Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,161 to 1,180 of 1,203

UGXwolf

Mahemoth wrote:

Why am I so bad at figuring out how to get the extra stages? Tried to find some hidden paths or something, didn't work out booohooo ;(

Some of them are really well hidden and others are just a matter of completing the world, first. Here's a basic guide on unlocking every bonus level (in spoiler tag, obviously):

1-A: Needs Dixie. 1-2. At the end of the level just before the bouncy raft, dive into the water and holding A, Dixie will help you reach the portal.
1-B: Needs Cranky. 1-3. At the end of the level, rather than hitting the barrel, continue up to the top of the level for a portal.
1-K: Collect all KONG letters in Mangrove Cove.
2-A: 2-4. At the end of the level, there's a big jump just as you get out of the sawmill. Instead of jumping across, try to hit an owl that's sneaking at the bottom of the screen for an alternate path that leads to a portal.
2-B: 2-A. Just finish the level.
2-K: Collect all KONG letters in Autumn Heights.
3-A: Needs Cranky. 3-5. The portal will appear above the fish house. Can't miss it. You just need Cranky to reach the barrel.
3-B: Needs Dixie. 3-5. At the end of the level, instead of hitting the barrel, swim to the bottom of the little lake down there and use Dixie's ability to reach a portal on the far right.
3-K: Collect all KONG letters in Bright Savannah.
4-A: Needs Dixie. 4-1. This is a bit tricky to explain, but at some point, you'll see a giant metal object blocking a potential path with an electrical current inside the object. When you reach the end of this hallway, there will be one of those triple switches that you have to swim through and hit all three to shut off the power and progress. Instead of going forward, turn back and go to that previously mentioned giant metal object. It will have moved, now, opening a path to another water jet and a portal.
4-B: Needs Cranky. 4-A. The portal will be near the top of the screen somewhere between 2/3 of the way through and the end. The "secret" is going to be fairly obvious, so you should be able to spot it with ease.
4-K: Collect all KONG letters in Sea Breeze Cove.
5-A: Needs Cranky. 5-3. The portal will be near the top again, just like it was in 4-A. It's not hard to spot, so you should be able to get it, so long as you have Cranky.
5-B: Needs Dixie. 5-4. This one's easy to spot, but prepare to rage hardcore. The secret exit is at the bottom of a juice tub just after the KONG letter G. Getting to it isn't difficult, if you have Dixie, but considering how unforgiving this level is with its buddy barrels, the challenge is getting there with Dixie. Not finding the exit.
5-K: Collect all KONG letters in Juicy Jungle.
6-A: Needs Cranky. 6-7. This is another tough one for the same reason 5-B was tough. You need to keep Cranky through an unreasonably large portion of the level. I can't remember if the secret exit is in sight or not. Probably not, but you'll find some platforms you need Cranky to cross about 4/5 of the way through the level and thinking it's a puzzle piece, you'll likely cross them only to find a portal, instead.
6-B: 6-A. Just beat the level.
6-K: Collect all KONG letters in Donkey Kong Island.
World 7: Complete all 6 KONG Temple levels and beat the final boss to unlock three super challenging levels. Good luck!

That should help you out a lot.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Allx360

If anyone was complaining about the cutoff of stickerbrush symphony in the credits theme someone found a full version!

PK Hype!

MasterWario

When I first got this game, I listened to the soundtrack so much I practically became numb to it.

But after indulging in other music for a while and then coming back to it, only now do I truly realize how exceptional this game's soundtrack is. It's really high quality music compared to the stuff people (or at least I) hear everyday. Or perhaps I've just been away from orchestral music for too long, ha ha.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

MrMeowPuss

I don't have a Wii U but this games alone is making it hard to resist buying one. I played Donkey Kong on Super Nintendo and it was always my favorite back then so I'd love to play it again.

Nintendo Network ID: MrMeowPuss Friend Code: SW-7290-1987-5404

Nintendo Network ID: MrMeowPuss | Twitter:

Octane

@MrMeow13: And it is arguably the best Donkey Kong Country game ever.

Octane

MrMeowPuss

@Octane: from what I've seen from reviews I can already agree. It looks amazing and huge upgrade from the last DK game I played haha.

How many hours did you roughly get out of it?

Octane

@MrMeow13: Currently around 40-50 hours. Nearly completed the game, still need to get some collectables in the last world. Haven't played the game in a while, so I probably need a good day of practice before I make an attempt to collect the last puzzle pieces and KONG letters.

Octane

jariw

MrMeow13 wrote:

How many hours did you roughly get out of it?

12 to 31 hours according to howlongtobeat.com. But I have put more than 70 hours into that game, according to the playing log. The replay value is huge.

jariw

MrMeowPuss

@Octane: Wow that's a lot more hours than I expected. I may get Yoshi's Wooly World first as it is on special with the Wooly Amiibo but I'm seriously excited to give this game a try.

MrMeowPuss

@jariw: I like howlongtobeat.com but I aways find my hours of completion are much more which is why I like to ask people who have played the game

Octane

@MrMeow13: Yeah, it's a pretty long game, especially if you try to collect everything. So I expect the total playing time to be lower if you don't bother with collecting stuff. Yoshi's Woolly World is a pretty good game as well, I'm still playing that game right now, but again, mostly collecting stuff that I skipped over in my original playthrough.

Octane

MrMeowPuss

@Octane: I try to collect as much as I can but I may try collect everything tbis find around. I think having the choice of 3 companions will help with replay value, I do understand each have their own skills but I figure choosing a different one can make it more of a challenge at times.

I really hope I can buy this game and my Wii U asap!!

jariw

Octane wrote:

@MrMeow13: Yeah, it's a pretty long game, especially if you try to collect everything. So I expect the total playing time to be lower if you don't bother with collecting stuff. Yoshi's Woolly World is a pretty good game as well, I'm still playing that game right now, but again, mostly collecting stuff that I skipped over in my original playthrough.

I agree, Yoshi's Woolly World is also an excellent platformer! Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World and Super Mario 3D World are 3 different fantastic not-to-be-missed platformers, that also play very differently compared to each other. And all 3 have brilliant music. (Add a few games in other genres, like Splatoon, MK8 with the 2 DLCs, Smash U, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Runbow, Zelda Wind Waker: HD, Wonderful 101, Affordable Space Adventures, Hyrule Warriors, Art Academy: Atelier, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and you'll have a great starting lineup for a new Wii U. I'd even say Super Mario Maker is in a different category of games than professionally developed platformers.)

jariw

MrMeowPuss

jariw wrote:

Octane wrote:

I agree, Yoshi's Woolly World is also an excellent platformer! Tropical Freeze, Yoshi's Woolly World and Super Mario 3D World are 3 different fantastic not-to-be-missed platformers, that also play very differently compared to each other. And all 3 have brilliant music. (Add a few games in other genres, like Splatoon, MK8 with the 2 DLCs, Smash U, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Runbow, Zelda Wind Waker: HD, Wonderful 101, Affordable Space Adventures, Hyrule Warriors, Art Academy: Atelier, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and you'll have a great starting lineup for a new Wii U. I'd even say Super Mario Maker is in a different category of games than professionally developed platformers.)

A lot of Wii U titles seem to be really great games but are sadly underrated. I think to start out I'll be getting DK and Yoshi's Wooly World, then once I've finished them I'll be getting MK8, Super Smash Bros, Super Mario Bros Wii U, Super Mario U and Luigi U, and the upcoming titles like Star Fox Zero, Zelda Wii U and Pokken Tournament.

Is it worth going back and playing the Wii Donkey Kong game before Tropical Freeze? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo so all new games I play won't feel repetitive to me.

jariw

MrMeow13 wrote:

Is it worth going back and playing the Wii Donkey Kong game before Tropical Freeze? I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the Super Nintendo so all new games I play won't feel repetitive to me.

Tropical Freeze is better than Donkey Kong Country Returns/Wii in just about every possible way, but DKCR is still a very good game.

My recommendation would be to focus primarily on Tropical Freeze, skip DKCR unless you really just want to only play Donkey Kong games, and instead get Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 for the Wii on the Wii U eShop. (DKCR is also available on the eShop BTW.) The Mario Galaxy games have much more differences in gameplay style compared to Super Mario 3D World to merit a play through on SD graphics. However, keep in mind that the Mario Galaxy games requires Wiimote+Nunchuck.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

MrMeowPuss

jariw wrote:

MrMeow13 wrote:

Tropical Freeze is better than Donkey Kong Country Returns/Wii in just about every possible way, but DKCR is still a very good game.

My recommendation would be to focus primarily on Tropical Freeze, skip DKCR unless you really just want to only play Donkey Kong games, and instead get Super Mario Galaxy 1+2 for the Wii on the Wii U eShop. (DKCR is also available on the eShop BTW.) The Mario Galaxy games have much more differences in gameplay style compared to Super Mario 3D World to merit a play through on SD graphics. However, keep in mind that the Mario Galaxy games requires Wiimote+Nunchuck.

Isn't DKCR a remake of an older game?

I probably will focus on Tropical Freeze then, just wanted to know if was worth playing DKCR first since it may seem too much of a downgrade going back to play DKCR after Tropical Freeze.

I don't have anyone to play Wii U with locally so I don't think I'll get a second controller which means Super Mario Galaxy will be a no go for me.

jariw

MrMeow13 wrote:

No, it was the fresh start of the DKC franchise.

MrMeow13 wrote:

I don't have anyone to play Wii U with locally so I don't think I'll get a second controller which means Super Mario Galaxy will be a no go for me.

DKCR is also a no go, unless you get a Wiimote. For Wii games, you usually need at least a Wiimote. Some Wii downloadable games on the eShop can be played with the Gamepad, but those titles are rare.

jariw

MrMeowPuss

jariw wrote:

MrMeow13 wrote:

No, it was the fresh start of the DKC franchise.

MrMeow13 wrote:

DKCR is also a no go, unless you get a Wiimote. For Wii games, you usually need at least a Wiimote. Some Wii downloadable games on the eShop can be played with the Gamepad, but those titles are rare.

I think I can borrow a Wiimote from a friend but they definitely don't have a Nunchuck. Did you play Pokepark 2 and does that need anything besides the Wiimote?

Octane

I agree with jariw. DKCTF is better then DKCR in almost every way, not that Returns is a bad game, but Tropical Freeze improves on almost every game mechanic found in Returns. So if you really want to play more DKC, you might want to try Returns, but otherwise, just play Tropical Freeze.

Octane

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

Mahemoth wrote:

Why am I so bad at figuring out how to get the extra stages? Tried to find some hidden paths or something, didn't work out booohooo ;(

Some of them are really well hidden and others are just a matter of completing the world, first. Here's a basic guide on unlocking every bonus level (in spoiler tag, obviously):

1-A: Needs Dixie. 1-2. At the end of the level just before the bouncy raft, dive into the water and holding A, Dixie will help you reach the portal.
1-B: Needs Cranky. 1-3. At the end of the level, rather than hitting the barrel, continue up to the top of the level for a portal.
1-K: Collect all KONG letters in Mangrove Cove.
2-A: 2-4. At the end of the level, there's a big jump just as you get out of the sawmill. Instead of jumping across, try to hit an owl that's sneaking at the bottom of the screen for an alternate path that leads to a portal.
2-B: 2-A. Just finish the level.
2-K: Collect all KONG letters in Autumn Heights.
3-A: Needs Cranky. 3-5. The portal will appear above the fish house. Can't miss it. You just need Cranky to reach the barrel.
3-B: Needs Dixie. 3-5. At the end of the level, instead of hitting the barrel, swim to the bottom of the little lake down there and use Dixie's ability to reach a portal on the far right.
3-K: Collect all KONG letters in Bright Savannah.
4-A: Needs Dixie. 4-1. This is a bit tricky to explain, but at some point, you'll see a giant metal object blocking a potential path with an electrical current inside the object. When you reach the end of this hallway, there will be one of those triple switches that you have to swim through and hit all three to shut off the power and progress. Instead of going forward, turn back and go to that previously mentioned giant metal object. It will have moved, now, opening a path to another water jet and a portal.
4-B: Needs Cranky. 4-A. The portal will be near the top of the screen somewhere between 2/3 of the way through and the end. The "secret" is going to be fairly obvious, so you should be able to spot it with ease.
4-K: Collect all KONG letters in Sea Breeze Cove.
5-A: Needs Cranky. 5-3. The portal will be near the top again, just like it was in 4-A. It's not hard to spot, so you should be able to get it, so long as you have Cranky.
5-B: Needs Dixie. 5-4. This one's easy to spot, but prepare to rage hardcore. The secret exit is at the bottom of a juice tub just after the KONG letter G. Getting to it isn't difficult, if you have Dixie, but considering how unforgiving this level is with its buddy barrels, the challenge is getting there with Dixie. Not finding the exit.
5-K: Collect all KONG letters in Juicy Jungle.
6-A: Needs Cranky. 6-7. This is another tough one for the same reason 5-B was tough. You need to keep Cranky through an unreasonably large portion of the level. I can't remember if the secret exit is in sight or not. Probably not, but you'll find some platforms you need Cranky to cross about 4/5 of the way through the level and thinking it's a puzzle piece, you'll likely cross them only to find a portal, instead.
6-B: 6-A. Just beat the level.
6-K: Collect all KONG letters in Donkey Kong Island.
World 7: Complete all 6 KONG Temple levels and beat the final boss to unlock three super challenging levels. Good luck!

That should help you out a lot.

Thanks!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.