Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 641 to 660 of 1,203

MasterWario

Whoa what just happened to this thread? Seems like a bunch of bananas exploded all over the screen.

Also, I wouldn't mind a bit of trial-and-error/reflexes instead of "oh I died because I didn't technically land on the mine tracks". That kills me in the original DKC games. At least with Returns I knew exactly why I died. Also it is definitely possible to beat the DKCR levels in one go, without just being lucky. Hot Rocket is a good example. Ridiculously hard? Yes. Impossible on the first run? Nah, you just need to keep your wits about you. Likely to die once on the fire dragon things, but that's about it for specific trial and error.

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Datasun_7

To be honest I thought the difficulty in dkcr was perfect, I recently played the original dkc so I was not blinded by nostalgia it felt more unfar/trial and error than dkcr ever was and really only the rocket barrels apply to that and they rarely show up

Proud Samus main for ssb4!
Hyped for Capt. Toad, Yoshis woolly world, Mario maker and splatoon in the first half of 2015
Wii U, 3DS and PS4 owner

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1379-1446 | Nintendo Network ID: Datasun_7

ThePirateCaptain

Well, I can't change anyone's opinion, but I think Tropical Freeze looks just fine. I never had a problem with the way the mine kart levels were handled in Returns, but obviously some people did.

What really upsets me though, is the people that write this game off and bash Retro simply because they wanted Medtroid.

Edited on by ThePirateCaptain

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

cookiex

CapnPancakes wrote:

What really upsets me though, is the people that write this game off and bash Retro simply because they wanted Metroid.

I stupidly bought into the rumors that they were rebooting StarTropics so I shouldn't complain lol.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Cia

The Gamespot guy who apparently gave it 5/10, is also the same guy that gave Skyward Sword one of it's lowest scores (according to Metacritic). Also.. what the heck? Apparently he gave Bioshock Infinite 4/10, but for some reason that particular review does not count in Metacritic, where the game has a 90 from Gamespot. It seems that they've put multiple people reviewing Bioshock Infinite in Gamespot, apparently so that Metacritic could put the highest rating score in their site. They'd better do multiple reviews with DKCTR as well. Otherwise i'm not sure if i should laugh or cry...

Edited on by Cia

Cia

cookiex

How do we know who even reviewed it when the article doesn't exist?

cookiex

JonnyKong

I say we all don't get so worked up over this one review. I think we all know here it's not going to be a 5/10 game.

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

DudeSean

CapnPancakes wrote:

Well, I can't change anyone's opinion, but I think Tropical Freeze looks just fine. I never had a problem with the way the mine kart levels were handled in Returns, but obviously some people did.

What really upsets me though, is the people that write this game off and bash Retro simply because they wanted Medtroid.

The level that upset me the most was the one where tidal waves come in from the background. The first time playing it you won't know what's safe to stand in front of. If that's not trial and error, then I don't know what is.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Rezalack

DudeSean wrote:

The level that upset me the most was the one where tidal waves come in from the background. The first time playing it you won't know what's safe to stand in front of. If that's not trial and error, then I don't know what is.

That was one of my favorite levels.. I don't remember having any problem knowing which things I could hide behind though. It was still a pretty challenging level regardless, I remember becoming a little frustrated. (I tend to like that though, makes the beating it that much sweeter.)

The reviews of this game won't deter me from getting it, especially Gamespots. They only have 1 or 2 reviewers that I trust and McShea definitely isn't one of them. This game is still staying preordered for me. Can't wait.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

DudeSean

DestinyMan wrote:

@DudeSean: Tidal Terror trial-and-error? You hide behind rocks to avoid the waves. That should come natural.

Did you even read my post? It's not as simple as hiding behind rocks because some of the rocks fall down when the tidal wave hits resulting in an instant death. You don't know it's not safe until you try to hide in front of it and die. Trial. And. Error.

DudeSean

CThrash13

I've yet to hide behind anything in that level and get swept away. If the rock is short, you duck. That's pretty obvious, so I'm not with you at all on that one. In fact, it didn't take long for my 6-year old to beat that one.

That being said, there are definitely some levels where you have to live and learn in DKC Returns for 3DS. There is no way anyone here went through every level without messing up plenty of times before getting the routine down in order to pass it. However, that's a positive in my book. I disagree with a lot of reviewers in that aspect. It's refreshing to have a game series as challenging as the DK series.

CThrash13

Twitter:

DudeSean

Thrash13 wrote:

I've yet to hide behind anything in that level and get swept away. If the rock is short, you duck. That's pretty obvious, so I'm not with you at all on that one. In fact, it didn't take long for my 6-year old to beat that one.

You think you're funny, don't you? You disagree with me so you try to belittle me by saying a 6 year old did better. Well, facts are facts, jack, and you trying to be cute doesn't change that.

DestinyMan wrote:

@DudeSean: But the wall that crumbles after getting hit once doesn't hit you; it just gives you protection from one wave. I fail to understand your argument for Tidal Terror being trial-and-error.

My argument? It's a fact that if you hide in front of the wrong rock it results in an instant death. Once you learn that you can't hide behind the smaller rocks without ducking then it's fine, but it requires trial and error to learn that. Or you're just lucky the first time and figure it out without dying.

Just to be clear here, I don't know if the 3DS version is any different, but I've only played the Wii version.

DudeSean

LucinaSmash

The more Nintendo Direct shows off Mario Kart 8, the more excited I get for the game. Unfortunately, it is the opposite of what I'm feeling about Tropical Freeze. How is the latest Nintendo Direct trailer of Tropical Freeze any different from last year's e3 direct?

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

blondeandy

Tom McShea is the reason i don't go on gamespot anymore. His Skyward Sword review was just silly and there mostly to make a name for himself. Although i appreciate reviews are just one person's opinion i believe the larger game review sites need to try and get the right people reviewing the right games, if someone is going into a review with a negative bias then it isn't fair on the game. I think the famitsu approach is a good one although can imagine having to get 4 people to review each game could be expensive and time-consuming. Will still be a day one buy for me to support the big N but it will have to go to the back of the queue wii u - wise. Just completed champions road on SMB3DW, next game in darksiders 2 and still have pikmin 3, wonderful 101, windwaker, rayman and more to play....

blondeandy

CThrash13

@DudeSean- Don't be so sensitive man. My 6-year old has beaten some of the worlds faster than I have. I just wanted to point out that Tidal Terror wasn't one of the harder levels for us.

And besides, I did come to your defense by saying a lot of the levels in DKC are trial-and-error. But quite honestly, how many games don't have a little trial-and-error? I haven't played much of Mario 3D World, but from the little I've played, I can definitely see some levels taking a few tries to learn all the strategies needed to succeed. I'm not one of those gamers who gets off on beating games with one play through. I enjoy struggling, and that's why the DK games are so great to me. Trial-and-error is just fine by me, and I think it's an absurd reason to rate a game negatively.

CThrash13

Twitter:

Undead_terror

4 more days until the banana mania contest is over, I don't want first place so I win a trip to a ski resort because I don't have the time, but I would like to be a runner up and win myself a Wii U bundle....I can only dream!

Sp00ky scary skeleton back to play games and dew other fine things indead!
The Graveyard (Backloggery) l Nintendo ID: Undead_terror

Switch Friend Code: SW-8251-5734-1036 | 3DS Friend Code: 5198-2878-6360 | My Nintendo: Undead_terror | Nintendo Network ID: Undead_terror | Twitter:

MasterWario

@DudeSean The only part of that level which I believe is trial-and-error is the part where the waves go through the ship window. And frankly, that was hilarious. Anyway, if that level is trial-and-error then I'm definitely ok with more trial-and-error in TF!

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My Pushmo Levels

cookiex

Some people on Gamefaqs state that the review embargo will end tomorrow. Since it's just four days before release expect a flood of reviews.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex

MasterWario

Oh wait, I got this! All these levels where there is complaint about trial and error is due to the fact that the obstacles one shot KO you and send you back real far. No one complains about, say, the jumping sharks because they only chunk out one heart.

My Pushmo Levels

cookiex

MasterWario wrote:

Oh wait, I got this! All these levels where there is complaint about trial and error is due to the fact that the obstacles one shot KO you and send you back real far. No one complains about, say, the jumping sharks because they only chunk out one heart.

But the Kongs were one-hit-point wonders in the original games...

cookiex

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.