Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,101 to 1,120 of 1,203

mystman12

I know! I've always loved DKC music. My top 3 tracks would probably be...
Sawmill Thrill (Pretty much only for the waster section. I love that part!)

Seashore War
And Hightide Ride.
Homecoming Hijinx and Windmill Hills would be 4 and 5.

I like makin' games!
Future Pinball games!
Petit Computer games!!
and SmileBASIC games!
Waiting for Kirby Air Ride 2. One day, it will come. One day...

3DS Friend Code: 0259-0292-5888 | Nintendo Network ID: mystman12 | Twitter:

dkxcalibur

I'm at 5-3, with all KONG letters, puzzle pieces, and K-levels completed up to this point. I thought that 5-1 Harvest Hazards was the most difficult to find the items and complete the level. Probably my least favorite world to play was Sea Breeze Cove but it had beautiful characters and levels. So far I found the levels to be very unique and fun to play. One that stands out to me is Frantic Fields near the end of the level. My favorite music is found on Autumn Heights.

I've been reading the other post and I can't help but smile. It seems that while one person thought Fugu was the toughest boss, others found him easy and Ba-Boom to be hard. Some found the K-levels tough while others found the Secrete Seclusion levels to be more of a challenge. Basically what I'm getting at is the fact that everyone seems to be having completely different experiences with this game....more then the typical video game. I think that points out how well designed this game is as there is something for everyone.

dkxcalibur

Switch Friend Code: SW-5151-3792-5816 | 3DS Friend Code: 5043-3314-9733 | My Nintendo: dkxcalibur | Nintendo Network ID: dkxcalibur

sevex

I'm loving this game but MAN I wish they hadn't added an air timer to the underwater levels. That really contradicts the relaxed feel they had in the original Donkey Kong Country games.

sevex

UGXwolf

sevex wrote:

I'm loving this game but MAN I wish they hadn't added an air timer to the underwater levels. That really contradicts the relaxed feel they had in the original Donkey Kong Country games.

I didn't seem to have much trouble with this. I think the only time the water meter really became a problem was World 4-B, and that's a secret off of a secret. Having it be really tough to survive just makes sense. It was a level with a different feel than the rest, and I personally applaud it for trying.

Besides, people are under this false impression that this game is supposed to try to be DKC brought to a new console. It's really not. It's Retro's own project, and the only things they seem to want to connect them to the original series are the basic idea and the music. If this weren't the case, they would just use the Kremlings, instead of their own creations each time.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Mine01

I finished it a couple of weeks ago, beat a couple of levels on hard and never played it again, tough i loved it.

I guess ill start a new file in a couple of months or during summer drought.

Mine01

3DS Friend Code: 5000-3484-9808 | Nintendo Network ID: soakedmine

dkxcalibur

I finally got to Donkey Kong island. I actually felt bad for beating Bashmaster, the Unbreakable....I mean, all he was trying to do was enjoy his Popsicle!

dkxcalibur

Switch Friend Code: SW-5151-3792-5816 | 3DS Friend Code: 5043-3314-9733 | My Nintendo: dkxcalibur | Nintendo Network ID: dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur

DestinyMan wrote:

Who's your favorite boss? Mine is Skowl. He's surprisingly tough for the boss of World 2.
Untitled

He's my favorite as well. I like how he looks (antlered helmet), I like his opening (Whooooo), and also thought he was surprisingly tough for a world 2 boss.

dkxcalibur

UGXwolf

So, I just recently beat World 7 on Hard Mode. Was pretty proud of myself until I realized... The real trick is goung to be beating World 6 with all KONG letters in tow.

UGXwolf

DestinyMan wrote:

I think Hard Mode in World 4 would be just swell. Swimming levels with just one-hit health? And what about when fighting Fugu?

I honestly didn't have any trouble whatsoever with the underwater controls OR when fighting Fugu. I found both of these to be rather easy to handle, though Irate Eight will be quite a challenge in Hard Mode. As will the second bonus level.

dkxcalibur

Wow, I finally got to world 7! The first level (7-1) is giving me all kinds of problems though. I can't seem to get the third and fourth puzzle pieces. The one with the circling bananas and the one with free fall and coin collecting. Both have zero tolerance and if one banana or coin is missed then you're done.

dkxcalibur

Dbwesz

Pratice more dkxcalibur

Dbwesz

LucinaSmash

Nintendo financial results reveals that DKC Tropical Freeze did not reach 1 million units. Operation Punish Retro has been a success, skipping Tropical Freeze to make a better Nintendo future.

For the best Wii U HD experience, Mad Catz Wii Component Cable in 1080p

Jazzer94

SkywardL wrote:

Nintendo financial results reveals that DKC Tropical Freeze did not reach 1 million units. Operation Punish Retro has been a success, skipping Tropical Freeze to make a better Nintendo future.

I hope your not serious because I see no reason for punishing them when the game was amazing.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

LucinaSmash

Operation: Punish Retro was a joke, the rest is true. I do believe this game's failure will benefit both Nintendo and Retro.

CM30

Given the Wii U itself has some about 6 million units total, I think expecting more than a million copies for the game was ridiculous. I mean, even the most hyped Mario games never sold much more than that.

And no, a Metroid or F-Zero or Star Fox game by Retro wouldn't have sold more. It would have probably gone the same way as Game & Wario, aka bombed miserably.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

jariw

SkywardL wrote:

Operation: Punish Retro was a joke, the rest is true. I do believe this game's failure will benefit both Nintendo and Retro.

If Tropical Freeze is considered a failure that Nintendo/Retro should learn from, it might perhaps not benefit gamers in the end. The main objection to that game is that it is hard, so should easier games like SM3DW or Rayman Legends be the norm? (Some has objected that TF is too short though, and that's a more valid complaint.)

IMO, Tropical Freeze is better on just about every point compared to DKCR, but you need to play a couple of worlds to experiences how excellent Tropical Freeze really is. I can understand that not everyone like platformers or DKC as an IP, but I really can't see any major mistakes made in the design/development of Tropical Freeze. It's a truly excellent platformer, if you like challenges.

jariw

rallydefault

Wow, punishing Retro? Seems pretty backwards to me for any gamer out there ...

Anyways, I picked up Tropical Freeze the other day (been trying to clear some of my backlog lately) and I LOVE it. The graphics are beautiful, the level designs are dynamic (I can't stop playing the autumn-like island) and the challenge is right up my alley. Takes me right back to DKC when I was growing up: remember watching that video that was sent out on VHS to Nintendo Power subscribers?

rallydefault

LucinaSmash

The problem with Tropical Freeze has nothing to do with gameplay, IP, or difficulty, is the fact that it doesn't offer anything new to the series and the game doesn't define the Wii U except that it's HD. Unlike Super Smash Bros and Mario Kart 8, it's a game that is difficult for Nintendo to deliver a satisfying 30 minute length Nintendo Direct solely focusing on Tropical Freeze.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.