Forums

Topic: Feeling sad about Wii U, but also loving it very much

Posts 121 to 140 of 164

Tyranexx

I really don't understand some of the complaints about the Gamepad other than the abysmal battery life, but there's always a charger if you need one. I've always felt that it's really comfortable to hold. While I do prefer the pro controller in some cases (mainly for battery life), the Wii U Gamepad has always been fun to use. It's a shame that more games didn't use it in an innovative manner.

@Hikingguy: I'll admit - I'm not good with comforting words; more often than not I feel like they're too generic. Text on a web page cannot properly express my condolences. I have no way of knowing what you're going through, but I hope that you can use those memories and your shared love of gaming (and other pastimes, I'm sure) to heal.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

SuperLuigi111

Tyranexx wrote:

I really don't understand some of the complaints about the Gamepad other than the abysmal battery life, but there's always a charger if you need one. I've always felt that it's really comfortable to hold. While I do prefer the pro controller in some cases (mainly for battery life), the Wii U Gamepad has always been fun to use. It's a shame that more games didn't use it in an innovative manner.

The battery life is awful.....I can only have it unplugged for a few hours it seems. I'm also not a big fan of the charger, it should have been a simple USB cord like the Pro controller. I also feel that pressing the L and R buttons is uncomfortable. And I just feel that that quality of the screen is not as good as it should have been.

@Hikingguy You have my condolences.

SuperLuigi111

RenderSpotlight

@Sculptor @Tyranexx @SuperLuigi111
Thank you all very much. Just taking a moment to comment is more than I expect anyone to do. It has put my life in perspective for sure.

It is like Nintendo could not make up their mind with the Wii U because when it comes to the spectrum of battery life they seemed to occupy both ends. Wii U Pro controller was totally spectacular. The Wii U GamePad needed a much bigger battery and/or the screen needed to be more efficient or in reality, both. I always wished I would have ponied up and just got the larger battery. My son would use the GamePad so much that I lost count how many charging cables he went through. At least they were cheap because it felt like I was always ordering new cables because the connector piece would wear out.
But it seems like Nintendo is not stocking the larger battery anymore. Bummer!

RenderSpotlight

RenderSpotlight

@Cobalt I wish I would have done exactly that! 3 of them sounds about right.
But for whatever reason, in my neck of the woods, the official Nintendo brand are really, really expensive on ebay at the moment. The price from that link is not bad at all (about $35), but when I look locally, they are well over $150 even $300+
I really wish I would have just bought it directly from Nintendo when they had it in stock. 8+ hours is way better than 2+ hours. Maybe I will give them a call.

RenderSpotlight

Tyranexx

Mine seems to average about three hours on a charge depending on the game. It's usually good enough for a couple of my normal (weeknight) sessions. The long gaming stretches are where it's really noticeable. Sometimes I would get so caught up when playing XCX that I wouldn't even notice the red light until it was too late....

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

deniro444

@Hikingguy First off, my deepest condolences. Being a father myself, I can only imagine! Second, I called Nintendo to order a spare (regular) Wii U battery and also asked if they have the high capacity one and they said no. The guy on the phone I spoke with went on to say that you shouldn't hold your breath for them to make any new ones. Sorry! If you see a good deal on eBay, scoop it up!

deniro444

1UP_MARIO

@SuperLuigi111 definetely something you need for the Wii u. Mine last more than 6 hours. This should of come as a standard.

Also agree with everyone about the game pad being more comfortable to hold than the switch in handheld but it could also be my fat hands. I also prefer gaming on the old 2ds than the 3ds XL

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

SuperLuigi111

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 definetely something you need for the Wii u. Mine last more than 6 hours. This should of come as a standard.

Also agree with everyone about the game pad being more comfortable to hold than the switch in handheld but it could also be my fat hands. I also prefer gaming on the old 2ds than the 3ds XL

All I can find on ebay are third-party ones, which I don't trust. There's only a few official ones and they're over $100.

SuperLuigi111

1UP_MARIO

@SuperLuigi111 wow that’s expensive. The official ones here (UK) are about 25 pounds. The 2550 mAh official Wii u battery and really easy to replace

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

Cobalt

@Hikingguy

Generally, here in France it's around 70€ if you wanna buy one these days on the internet.
I bought mine 29.99€ each in a local store but it was in 2014...

I swear the Wii U + High Capacity battery = my favorite Nintendo system (with the SNES) ever.
I wouldn't be surprised if in some years, the Wii U will become a kind of "console for collectors" because many people will realize that the bashing around the system wasn't justified.

A great example to understand how the bashing was insane, look at this :
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze Wii U : https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/donkey-kong-country-tropical...

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze SWITCH : https://www.gamespot.com/reviews/donkey-kong-country-tropical...

This is just crazy...

Cobalt

SuperLuigi111

Just saying to either of you guys, I would pay you to buy one for me and have it shipped directly to me.....

SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

I think this console deserved the criticism it got. There's no way it could be most people's main console. But it did have some cool things about it.

SuperLuigi111

1UP_MARIO

@SuperLuigi111 Nintendo sell it. They still sell it at Nintendo.co.uk for 24.99

You should try playasia

Edited on by 1UP_MARIO

SuperLuigi111

1UP_MARIO wrote:

@SuperLuigi111 Nintendo sell it. They still sell it at Nintendo.co.uk for 24.99

You should try playasia

Thanks for that. Will the battery be region-restricted? Or will it work in an American gamepad?

EDIT: Unfortunately they only deliver to UK addresses so I can't buy one. And the American Nintendo store doesn't have any for some reason. Way to go, Nintendo...

Edited on by SuperLuigi111

SuperLuigi111

RenderSpotlight

@Cobalt I am far from a serious collector but the way I see it, the Wii U is going to be hard to call at this point. Out of all the major consoles of the time, the Wii U will be by far the least common. So that will bode well for scarcity. But it is demand along with scarcity that drives up prices. And Times are very different these days then they were in the past. There were many less people in the past who bought video games with the idea of collecting back than compared to today. In the future, there will be many more complete, in box unopened games competing in the market then there ever was for lets say the NES or even SNES.
But since the Wii U was the first major Nintendo console to offer downloading as a serious method to buy major games that might make some games less common and more difficult to get.
Another major obstacle for the Wii U that other consoles, like the Saturn, did not have to contend with will be Nintendo itself. Nintendo is going to release everything on the Switch. They have a plethora of easy games to release quickly. Besides a few games, most are going to be fully playable on the Switch. And people might have little reason to go back. And people who never played the Wii U, might have more nostalgia for the Switch version.
But that also might work out well. If people do not see value in the Wii U version, and the majority want the Switch version, then the Wii U prices will fall. But you never know, it might work out exactly the opposite too.
In 20 years there might be a resurgence in interest with the Wii U, "Nintendo's forgotten console". Plus, as of now, it is really the only official way to play Wii games via HDMI. So people might value the Wii U as a better way to play Wii games.
Personally I think the Wii U is a great console. But IMO, there are just so many variables at the moment, it is so hard to say.
Some games in the past that I thought would have value, are relatively inexpensive, but others that I did not give a second thought about, are worth a lot.
It is just hard to say.
But I have a feeling that some Wii U games have not hit their bottom yet. Prices are still falling as people slowly move on to the Switch. Even games that sold for more money even just a year ago or so, are much less expensive already.
I wish I knew.

RenderSpotlight

SuperLuigi111

I'm starting to question whether I should continue buying Wii U games, as I feel most of them will get ported to the Switch eventually.

SuperLuigi111

Cobalt

@Hikingguy Wow, that's a serious reply !

I think you're absolutely right. The only thing that might be different is the way people are according to where they live.
I mean, here in EU, I see games like Project Zero V in between 150€ and 230€, Bayonetta 2 First Print in between 200€ and 250€, Tokyo Mirage Sessions Fortissimo in between 90€ and 150€ etc...

I think it's insane. I don't like the way the price went up but I'm happy to have bought those games, day one. I don't care about the price in itself, I care about the game but I can't deny that I'd be disgusted to pay that kind of price today. Games should be accessible to everyone.

@SuperLuigi111 :

Super Mario 3D World
The Wonderful 101
Yoshi's Wooly World
Zelda The Windwaker HD
Zelda Twilight Princess HD
Super Mario Maker
Project Zero V
Nintendoland
StarFox Zero
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
Pikmin 3
Paper Mario Color Splash
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
Zombi U etc...

All of them with some others are not ported to the Switch and they are some 3rd party games having unique way to play them due to the gamepad.
Games like : Mass Effect 3, Splinter Cell Blacklist, Deus Ex Human Revolutions, Resident Evil Revelations, Need For Speed Most Wanted etc...
And last but not least, the Eshop + Virtual Console. Thousands of games playable under the same ecosystem, just awesome.

Cobalt

SuperLuigi111

@Cobalt
Only about half of the games interest me, and I guarantee that most of these will be re-released on Switch though at some point. So many games have been already. I had to take off half the games on my Wii U list yesterday when I realized they were on Switch. And I'm not really too concerned with the Gamepad functions, I'm just not the biggest fan of the Gamepad. And I can't even find that extra-long battery in my country, so I'm thinking it's time to just focus on the four games on my list that I'm sure won't go to Switch and call it a day. I also took one game off my list yesterday because it's actually cheaper to get for the PS4.

And as for the virtual console, we still don't have a lot of details about Switch's subscription system. I know that on Playstation, you can keep the games you download that are free forever. I don't know if that will be the case with Switch or not. If it's not, Virtual Console will suddenly have a lot more meaning and the value of the Wii U will increase exponentially. If so though, it does not bode well for the Wii U....

Right now I can only imagine that DS games would be better played on a Wii U than a Switch, due to the ability to put the bottom screen on the Gamepad and have it function like a giant DS.

SuperLuigi111

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.