Wii U Forum

Topic: Hardware no more

Showing 21 to 40 of 68

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Geonjaha

21. Posted:

If Sony 'dropped out' then no Nintendo would not fail, they would do better. It would be worse for the industry though - less competition is bad.
On a completely unrelated note: Sony is fine - stop making yourselves look ridiculous by predicting an end to one of the big three.

I make Pixel Art on occasion.

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Amigaengine

22. Posted:

Towels wrote:

Sony will be fine. They've still got a big pile of George Michael money

LOL that is funny :)

Another point is nobody is going under right now. Nintendo has still roughly 6 Billion in cash and another 5 Billion in assets before you figure the worth on their IP's. Imagine what Sony/MS would pay for Mario,Zelda ?

Sony while their stock is junk does not mean they cant turn it around. The playstation brand actually makes money it just the TV section is bleeding cash and the Vita is off to a horrible start.

Microsoft is just.....Microsoft. One thing is for sure the hardware failure rate and lack of investing in IP's has shown itself over the last 3 years which in turn has allowed Sony to catch them in that time span. Sony is making all the right moves (not for me) to be the king next gen not just because the PS4 is OMG powerful (because its not) but with free online, PS+ and some very good IP's sky is the limit.

Western developers IMO are the biggest reason why the gaming market is poor, too much of the same thing over the course of 10yrs has become stale.

Edited on by Amigaengine

Twitter: AmigaEngine

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

23. Posted:

@Hyrule I like how you disected that Aviator grumpytroll. Thumbs up! ;)

No regrets.

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

24. Posted:

I agree with Sony dropping out. First of all, Playstation's control scheme is WAY too similar to Xbox and Nintendo's combined. Nintendo has the best remote control scheme, and Microsoft has the best camera sensor control scheme. Sony can't balance all these different products, especially when Sony's main business lays in the TV, A/V,and media components. There are bluray players that do everythng PS3 does, EXCEPT play video games. You could technically go buy a cheap bluray player, then go buy a Wii U or Xbox, or both. The only thing PS3 really has going for it is bluray IMO. Other than that, Xbox can do all the media stuff. I'm sure even Nintendo will follow suit with some cool media options later on, it's just not necessary right now. With all the products available being able to do everything ever all at once, there's no reason to be buying all these products. We need to look at the products' main strengths overall, and not focus on a little bit of everything like Sony and Apple seem to like to do.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

25. Posted:

Jaz007 wrote:

Also if memory serves me then Xbox came in last by a little bit this gen.

http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

26. Posted:

Ugh, even if this is concerning a company that I couldn't give a flying fish about, it's still the "so and so is DOOMED!" talk that's been going around for the past few months. This should be in the other gaming section anyway, not Wii U.

But enough grumbling, I'll throw in my own two cents. Sony is certainly on thin ice at the moment with its new system, and with all its fancy specs, bells and whistles and whatnot, the PS4 ain't going to be anywhere near the Wii U's price range, lest it'd be selling for even more of a loss then last gen. If people are lamenting that $350 for a system plus $60 for the average triple A title is steep, how will they react when there is $500-$600+ console on offer with games possibly costing around $70? Not well I'd imagine.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

27. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

I agree with Sony dropping out. First of all, Playstation's control scheme is WAY too similar to Xbox and Nintendo's combined. Nintendo has the best remote control scheme, and Microsoft has the best camera sensor control scheme. Sony can't balance all these different products, especially when Sony's main business lays in the TV, A/V,and media components. There are bluray players that do everythng PS3 does, EXCEPT play video games. You could technically go buy a cheap bluray player, then go buy a Wii U or Xbox, or both. The only thing PS3 really has going for it is bluray IMO. Other than that, Xbox can do all the media stuff. I'm sure even Nintendo will follow suit with some cool media options later on, it's just not necessary right now. With all the products available being able to do everything ever all at once, there's no reason to be buying all these products. We need to look at the products' main strengths overall, and not focus on a little bit of everything like Sony and Apple seem to like to do.

None of those reasons in any way imply that Sony is close to dropping out of the console business.

Furthermore, Sony owns proprietary technology in Gaikai that, whether you personally want it or not, gives Sony a large point of differentiation over its competitors.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

28. Posted:

@Bankai
That's a service, not hardware. We're talking about hardware here. Anyone who thinks PS4 is using that 8GB of RAM to run video games is gonna be disappointed.
Sony's motion control being too similar is a good reason to think they won't be able to keep it up. Nintendo already has the Wii remote as a standard controller, and Xbox is trying to make Kinect play a main part for Xbox. Sony requires a camera AND a controller. The controller may be on par with Wii remote plus, but you still need a camera which costs money, and the camera isn't even as good as Kinect. I would be surprised if Move was used in every game, and that touch pad is just sad IMO compared to the Gamepad. Unless this console costs like $450 with a good size HDD, Move controller included, Dual Shock 4, free internet services, and bluray, I don't see this being able to keep up.
Sony's probably gonna throw everything out there on day one, and not have anything to expand on. If Sony drops out, I'm sure Gaikai will show up somewhere else.

I don't see anything worth having that Microsoft or Nintendo can offer for cheaper, or is better thought out.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

29. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
That's a service, not hardware. We're talking about hardware here. Anyone who thinks PS4 is using that 8GB of RAM to run video games is gonna be disappointed.
Sony's motion control being too similar is a good reason to think they won't be able to keep it up. Nintendo already has the Wii remote as a standard controller, and Xbox is trying to make Kinect play a main part for Xbox. Sony requires a camera AND a controller. The controller may be on par with Wii remote plus, but you still need a camera which costs money, and the camera isn't even as good as Kinect. I would be surprised if Move was used in every game, and that touch pad is just sad IMO compared to the Gamepad. Unless this console costs like $450 with a good size HDD, Move controller included, Dual Shock 4, free internet services, and bluray, I don't see this being able to keep up.
Sony's probably gonna throw everything out there on day one, and not have anything to expand on. If Sony drops out, I'm sure Gaikai will show up somewhere else.

I don't see anything worth having that Microsoft or Nintendo can offer for cheaper, or is better thought out.

Gaikai requires hardware to run. The PS4 is there to enable Gaikai services.

Motion controls have nothing to do with a discussion about whether a console will drop out of the market or not. I certainly hope Sony gets around to formally dumping Move, though that looks like it won't be the case with the PS4.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ShadJV

30. Posted:

I think Sony is in the most vulnerable position of the three companies and would not be surprised if the Vita is their last handheld, but to claim the PS4 is going to fail when they haven't even released a price yet? Plenty of us (not all) agree 4 months is too early to claim the Wii U is doomed, and yet the PS4 isn't even out yet! We STILL don't know the price or exact release day, the next XBox hasn't been announced... This is just ridiculous. Can we wait a couple of years before we start foretelling a system's failure? Giants don't fall overnight, we know too little and it's too early to predict any of the big three will be ending their lives soon. If one goes down, I think Sony is most likely, but I refuse to acknowledge any doomsday predictions for any of the companies at this point in time.

Feel free to add me on the Nintendo Network: ShadJV
Here's my 3DS FC, always looking for Pokemon X Friend Safaris: 2191-7643-5167
Peace!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

31. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
That's a service, not hardware. We're talking about hardware here. Anyone who thinks PS4 is using that 8GB of RAM to run video games is gonna be disappointed.
Sony's motion control being too similar is a good reason to think they won't be able to keep it up. Nintendo already has the Wii remote as a standard controller, and Xbox is trying to make Kinect play a main part for Xbox. Sony requires a camera AND a controller. The controller may be on par with Wii remote plus, but you still need a camera which costs money, and the camera isn't even as good as Kinect. I would be surprised if Move was used in every game, and that touch pad is just sad IMO compared to the Gamepad. Unless this console costs like $450 with a good size HDD, Move controller included, Dual Shock 4, free internet services, and bluray, I don't see this being able to keep up.
Sony's probably gonna throw everything out there on day one, and not have anything to expand on. If Sony drops out, I'm sure Gaikai will show up somewhere else.

I don't see anything worth having that Microsoft or Nintendo can offer for cheaper, or is better thought out.

You have no evidence of a price tag or any evidence to validate your biased opinion as a fact.

If this generation is anything to go by, PlayStation 3's "lack of innovation" obviously didn't stand in the way of catching up to Micosoft's 360. (Though, that isn't true.)

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

32. Posted:

@Bankai
Exactly what hardware gets Gaikai to work? Motion controls do play a part in the console race. They are standard now, and that's what people have come to expect as an option on equal ground of a traditional controller. I'm not completely saying PS4 is just gonna vanish, but having a touchpad, and the exact same controller(Dual Shock) is already lacking compared to the Gamepad IMO.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

33. Posted:

@Crono_Cross
All I know, is that PS4 isn't gonna cost the same as a Wii U. Buying PS4 is basically like buying PSN service software on your console.
If you're saying I'm biased based on the fact that I like the other consoles better, you're right. I'm biased in the sense that PS4 offers me nothing, and I know that as a fact. No matter how many benefits you say there are in buying a PS4, like the services, I will never like what PS has to offer.

This whole discussion is like saying you like yellow, and I like red, and trying to convince me to like yellow more. Red just catches my eye more, that's all.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

34. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
Exactly what hardware gets Gaikai to work? Motion controls do play a part in the console race. They are standard now, and that's what people have come to expect as an option on equal ground of a traditional controller. I'm not completely saying PS4 is just gonna vanish, but having a touchpad, and the exact same controller(Dual Shock) is already lacking compared to the Gamepad IMO.

In your opinion.

In no way are motion controls the standard to playing video games. That's just false.

SCAR392 wrote:

@Crono_Cross
All I know, is that PS4 isn't gonna cost the same as a Wii U. Buying PS4 is basically like buying PSN service software on your console.
If you're saying I'm biased based on the fact that I like the other consoles better, you're right. I'm biased in the sense that PS4 offers me nothing, and I know that as a fact. No matter how many benefits you say there are in buying a PS4, like the services, I will never like what PS has to offer.

This whole discussion is like saying you like yellow, and I like red, and trying to convince me to like yellow more. Red just catches my eye more, that's all.

I am not trying to convince you to do anything whatsoever. Stop assuming. Though, it's quite sad you're so biased against a company's toy.

Edited on by Chrono_Cross

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

35. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
Exactly what hardware gets Gaikai to work? Motion controls do play a part in the console race. They are standard now, and that's what people have come to expect as an option on equal ground of a traditional controller. I'm not completely saying PS4 is just gonna vanish, but having a touchpad, and the exact same controller(Dual Shock) is already lacking compared to the Gamepad IMO.

Gaikai still requires a box sitting under the TV, optimised towards Cloud services (fast wireless antenna, fast memory etc etc) to work. But the point of Gaikai is that the expensive proprietary technology is on Sony's end, not the customer. Sony's datacentres can do things that Nintendo's and Microsoft's cannot. That, by default, is innovation.

And no. Motion controls are not going to drive Sony out of a billion dollar market.

This whole discussion is like saying you like yellow, and I like red, and trying to convince me to like yellow more. Red just catches my eye more, that's all.

Actually this discussion is about whether Sony will drop out of the hardware race. Your personal tastes are irrelevant.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Knux

36. Posted:

Hyrule wrote:

Games are what sells a system, and its fairly obvious to all but the uninformed, that after this drought, sales will sky-rocket once the Triple A titles hit the shops. The way I see it, is the console race is heading towards a two man race between Microsoft & Nintendo, with Sony leaving the hardware business depending on the success or failure of the PS4. Sony is more likely to drop out of the hardware business than Nintendo. PS Vita is an expensive flop (sales are less than the PSP this year). Sony has lost the last generations console race. Price of the PS4 whilst unannounced is more than likely, given Sony's track record, going to be extremely expensive.

Untitled

That was the most pathetic attempt at pretending that you know what you're talking about. Don't pull crap out of thin air ever again.

Worst waste of a thread ever.

Edited on by Knux

supersonic1990z@hushmail.com Twitter Wii FC: 4579-0293-6760-7162 [10:25] DarkwingLz: D**mit Knux, tell Sony to release Vita TV here >:[

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4499-6603 | Nintendo Network ID: Knux1990 | Twitter: Knux1990

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

37. Posted:

I see that you're defending Nintendo, but you are making quite a BIG CLAIM. It's not good to make conclusions based on:

  • few news article sources talking about Sony's CURRENT economic trouble
  • your game preferences (there games that people like other than Mario and Zelda FYI)
  • the lack of research indicating what Sony will do to improve its conditions
  • inductive reasoning, meaning you're making conclusions from few observations (it rained today, so that means it will rain every day)

And while Sony may have had some troubles for the past years, that DEFINITELY doesn't mean they can't improve and learn from any mistakes. Heck, Apple was facing major financial troubles back in the early 90s, and look where they are today.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

38. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Crono_Cross
All I know, is that PS4 isn't gonna cost the same as a Wii U. Buying PS4 is basically like buying PSN service software on your console.

Isn't buying any game console really mainly buying something for game software.

Currently playing: Torchlight 2 , Rune Factory 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and Uncharted 3.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

39. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
Exactly what hardware gets Gaikai to work? Motion controls do play a part in the console race. They are standard now, and that's what people have come to expect as an option on equal ground of a traditional controller. I'm not completely saying PS4 is just gonna vanish, but having a touchpad, and the exact same controller(Dual Shock) is already lacking compared to the Gamepad IMO.

In your opinion.

In no way are motion controls the standard to playing video games. That's just false.

SCAR392 wrote:

@Crono_Cross
All I know, is that PS4 isn't gonna cost the same as a Wii U. Buying PS4 is basically like buying PSN service software on your console.
If you're saying I'm biased based on the fact that I like the other consoles better, you're right. I'm biased in the sense that PS4 offers me nothing, and I know that as a fact. No matter how many benefits you say there are in buying a PS4, like the services, I will never like what PS has to offer.

This whole discussion is like saying you like yellow, and I like red, and trying to convince me to like yellow more. Red just catches my eye more, that's all.

I am not trying to convince you to do anything whatsoever. Stop assuming. Though, it's quite sad you're so biased against a company's toy.

All I got to say, is that I got a Wii U and I'm happy with it. You guys that want PS4 so bad, still have to wait. I'm not assuming anything, I just don't get why there's 'Wii U death' threads siding with PS4. Then there's people saying Nintendo's gonna go out of business when they probably have more cash for video games than Sony has for TVs, A/V components, PS, and all their other gadgets combined.
I'm not even the one who brought up the word biased or a video game drop out, so you're calling the wrong person sad. That's an assumption just as much. I just don't like what Sony's doing with PS4, so you guys that buy it, I hope you have fun.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

40. Posted:

Bankai wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Bankai
Exactly what hardware gets Gaikai to work? Motion controls do play a part in the console race. They are standard now, and that's what people have come to expect as an option on equal ground of a traditional controller. I'm not completely saying PS4 is just gonna vanish, but having a touchpad, and the exact same controller(Dual Shock) is already lacking compared to the Gamepad IMO.

Gaikai still requires a box sitting under the TV, optimised towards Cloud services (fast wireless antenna, fast memory etc etc) to work. But the point of Gaikai is that the expensive proprietary technology is on Sony's end, not the customer. Sony's datacentres can do things that Nintendo's and Microsoft's cannot. That, by default, is innovation.

And no. Motion controls are not going to drive Sony out of a billion dollar market.

This whole discussion is like saying you like yellow, and I like red, and trying to convince me to like yellow more. Red just catches my eye more, that's all.

Actually this discussion is about whether Sony will drop out of the hardware race. Your personal tastes are irrelevant.

We'll see about the first part. I know tons of people that take motion controls as a standard control method. My final word based on thoughts that one will drop out, I think it will be Sony. I'm not the one who thought any of them would drop out, I just know I'm not gonna get one.

$¢@®³’²