Forums

Topic: How do you rate the Wii U's 2nd year in comparison to it's 1st?

Posts 161 to 176 of 176

SCRAPPER392

arronishere wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think Wii U is around 9 million software sales, including digital. Xbox One and PS4 are around 4 million, including digital. So, even though Wii U has sold less consoles at its pace and has less consoles sold than the others, it is still outselling them in software by at least 2:1. Considering Wii U has been out for twice as long, its software sales still exceed anything Xbox One and PS4 have done, thus far, with all factors accounted for.

Nintendo is also making profit, which is something Sony and Microsoft can't say, and it's all because of a year headstart with enthusiasts, as @skywake says, buying whatever on the eShop.

Those numbers are way off, if the PS4 & Xbone have sold 4 million games then that means there are alot of people with a console a no games for it.

Accodring to VG:

Wii U, 30.43m
PS4, 42.23m
Xbone, 23.17m

http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/

That was my mistake. I meant to say 9 average on Wii U, and 4 average on the other 2. Wii U is "winning" the software front. EDIT: Also, the numbers are wrong.

@Edie
I think it is that, as well as the consoles themselves needing hardware space to properly run programs. They knew people would need HDD space for discs, so that's probably why they tried to push DRM. If they were able to control used discs, you could install the game and leave the disc somewhere, like PC in alot of cases, but since people wanted DRM free Xbox, now you have to put in the disc for everything. It's not that big of a deal if you buy digital, because you are tied to DRM, anyway. Either way, the HDD space was going to be taken.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

OneBagTravel

The Wii U is the best Nintendo console since the SNES. I purchased mine in May and still play it almost daily. I also have 13 games on my Amazon wishlist to eventually buy and some Wii titles I currently have to get through. So many games, so little time.

I love traveling light through Europe and run a blog about it at OneBagTravel.com
Hardware: Wii U, New 3DS, Super Famicom & Super GameBoy, Game Boy Pocket

3DS Friend Code: 4399-0976-8690 | Nintendo Network ID: OneBagTravel | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Edie wrote:

I am not familiar with the games you mentioned Deus Ex and Tekken et al. I did however look them up online; I would have thought the Playstation 4 or Xbox One perhaps even the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 would have been better choices for these games. Given they all seem to be available on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. Buying a Wii U to play the aforementioned games just doesn't make sense to me...

I have a PS3, but I still bought Deus Ex and Tekken on Wii U. They're actually really good ports, I would go as far as to say that they're the definitive versions of the games. I didn't buy the WIi U for those games, but them being available on the Wii U is still nice.

You're right that Deus Ex is more or less the type of game that Nintendo fans aren't into (its sales say as much), but I still appreciate it being on the Wii U. It's a really cool cyberpunk game, something you don't see a lot of. Stories like Human Revolution are hard to come by in any medium, let alone video games.

But fighting games like Tekken are pretty universal in their appeal. Street Fighter has been tremendously successful on Nintendo platforms, for example. Dead or Alive could probably be a modest success on Wii U too, as Team Ninja has a decent following and many Sega enthusiasts seem to have migrated to Nintendo hardware after the Dreamcast. Marvel vs Capcom would also sell well enough on Wii U.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

I'd be interested in Deus Ex on Wii U if it wasn't for the fact that even now after it has been out for a bit it's still $30AU at retail for Wii U if you can find it. I assume it's quite a bit more than that on the eShop. Not that that price isn't decent but it's a tough sell when the non-sale price on Steam is $20US and the sale price is as low as $5US. Same deal with a lot of the other ports of games that are a good year or so old. By the time they come out I'll either already have them on PC or they'll be cheaper on PC.

Also as a side note, Smash Bros for Wii U's preorder numbers are pretty fantastic. Sitting well above where Mario Kart 8 was, getting close to the sort of numbers for games like Pokemon or the Halo collection. So much for "nobody will buy it because of the 3DS version"

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

sub12

When is the last time we have seen an actual Street Fighter game on a Nintendo console, not counting a 20 year old emulation on the VC.

I always thought that the SF character roster would have strong appeal with the core Nintendo demographic,......SSF IV was arguably the best 3DS launch title, no excuse for zero Wii or Wii U ports.

I would argue that the majority of SEGA enthusiasts migrated to the OG Xbox after the death of the Dreamcast, and not the ol' Cube, at least in North America.

sub12

sub12

skywake wrote:

I'd be interested in Deus Ex on Wii U if it wasn't for the fact that even now after it has been out for a bit it's still $30AU at retail for Wii U if you can find it. I assume it's quite a bit more than that on the eShop. Not that that price isn't decent but it's a tough sell when the non-sale price on Steam is $20US and the sale price is as low as $5US. Same deal with a lot of the other ports of games that are a good year or so old. By the time they come out I'll either already have them on PC or they'll be cheaper on PC.

Also as a side note, Smash Bros for Wii U's preorder numbers are pretty fantastic. Sitting well above where Mario Kart 8 was, getting close to the sort of numbers for games like Pokemon or the Halo collection. So much for "nobody will buy it because of the 3DS version"

Although somewhat impressive, remember that first party software adoption rates well be very high for more well known franchises on the Wii U, due in part to the lack of software / droughts on the console in general. It's not like I have to worry about COD/Assassin's Creed/Dragon Age/GTA/Far Cry 4, etc. etc. fighting for my dollars on the system.

That's not a cheap shot, MK 8 and DKC: TF are.my fav games of the year so far, but any big Nintendo title is going to have large pre-order / adoption numbers.

sub12

kkslider5552000

So like a year ago, I did promise that if SE sold Deux Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut for the same 30 dollar price tag it put on 360 and PS3 (and reminder, these versions sold NOTHING and did literally nothing except anger Nintendo fans) I would buy it ASAP. As I am including the eShop, this is such a simple thing and I hope they realize this, as I am sticking with this promise.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

SCRAPPER392

I bought Deus Ex for the $50, because I was starved for a game, and I hadn't played it. It was worth the $50, IMO, but I bought it right around the time it came out, and hadn't played it before. Those ports are a tough sell if they've already been out somewhere else for cheaper, and on a system you already have. I made an exception of Deus Ex on Wii U, because I knew it was the better version. It was either this or NFS, and I chose this. Like alot of people, I can't buy everything.

There's also the fact that alot of these games NEVER had huge shipment numbers. CoD Black Ops II had like 5 copies, tops, on Wii U launch at my local Best Buy. You can bet there were at least 40+ copies of Xbox 360 and PS3 copies. With that in mind, I don't think 3rd parties ever expected as much from Wii U sales with those games, because otherwise they would have sent out a lot more copies that would be sitting around, and that isn't the case. Try finding a new Mass Effect 3 game at the store, and you basically won't be able to; at least in my area.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

CaviarMeths

Deus Ex is less than $20 new on Amazon.

So are Splinter Cell, Mass Effect 3, Arkham City, Arkham Origins, Injustice, Black Ops II, Ghosts, ZombiU, Assassin's Creed III, and FIFA.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

kkslider5552000

Yeah I've heard that outside of Gamestop, it's been difficult to convince stores to carry Wii U versions of M rated games. That couldn't have helped and the fact that that was a problem says some questionable things about retailers...

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

sub12 wrote:

Although somewhat impressive, remember that first party software adoption rates well be very high for more well known franchises on the Wii U, due in part to the lack of software / droughts on the console in general. It's not like I have to worry about COD/Assassin's Creed/Dragon Age/GTA/Far Cry 4, etc. etc. fighting for my dollars on the system. That's not a cheap shot, MK 8 and DKC: TF are.my fav games of the year so far, but any big Nintendo title is going to have large pre-order / adoption numbers.

It's not like the other systems have had that many quality games yet either outside of what seems to be a very decent version of CoD. The newest Assassin's Creed appears to be well bellow par but it'll sell on PS4/XBOne because people on those platforms are doing what you say is happening on the Wii U. Also the Wii U just got Bayonetta 2 which appears to be doing pretty well indeed outside of Japan so it's not like the Wii U doesn't have content fighting for your dollars.

Anyways, I was actually responding to the posts from people in either this thread or elsewhere who ran around in circles saying Smash Bros won't sell. The argument being that the 3DS version did well and so nobody will be interested in it on the Wii U. Or that Smash is just another game that people say will "save" the Wii U and it'll fall on its face like everything else has. If it's going to do better than Mario Kart 8? Puts a bit of doubt in the doubters argument

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Yeah I've heard that outside of Gamestop, it's been difficult to convince stores to carry Wii U versions of M rated games. That couldn't have helped and the fact that that was a problem says some questionable things about retailers...

That's because retailers have their own idea of what sells on Wii U. I have no doubt in my mind that retailers are the ones that ultimately had the biggest say in how many copies were shipped, That naturally kept the shipments down. It would have been impossible for games like CoD Black Ops II and Mass Effect 3 to sell something like 500,00 copies on launch, because stores didn't even have that copies in the first place, and those games weren't even on the eShop. Those games had a sales limit, any way you put it, so people giving Wii U gamers crap for not buying some games, didn't even understand the retail situation. I'm not saying those games would have sold especially well with more copies sent to stores, or an eShop version, but it does give light to the bigger picture that there was never going to be huge sales numbers. Activision only released Transformers, Spongebob, and the Voice on the Wii U eShop. They got the idea to put those on the eShop, because of the data they got from retail stores. It's easy as heck to realize that.

Qwest

Edie

SpookyMeths wrote:

Edie wrote:

I am not familiar with the games you mentioned Deus Ex and Tekken et al. I did however look them up online; I would have thought the Playstation 4 or Xbox One perhaps even the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 would have been better choices for these games. Given they all seem to be available on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. Buying a Wii U to play the aforementioned games just doesn't make sense to me...

I have a PS3, but I still bought Deus Ex and Tekken on Wii U. They're actually really good ports, I would go as far as to say that they're the definitive versions of the games. I didn't buy the WIi U for those games, but them being available on the Wii U is still nice.

You're right that Deus Ex is more or less the type of game that Nintendo fans aren't into (its sales say as much), but I still appreciate it being on the Wii U. It's a really cool cyberpunk game, something you don't see a lot of. Stories like Human Revolution are hard to come by in any medium, let alone video games.

But fighting games like Tekken are pretty universal in their appeal. Street Fighter has been tremendously successful on Nintendo platforms, for example. Dead or Alive could probably be a modest success on Wii U too, as Team Ninja has a decent following and many Sega enthusiasts seem to have migrated to Nintendo hardware after the Dreamcast. Marvel vs Capcom would also sell well enough on Wii U.

All valid points as usual Spooky. I think the more games for the Wii U the better but the Wii U version seems to be more expensive than the other platforms. Like others are saying it's probably due to it being newer and or there being less copies readably available for the Wii U.

I didn't think fighting games would be that popular on the Wii/Wii U. Thinking about it now though I can kind of see the appeal. Not having played one it's hard to tell but I'd like to try something 2D perhaps cell shaded like BlazBlue or Persona 4 Arena sadly not on Wii/U.

(I have Super Smash Bros on pre-order)

Edie x

Edited on by Edie

Edie

CaviarMeths

Edie wrote:

I didn't think fighting games would be that popular on the Wii/Wii U. Thinking about it now though I can kind of see the appeal. Not having played one it's hard to tell but I'd like to try something 2D perhaps cell shaded like BlazBlue or Persona 4 Arena sadly not on Wii/U.

Haha I was going to mention BlazBlue and P4A, but Arcsys is a developer that's so engrained in the Sony ecosystem that I don't know if developing a fighter natively for another console has ever even crossed their minds.

A Wii game, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom kind of fits your description.

Edie

SpookyMeths wrote:

Edie wrote:

Haha I was going to mention BlazBlue and P4A, but Arcsys is a developer that's so engrained in the Sony ecosystem that I don't know if developing a fighter natively for another console has ever even crossed their minds.

A Wii game, but Tatsunoko vs Capcom kind of fits your description.

Thanks again Spooky you have been an invaluable source of information. Although I did see TvC on Amazon I'm not sure if I'll buy it yet the for some reason it doesn't appeal to me as much as the other games. Strange as I have no knowledge of any of the characters from any of the series.

I checked Wiki Arc System Works did some Nintendo DS and Wii stuff so it's possible we could get something for Wii U although unlikely.

Edie x

Edited on by Edie

Edie

crimsoncavalier

I've heard nothing but good things about Deus Ex for Wii U. It's actually one of those games that I feel I need to go back and get, even though there are a ton of games upcoming.

I still think Nintendo themselves have to fill the gaps being left by the exodus of 3rd party devs/publishers. However, what has been discussed in this and other threads and the news recently makes me feel Nintendo also figured this out. With all these partnerships springing up, games that tend to be seen as not usually what Nintendo publishes (Bayonetta, Devil's Third), and things like that, it seems Nintendo knows that if 3rd parties are going to abandon ship, they need to make sure there are still 3rd party games on the console, somehow, and that they need to fill in those missing gaps themselves.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.