Wii U Forum

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Showing 321 to 340 of 1,324

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

321. Posted:

@DudeSean
1. That's where you have to stop trying to take the game seriously and look at it for what it is, a game. I prefer my games to be unrealistic because it allows me to experience things that don't make sense and would never happen in reality. In this case, it's an old hunchbacked ape swinging on vines to take back his home from an army of animal vikings.

2. I honestly don't know what Cranky Kong's special ability would be, but obviously if this is real he'll have some use. Maybe he'll act like Squawks did in DKCR and find hidden items for you or something.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

322. Posted:

I understand that it's just a game, but people still want their games to have some sort of realism. For example, people aren't happy if the gravity is too much or too little, or if small, weak looking enemies take a lot of hits to kill. Even though it is a fantasy world, people do have some realistic expectations. And you guys can make fun of me all you want for saying that having Cranky running, jumping, bouncing and blasting through levels is ridiculous in a fantasy game, but that's how I feel and you guys making fun of me for it isn't going to change my opinion.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

323. Posted:

@DudeSean
I'm not trying to make fun of you, I just think it's somewhat of a nitpick to complain about it. Nevertheless, this hasn't even been confirmed yet, so maybe Cranky won't even be playable.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

324. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

I understand that it's just a game, but people still want their games to have some sort of realism. For example, people aren't happy if the gravity is too much or too little, or if small, weak looking enemies take a lot of hits to kill. Even though it is a fantasy world, people do have some realistic expectations. And you guys can make fun of me all you want for saying that having Cranky running, jumping, bouncing and blasting through levels is ridiculous in a fantasy game, but that's how I feel and you guys making fun of me for it isn't going to change my opinion.

No we don't...

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

325. Posted:

@CapnPancakes No, you haven't been making fun and I respect that.

@DarkwingLz Did you ignore my examples? I'm not saying people don't want want intelligent apes and monkeys in their fantasy games, but the mere physics still have to make some sort of logical sense, and that logical sense of how physics should work is based on real life. People want stories in their games that explain why the character's have motivation for doing what they're doing. DK and friends want their island back, or their bananas. That's a realistic feeling, wanting something back which was taken from them. If you disagree with me about Cranky, then that's fine, but it seems a bit absurd to deny the fact that people at least want some realism in their games.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

AuthorMessage

DreamyViridi

326. Posted:

@DudeSean - For the record, I'm not making fun of you either for your reasoning, because that would make me the kind of person I somewhat despise. I must say though, that asking for realism in a game universe like this... does seem a bit odd.

Maybe this is just a case of judging a book by its cover, but like @CapnPancakes said; Cranky being playable hasn't been officially revealed. His appearance on the box art doesn't necessarily mean playable but does highlight his importance in the game. For all we know, the 4th character may still be a secret with Cranky being on the cover acting as a "scapegoat".

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
The Kid Icarus League's LuigiMan200 - Bio by True_Hero.
My YouTube Channel
Lucina confirmed for Smash Bros.!

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

327. Posted:

@DreamyViridi Nope. You weren't making fun, either. I feel like you guys aren't understanding what I meant when I said people want realism in games. I'm not saying people want games to be 100% realistic. I understand that most gamers don't want that, and gamers that do want that are people that play war games or simulation games. Well, I've already explained what I mean about realism in games enough times that if you guys don't get it or don't agree, then so be it.

I've never said that Cranky is confirmed to be playable, I was simply stated my reaction to the possibility of Cranky being a playable character. Whether he is or is not is irrelevant, as my comments were directed towards the possibility of him being a playable character.

DudeSean

AuthorMessage

Nathan_Wv10

328. Posted:

Can't we just pretend Cranky is like Yoda and very old and rail but can jump around like a ninja when he needs too :P

Nathan_Wv10

Twitter: Nathplaydirty

AuthorMessage

Thrash13

329. Posted:

We'll just have to wait and see if this is even legit first before making too many assumptions. I'm sure we'll get a trailer similar to the Dixie one a month or two ago whenever they are ready to officially announce the fourth playable character. That cover does look legit, but that doesn't mean it is. Heck, we had two websites list Luigi's Mansion for Wii U not too long ago, and that apparently wasn't too legit. I'm ready to see a confirmation on the fourth playable character for sure, and maybe that will happen soon.

Thrash13

Twitter: CThrash13

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

330. Posted:

So, I wonder, if there are four playable characters, does that mean four players will be able to play simultaneously? Or is it still only a two player game? And, I know I've said this before, but I really, really hope that we'll be able to choose who to play as, especially in one player mode.

DudeSean

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

331. Posted:

I'm fairly certain it's still a 2-player game. They've said that you'll need to have certain characters to get certain secrets in some levels, so having four players would probably defeat the purpose of that.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

Thrash13

332. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

So, I wonder, if there are four playable characters, does that mean four players will be able to play simultaneously? Or is it still only a two player game? And, I know I've said this before, but I really, really hope that we'll be able to choose who to play as, especially in one player mode.

I'm almost positive I remember them saying DK has to be the one in single player and one of the two in two player. I could be wrong, but I thought it was confirmed earlier. Maybe the delay allowed them to alter that. I'll try to research it and make sure I'm not crazy.

Thrash13

Twitter: CThrash13

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

333. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

I'm fairly certain it's still a 2-player game. They've said that you'll need to have certain characters to get certain secrets in some levels, so having four players would probably defeat the purpose of that.

I don't see how having four players would defeat the purpose of that. It would just mean that if you have four players then you would be able to find all the secrets in one playthrough, whereas with only 1 or 2 players then you might have to replay the level to find everything.

Thrash13 wrote:

I'm almost positive I remember them saying DK has to be the one in single player and one of the two in two player. I could be wrong, but I thought it was confirmed earlier. Maybe the delay allowed them to alter that. I'll try to research it and make sure I'm not crazy.

If that's true, then I am very disappointed. Almost to the point to where I don't even want to buy the game, but I know it's not like my lack of a purchase is going to put much of a dent in sales (then again, as low as the Wii U numbers are, maybe it would). What's the point of even having any characters others than DK if you can't play as them in one player mode? They do have different attributes, but if you're only playing as DK then you're only going to get one part of those different attributes. Rare was able to pull it off in the SNES days. Why is it impossible for Retro Studios to do it?

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

334. Posted:

@DudeSean
Well I guess ruin isn't the right word. What I was trying to say is that if you already have 4 characters, it would make those bonuses really easy and simple to get. You wouldn't have to strategically plan which partner you brought along to access it.

As far as only being able to play as DK, I'm totally fine with it. They did a fine job with it in Returns. Did DK and Diddy play differently in the original Donkey Kong Country? Barely, and it's nothing that will stop me personally from buying the game.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

335. Posted:

Let me put it this way, if you were given a choice to be able to play as Diddy or Dixie in 1-player mode or not be able to, which would you choose?

DudeSean

AuthorMessage

CapnPancakes

336. Posted:

I see where people are coming from, it just doesn't bother me. Donkey Kong Country Returns is not only my favorite game in the series, but one of my favorite games of all time. Not being able to play as one of the other Kongs in singleplayer wasn't a huge deal to me since I enjoyed the game so much overall. I know many other people don't share my sentiments though.

The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

337. Posted:

It'd be cool but as long as Retro is pwning other level designers in their sleep, I'm not gonna lose any over it. :p

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

DestinyMan

338. Posted:

I'm going to be bold and state that I believe Tropical Freeze will be even better than Returns.

Miiverse
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/DestinyMan

Nintendo Network ID: DestinyMan

AuthorMessage

CM30

339. Posted:

^I don't think that's a very 'bold' thing to say, it just looks like a better game than Returns in every way. I'd be more surprised if it wasn't better than the last game.

Nintendo 3DS Community aka my website
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4189

AuthorMessage

DudeSean

340. Posted:

CapnPancakes wrote:

I see where people are coming from, it just doesn't bother me. Donkey Kong Country Returns is not only my favorite game in the series, but one of my favorite games of all time. Not being able to play as one of the other Kongs in singleplayer wasn't a huge deal to me since I enjoyed the game so much overall. I know many other people don't share my sentiments though.

I understand that it doesn't bother you and that's it's not a big deal. But, you didn't answer the question.

DudeSean