Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 261 to 280 of 1,203

DreamyViridi

SLiM wrote:

Playing Cranky Kong sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully they give him some different abilities so that gameplay changes when you play with him. Maybe using his cane as a pogo stick?

Hey, this is Donkey Kong Country, not DuckTales.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

cookiex

DestinyMan wrote:

I couldn't shake off the feeling that Cranky Kong could be playable, and unless this is a very talented Photoshop boxart, it looks too real to be false.

If it does turn out to be fake (I seriously doubt it), I would give major props to whoever made it for their mad photoshop skills.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

DudeSean

cookiex wrote:

This game has animal vikings freezing down a tropical island, and people think an old ape being able to jump around sounds too ridiculous?

Actually, it's just me. Everyone else seems to think that an old, hunchbacked ape is a great idea for a playable character. Apparently, Funky Kong is a worse idea than Cranky. And I'm the one that's being silly.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

Platypus

As long as the new character isn't Kiddy Kong, I'll be happy. I still wish they would make a new Kong to play as though, a lot of the older characters don't seem like they would fit in well.

Wii code: 3761-1403-5495-2750PSN ID: Nintendodude686
Steam Community ID; Platypus

DreamyViridi

DudeSean wrote:

cookiex wrote:

This game has animal vikings freezing down a tropical island, and people think an old ape being able to jump around sounds too ridiculous?

Actually, it's just me. Everyone else seems to think that an old, hunchbacked ape is a great idea for a playable character. Apparently, Funky Kong is a worse idea than Cranky. And I'm the one that's being silly.

Well, to be honest; the unnecessary rant you gave earlier didn't do you any favours. Likewise, Funky gave off a terrible first impression in Mario Kart Wii, which is why I couldn't care less about the concept of him being playable. With that said, if he did; I would've accepted it and gave him a chance. As should you with Cranky. Also, don't try to demean Cranky with the 'old, hunchbacked ape' wordplay when other characters include 'a hat and vest wearing chimp' and an 'ape who wears a tie'.

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

ThePirateCaptain

To be fair, Cranky would probably be riding on DK's back anyway, so it's not like he would be putting himself through strenuous activities that could endanger the health of an old ape.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

DudeSean

DreamyViridi wrote:

Well, to be honest; the unnecessary rant you gave earlier didn't do you any favours. Likewise, Funky gave off a terrible first impression in Mario Kart Wii, which is why I couldn't care less about the concept of him being playable. With that said, if he did; I would've accepted it and gave him a chance. As should you with Cranky. Also, don't try to demean Cranky with the 'old, hunchbacked ape' wordplay when other characters include 'a hat and vest wearing chimp' and an 'ape who wears a tie'.

I don't speak my mind in order to get people to like me. If I speak my mind and others don't agree with it, then so be it. I'm just saying my opinion, which is all anyone here is doing. If others are doing in order to win the favors of others, then that's sad, in my opinion.

Funky Kong's first game was DKC1 on the SNES, so I'm not sure how you got your first impression of Funky from Mario Kart Wii. And what was so bad about his appearance in Mario Kart Wii? He was just another character, as far as I've ever been concerned.

The description I gave of Cranky is accurate. He is an old, hunchbacked ape. And your argument about calling Diddy "a hat and vest wearing chip" and calling DK "an ape who wears a tie," well, at least those descriptions sound cooler than "old, hunchbacked ape," right? All accurate descriptions, it's up to the reader to determine whether it sounds good or not. When I read "Cranky as a playable character" it translates in my head as "Old hunchbacked ape as a playable character." That's my perspective on the matter. You guys have a different perspective and that's fine with me. I'm not attacking you guys for having your opinions. I'm simply defending the right to have my own.

CapnPancakes wrote:

To be fair, Cranky would probably be riding on DK's back anyway, so it's not like he would be putting himself through strenuous activities that could endanger the health of an old ape.

1. What about in two player mode? Would Cranky just not be playable then?
2. What benefit would DK have to having an old... I mean, having Cranky Kong on his back? Would he nag the characters to death?

DudeSean

ThePirateCaptain

@DudeSean
1. That's where you have to stop trying to take the game seriously and look at it for what it is, a game. I prefer my games to be unrealistic because it allows me to experience things that don't make sense and would never happen in reality. In this case, it's an old hunchbacked ape swinging on vines to take back his home from an army of animal vikings.

2. I honestly don't know what Cranky Kong's special ability would be, but obviously if this is real he'll have some use. Maybe he'll act like Squawks did in DKCR and find hidden items for you or something.

ThePirateCaptain

DudeSean

I understand that it's just a game, but people still want their games to have some sort of realism. For example, people aren't happy if the gravity is too much or too little, or if small, weak looking enemies take a lot of hits to kill. Even though it is a fantasy world, people do have some realistic expectations. And you guys can make fun of me all you want for saying that having Cranky running, jumping, bouncing and blasting through levels is ridiculous in a fantasy game, but that's how I feel and you guys making fun of me for it isn't going to change my opinion.

DudeSean

ThePirateCaptain

@DudeSean
I'm not trying to make fun of you, I just think it's somewhat of a nitpick to complain about it. Nevertheless, this hasn't even been confirmed yet, so maybe Cranky won't even be playable.

ThePirateCaptain

LzWinky

DudeSean wrote:

I understand that it's just a game, but people still want their games to have some sort of realism. For example, people aren't happy if the gravity is too much or too little, or if small, weak looking enemies take a lot of hits to kill. Even though it is a fantasy world, people do have some realistic expectations. And you guys can make fun of me all you want for saying that having Cranky running, jumping, bouncing and blasting through levels is ridiculous in a fantasy game, but that's how I feel and you guys making fun of me for it isn't going to change my opinion.

No we don't...

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

DudeSean

@CapnPancakes No, you haven't been making fun and I respect that.

@DarkwingLz Did you ignore my examples? I'm not saying people don't want want intelligent apes and monkeys in their fantasy games, but the mere physics still have to make some sort of logical sense, and that logical sense of how physics should work is based on real life. People want stories in their games that explain why the character's have motivation for doing what they're doing. DK and friends want their island back, or their bananas. That's a realistic feeling, wanting something back which was taken from them. If you disagree with me about Cranky, then that's fine, but it seems a bit absurd to deny the fact that people at least want some realism in their games.

Edited on by DudeSean

DudeSean

DreamyViridi

@DudeSean - For the record, I'm not making fun of you either for your reasoning, because that would make me the kind of person I somewhat despise. I must say though, that asking for realism in a game universe like this... does seem a bit odd.

Maybe this is just a case of judging a book by its cover, but like @CapnPancakes said; Cranky being playable hasn't been officially revealed. His appearance on the box art doesn't necessarily mean playable but does highlight his importance in the game. For all we know, the 4th character may still be a secret with Cranky being on the cover acting as a "scapegoat".

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Mario Maker Levels

DudeSean

@DreamyViridi Nope. You weren't making fun, either. I feel like you guys aren't understanding what I meant when I said people want realism in games. I'm not saying people want games to be 100% realistic. I understand that most gamers don't want that, and gamers that do want that are people that play war games or simulation games. Well, I've already explained what I mean about realism in games enough times that if you guys don't get it or don't agree, then so be it.

I've never said that Cranky is confirmed to be playable, I was simply stated my reaction to the possibility of Cranky being a playable character. Whether he is or is not is irrelevant, as my comments were directed towards the possibility of him being a playable character.

DudeSean

Nathan_Wv10

Can't we just pretend Cranky is like Yoda and very old and rail but can jump around like a ninja when he needs too

Nathan_Wv10

Twitter:

CThrash13

We'll just have to wait and see if this is even legit first before making too many assumptions. I'm sure we'll get a trailer similar to the Dixie one a month or two ago whenever they are ready to officially announce the fourth playable character. That cover does look legit, but that doesn't mean it is. Heck, we had two websites list Luigi's Mansion for Wii U not too long ago, and that apparently wasn't too legit. I'm ready to see a confirmation on the fourth playable character for sure, and maybe that will happen soon.

CThrash13

Twitter:

DudeSean

So, I wonder, if there are four playable characters, does that mean four players will be able to play simultaneously? Or is it still only a two player game? And, I know I've said this before, but I really, really hope that we'll be able to choose who to play as, especially in one player mode.

DudeSean

ThePirateCaptain

I'm fairly certain it's still a 2-player game. They've said that you'll need to have certain characters to get certain secrets in some levels, so having four players would probably defeat the purpose of that.

ThePirateCaptain

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.