me a good impression. Where's that add for the Wii U?

Now seeing Mario Kart 8 and Smash as the big things out for the Wii U( not to mention the new Mario game coming along as well) the Wii U is going to do more that what it couldn't do earlier. But for that to work, it needs to have advertisements.

I'm pretty sure that people know that the Wii U exists and what it's about. That 'excuse' came and went. Now it's more that people who don't have it make excuses for why they're not into it despite being interested in its games. Or there's a dull whine about how games like Mario Kart 8 aren't on the 3DS.

People know what the Wii U is and they want the games it's going to get. They just don't want the Wii U just because. Advertising isn't going to help it as much as you think......

Edited on by skywake

Cia

The Game Pad is utilized in every game i own except DKCTF. Some of these comments denying this don't make sense.
Also, in case of DK: WHy should they cram gimmicky mechanics where they're not really needed? To me, the Pad has a lot of functions that can be considered as plus, but i don't see any reason to force them in every existing game unless it really serves a purpose.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

MarceloKamui

In Brazil almost nobody knows what a Wiiu is..Nintendo is doing a horrible marketing..

Let's play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate!!! o/

Nintendo Network ID: marcelokamui

Socar

skywake wrote:

Artwark wrote:

The Wii despite it not having DVD like how PS2 had, sold incredibly well because it aimed at what Nintendo wanted it to aim at, to people who are new into video games. I'll admit that it disappointed hardcore gamers but at the same time, it had a great library of games. The Wii U isn't failing because of the target audience or because of the lack of games(Because I'm pretty sure by now that it has a lot of games out now.)

Pretty sure that the main reason for the Wii U's troubles isn't the fact that it hasn't pushed the GamePad hard enough. It's very much about the content both first and third party. Sony successfully made the case that it's console will be the only gaming machine you'll need. They don't have the games yet but it will have the games and you won't need another machine.

Nintendo's main counter wasn't that they had the GamePad. Their counter was that they also had the games. The problem was that they didn't which meant that sales tanked. Sales tanking meant that third parties pulled out. Third parties pulling out meant that they didn't have the games. Right now the reason to own a Wii U is still because of the games..... just it's about the first party games and little else. It just didn't have the games quick enough to convince people that it's the only console they'll need. The baton was passed straight from 360 to PS4.

Artwark wrote:

Its because of the awareness. No one knows the product even exists and again its not the name of the product, its the advertisement of the product. I remember seeing a commercial of tiger woods playing the Wii and that left me a good impression. Where's that add for the Wii U?

I'm pretty sure that people know that the Wii U exists and what it's about. That 'excuse' came and went. Now it's more that people who don't have it make excuses for why they're not into it despite being interested in its games. Or there's a dull whine about how games like Mario Kart 8 aren't on the 3DS.

People know what the Wii U is and they want the games it's going to get. They just don't want the Wii U just because. Advertising isn't going to help it as much as you think......

Well then if people know the Wii U by know, how is it that 3D world was outsold by Knack at the time which was mediocre at best? How is it that people aren't able to get the point that most of the games on the Wii U are the definitive versions for the system? How is it that third party devs aren't able to realize the potential the Wii U has yet? How is it that people are still lukewarm with the Wii U?

You think that even without proper marketing last year that they can still sell the Wii U well. No. If 3D World was bundled with the Wii U and if the marketing was good enough, the Wii U would've sold around 10 million by now. But the fact is, it isn't.

PS4 and ONE didn't have a great library of games and most of them are better bought on PC cause its cheaper and yet they sold well. Why is that? Marketing. Simple as that. PS4 and ONE don't have what the Wii U has and that's backwards compatibility and that's a shame cause both are quite expensive and now Sony and Microsoft are planning to make up to it by using cloud storage which already has a lot of devs hating it.

Here's the thing, even if Nintendo made a game that's gamepad exclusive, that won't matter because Nintendo isn't in good terms with majority of third party devs. And with Bayonetta 2 and X on the way, the Wii U will have something worth mentioning.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.