Forums

Topic: Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze - OT

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 1,203

Rezalack

^Diddy is really only used for water level speed runs because of his jet-boost in the water. Makes him really useful. I've been doing tons of speed runs

My personal favorite is probably Cranky. Dixie is alright, makes things a little too easy in some cases though. One cool thing I never even realized you could do until I started the speed trials.. you can roll on water. If you have any of the three supports you can roll right across water, lol. It's awesome. I'm stubborn and try to get high speeds in runs before I look at another persons play-through. Second level had a really fast speed and I couldn't figure it out for the life of me.. I watched a video, within 15 seconds a guy is rolling across water and blew my mind, seeing as I went through the whole game without knowing this. Maybe I'm just dumb and never figured this out.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

MasterWario

It doesn't seem intuitive, so don't feel dumb about it. This is actually the first I've heard of it. I've been doing sporadic speed runs in random worlds so perhaps I just missed the levels where it was useful.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

parkerjames

How many times did you guys die on K-2?? I just beat it. Wheww. It was a doozy. I may have died 50 times

parkerjames

Dave24

parkerjames wrote:

How many times did you guys die on K-2?? I just beat it. Wheww. It was a doozy. I may have died 50 times

10? And got them back by jumping on the line of penguins.

You will hate life on 4-K and World 5 though - that's when the hard begins

Dave24

parkerjames

10? I must suck at platformers lol. Yeah I'm on world 5 in the game now. Slowly but surely. I went back to SM3DW last night to take it easy.

parkerjames

Rezalack

parkerjames wrote:

10? I must suck at platformers lol. Yeah I'm on world 5 in the game now. Slowly but surely. I went back to SM3DW last night to take it easy.

2-K was probably the hardest level in the game for me. I have a problem with always rushing in though.. so I die a lot, even when i wasn't doing the speed trial, I was playing it as if I were. It probably took me an hour to beat it. Took me a couple hours to beat it on speed trial and get gold, I ranked at like 28 I think. A couple days ago anyway, it's probably changed since then.. I know I can do better so I might come back to it after I get gold on all the other levels.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

spizzamarozzi

Though I told myself to stay away from platformers (I feel like I've been overexposed) I'm developing an insane level of attraction towards this game.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

JonnyKong

Omg I finally did it! Finally beat the stupid final boss.

And I've got every Kong letter too so world 7 shall be mine, all mine!

Nintendo ID: jonnylolface

JonnyKong

Or at least so I thought? I can't seem to access world 7? Don't tell me I need to do the K levels first

cookiex

JonnyKong wrote:

Or at least so I thought? I can't seem to access world 7? Don't tell me I need to do the K levels first

You need to beat all the K levels to get to World 7.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

MasterWario

JonnyKong wrote:

You can basically say the K levels are part of world 7.
Also, with the exception of 2-K and maybe 5-K and 6-K, if you can't beat the K levels there's no way you'd beat the world 7 levels anyway.

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

HawkeyeWii

This is the best platformer since Returns. I really hope this game is successful enough for Retro to make a trilogy out of the DKC games.
I have to say the only complaint I have about the game, is the still boring bonus puzzle room stages and the fact that when you play in multiplayer, you still are pooled into the first players life count. These are very minor complaints though. I hope everyone is having as much fun as I am with this gorgeous Nintendo platformer.

Friend Code 3DS FC 1547-5273-7750

Twitter:

UGXwolf

Dave24 wrote:

parkerjames wrote:

10? And got them back by jumping on the line of penguins.

You will hate life on 4-K and World 5 though - that's when the hard begins

Actually, 4-K was kinda mid-range for Temple levels, IMO. Lemme try and put them in order based on my playstyle:

3-K < 1-K < 5-K < 4-K < 6-K < 2-K

The thing is, there's no definitive order. 1-K rushes you. Some people have no trouble with this, while others can't handle the pressure. 2-K requires precision, muscle memory, and persistence. This is something a lot of platforming gamers struggle with, but can come naturally to others, so it makes sense that no one agrees on how hard it is. 3-K gives you plenty of time, but it's all about the timing. I'm a Rhythm gamer, so this is a walk in the park, for me. 4-K is somewhat of an all-round of the previous three. It does tend to push you through the level, and it will require a few tries, but it doesn't do anything to the degree of the previous temple level. It continues in this manner, with 5-K being classic, hard as balls platforming and 6-K bringing absolutely everything together. These levels are all tough, though, and even more, they're extremely unforgiving, half of them not even giving you a partner to handle the level with.

Which one is the hardest? I'd say 6-K is the all-around hardest level of the six. It will be consistently hard, no matter who's playing it. Everyone will struggle with it, and while most won't call it the hardest, everyone will likely put it in their top 3.

Also, to that rolling on the water thing? This was around in the original DKC games. Speed runners knew about it so early because it's part of some of the other DKC speed runs. Still, it's a really cool trick and don't feel bad. I did the same thing.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

JonnyKong

I don't know if I'll ever see World 7, I can't be doing with the frustrations of the K levels. I'll just watch the levels on YouTube.

Still, I managed to complete the game and grab every letter piece, I'm happy with that.

Amazing game

Edited on by JonnyKong

Big_L91

k-2 must of took me at least an hour last night. but man it felt good grabbing that present! on to the bright savannah tonight to round up the last of my kong letters and hopefully take down k-3.

i firmly believe this to be the best 2d platformer yet, however i do hope everyone leaves the genre alone for the rest of wii us life span now. lets see what the wii u can do in the 3rd dimension.

*except maybe metroid, id love to see a new 2d entry in HD.

Edited on by Big_L91

put it on.

UGXwolf

Big_L91 wrote:

k-2 must of took me at least an hour last night. but man it felt good grabbing that present! on to the bright savannah tonight to round up the last of my kong letters and hopefully take down k-3.

i firmly believe this to be the best 2d platformer yet, however i do hope everyone leaves the genre alone for the rest of wii us life span now. lets see what the wii u can do in the 3rd dimension.

*except maybe metroid, id love to see a new 2d entry in HD.

I think you'll find that 3-K will be well within your abilities, though it may take you a few tries to get the rhythm down. I didn't have much trouble sight reading this one, but the puzzle pieces had a tendency to get me killed.

Also, I don't want them to leave the genre alone for the rest of the Wii U's life span. Just long enough to get some good variety on the console before returning to what the console had to start with. Besides, I would LOVE some DKCTF and NSMBU DLC. The last DLC pack we got (NS Luigi U) was amazing. I hope Nintendo does more stuff like that.

And you should check out Knytt Underground and Teslagrad. They aren't Metroid, but I bet you'll see the Metroid influence.

WebHead

I'd kinda like to see Cranky Kong Country DLC for this game like New Super Luigi U was for NSMB U.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

UGXwolf

Last night, I completed 100% requirements:

-finish all levels (find all KONG letters)
-find all puzzles pieces.

The only item I used was Sqwaks and only when stuck on Puzzle pieces.

I've been toying with speedruns and Hard Mode, but have yet to commit to either one.

Dave24

Miss_Dark wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

I've been toying with speedruns and Hard Mode, but have yet to commit to either one.

Do you unlock the secret world once you've found all KONG letters or do you also have to find the puzzle pieces?

You have to beat kong stages, you don't need puzzle pieces.

To me 4K was the hardest, because I have a depth perception problem (I don't know if that's what it is called in English) with things like that are in this stage, like kinda rotating platforms (or "3D" drawn shapes).

I like this game more than Returns Can't get enough of it

Dave24

UGXwolf

Miss_Dark wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Do you unlock the secret world once you've found all KONG letters or do you also have to find the puzzle pieces?

Beat all six K levels and the final boss yo unlick World 7.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.