Forums

Topic: How do you rate the Wii U's 2nd year in comparison to it's 1st?

Posts 141 to 160 of 176

SCRAPPER392

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

still don't understand what the heck Sony is waiting for...

What do you mean?

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

SpookyMeths wrote:

skywake wrote:

crimsoncavalier wrote:

I'm only a pretty recent consumer to the Wii U market, so I only have MK8, Bayo 1 & 2, WW HD and Mario and Luigi U that came with my bundle. Do they consider bundles like that one game? Bay 1&2 came together, so is that one game or two? Same with NSMBU and NSLU?

They should all count but I'm not sure if Bayonetta is being counted given that you can't buy it at retail by itself. Either way I think it's clear that the tie-ratio is going along pretty nicely.

It's also not counting digital sales, which, as far as I know, are proportionately higher for the Wii U than it is for other systems. Kind of counter-intuitive with Nintendo's outdated account system and lack of internal hard drive, but that's what Nintendo reported in their financials.

I don't own any physical games for my Wii U, but I'm definitely above that average tie-ratio.

Probably because of the fact that with lower sales you tend to be selling more to enthusiasts. Enthusiasts are more into the digital store front which would push the digital sales up. Ontop of that Nintendo have been pushing quite a few digital only promotions, free codes and bundles which include codes rather than a disk. Also the fact that most of Nintendo's games are the sort of games you'll want to come back and play rather than ones you'll get to the end and be done with. So there are a few possible reasons for it.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

I think Wii U is around 9 million software sales, including digital. Xbox One and PS4 are around 4 million, including digital. So, even though Wii U has sold less consoles at its pace and has less consoles sold than the others, it is still outselling them in software by at least 2:1. Considering Wii U has been out for twice as long, its software sales still exceed anything Xbox One and PS4 have done, thus far, with all factors accounted for.

Nintendo is also making profit, which is something Sony and Microsoft can't say, and it's all because of a year headstart with enthusiasts, as @skywake says, buying whatever on the eShop.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

arnoldlayne83

SCAR392 wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

What do you mean?

To introduce the support of external Hard Drives

psn: markthesovver83 ; Nnid: arnoldlayne83

Nintendo Network ID: arnoldlayne83

Edie

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Overall: I had to buy a Ps4 to get the full spectrum of gaming.... so for me overall is a 6.5 - 7... WiiU keeps not giving me what I expected when I bought it...

I am asking out of curiosity just in case you think I'm being sarcastic but what did you expect?

@SCAR392

The Lego thing with disc based installs could it be a anti-piracy measure?
Edie x

Edited on by Edie

Edie

jump

SCAR392 wrote:

I think Wii U is around 9 million software sales, including digital. Xbox One and PS4 are around 4 million, including digital. So, even though Wii U has sold less consoles at its pace and has less consoles sold than the others, it is still outselling them in software by at least 2:1. Considering Wii U has been out for twice as long, its software sales still exceed anything Xbox One and PS4 have done, thus far, with all factors accounted for.

Nintendo is also making profit, which is something Sony and Microsoft can't say, and it's all because of a year headstart with enthusiasts, as @skywake says, buying whatever on the eShop.

Those numbers are way off, if the PS4 & Xbone have sold 4 million games then that means there are alot of people with a console a no games for it.

Accodring to VG:

Wii U, 30.43m
PS4, 42.23m
Xbone, 23.17m

http://www.vgchartz.com/platforms/

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

arnoldlayne83

SCAR392 wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

What do you mean?

To introduce the support of external Hard Drives

Oh, well they expect that you'll upgrade the internal HDD of the PS4; at least for now.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/51...

I know... let see what comes next...

arnoldlayne83

Edie wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Overall: I had to buy a Ps4 to get the full spectrum of gaming.... so for me overall is a 6.5 - 7... WiiU keeps not giving me what I expected when I bought it...

I am asking out of curiosity just in case you think I'm being sarcastic but what did you expect?

@SCAR392

Edie x

Edie, I come from DOS-based pc-gaming, then Master System, NES, Atari Lynx, then PC gaming again for long time, then Wii and WiiU (and now ps4). So I could say, in all these years I developed a wide taste in gaming, and I kind of like almost all the gendra (maybe nowadays 2d platformer are getting stale to me and I cannot play more then a deep rpg a year cos I don't have enough time anymore).
I bought the WiiU just few months after it was released, trusting what Regie and Iwata said about the console ("it will be fully supported by 3rd parties"). At that moment, there was a almost constant flux of various games (between launch and next months) coming from third parties: I got AC III and IV, Deus Ex, Tekken Tag 2, Fifa, COD Black ops II, Batman and others..... then, the situation changed as we know... and then, after realising I was buying games on wiiU not because I really liked them, but because there was nothing new on the system to play with, I decided to get a Ps4, so now I can get all my rpgs, sports, fps, stealth, action adventures, hack and slash on that console and getting the few, amazing exclusives (Bayo, Xenoblade, SSB) arriving on wiiU

Edited on by arnoldlayne83

CaviarMeths

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Edie I bought the WiiU just few months after it was released, trusting what Regie and Iwata said about the console ("it will be fully supported by 3rd parties"). At that moment, there was a almost constant flux of games (between launch and next months) coming from third parties: I got AC III and IV, Deus Ex, Tekken Tag 2, Fifa, COD Black ops II, Batman and others..... then, the situation changed as we know... and then, after realising I was buying games on wiiU not because I really liked them, but because there was nothing new on the system to play with, I decided to get a Ps4, so now I can get all my rpgs, sports, fps, stealth, action adventures, hack and slash on that console and getting the few, amazing exclusives (Bayo, Xenoblade, SSB) arriving on wiiU

I don't think anyone could have realistically expected the Wii U to be competitive for Western 3rd parties this generation with its hardware. It's a heck of an efficient machine, but it's lacking in raw power and has weird architecture. Since most Western games are so focused on spectacle and realism, there's no way the Wii U would have been able to keep pace with the PS4/XB1, especially when Western developers greatly prefer x86. The best it could have hoped for was moderate support from Japanese 3rd parties, but Atlus and NIS prefer Playstation, Square Enix and Capcom prefer Western gamers, and Konami... who the hell knows what Konami is doing these days, besides ruining all of its own IP.

Most of Wii U's third party support is going to come from Koei Tecmo, Sega, and Namco Bandai.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

arnoldlayne83

SpookyMeths wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Edie I bought the WiiU just few months after it was released, trusting what Regie and Iwata said about the console ("it will be fully supported by 3rd parties"). At that moment, there was a almost constant flux of games (between launch and next months) coming from third parties: I got AC III and IV, Deus Ex, Tekken Tag 2, Fifa, COD Black ops II, Batman and others..... then, the situation changed as we know... and then, after realising I was buying games on wiiU not because I really liked them, but because there was nothing new on the system to play with, I decided to get a Ps4, so now I can get all my rpgs, sports, fps, stealth, action adventures, hack and slash on that console and getting the few, amazing exclusives (Bayo, Xenoblade, SSB) arriving on wiiU

At least It should have coped with ps3/xbox360. I am not a "ultrarealistic-graphic" freak and games for the latter consoles are still developed and they will till end 2015. So my original plan was to stick with WiiU alone till that time, and then gather information and thoughts about next gen console and pick one in let's say early 2016.... the absence of whatsoever soccer game, rpg, COD (yes yes, I am a grown up man who still enjoy shooting here and there online), driving sim made change my mind....

I don't think anyone could have realistically expected the Wii U to be competitive for Western 3rd parties this generation with its hardware. It's a hell of an efficient machine, but it's lacking in raw power and has weird architecture. Since most Western games are so focused on spectacle and realism, there's no way the Wii U would have been able to keep pace with the PS4/XB1, especially when Western developers almost can't be bothered to develop for anything other than x86. The best it could have hoped for was moderate support from Japanese 3rd parties, but Atlus and NIS prefer Playstation, Square Enix and Capcom prefer Western gamers, and Konami... who the hell knows what Konami is doing these days.

It should have kept the pace with PS360 at least. Games for the latter are still underdevelopment today and the consoles will be supported till end 2015.... so my plan was to stick with WiiU, playing exclusive and few 3rd parties ports, till, lets say, 2016, where I could have then choose a next gen one.... The lack of whatsoever game apart platformers from the end of 2013 till now (excluding the awesome MK8) made me change my mind...

CaviarMeths

As far as I know, Assassin's Creed: Rogue is the last PS360 exclusive. Everything else is a watered down port of a current gen game. Companies understandably didn't want to bother optimizing them for the weird, unfamiliar architecture of the Wii U, especially with an installed base 1/20th the size of the PS360.

As with every Nintendo console since NES, the Wii U was destined from the beginning to be a console you buy to play exclusives.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

arnoldlayne83

SpookyMeths wrote:

....Companies understandably didn't want to bother optimizing them for the weird, unfamiliar architecture of the Wii U, especially with an installed base 1/20th the size of the PS360.

This is something we started to know after Rayman legend release, and not what Iwata and Reggie stated.

As with every Nintendo console since the N64, the Wii U was destined from the beginning to be the console you buy to play exclusives.

as before.

And forget about Tecmo-Koei, they released HW spin-off, but they won't port to WiiU DW8, the amazing Samurai Warriors 4 (which is also on Ps Vita), Empires and Bladestorm... all games that, as Musou fan, I want to play.

First move after Bandai got the rights on Project Cars was the delay of WiiU version... really sure we will got their support?

CaviarMeths

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

....Companies understandably didn't want to bother optimizing them for the weird, unfamiliar architecture of the Wii U, especially with an installed base 1/20th the size of the PS360.

This is something we started to know after Rayman legend release, and not what Iwata and Reggie stated.

What do you mean? Rayman Legends was developed natively on the Wii U. It was ported to the other systems, not vice versa.

And forget about Tecmo-Koei, they released HW spin-off, but they won't port to WiiU DW8, the amazing Samurai Warriors 4 (which is also on Ps Vita), Empires and Bladestorm... all games that, as Musou fan, I want to play.

I guess nobody bought Warriors Orochi 3 on Wii U. Hardly KT's fault. It was a good port of a fantastic game, in my opinion. But Hyrule Warriors is on track to be the best-selling Musou game in the West ever, so there's still hope. Musou has always been a Japanese-centric series though. Most of the games sell like crap outside of Japan. They call it the CoD of Japan for a reason.

KT has been doing plenty with Nintendo hardware since last gen though. All of their major IPs have touched on Nintendo's systems. The 3DS got Musou and DoA exclusives, the Wii U got a Musou exclusive, a Fatal Frame exclusive, and a Ninja Gaiden timed exclusive.

First move after Bandai got the rights on Project Cars was the delay of WiiU version... really sure we will got their support?

Collaborations, more than anything. Smash and Pokken Fighters that we currently know about.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

arnoldlayne83

SpookyMeths wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

What do you mean? Rayman Legends was developed natively on the Wii U. It was ported to the other systems, not vice versa.

I guess nobody bought Warriors Orochi 3 on Wii U. Hardly KT's fault. It was a good port of a fantastic game, in my opinion. But Hyrule Warriors is on track to be the best-selling Musou game in the West ever, so there's still hope. Musou has always been a Japanese-centric series though. Most of the games sell like crap outside of Japan. They call it the CoD of Japan for a reason.

KT has been doing plenty with Nintendo hardware since last gen though. All of their major IPs have touched on Nintendo's systems. The 3DS got Musou and DoA exclusives, the Wii U got a Musou exclusive, a Fatal Frame exclusive, and a Ninja Gaiden timed exclusive.

Collaborations, more than anything. Smash and Pokken Fighters that we currently know about.

Sorry if I expressed myself badly.... I meant that the Rayman "delay" was the beginning of the end for the 3rd parties support on the system. After that (or around that time) we have seen the constant retreat of all the major publishers. Before that (roughly the first 8 months) we had a decent (at least for me) support from 3rd parties, and bloody hell if I contributed (I almost bought all the 3rd part games...)

Concerning Tecmo, don't know, honestly all the fuzz about HW is because it has zelda in it.... I tried it but honestly I still find DW 8 and especially Samurai 4 far superior, both technically and in the gameplay (but hey, this is just my opinion). I really hope(d) we will see other musou on the console (especially because in couch-coop, as me and my lady like to play, the tv+gamepad combination is far more better than splitscreen). But I must also say that on next gen consoles this kind of games are far better, just because of the increased drawing distance and the total amount of foes on screen....

CaviarMeths

@arnoldlayne83 Have you tried First of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2? It's that other Musou game on Wii U that was released pretty quietly.

arnoldlayne83

SpookyMeths wrote:

@arnoldlayne83 Have you tried First of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2? It's that other Musou game on Wii U that was released pretty quietly.

no I didn't cos I read some negative reviews, I would have bought the physical version (at least for trading it in if it was a meh), but apparently doesn't exist here....

Did you try it? Is it good?

CaviarMeths

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

SpookyMeths wrote:

no I didn't cos I read some negative reviews, I would have bought the physical version (at least for trading it in if it was a meh), but apparently doesn't exist here....

Did you try it? Is it good?

Haven't, no. Not into the manga/anime, so I skipped it. I have a PS3 and Vita, so I do have access to the DW/SW games out now. The one I'm really missing right now is Samurai Warriors Chronicles for 3DS. It didn't get an eShop release.

Edie

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

Edie wrote:

arnoldlayne83 wrote:

@SCAR392

Edie x

Edie, I come from DOS-based pc-gaming, then Master System, NES, Atari Lynx, then PC gaming again for long time, then Wii and WiiU (and now ps4). So I could say, in all these years I developed a wide taste in gaming, and I kind of like almost all the gendra (maybe nowadays 2d platformer are getting stale to me and I cannot play more then a deep rpg a year cos I don't have enough time anymore).
I bought the WiiU just few months after it was released, trusting what Regie and Iwata said about the console ("it will be fully supported by 3rd parties"). At that moment, there was a almost constant flux of various games (between launch and next months) coming from third parties: I got AC III and IV, Deus Ex, Tekken Tag 2, Fifa, COD Black ops II, Batman and others..... then, the situation changed as we know... and then, after realising I was buying games on wiiU not because I really liked them, but because there was nothing new on the system to play with, I decided to get a Ps4, so now I can get all my rpgs, sports, fps, stealth, action adventures, hack and slash on that console and getting the few, amazing exclusives (Bayo, Xenoblade, SSB) arriving on wiiU

I am not familiar with the games you mentioned Deus Ex and Tekken et al. I did however look them up online; I would have thought the Playstation 4 or Xbox One perhaps even the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360 would have been better choices for these games. Given they all seem to be available on the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360. Buying a Wii U to play the aforementioned games just doesn't make sense to me...

Although I hope you are happy with both your Wii U and Playstation 4.

Kind Regards,

Edie x

Edited on by Edie

Edie

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.