Showing 1 to 20 of 40
1. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 13:59 BST
So, as soon as the WiiU was announced Nintendo made it clear that they wanted to (once again) give us a unique controller for it's system. The trailer showed us all sorts of different ways that the controller could be used and this got me wondering what games we could see on the platform. Given the amount of praise that the controller (and console) has had from a range of developers AND third parties, what types of games do you think would work especially well with this controller? Also, what forgotten franchises or less mainstream game series could you see working well with the WiiU. My ideas are below:
Clock Tower Wii U? (or other point and click games)The survival horror franchise has it's roots in point and click titles but has also had one third-person action/adventure title. I think that motion controlled aspects of the controller could work really well. For example: if your character is stood in a room, we can see the whole room and our character from a third-person perspective on the TV screen, but maybe the controller's screen can show us the character's first person view. The controller can be moved back and forth to look around the room and the touch screen can be used to select and inspect various items in the room. This could work for lots of point and click games, in the same way it was used in Trace Memory or Hotel Dusk.
That's just one idea. Anyone else has any ideas? :3
Edited on Thu 21st July, 2011 @ 13:59 by Willerz
Twitter || Backloggery
3DS: 3780 - 9266 - 7113
2. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 16:57 BST
I have many ideas for WiiU that I'll keep till I make it into the gaming industry :3
Everytime I go to the gym, I always have ideas running through my mind of how to make the best use of WiiU's new interface. I'm really excited and want to get to designing games.
3. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 17:12 BST
I sense a ton of new puzzle games will overtake the downloadable portion of WiiU
4. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 17:22 BST
5. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 19:32 BST
Better to have loads of puzzles than just using the controller screen for menus.
6. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 20:31 BST
1. Realtime top-down strategy games like Command & Conquer and StarCraft.
2. Drawing games/software like Mario Paint and Art Academy.
3. Point & Click adventures like Day of the Tentacle and Hotel Dusk.
4. Games where you have to switch from 3rd into 1st person like Luigi's Mansion or Metroid Other M.
5. Games with editors (for painting and designing your own worlds/characters/outfits/etc.) like The Sims, Animal Crossing, Little Big Planet or Tekken U.
6. Educational games with letter and character recognition, and voice recognition, like in English Training or Kawashima.
7. Online games with videochat.
8. Remakes of DSi exclusives. (Wii U is the first console that is able to fully emulate DS/DSi games like Nintendogs)
9. Puzzle games.
10. Motion controlled games.
11. Classic controlled games.
12. Tablet games.
13. Wii games.
14. HD games.
Edited on Thu 21st July, 2011 @ 20:33 by SKTTR
7. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 20:38 BST
^I was wondering when you'd show up. You made some damn good points, too.
Official Member of NL's Atlus Fan Club.
Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open.
"Uruffufu" - Wolfrun
8. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:30 BST
The Wii U controller is part of the reason I'm ecstatic about the next console Metroid. A traditional controller, gyroscopic motion-sensing, a second screen... Now there's no excuse not to have a perfect 3rd-person Metroid game.
9. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:40 BST
Any game with an extensive inventory (IE Animal Crossing) would be great for Wii U.
When I close my eyes, I see pixilated blood.
10. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:44 BST
Anything by Goichi Suda. I can't wait to see what he comes up with for the WiiU
Wii Friend Code 8374 5861 5332 3075
PSN ID: grenworthshero
3DS Code: 3823-8687-7682
Super Smash Bros. Brawl code 0088-0142-8986 (Caleb)
Goldeneye 007 4603-4818-2293 ([NL] Viper 04) NL Clan's Official Website
11. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:44 BST
I hope they're like Bobby Carrot Forever.
Wii#: 8509193650686895 Overturn friend code: 4942-6801-5476 Water Warfare friend code: 3611-2517-8747 Valhalla Knights: Eldar Saga friend code: 5458-1453-0863
12. Posted: Thu 21st Jul 2011 21:49 BST
13. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 10:50 BST
1. Realtime top-down strategy games like Command & Conquer and StarCraft.2. Drawing games/software like Mario Paint and Art Academy.3. Point & Click adventures like Day of the Tentacle and Hotel Dusk.4. Games where you have to switch from 3rd into 1st person like Luigi's Mansion or Metroid Other M.5. Games with editors (for painting and designing your own worlds/characters/outfits/etc.) like The Sims, Animal Crossing, Little Big Planet or Tekken U.6. Educational games with letter and character recognition, and voice recognition, like in English Training or Kawashima.7. Online games with videochat.8. Remakes of DSi exclusives. (Wii U is the first console that is able to fully emulate DS/DSi games like Nintendogs)9. Puzzle games.10. Motion controlled games.11. Classic controlled games.12. Tablet games.13. Wii games.14. HD games.
I never thought of games like the Sims. I actually believe that that series could actually work better on Wii U than on PC. :')I believe the controller could also revive my interest in strategy games like Fire Emblem too.
14. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 11:10 BST
Changed name: Old name was JDT!Ponies will take over the world. Just deal with it.3DS FC: 1375-7189-4496
15. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 11:18 BST
True, the touch screen would work great for the celestial brush techniques. :3
16. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 12:29 BST
I'd like to see some new game experiences come up: Stuff like Pac Man Vs for multiplayer, where the Pacman has his own screen (the Wii U tablet) and the player ghosts have to track him down.
Or, and this is right out there, but Dungeons and Dragons and other pen and paper RPGs involve a player acting as a "Dungeon Master". He has a lot of data that is kept behind a screen on the table top. It would be awesome for an RPG application to be developed for the WiiU that would allow the "Dungeon Master" to use the Wii U tablet as the "screen"
Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)
17. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 13:02 BST
If they bring FF13 to the WiiU, they can transform the tablet into a book.I also see a Rhythm Heaven coming to Wii U.
Edited on Fri 22nd July, 2011 @ 13:02 by Aviator
I want your whiskey mouth all over my blonde south
I am an art popist. I assign art to things that are popular. I place new meaning on that which already exist.
We could belong together.
Sony Entertainment Network: naviator_9
Nintendo Network ID: Aviator9
18. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 14:37 BST
I'd like to see some new game experiences come up: Stuff like Pac Man Vs for multiplayer, where the Pacman has his own screen (the Wii U tablet) and the player ghosts have to track him down.Or, and this is right out there, but Dungeons and Dragons and other pen and paper RPGs involve a player acting as a "Dungeon Master". He has a lot of data that is kept behind a screen on the table top. It would be awesome for an RPG application to be developed for the WiiU that would allow the "Dungeon Master" to use the Wii U tablet as the "screen"
Oh yeah, completely forget that extra-screen aspect that makes certain multiplayer games possible with Wii U.
It's better for all kinds of local multiplayer card games. Others can't look into your cards. The WIi U controller goes round in circles. Finally some local offline Poker, UNO, etc. It's also better for lots of board games, like RISK, where others aren't allowed to see your strategy/diplomacy etc. Same in football simulations.
And the many multiplayer genre mixes that are now possible, some examples: One player is stitching up an accident victim Trauma Center-like on the touchscreen while the other tries to drive the ambulance car safely to the hospital with the wiimote.Four wizards fight against monsters RPG/FPS-like with wiimote+nunchuck, while one player with the touchscreen is a black mage and spawns monsters on the playing field. He levels up by killing the other players to be able to spawn even mightier monsters. Killer Freaks From Outer Space might be close to this idea, hope the alien mothership levels up and gains more skills by killing the earth defending fps soldiers and vice versa.Or in a stealth game, one player is intruding some wellguarded HQ, while the other is a hacker with access to the map, jacking cameras and weapon systems, controlling lights and door locks in the environment to scare guards and open rooms for the other player or something.
Edited on Fri 22nd July, 2011 @ 14:41 by SKTTR
19. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 14:42 BST
Currently Playing: Super Mario Galaxy 2!
We shall swim to Bubble Island, or you will suffer the wrath of my Trident Laser!
80's FANATIC & King of NES Tekkidome!
3DS! 3995 - 6594 - 9186
20. Posted: Fri 22nd Jul 2011 14:50 BST
@SKTTR I'd love to see that Trauma Centre idea come true!!
"People were throwing shoes at us in SF and LA. I don't know why. It's like 'You guys are great. Here's my shoe.' People must have been walking around with one shoe." James Hetfield