Wii U Forum

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Showing 781 to 800 of 1,333

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cookiex

781. Posted:

How do we know who even reviewed it when the article doesn't exist?

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

AuthorMessage
Avatar

JonnyKong

782. Posted:

I say we all don't get so worked up over this one review. I think we all know here it's not going to be a 5/10 game.

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

783. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

Well, I can't change anyone's opinion, but I think Tropical Freeze looks just fine. I never had a problem with the way the mine kart levels were handled in Returns, but obviously some people did.

What really upsets me though, is the people that write this game off and bash Retro simply because they wanted Medtroid.

The level that upset me the most was the one where tidal waves come in from the background. The first time playing it you won't know what's safe to stand in front of. If that's not trial and error, then I don't know what is.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Rezalack

784. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

The level that upset me the most was the one where tidal waves come in from the background. The first time playing it you won't know what's safe to stand in front of. If that's not trial and error, then I don't know what is.

That was one of my favorite levels.. I don't remember having any problem knowing which things I could hide behind though. It was still a pretty challenging level regardless, I remember becoming a little frustrated. (I tend to like that though, makes the beating it that much sweeter.)

The reviews of this game won't deter me from getting it, especially Gamespots. They only have 1 or 2 reviewers that I trust and McShea definitely isn't one of them. This game is still staying preordered for me. Can't wait.

Rezalack

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

785. Posted:

@DudeSean: Tidal Terror trial-and-error? You hide behind rocks to avoid the waves. That should come natural.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

786. Posted:

DestinyMan wrote:

@DudeSean: Tidal Terror trial-and-error? You hide behind rocks to avoid the waves. That should come natural.

Did you even read my post? It's not as simple as hiding behind rocks because some of the rocks fall down when the tidal wave hits resulting in an instant death. You don't know it's not safe until you try to hide in front of it and die. Trial. And. Error.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Thrash13

787. Posted:

I've yet to hide behind anything in that level and get swept away. If the rock is short, you duck. That's pretty obvious, so I'm not with you at all on that one. In fact, it didn't take long for my 6-year old to beat that one.

That being said, there are definitely some levels where you have to live and learn in DKC Returns for 3DS. There is no way anyone here went through every level without messing up plenty of times before getting the routine down in order to pass it. However, that's a positive in my book. I disagree with a lot of reviewers in that aspect. It's refreshing to have a game series as challenging as the DK series.

Thrash13

Twitter: CThrash13

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

788. Posted:

@DudeSean: But the wall that crumbles after getting hit once doesn't hit you; it just gives you protection from one wave. I fail to understand your argument for Tidal Terror being trial-and-error.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

789. Posted:

Thrash13 wrote:

I've yet to hide behind anything in that level and get swept away. If the rock is short, you duck. That's pretty obvious, so I'm not with you at all on that one. In fact, it didn't take long for my 6-year old to beat that one.

You think you're funny, don't you? You disagree with me so you try to belittle me by saying a 6 year old did better. Well, facts are facts, jack, and you trying to be cute doesn't change that.

DestinyMan wrote:

@DudeSean: But the wall that crumbles after getting hit once doesn't hit you; it just gives you protection from one wave. I fail to understand your argument for Tidal Terror being trial-and-error.

My argument? It's a fact that if you hide in front of the wrong rock it results in an instant death. Once you learn that you can't hide behind the smaller rocks without ducking then it's fine, but it requires trial and error to learn that. Or you're just lucky the first time and figure it out without dying.

Just to be clear here, I don't know if the 3DS version is any different, but I've only played the Wii version.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LucinaSmash

790. Posted:

The more Nintendo Direct shows off Mario Kart 8, the more excited I get for the game. Unfortunately, it is the opposite of what I'm feeling about Tropical Freeze. How is the latest Nintendo Direct trailer of Tropical Freeze any different from last year's e3 direct?

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

AuthorMessage
Avatar

blondeandy

791. Posted:

Tom McShea is the reason i don't go on gamespot anymore. His Skyward Sword review was just silly and there mostly to make a name for himself. Although i appreciate reviews are just one person's opinion i believe the larger game review sites need to try and get the right people reviewing the right games, if someone is going into a review with a negative bias then it isn't fair on the game. I think the famitsu approach is a good one although can imagine having to get 4 people to review each game could be expensive and time-consuming. Will still be a day one buy for me to support the big N but it will have to go to the back of the queue wii u - wise. Just completed champions road on SMB3DW, next game in darksiders 2 and still have pikmin 3, wonderful 101, windwaker, rayman and more to play....

blondeandy

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Thrash13

792. Posted:

@DudeSean- Don't be so sensitive man. My 6-year old has beaten some of the worlds faster than I have. I just wanted to point out that Tidal Terror wasn't one of the harder levels for us.

And besides, I did come to your defense by saying a lot of the levels in DKC are trial-and-error. But quite honestly, how many games don't have a little trial-and-error? I haven't played much of Mario 3D World, but from the little I've played, I can definitely see some levels taking a few tries to learn all the strategies needed to succeed. I'm not one of those gamers who gets off on beating games with one play through. I enjoy struggling, and that's why the DK games are so great to me. Trial-and-error is just fine by me, and I think it's an absurd reason to rate a game negatively.

Thrash13

Twitter: CThrash13

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Undead_terror

793. Posted:

4 more days until the banana mania contest is over, I don't want first place so I win a trip to a ski resort because I don't have the time, but I would like to be a runner up and win myself a Wii U bundle....I can only dream!

I am the zombie god that controls zombie in both games and real life...FEAR ME!
Nintendo Friends website/forums I eShop Gurus I Random Game Thread I The graveyard (backloggery)
Currently owns Mario & Luigi Dream Team 3DS XL...no Wii U yet.

3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MasterWario

794. Posted:

@DudeSean The only part of that level which I believe is trial-and-error is the part where the waves go through the ship window. And frankly, that was hilarious. Anyway, if that level is trial-and-error then I'm definitely ok with more trial-and-error in TF!

Edited on by MasterWario

Shulk! HOORAY! Now if they just add King K. Rool, the game will be complete.
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cookiex

795. Posted:

Some people on Gamefaqs state that the review embargo will end tomorrow. Since it's just four days before release expect a flood of reviews.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NintyMan

796. Posted:

Doesn't every game have a learning curve or trial-and-error? A level will seem new to you at first and you will make mistakes, but the more you play the level, the better you get and you'll know what to expect. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan
Donkey Kong- King of the Jungle

3DS Friend Code: 2449-4663-7817 | Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MasterWario

797. Posted:

Oh wait, I got this! All these levels where there is complaint about trial and error is due to the fact that the obstacles one shot KO you and send you back real far. No one complains about, say, the jumping sharks because they only chunk out one heart.

Shulk! HOORAY! Now if they just add King K. Rool, the game will be complete.
My Pushmo Levels
My Crashmo Levels
My Colors! 3D Gallery
Bogmire sprite by A.J. Nitro

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371

AuthorMessage
Avatar

cookiex

798. Posted:

MasterWario wrote:

Oh wait, I got this! All these levels where there is complaint about trial and error is due to the fact that the obstacles one shot KO you and send you back real far. No one complains about, say, the jumping sharks because they only chunk out one heart.

But the Kongs were one-hit-point wonders in the original games...

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

799. Posted:

I think the DKC games, and to some degree all platformers, have always had trial-and-error gameplay. I don't think that's changed from the original until now. As for Tidal Terror, I thought it made it pretty clear that you needed to hide behind cover. Maybe you die once from not knowing the tidal wave would come, but other than that I thought it was fair. Also, the walls that crumble do so after one hit, it's not an instant death.

Tom McShea has always been a joke of a reviewer to me. I stopped going to Gamespot years ago because it just became too much for me to handle. He tends to blame the game for his own incompetence rather than actually trying to learn how to play.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

camerica1618

800. Posted:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?safesearch=1&v=PzbowNx2KQ8&...

That's a vid of someone playing Tidal Terror. I know that the guy playing has played the level before, but I fail to see where trial-and-error is found. There's no rocks to hide behind that cause instant death.

camerica1618