Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,121 to 1,140 of 1,203

jariw

L-ouie wrote:

The problem with Tropical Freeze has nothing to do with gameplay, IP, or difficulty, is the fact that it doesn't offer anything new to the series and the game doesn't define the Wii U except that it's HD. Unlike Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, it's a game that is difficult for Nintendo to deliver a satisfying 30 minute length Nintendo Direct solely focusing on Tropical Freeze.

IMO, it does add many new things to the series, and it would be possible to do a great 30 minute Direct of Tropical Freeze (characters and their skills, gameplay mechanics, 2.5D levels, time trials and their viewing modes, Funky's shop system, unlockable courses, art design, music, and so on). However, Nintendo split up that pre-info on that game into many smaller videos instead and the game moves are explained in-game during the first levels. And some things I appreciate that they didn't reveal in a pre-info video, since it would spoil some of the fun of discovery.

But I agree with you that it doesn't define the Wii U. It's probably the Nintendo Wii U game that would be easiest to do cross-platform without any loss of gameplay experience.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

rallydefault

L-ouie wrote:

The problem with Tropical Freeze has nothing to do with gameplay, IP, or difficulty, is the fact that it doesn't offer anything new to the series and the game doesn't define the Wii U except that it's HD. Unlike Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, it's a game that is difficult for Nintendo to deliver a satisfying 30 minute length Nintendo Direct solely focusing on Tropical Freeze.

It definitely doesn't "define" the Wii U, but why was it supposed to? That seems to be a fan-created notion if anything at all. Heck, Pikmin 3 should have defined the Wii U. NSMBU should have defined the Wii U. Super Mario 3D World should have defined the Wii U...

Look, times have changed. Yes, the Wii sold like gangbusters because it hit a certain bubble at exactly the right time, but the "gaming" community has largely changed, even since then. People who grew up on the Nintendo/Genesis/Atari like me barely have time to play games any more, and we probably account for a very small portion of the market. The biggest slice of the pie falls to the middle-school through college-age, and let's face it: they didn't grow up on Nintendo, and the vast majority of them relate gaming more with Gears and CoD than DigDug and Kid Icarus.

Good games are good games, and Tropical Freeze is a darn good game. You're never going to win all portions of the market, and Nintendo has managed to sell respectable numbers of consoles (N64 and Gamecube) while not "winning" generations before.

rallydefault

Kendallcooper

I just finished the game and I have mixed feelings about it. No doubt it's a good game that looks beautiful but something was missing for me. I'm not sure what it was but it just didn't have the same feel as it did when I first played the original donkey kong country. Maybe I'm just getting old...

Nintendo ID: kendallcooper

Romeo

so.. i pre ordered the game, but only recently have i started playing it
i should be about 1hour away from finishing it

its fantastic, i'm really enjoying it.

what i dont understand is.. how can someone actually think that this game is difficult or even too difficult?
i remember some reviewers saying that it's too much of a challenge.. or some users on other fansites etc.

i mean cmon.. how amazingly bad do you have to be to find this game hard? its because of people like you that 95% of the games nowadays can be beat by braindead monkeys

so what if you have to play a certain level 2-3 times to finally beat it? go cry me a river
so stupid..

that being said.. great game!

Edited on by Romeo

Romeo

Octane

Romeo wrote:

so.. i pre ordered the game, but only recently have i started playing it
i should be about 1hour away from finishing it

its fantastic, i'm really enjoying it.

what i dont understand is.. how can someone actually think that this game is difficult or even too difficult?
i remember some reviewers saying that it's too much of a challenge.. or some users on other fansites etc.

i mean cmon.. how amazingly bad do you have to be to find this game hard? its because of people like you that 95% of the games nowadays can be beat by braindead monkeys

so what if you have to play a certain level 2-3 times to finally beat it? go cry me a river
so stupid..

that being said.. great game!

Bopopolis.

That's really all I have to say.

There's a difference in beating a game, and completing a game. Beating Donkey Kong Country isn't that difficult. Getting all the KONG letters, finding all the puzzle pieces, and completing the secret levels, and the secret world. That is where the challenge is. I would say the game is equal to the original DK Country in terms of difficulty. They certainly haven't made this one easier.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Ryno

If I beat the "final boss" in world 6 can I go back and play the K levels or will it not let me go back? I have beat the first K level but Bopopolis seems like it is going to take a while.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Jazzer94

Ryno wrote:

If I beat the "final boss" in world 6 can I go back and play the K levels or will it not let me go back? I have beat the first K level but Bopopolis seems like it is going to take a while.

Yes you can go back.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Octane

Ryno wrote:

I don't see why it wouldn't let you go back..

Also, timing and memory are your friends in Bopopolis.

Octane

LucinaSmash

I had qualms with this game's existence, not anymore thanks to Mad Catz HD Component Cable. Unlike the HDMI cable that came with the system, I can finally see the game's (and other Wii U titles) graphical beauty. The colors are more eye popping and DK is more detail.

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

Ryno

LucinaSmash wrote:

I had qualms with this game's existence, not anymore thanks to Mad Catz HD Component Cable. Unlike the HDMI cable that came with the system, I can finally see the game's (and other Wii U titles) graphical beauty. The colors are more eye popping and DK is more detail.

You changed from HDMI to Component and it looks better?
Untitled

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

LucinaSmash

Ryno wrote:

LucinaSmash wrote:

You changed from HDMI to Component and it looks better?

I was shock about that too. I did test the two many times and the component cable I'm using offers a brighter HD experience. I'm not sure if that's because my HDTV prefers component cable in 1080p

Edited on by LucinaSmash

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

CanisWolfred

Finally got this, but it's a Christmas present, so it'll be a while. In the meantime, I'm gonna try to play through the first trilogy to get up to speed.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

rallydefault

It's a fun, really charming and challenging platformer. It's one of those games that I'll still boot up for years, slowly working toward 100% in between newer games.

rallydefault

jariw

If you're in the US and is a fan of Tropical Freeze, you might want to check out the really special prizes available for the Nintendo Minute GOTY Showdown this week. Skip to around 10:25.

jariw

Gamecubed

I can get this on Boxing Day for $45. Should I go for it? (It's $55 at regular price here in Canada)

Edited on by Gamecubed

Gamecubed

Ryno

NintyMan wrote:

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze was originally going to have an achievement system, as discovered in a strings file labelled "miiverse". These achievements were going to be shared on Miiverse similar to what Hyrule Warriors does. The achievements range from defeating bosses, collecting puzzles pieces, KONG letters, and more.

I'm glad it didn't. I disabled that junk on Hyrule Warriors.

What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

OorWullie

I'm a bit late to the party but man what a game.I'm only on the boss of World 2 but I'm probably having my most fun moments on my Wii U so far.Level 2-3 Horn Top Hop really is something special,the part with the 3 owls blowing the horns in harmony with the incredible music was just magical for me.I know it's only going to get better too.Right back to it

Edited on by OorWullie

đŸ‡Ŧ🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹ī¸ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹ī¸

Blast

I got this game recently for my birthday. I love the music and gameplay!!! Alotta fun!

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

UGXwolf

It really is a blast. ^^ Can't think of any 2D Platformer that comes anywhere near it in just how amazing it is. The difficulty is perfect. The sound design is perfect. The graphics are perfect. The controls are super tight, but not the least bit restrictive, and when you get hit, it almost never feels like the game's fault. DKCR and Tropical Freeze make up the ultimate argument for nut-crackingly hard and deliciously difficult.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.