Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 1,203

Philip_J_Reed

I'm replaying this now! It's such a wonderful game. Much better than Returns, which I also thought was great. I remember at first thinking it was a bit short, but I keep going back to it, so I think it was just the perfect length. Long enough to let you fall in love, not so long that you get bored of it by the time you're done.

Might be my favorite WiiU game. (Don't tell Pikmin 3 you heard me say that.)

Philip_J_Reed

Twitter:

UGXwolf

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

I'm replaying this now! It's such a wonderful game. Much better than Returns, which I also thought was great. I remember at first thinking it was a bit short, but I keep going back to it, so I think it was just the perfect length. Long enough to let you fall in love, not so long that you get bored of it by the time you're done.

Huh. That kinda sounds a bit like Super Meat Boy to me. It's a game I feel no shame in revisiting because it's just long enough to make me want to come back without being so long that I feel like it's too much of an investment. Also helps that levels are SUPER short making exit points extremely abundant, but God help you, if you take on The Kid's levels!

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Blast

UGXwolf wrote:

It really is a blast. ^^ Can't think of any 2D Platformer that comes anywhere near it in just how amazing it is. The difficulty is perfect. The sound design is perfect. The graphics are perfect. The controls are super tight, but not the least bit restrictive, and when you get hit, it almost never feels like the game's fault. DKCR and Tropical Freeze make up the ultimate argument for nut-crackingly hard and deliciously difficult.

Agreed. Really fun so far!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

ricklongo

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Probably my favorite Wii U game too. So far I've done a 200% run, and then a 100% run six or so months later. Come to think of it, it might just be time for a third playthrough.

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

unrandomsam

UGXwolf wrote:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Huh. That kinda sounds a bit like Super Meat Boy to me. It's a game I feel no shame in revisiting because it's just long enough to make me want to come back without being so long that I feel like it's too much of an investment. Also helps that levels are SUPER short making exit points extremely abundant, but God help you, if you take on The Kid's levels!

Unlocking the Kid is what stops me bothering with another playthrough.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

UGXwolf

unrandomsam wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Philip_J_Reed wrote:

Unlocking the Kid is what stops me bothering with another playthrough.

Edmund did a great job of making those three levels feel like I Wanna Be the Guy. Too great of a job. XD

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

bluemage1989

I love this game and its perfect for playing for a couple of hours a week but once I have done everything it has to offer I can't imagine coming back to this for a long time. Don't get me wrong I love it but I'm just not into second playthroughs so we will probably be playing the NX by the time it comes round time to replaying this. I think the audio work definitely deserves some praise they nailed that perfectly.

bluemage1989

ThePirateCaptain

David Wise really created another masterpiece of a soundtrack for Tropical Freeze. Definitely my favorite OST in years.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

ricklongo

NintyMan wrote:

ThePirateCaptain wrote:

David Wise really created another masterpiece of a soundtrack for Tropical Freeze. Definitely my favorite OST in years.

He said on Twitter that Seashore War is his favorite track of all time.

Well, it's probably in the top 10, but come on, David. You're the guy who wrote "Forest Interlude", "Stickerbrush Symphony", "Aquatic Ambience" and "In a Snow-Bound Land"!

And if we're talking just Tropical Freeze, "Scorch 'N' Torch" and "Grassland Groove" are both higher in my list.

Edited on by ricklongo

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

ThePirateCaptain

NintyMan wrote:

ThePirateCaptain wrote:

It's up there with some of his best for me. My favorite track is Funky Waters, but there are so many other great songs that I could mention. To me, David Wise has always struck the perfect balance between atmosphere and catchiness with his music. They fit the environment perfectly while still being memorable enough to stand on their own.

ThePirateCaptain

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

mystman12

NintyMan wrote:

ThePirateCaptain wrote:

Seashore War is definitely one of my most favorite songs as well, though I like Sawmill Thrill, Stickerbush Symphony, Krook's March, and Mining Melancholy more. I can definitely see how it's his personal favorite though. Not only does it fit the atmosphere of the level really well and have an excellent melody, it probably also has more emotion in it than any of his other songs. It's absolutely perfect for the scenario, like you finally made it back home, but it's been taken over by snowmads, but you're going to make sure you're triumphant in reclaiming th island.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

Blast

Ohmygawd... Twilight Terror sounds amazing!!!

Master of the Hype Train

Octane

Can't we just agree that every single track in this game is a masterpiece?

Octane

dumedum

It is true how much emotion this game has. It's like Nintendo doesn't need to tell much of a story for you to imagine a story and be immersed through gameplay, these gorgeous graphics and soothing music.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Blast

dumedum wrote:

It is true how much emotion this game has. It's like Nintendo doesn't need to tell much of a story for you to imagine a story and be immersed through gameplay, these gorgeous graphics and soothing music.

Agreed. This is an incredible game.

Master of the Hype Train

Deanosaurrrrrr

dumedum wrote:

That's so true. A game has never made me want to bop a walrus Viking leader on the head so badly.

Deanosaurrrrrr

Twitter:

yokokazuo

Deanosaurr wrote:

dumedum wrote:

That's so true. A game has never made me want to bop a walrus Viking leader on the head so badly.

Well, it's not every game that you fight a walrus Viking leader.

Also this is definitely one of my favourite Wii U games, one of my favourite levels was the Lion King-like one.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

Yoshi

Oh, Bopopolis. It was that stage that I went in with 50 Banana Coins and came out with 700+.

Formally called brewsky before becoming the lovable, adorable Yoshi.
Now playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) | The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch) | Celeste (Switch)

Nintendo Network ID: brewsky93

Octane

Bopopolis is relatively easy once you get the hang of it. I still haven't beat Platform Problems though...

Edited on by Octane

Octane

JoyBoy

Why am I so bad at figuring out how to get the extra stages? Tried to find some hidden paths or something, didn't work out booohooo ;(

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.