Wii U Forum

Topic: Does The Public Know About Wii U?

Showing 41 to 60 of 71

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

41. Posted:

I for one and not looking foward to the canned family/celebrity demo ads. You know the ones where they make you a fly on the wall as someone "discovers" how the new console works. Nintendo is obsessed with them...... and they probably work pretty well but I'm over it.

basically a very, very scripted version of the hands on things game journalists do :(

edit:
ad sized versions of this minus Iwata basically

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

42. Posted:

skywake wrote:

I for one and not looking foward to the canned family/celebrity demo ads. You know the ones where they make you a fly on the wall as someone "discovers" how the new console works. Nintendo is obsessed with them...... and they probably work pretty well but I'm over it.

basically a very, very scripted version of the hands on things game journalists do :(

edit:
ad sized versions of this minus Iwata basically

Yeah, I never said I liked those ads :P

I can see the demographic they're aimed at though and I'm sure they're actually quite successful at it.

There would be no point whatsoever putting together a TV ad for Nintendo hardcore gamers.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

43. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

It's also worth noting that Nintendo's products do not advertise well on TV.

How do you demonstrate how awesome 3D-without-glasses is on a 2D TV? How do you show how cool it is to have two screens working together in 30 seconds of footage and a page (if that) of dialogue?

You can't, is the answer. Nintendo's best TV ads recently have been the celebrity spot ones, but those won't work until AFTER the console has launched and Nintendo can find celebrities who have conceivably played the console long enough to have some experience stories to share.

Or a good script to read.

Also, with a lot of film scripts the general rule is 1 page = 1 minute.

So it wouldn't even get close to half a page.

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

44. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

It's also worth noting that Nintendo's products do not advertise well on TV.

How do you demonstrate how awesome 3D-without-glasses is on a 2D TV? How do you show how cool it is to have two screens working together in 30 seconds of footage and a page (if that) of dialogue?

You can't, is the answer. Nintendo's best TV ads recently have been the celebrity spot ones, but those won't work until AFTER the console has launched and Nintendo can find celebrities who have conceivably played the console long enough to have some experience stories to share.

Or a good script to read.

Also, with a lot of film scripts the general rule is 1 page = 1 minute.

So it wouldn't even get close to half a page.

Advertisements are a little different - they are generally far more dense in terms of content than an equivalent amount of time for film. It works out at about a page of dialogue for 30 seconds of screentime.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Aviator

45. Posted:

There you go.

And the only way I would be persuaded by one of those celebrity ads if it was one by gaga.
And I wouldn't be the only one. :P

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SirSmugleaf

46. Posted:

It's ironic that that man was an 'informed consumer' and he thinks that the Wii U gamepad is simply a 'gimmicky add-on' to the Wii.

That basically sums up the general public's conception and confusion of the Wii U, if they've actually heard about it.

The ironic thing is that Nintendo has a HUGE opportunity to get millions of people interested and excited for the Wii U. I mean, everyone in that video had heard of the Wii (most of them even had one, but just sometimes played golf on Wii Sports) and had played it, and liked it. Nintendo could take that to their advantage. Most average-joe westerner has probably heard of the Wii and, if marketed right, Nintendo could get everyone very excited for the Wii U. They just need to market it right and advertise clearly, saying that it's, firstly, NOT the Wii, but it's its SUCCESSOR, and, with its new gamepad, it adds a whole new level of interactivity, experiences and overall fun. Then they need to say that it supports the Wii remotes that most people have collecting dust in their cabinet, and it supports old Wii games! They need a clear message and intentions. But, Instead, no one has heard of it, and those who had are neither not interested or think it's an add-on the the current Wii. This is thanks to Nintendo.

Currently playing: Rhythm Heaven, Minecraft (XBLA), Pokemon B/W 2, Halo 4, The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Fallblox, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Will be playing soon: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Cave Story +, Wii U: NSMBU, Nintendo Land, (And lots more!)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chunky_Droid

47. Posted:

"Take your old Wii console, THROW IT IN THE BIN.... NO WAIT DON'T THROW OUT YOUR CONTROLLERS!!!! YOU'LL NEED THOSE FOR <drumroll> the new Wii U! Here's some awesome games your Wii just won't be able to do! AND LOOK AT THE NEW GAME PAD CONTROLLER YOU GET! YOU CAN TOUCH IT!"

Well it's rather rough for an advertisement but is that the kinda thing you were thinking in forms of advertisement PoshSnivy?

Feel free to add me to any of the listed consoles or services here :D just let me know who you are!

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0236-4791 | Nintendo Network ID: Chunky_Droid | Twitter: chunky_droid

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

48. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

There would be no point whatsoever putting together a TV ad for Nintendo hardcore gamers.

exception being when they do this before a movie like Dark Knight Rises at a packed cinema

stretching the definition of "TV ad" a bit but.... you get the point.
:)

The "this game is awesome, here's some footage.... if you're interested you probably know where to get it" strategy. Works for gamers, fails for mainstream consumers.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Radixxs

49. Posted:

ChunkyDroid wrote:

Radixxs wrote:

pixelman wrote:

Sold. I'm totally going to take the rest of my undergraduate courses from Wii U. I wonder what campus life is like there.

I'm not sure, but I've been told it involves little white things and a lot of waggle.

I saw "white things" and "waggle", then looked at your avatar and chuckled ;)

Hohohoho you may be laughing now, but we'll see who's laughing tonight when you wake up for a glass of water...

I've got the body of a taut, pre-teen Swedish boy.
Covers & Korg DS-10 Originals.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

50. Posted:

skywake wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

There would be no point whatsoever putting together a TV ad for Nintendo hardcore gamers.

exception being when they do this before a movie like Dark Knight Rises at a packed cinema

stretching the definition of "TV ad" a bit but.... you get the point.
:)

The "this game is awesome, here's some footage.... if you're interested you probably know where to get it" strategy. Works for gamers, fails for mainstream consumers.

Oh for sure Cinema advertising is great for Games companies. Relatively cheap, and it's far easier to know who will be sittin in those seats - unless you sponsor a tv show (even more expensive) you can't be as sure that gamers are going to be watching the random show your ad pops up on compared to being perfectly sure just about every gamer in town is going to see Batman.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SirSmugleaf

51. Posted:

ChunkyDroid wrote:

"Take your old Wii console, THROW IT IN THE BIN.... NO WAIT DON'T THROW OUT YOUR CONTROLLERS!!!! YOU'LL NEED THOSE FOR <drumroll> the new Wii U! Here's some awesome games your Wii just won't be able to do! AND LOOK AT THE NEW GAME PAD CONTROLLER YOU GET! YOU CAN TOUCH IT!"

Well it's rather rough for an advertisement but is that the kinda thing you were thinking in forms of advertisement PoshSnivy?

Sure, that's roughly what I'm at. I don't think that's exactly what Nintendo is going to do, but it would be better than what they're doing now in terms of advertisements; NOTHING!

Edited on by SirSmugleaf

Currently playing: Rhythm Heaven, Minecraft (XBLA), Pokemon B/W 2, Halo 4, The Denpa Men: They Came By Wave, Fallblox, Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN)

Will be playing soon: Paper Mario: Sticker Star, Cave Story +, Wii U: NSMBU, Nintendo Land, (And lots more!)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xilef

52. Posted:

You know what we need? The Wizard 2. "I love the Gamepad. It's so bad."

3DS FC: 4940 5422 5472

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Sylverstone

53. Posted:

At least the older lady had a fair idea of what the name could be - "an update to Nintendo Wii 1".

While most of the cringe-worthy responses in this video were laughable (Kinectimals on Wii?), I do hope to see some Wii U ads circulating soon. Then again, I haven't seen much television to know whether or not they are starting (last I heard there was a Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition commercial on the airwaves).

I'm also glad to see the scope of the Wii's popularity. Everyone knew what it was, and it just blew my mind because Nintendo just did it - they were able to sell the system to a brand new audience and it worked out big-time. Hell if I could ask any of the older folks in this video if they knew what the GameCube was.

Sylver's Edge on YT | Sylver's Edge: The Developer's Journal | Follow me! | StreetPass NYC | Sylverloggery

"I always try to create new experiences that are fun to play." - Shigeru Miyamoto

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9715-1818 | Nintendo Network ID: Sylverstone14 | Twitter: Sylverstone14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jono97

54. Posted:

Well, my mum doesn't know about it... Seriously nintendo, you need to get metaknight to spam some ads everywhere.
I do think that the wii U will have to rely heavily on advertisements. The news media wouldn't spend their time showing off a console that isn't mind blowing.
Having EB games pasting wii U posters around the shop does almost nothing.

Not extremely into nintendo at the moment, but not really into anything else either. :|

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6640-5759 | Twitter: clubmini123

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

55. Posted:

clubmini wrote:

Having EB games pasting wii U posters around the shop does almost nothing.

Ok, lets say for the sake of argument that upto ~2million units will be sold before the end of the year and that over the life of the console they'll sell anything from 50mill to 100mill units. These early users will be anything from the first 1% to 4% of purchasers. Now there is a thing called the "Technology adoption lifecycle" that would describe those people in the first 1-4% as people who, amongst other things, were very high information consumers. They know what they're getting because they're reading all the niche media already so the in store marketing is purely there to convince them that they should get it at one shop rather than the other.

What you're talking about is driving interest for the majority of consumers. Currently pretty much no amount of marketing in the world could convince them to line up on launch day or pre-order it. They need to be convinced by peer pressure and word of mouth which happens in the many months after launch through the walking billboards who were there in the first 10-15%. You know when your friends ask you what your new gadget is? That's what's happening there. At that stage marketing is needed but it's just the extra nudge for an already half convinced consumer.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

56. Posted:

The GENERAL Public probably doesn't know about the Wii U or, more importantly, doesn't care. The GAMERS know what the Wii U is and (even if they don't want it) acknowledge it's existence. Asking random people off the street who haven't played games since the Atari 2600 isn't a fair and accurate way to see if "people" know about the Wii U.

What they should have done is gone to GameStop, GAME, or any other gaming retailer and ask customers as they walk in. That way, the part of the community that gives two _____ about gaming would be able to give their opinion, if they have one.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

57. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

The GENERAL Public probably doesn't know about the Wii U or, more importantly, doesn't care. The GAMERS know what the Wii U is and (even if they don't want it) acknowledge it's existence. Asking random people off the street who haven't played games since the Atari 2600 isn't a fair and accurate way to see if "people" know about the Wii U.

What they should have done is gone to GameStop, GAME, or any other gaming retailer and ask customers as they walk in. That way, the part of the community that gives two _____ about gaming would be able to give their opinion, if they have one.

Well said. They should have done as you suggested, then it would have been a little more, I don't know, ACCURATE.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

willobee

58. Posted:

Picking a very select sample to see if somethiny as general as the public knows of the wiiu is nowhere near accurate... It's biased.

NNID: willobee

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

59. Posted:

wobee wrote:

Picking a very select sample to see if somethiny as general as the public knows of the wiiu is nowhere near accurate... It's biased.

Depends on what your goal is. If you're goal was to work out how much the general public knows about the Wii U then it would be biased. If your goal was something more useful like working out what the public's opinion of the Wii U was you'd get better results by going to people who know more about it.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

60. Posted:

skywake wrote:

clubmini wrote:

Having EB games pasting wii U posters around the shop does almost nothing.

Ok, lets say for the sake of argument that upto ~2million units will be sold before the end of the year and that over the life of the console they'll sell anything from 50mill to 100mill units. These early users will be anything from the first 1% to 4% of purchasers. Now there is a thing called the "Technology adoption lifecycle" that would describe those people in the first 1-4% as people who, amongst other things, were very high information consumers. They know what they're getting because they're reading all the niche media already so the in store marketing is purely there to convince them that they should get it at one shop rather than the other.

What you're talking about is driving interest for the majority of consumers. Currently pretty much no amount of marketing in the world could convince them to line up on launch day or pre-order it. They need to be convinced by peer pressure and word of mouth which happens in the many months after launch through the walking billboards who were there in the first 10-15%. You know when your friends ask you what your new gadget is? That's what's happening there. At that stage marketing is needed but it's just the extra nudge for an already half convinced consumer.

You and I disagree on a whole lot of stuff, but holy crap I love you right now man.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)