Forums

Topic: Does the Kinect-less Xbox One mean anything for the Wii U?

Posts 141 to 160 of 250

SCRAPPER392

blaisedinsd wrote:

@scar392
I still don't understand what you mean "There's software that needs the GamePad, and it's tied to the GPGPU".

There is software right now that requires a gamepad be connected to the system similarly to how wii games required the use of the nunchuck. Is that what you mean?

All the "work" is done by the console and not the gamepad in my understanding. The gamepad simply displays an image streamed from the console and sends controller input to the console. Is that what you mean?

I suppose the rendering of the second screen uses up some of the consoles resources....maybe that's why they didn't do more with the gamepad in DK and Kart.

There are games that require the touch screen itself. Like I posted earlier, games like Color Zen don't even have a controller option, regardless. Nintendo would be forcing some developers to add a controller option. The GPGPU itself is designed to send an image to the GamePad, passively, I think. That would allow the Wii U to stream an image directly to the GamePad, without any process going on to do so.

There is an image being processed for the screen, but sending it to the GamePad is basically automatic, as far as I can tell. They invested money in a part to make that happen, so however much that is, would be wasted by excluding the GamePad.

If you don't understand, you're argument is invalid, period. Once you understand, figure it out, and you'll realize they'd be wasting around $30-40 in parts that stream and process for the GamePad, IF they exclude the GamePad. At that point, any amount they save consumers is automatically add to whatever costs Nintendo has. This is 100% legitimate information.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

SCRAPPER392

Kodeen wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think

SCAR392 wrote:

as far as I can tell

SCAR392 wrote:

This is 100% legitimate information.

There's a such thing as paragraphs. They separate subjects.

Qwest

MikeLove

SCAR392 wrote:

Kodeen wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I think

SCAR392 wrote:

as far as I can tell

SCAR392 wrote:

This is 100% legitimate information.

There's a such thing as paragraphs. They separate subjects.

Untitled

Kind of missed the point....

MikeLove

SCRAPPER392

@KennyPowers
I get the point, but there are paragraphs that separate each subject. Notice how each of those lines he quoted were from separate paragraphs.

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
I knew you might say that... The first 2 paragraphs are similar, but the main idea of the first one, was that games are using and require it. The second one was trying to explain that the feature is probably passive, so any gadgetry involved isn't immediately worth anything to consumers or Nintendo, if the GamePad was excluded. Lastly, the 3rd paragraph was about how much they probably lose(a guestimate) by saving consumers $30-40, which is lead up from the past point.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
The idea is 100% legitimate, and before you say ideas aren't concrete, here's the wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idea

The $30-40 range is a guess, but the fact that there is any range of price variances is self explanatory.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

SCRAPPER392

@Kodeen
Sarcasm aside(maybe?), you are right. I should have made myself more clear and said that some things were guesses.

EDIT: I just looked at the teardown to estimate costs... My REAL guess is that around $25-30 could potentially be voided by excluding the GamePad. If they sell the GamePad separately(meaning someone buys it), they would make that money back, but if someone doesn't buy the GamePad, that $25-30 is now being burned from Nintendo's pocket.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

Action51

KennyPowers wrote:

Untitled

It's too bad you weren't the OP of this thread, as then you could delete it in shame again!

Never forget me..you don't like it?

Now you're just lashing out. Sorry that your crusade to convert the heathen Nintendo fans has met some resistance. You may end up having to live ina world where some people like a brand of consumer electronics that you obsessively hate.

Untitled

Never forget me...

Action51

skywake

I really hate repeats, is there ever anything new on this channel?

The people arguing that the GamePad should be scrapped are more than just not right. They aren't even wrong.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MikeLove

Arguing against the gamepad is fruitless. Anyone who likes it will never have their mind changed, and anyone who dislikes it won't have their opinion swayed either.

The above statement is 100% legitimate

MikeLove

MikeLove

@Action51 You had around 24hrs to formulate a decent reply, and that's the best you could come up with? Sad.

At this point it just feels like I'm picking on you, so I will be the better man and move on. From now on please 'never again' reply to any of my posts, and I will ignore yours as well.

Regards,

KennyPowers

Edited on by MikeLove

MikeLove

Dreamz

Just going to leave this here....

* Do not "flame" others. Blatantly offensive posts directed at others will not be tolerated. While we do allow members to debate and voice their own opinions, there will be a limit to how far a heated debate can go before it is closed by staff.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

MikeLove

Dreamz wrote:

Just going to leave this here....

* Do not "flame" others. Blatantly offensive posts directed at others will not be tolerated. While we do allow members to debate and voice their own opinions, there will be a limit to how far a heated debate can go before it is closed by staff.

It's not a flame. I would just genuinely prefer that he ignores all of my posts from now on, and I will do the same for him. All he does is follow me around on this site and reply to my comments and try to 'prove' I hate Nintendo, when nothing could be further from the truth. I'm fine with debating the other users here, but there is something off about this guy.

MikeLove

jariw

KennyPowers wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

I don't know why Mario Kart 8 will not support 5 players. I think the emphasis is on motion controls, so the GamePad ensures players have a motion controller.

Probably because with 4 players the graphics take a noticible hit and the FPS drops to around 30. With 5 players it would likely be much worse.

I think that's correct. Not only is it 5 players, one of these 5 rendered streams would also be sent through firewire, which add even more to the overall slowdowns.

Judging from the MK8 demo I played, I'll personally stay away from 3 and 4 local players as much as possible. The 1 and 2 player in 60 fps in HD is just so incredibly detailed, smooth and nice, so going to 30 fps doesn't seem to be worth it for me.

jariw

jariw

blaisedinsd wrote:

Lego City and Zombi U need it, but it seems silly that those games do not have a mode where they can operate with out the gamepad.

In Lego City:Undercover, the actual GamePad (or a LEGO thing that looks like the GamePad) is displayed in the game, and the incoming calls are sent to and heard from the GamePad. The gyro in the GamePad is heavily used to scan for different things. And much much more. All this things adds a good deal to the actual gameplay experience. I fail to see why it would be silly that it doesn't operate without the GamePad.

jariw

skywake

KennyPowers wrote:

Arguing against the gamepad is fruitless. Anyone who likes it will never have their mind changed, and anyone who dislikes it won't have their opinion swayed either.

Well the "anti-GamePaders" aren't "against" the GamePad. They're more like armchair analysts who think they understand how to sell a product to millions of people more than Nintendo do. In that other pit on these forums the circular argument revolved around the GamePad being a great idea that should be abandoned purely because the sales were bad. Lower cost -> More sales. Ignoring entirely the value in not pissing off existing customers, making existing major titles not work and knocking off one of the key differentiating features of the console mid-cycle. The GamePad has always been more central to what the Wii U is than the Kinect was ever going to be for the XBOne.

As I pointed out, the people who want the GamePad dead are more than just not right IMO. Nintendo WON'T do it, they can't do it, it's too disruptive. People saying this are not even wrong. Their argument only sticks because it makes for nice clickbait.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Action51

Well @KennyPowers:

This idea that I'm "following you around" is pretty silly. I thought we covered this before, but you are desperate to make everything about ME, and not about my points. Just look what happened here.

See, here's the thing: I make comments and contribute to various discussions across various articles and forum topics on this website from new games, to old games, to opinions on non-gaming issues, to whatever...because I try to be a part of the on-line community here.

You only seem to show up when there is a negative agenda you want to push. I just don't see you in other places...so really if anything I find you lack a general presence as a poster here, and it doesn't take any effort to run into your posts...I think people would be less skeptical of your constant derision and put-downs and negativity if you posted on other topics and occasionally had something positive to say.

That's why many see you as a troll and a hater.

Now I'm a big boy, and I can handle your personal attacks. Sorry if you can't handle civil discussion, and honestly by the way you troll, post gifs, and generally antagonize others, I'd say you aren't here for civil discussion.

I don't say this with any joy.

Action51

blaisedinsd

A game like color zen would not be forced to add controller options, they could simply be only compatible with a game pad. Most wii u owners have gamepads.

The cost of the part you refer too you are greatly exaggerating the cost, do you have a source for your info. Regardless, the cost would be passed on to the consumer who buys the new sku so it's irrelevant. The gamepad is 1/3 of the cost of the materials it takes to make the current sku so you can reduce the sale price by 1/3 with out the gamepad, with the console remaining exactly the same, and the profit margins remain the same. If you don't understand that then your argument is invalid.

SW-7087-5868-6390

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.