Forums

Topic: Do you think the Wii U can survive a 5 year lifespan with little to no 3rd party support?

Posts 121 to 137 of 137

dumedum

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

Sure it will survive just fine, even excel, mostly because it's not true.

It has a ton of third party support, called indies, and also has the franchises that sell well to a younger demographic like Lego, Skylanders, Disney.

You deal in overstatements my friend.

Definition of excel: to surpass others or be superior in some respect or area.

Actually, the definition is "Be exceptionally good at or proficient in an activity or subject."
And I think the Wii U is exceptionally good indeed.

"It has a ton of third party support, called indies.."

So does the Ouya, it's only $99, and it's failing... hard.

Well, that's fine, not really relevant.

gage_wolf wrote:

Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker, W101, Wii Sports Club, EarthBound, Nintendoland (possibly beefed up with online capabilities), and of course their 3rd party titles... Man, that would have blown people away.

Probably not. NSMB U sold tremendously well, and 3D World is less successful. It wouldn't have made sense to sell two Mario games at the same time either. I agree Wind Waker: HD should have been a launch title.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

bubble_bear

dumedum wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

It has a ton of third party support, called indies, and also has the franchises that sell well to a younger demographic like Lego, Skylanders, Disney.

Actually, the definition is "Be exceptionally good at or proficient in an activity or subject."

How is that not relevant? You were supporting your point that the Wii U will "excel" in the coming years partly due to its large catalogue of indie titles. The Ouya is a relatively cheap console who's main draw is indie titles, and it's pretty much a failure. You don't see any parallels there? I'm not saying the comparison is 1:1, but relying on indies to carry a $300 console is obviously not the path toward success.

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

iKhan

TopLaytonsHat wrote:

dumedum wrote:

That may be true, but let's put things in perspective: no one buys a console solely for indie games, nor are they as powerful as people make them out to be.

Exactly, of the indies I've bought, few give me more than an hour of enjoyment.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

kkslider5552000

iKhan wrote:

TopLaytonsHat wrote:

dumedum wrote:

That may be true, but let's put things in perspective: no one buys a console solely for indie games, nor are they as powerful as people make them out to be.

You've been playing the wrong games then.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

dumedum

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

How is that not relevant? You were supporting your point that the Wii U will "excel" in the coming years partly due to its large catalogue of indie titles. The Ouya is a relatively cheap console who's main draw is indie titles, and it's pretty much a failure. You don't see any parallels there? I'm not saying the comparison is 1:1, but relying on indies to carry a $300 console is obviously not the path toward success.

Let's see... is Scram Kitty there? No. Is Swords and Soldiers II there? No... Stick it to the Man? No... these are games that are attractive for me on Wii U.
If Ouya had tons of good indies AND I don't know.. Nintento's first party combined then maybe it would be successful. See how irrelevant that is?

Indies on Wii U are not the same indies as ouya and are in combination with first party and certain third party software.

unrandomsam

Some indies are good but just none of them seem to be on the Wii U. (I suspect Shovel Knight will be good).

Out of all the consoles when it comes to the indie's I actually like then the Vita seems to have the best choice.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

kkslider5552000

tl;dr because I don't hate myself enough but

1. Indies are not enough to sell a console to the type of massive audience Nintendo is going for. It helps unquestionably, but that alone would not be enough unless they actively promoted the most notable examples like PS4.
2. If Nintendo has no choice, they would pay for some major titles. At least a couple.
3. While the major western publishers are unlikely, Sega, Capcom and Namco are all extremely likely to give some support for various actually realistic reasons.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

unrandomsam

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

dumedum wrote:

The Ouya is not really a failure. The model they are using is sell hardware at a profit.

The other part doesn't really matter. It is like selling any other physical device. (Probably even pretty profitable).

We are also awaiting Nvidia's next move. (Their stuff is in no console. The paying off PC dev's to use Nvidia specific features isn't really working very well because they are not putting any effort in. They need to do something).

Edited on by unrandomsam

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

jariw

iKhan wrote:

The only indies that only give me an hour of gameplay is the ones where I get bored and stop playing.
For most players, Scram Kitty seems to be taking 20+ hours for 104 cats saved (I'm not there yet, but I will play it to the end, and it will take me much more than 20 hours). One hour will probably not be enough master the game mechanics in Scram Kitty. Stick it to the Man! is about 5 hours. Trine 2 is also not a short game.

Indies will not sell units, but indies might bring new GamePad concepts to the Wii U that major studios might be afraid to test (such as in Scram Kitty, Hex Heroes or Affordable Space Adventures).

jariw

iKhan

jariw wrote:

iKhan wrote:

The only indies that only give me an hour of gameplay is the ones where I get bored and stop playing.
For most players, Scram Kitty seems to be taking 20+ hours for 104 cats saved (I'm not there yet, but I will play it to the end, and it will take me much more than 20 hours). One hour will probably not be enough master the game mechanics in Scram Kitty. Stick it to the Man! is about 5 hours. Trine 2 is also not a short game.

Indies will not sell units, but indies might bring new GamePad concepts to the Wii U that major studios might be afraid to test (such as in Scram Kitty, Hex Heroes or Affordable Space Adventures).

It's not an hour of gameplay in total, I just get bored of them very quickly. Indie games tend to be very NES-like and hence don't have a lot of depth or breadth to them. So I lose interest fast. On the other hand, the two full games I have on 3DS, Pokemon Y and Tales of the Abyss, I can play for hours on end without getting bored at all.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

electrolite77

Come on now. Indies are nice to have but that's it (and the Wii U's indie support is unremarkable compared to other formats anyway). At the equivalent stage in the Cube's life (first half of 2003) it was getting Burnout 2, Skies of Arcadia, Conflict Desert Storm, Monkey Ball 2, SSX3, Tiger Woods etc. They may not be to everyone's tastes but they add much needed variety to the library and revenue for Nintendo. Even the N64 had better third-party support.

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

CheapCheepBeach

kkslider5552000 wrote:

1. Indies are not enough to sell a console to the type of massive audience Nintendo is going for. It helps unquestionably, but that alone would not be enough unless they actively promoted the most notable examples like PS4.
2. If Nintendo has no choice, they would pay for some major titles. At least a couple.
3. While the major western publishers are unlikely, Sega, Capcom and Namco are all extremely likely to give some support for various actually realistic reasons.

Well SEGA didn't put Aliens on Wii U and Namco are bringing their shovelware over. Plus Capcom didn't even bother...

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

CheapCheepBeach

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Where is the Aliens, Dark Souls or USFIV?

CheapCheepBeach

dumedum

memoryman3 wrote:

Well SEGA didn't put Aliens on Wii U and Namco are bringing their shovelware over. Plus Capcom didn't even bother...

Where is Sonic Lost World, Sonic Olympics, Sonic Boom on PS/Xbox? Where is Monster Hunter Tri on PS4/Xbox?

CheapCheepBeach

dumedum wrote:

memoryman3 wrote:

Where is Sonic Lost World, Sonic Olympics, Sonic Boom on PS/Xbox? Where is Monster Hunter Tri on PS4/Xbox?

Where is Monster Hunter 4 Wii U?

Well Nintendo money hatted the Sonic games so it doesn't count.

CheapCheepBeach

iKhan

memoryman3 wrote:

dumedum wrote:

memoryman3 wrote:

Where is Monster Hunter 4 Wii U?

Well Nintendo money hatted the Sonic games so it doesn't count.

So Titanfall and PvZ: Garden Warfare don't count for Microsoft either right?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.