Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,181 to 1,200 of 1,203

Blast

This game can be pretty brutal at times. I've raged so many times.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

MasterWario

@MrMeow13 @Octane: Returns has a benefit in which it is longer. But other than that, yeah, TF is probably better. I have a special place in my heart for Returns but maybe it would have been the same thing for TF if it was first. The atmosphere in Returns wow'd me and felt really classic. The biggest issue with Returns that TF fixes though is probably the motion controls; you might not be able to go back to Returns after playing TF for that reason.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

MrMeowPuss

@MasterWario: that's why I was considering getting it before I played TF. I know it would be like going from Pokemon OR to Platinum. I may look for it second hand so I can play it before Tropical Freeze

Nintendo Network ID: MrMeowPuss Friend Code: SW-7290-1987-5404

Nintendo Network ID: MrMeowPuss | Twitter:

Octane

@MasterWario: I'm not able to compare the total playtime of both games, but the levels in Tropical Freeze felt longer than Returns, there were less levels, but they felt longer. I don't know if that is true, but I didn't notice much of a difference in total playtime.

Octane

VanillaLake

@Octane: Same here! Besides, Tropical Freeze is a much better game overall. Tropical Freeze is nicer, it has a better soundtrack, better visuals, better art, better enemies...

I really don't like the navigation bar of Nintendo Life continuously reappearing while browsing!!

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0258-0952 | Nintendo Network ID: NNID-Fer

Mirror-Image

I have only recently started playing Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and I'm really digging it's art style, general atmosphere, the different challenges, the general playability, fun factor, etc. I also love the fact that you can swim in Tropical Freeze unlike Returns, which I thought was a major flaw in that game. I mean every Donkey Kong game from the original series on SNES up to Donkey Kong 64, you could swim, but all of sudden in Returns you can't? If I have one complaint, and bear in mind it's very minor, is that sometimes it feels like they stole a few ideas from Rayman Origins, but I suppose it's difficult to make a 2D platformer that doesn't emulate another game at some point.

I'm quite impressed with this game and I know it's a bit of stretch to wish this since the Wii U will no doubt be in decline after the new The Legend Of Zelda, but I do hope they make another installment of this series for the Wii U.

Edited on by Mirror-Image

Mirror-Image

MasterWario

@Mirror-Image: Huh. I played through the entirety of Origins and never got that vibe...maybe it was because It'd been too long since I played Origins when I started TF, or maybe its because the characters control way differently to me. Both great games regardless, although I found it impossible to go back to Origins after playing Legends.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My Pushmo Levels

Mirror-Image

MasterWario wrote:

@Mirror-Image: Huh. I played through the entirety of Origins and never got that vibe...maybe it was because It'd been too long since I played Origins when I started TF, or maybe its because the characters control way differently to me. Both great games regardless, although I found it impossible to go back to Origins after playing Legends.

Like I stated earlier, my complaint is minor.

Mirror-Image

DefHalan

So I started playing this again recently and I have an issue with running/attacking. Movement seems to not be very consistent and I get into these issues where I try to start to run, attack instead which then leads me right into a death trap. I understand this is supposed to be a challenging and difficult game but I didn't have these issues as much with the older games. It just drives me crazy when sometimes when I stop moving and press the attack button I roll off an edge, and sometimes I ground pound. Then when I hold run and try to jump forward, sometimes I barely move forward at all, and sometimes I leap huge distances. Maybe I am just out of practice or something.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

StarFalco

Loving this game. Sure is hard though. Brings back memories of Donkey Kong Country. That was a great Christmas morning.

Edited on by StarFalco

All In The Reflexes

Switch Friend Code: SW-1852-3950-9117 | My Nintendo: StarFalco | Nintendo Network ID: StarFalco | Twitter:

Sticker

Nice to see this thread is resurrected. The DK franchise doesn't usually gets new games in a while.

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

MasterWario

@Sticker: well with Retro doing two back-to-back, I don't think we'll be seeing another one for a while. Of course I don't have a problem with that; Returns and TF are pretty darn fantastic and kind of push the games to their limits (other than a few nagging complaints).

My Pushmo Levels

Ralizah

So... I finally started playing Tropical Freeze on my Wii U, and... it's fun!

I never played Returns on the Wii (nabbed the 3DS version instead), but I don't understand the complaints about the control scheme, based purely on my experience with this game. I'm playing with Wiimote and nunchuk instead of my Pro Controller, and I find it surprisingly comfortable. Shaking the remote to roll and ground pound feels very natural to me.

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Octane

@Ralizah Finally! You've been missing out

Never played it with Wiimote + Nunchuck before, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the waggle controls in Returns. It had this weird blow mechanic where you had to shake the Wiimote to blow on some dandelions. Anyway, I played TF on the GamePad, X or Y was roll I believe, maybe both. Controls were fine by me as well, I never knew there were complaints until recently.

Octane

Ralizah

@Octane I really dig Cranky Kong as a partner. His Scrooge McDuck-esque pogo stick mechanic is pretty fun to play around with.

I'm trying to nab as many puzzle pieces as I can, but my plan for an initial playthrough is just to get all of the KONG pieces and unlock and play through all of the levels. As far as I am aware, each world has two hidden levels: one accessed by a secret exit, and one unlocked by getting all of the KONG pieces in other levels, yes?

Edited on by Ralizah

Octane

@Ralizah I think all of them have two secret levels and a KONG level. Sometimes you need to find two secret exits to unlock both, sometimes they're both locked behind the same secret exit (so you need to beat the first secret level to unlock the second one). I think you can figure it out by looking at the world map alone, I think it's pretty obvious to see how they connect.

And yes, the collecting all the KONG letters unlocks the KONG level.

Collecting all the puzzle pieces is a lot more difficult, especially since all the KONG levels also have a bunch of puzzle pieces. I believe they unlock artwork and 3D panoramas. Neat extras, but you're not missing any levels or anything like that by not collecting them.

And yeah, Cranky is pretty cool, but limited in use I think. Dixie is OP, that's the one I always pick, hah!

Octane

TheCurator

After about 4 years I decided to go ahead and buy DK Tropical Freeze. Oh my Lord, how challenging it is! I never played in my life any of the previous ones and this one gives me a hard time to collect all KONG letters and puzzle pieces. Especially in that Bopopolis secret level I must've died over 100 times until I finally beat it. But how wonderfully crafted are all the environments makes me wonder how did I pass by such a gaming series.

Wii U Owner!
Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 14-Inch HD Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB DDR3 248GB SSD OS Windows 10 Pro

TheCurator

@Ralizah Wait until Bopopolis level. You'll come to the realization of your existence.

Wii U Owner!
Laptop Lenovo Ideapad 14-Inch HD Intel Core 2 Duo 8GB DDR3 248GB SSD OS Windows 10 Pro

Ralizah

@TheCurator Completed every level in the game, with the exception of the last two levels in the unlockable final world (haven't tried them yet; just got side-tracked by other games). Anyway, Bopopolis was... not that bad! It has a rhythm to it that you just can't break.

K-4. Spinning Spines, was a pretty brutal level, though. I died 50 times or so before I beat it by the skin of my teeth.

Tyranexx

I recall being incredibly frustrated with Bopopolis initially, then once I got the rhythm down it became incredibly easy! It was a level I went back and used to accrue balloons. XD

FWIW, I never fully beat the special levels in the unlockable world either.

Currently playing: Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.