Forums

Topic: Do you think the Wii U can survive a 5 year lifespan with little to no 3rd party support?

Posts 101 to 120 of 137

electrolite77

jariw wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Yes, NintendoLand, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Rayman Origins, and ZombiU all use the gamepad, but that's less than a tenth of the Wii U's entire retail library. I've never heard anything of Arkham City/Origins, CoD, And RE: Rev using the gamepad in a way other than Off-TV Play.

If you did some research, you'd discover that Arkham City/Origins, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Resident Evil:Revelations all have specific GamePad features. (I don't have any of these games, but it was not difficult to find out through the reviews.) If you would play some Wii U games some time, you'd discover that among the current top 20 Wii U titles on Metacritic, about 70% of them have really good GamePad features.

Nothing essential though, as both the Batman games and Black Ops 2 can be played in their entirety on the Gamepad. One of the confusing dichotomies of the system is you've got people like me who have very little interest in anything other than Off TV Play. I don't own Lego City Undercover or Game and Wario as I'd get little chance to play them

Xbox Gamertag - GJB77XBOX

Playstation ID - GJB77

Switch friend code - SW-5907-7972-1196

Nintendo network Username - GJB77

Bolt_Strike

memoryman3 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

It's probably going to be tough, but I think it can make it that long, yeah. The good news is we're almost halfway there, so it really just needs to last about 3 more years.

Nope.

Brilliant counterpoint, sir.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

afro_insomniac

I think it can.

It's already on year 3, 2 more years at least should be no problem. This year should be ok (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, another big budget title for the holidays).

If you look at the other consoles, neither have must have software and even the XB1 is struggling to make sales due to their inflated Kinect inclusions.

Without the Wii U, this next generation is pretty bland. I own a PS4 and the only titles I've been interested in were Infamous, MGS, and Assassin's Creed. All of the other ports were badly done or not worth the upgrade (2K14 glitchfest, Battlefield 4 glitchfest, COD).

What good is 3rd party when the quality is vastly worse than the first party games?

Don't get me wrong, PS4 is going to be a must own device in 2015... but so far it definitely is a skip. XB1 is probably a skip until at least 2015, maybe even 2016. The Wii U on the other hand already has a solid library of 1st party games that any Nintendo fan can dip into.

There's only a select few 3rd party companies that rival Nintendo 1st party games. Unfortunately most of these companies are making diddly squat in the near future. 2015 and beyond...

Edited on by afro_insomniac

afro_insomniac

Jazzer94

afro_insomniac wrote:

I think it can.

It's already on year 3, 2 more years at least should be no problem. This year should be ok (Mario Kart, Smash Bros, another big budget title for the holidays).

If you look at the other consoles, neither have must have software and even the XB1 is struggling to make sales due to their inflated Kinect inclusions.

Without the Wii U, this next generation is pretty bland. I own a PS4 and the only titles I've been interested in were Infamous, MGS, and Assassin's Creed. All of the other ports were badly done or not worth the upgrade (2K14 glitchfest, Battlefield 4 glitchfest, COD).

What good is 3rd party when the quality is vastly worse than the first party games?

Don't get me wrong, PS4 is going to be a must own device in 2015... but so far it definitely is a skip. XB1 is probably a skip until at least 2015, maybe even 2016. The Wii U on the other hand already has a solid library of 1st party games that any Nintendo fan can dip into.

There's only a select few 3rd party companies that rival Nintendo 1st party games. Unfortunately most of these companies are making diddly squat in the near future. 2015 and beyond...

Wii U came out in November 2012 it hasn't even been 2 full years yet.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

rockodoodle

I like using the gamepad for Tekken and Madden too.

iKhan wrote:

jariw wrote:

iKhan wrote:

Yes, NintendoLand, Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club, Wii Fit U, Rayman Origins, and ZombiU all use the gamepad, but that's less than a tenth of the Wii U's entire retail library. I've never heard anything of Arkham City/Origins, CoD, And RE: Rev using the gamepad in a way other than Off-TV Play.

If you did some research, you'd discover that Arkham City/Origins, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Resident Evil:Revelations all have specific GamePad features. (I don't have any of these games, but it was not difficult to find out through the reviews.) If you would play some Wii U games some time, you'd discover that among the current top 20 Wii U titles on Metacritic, about 70% of them have really good GamePad features.

Do you mean the menu screens being moved to the Gamepad (that's most of what I saw in regards to Gamepad features for those games, there is the Batarang steering, but that could be done with the Wii remote) , that's really nothing special. Another simple convenience that doesn't necessitate bundling the Gamepad with the Wii U. It's the equivalent of having a menu cursor in a Wii game and saying the game has motion control.

Very little uses the Gamepad to offer a new gameplay experience. NintendoLand and ZombiU are two good examples of using the Gamepad right, but not much else does.

rockodoodle

SCRAPPER392

Just give it more time. Nintendo will support it just as well as they did for GCN, probably. If Nintendo has to, they'll release a game from every IP they own, and buy exclusives from 3rd parties.

EDIT: So, yes. I think they'll "survive", and that may be how Wii U becomes successful.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Action51

As much as I hate these parallels:
Let's see what it might look like if Nintendo abandoned the Wii U and pumped out a new console now:

Untitled
First we'll find a console that was marketed poorly and sold badly

Untitled
Now the more powerful, heavily marketed system that would follow after the quickly abandoned one.

That's just a possible scenario...

Action51

DefHalan

I hope the Wii U is the start of Nintendo's mid gen releases. If should be releasing consoles I. The middle of generations. Imagine if the Wii U came a year earlier? Wii U is powerful enough to get PS3/360 games along with having some extra juice. Nintendo consoles wouldn't have to be much of an improvement and still get 3rd party support pretty easily while capitalizing on their 1st Party games. Basically the come out with a new console in the middle of PS4/XBOX1 lifespan which is slightly more power than them so it is easy for 3rd Parties and unique enough to power Nintendo's games. Nintendo's system is then able to be released separately than other console releases (allowing for maximum profit) they have power butthe tech is old enough to have a reasonable price (which allows them to stay ccompetitive) the only negative is the second half of the console's life is pretty baren of 3rd Parties but as we can see with the 360/PS3, older consoles are being supported longer which gives hope that Nintendo's system gets support longer. Is a console lifespan is 5-6 years we could see a new Nintendo console in 2 years (when PS4/XBOX1 are 3 years old) and this Nintendo console could be powerful enough to play PS4/XBOX1 games. Then the PS4/XBOX1 are replaced two years later but they are still supported for a year or two after that which the next Nintendo System can still play those. Nintendo's systems would have a hard line of support (where when the next system is released the old system no longer gets games, unlike Xbox or PS) but it could be healthy for Nintendo as well as the industry

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

@memoryman3
Please don't edit my posts in your quotes, I don't agree with you. Don't make it appear as though I do. To counter your misquote, publishers only really care about sales. If the Wii U was moving units they'd make sure it worked. The Wii U isn't anywhere near as gimped as the Wii was.

iKhan wrote:

You're right, people don't care too much about the Gaming media, but that's not what I was referring to when I said "negative press". I read news across the board, and it's not just Kotaku and Gamespot that have given the Wii U negative press. It's in the New York Times, on Yahoo News, etc. So the public has gotten an overwhelmingly negative perception of the system because of the negativity regarding the system. So when someone goes to the store to buy a console, they will see the Wii U and associate it with the negative press.

I'd include articles in Yahoo and the New York times about gaming as the "gaming media". I don't think the average consumer walking into the shops really cares about what the media has said about a platform in the past. Also if I search each of the three platforms right now I see:
"Could the NSA use Microsoft's Xbox One to spy on you?"
"PS4 Performance Boost Details and Updates on Future of PlayStation Services"
"Is One of the Wii U's Biggest Supporters About to Ditch the Console?"

That matters somewhat because some people will google it. Two of those are pretty dire, the XBOne one is by far the biggest turn off even if it is now completely unfounded and was always BS. The bigger question is what will a search show in 3 months? 6 months? 1 year? Momentum does matter and the "gaming community" are the people who spark momentum, I'll give you that. However the average consumer only gets partial information. Do you think anyone who brought the 3DS in late 2011 really cared about how slow those first 6 months were?

iKhan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Lots of words here. I think a lot of the ranting about the Wii U hardware is a crisis in search of a problem. The hardware was fine, the software is what has let them down. 18 months in we still don't have any of the five traditional Nintendo system sellers other than Mario. Twice. If Kart and Smash don't seriously swing the trajectory of the Wii U then you can start talking about how they buggered up the hardware.

I'm not speaking empirically, there is obviously no way to do so when saying the concept of hardware is flawed. I'm speaking in theory, so whether or not Kart and Smash swing the trajectory doesn't really matter much. The reason you include expensive hardware in a system is to transform gameplay, and the Gamepad has failed at that level. The Wii also replaced power with a peripheral, but the key difference was that every game coming out used motion control, so it ended up adding an experience that made the Wii feel "next-gen" without the power.

Now, maybe Nintendo can turn it around, they have obviously realized the error in not utilizing the Gamepad well, and have said they will fix it at E3, so we could see Nintendo's vision for the system change to something better.

EDIT: Now that I really think about it, I'm not saying the Hardware is flawed, but rather that the concept is flawed. And I'd say the concept is the most important piece. The PS4's hardware would support the concept of a small computer, but instead the concept is that of a game console. Nintendo just needs to modify their initial concept for what the Wii U was supposed to be.

So it's not about the software despite the fact that they haven't pushed out any of their big hitters yet. It's not about the hardware because you misspoke. It's instead about the "concept". What is this concept exactly? Well no idea, you didn't say. Just sounds nice doesn't it.

Lets think about this for a second, what is the Wii U "concept"? Well it's obvious. It's a GPU in a box that plays games and can push a video signal into your hands. Are they going to change that concept? Well you said it not me, personally I don't think so. More likely they'll just find ways to actually develop the original concept. How do they do that? Well.... The hardware was fine, the software is what has let them down. So what they'll do is create more software, create more content. That's how they revive their original concept.

When they do that can they hold out for the full 5 years? Damn right they can. Will it "win" the console race? Well I don't know, seems unlikely. As I said it takes both content and momentum to sell units. The Wii U has neither ATM, it will get more content, that content will start some momentum. How much? Who knows.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Th3PlaidHatter

Releasing a console and a handheld, each of which only happen every 6-8 years, is too risky. They need to becme an entertainment company, not just video games. They have the characters They need to open a theme park, put out quality) cartoons, maybe moves (kinda wrried about that though), and just generally spread across the risk and reward. Where they are now does not allow business segments pick up the slack for others that are behind expectations. They bet the whole company with each hardware release.

They also need better leverage of home and handheld consoles. Remote play. Cross play/purchase, especially for VC titles. Unlockables for having related software. Extend support of nfc (like the characters they have announced) and AR. Stop forgetting features when they are what was supposed to differentiate frm competitors.

Easy, right?

Th3PlaidHatter

19Robb92

Yeah.

The WiiU will live as long as Nintendo is willing to support it. When they stop, it'll die off.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

CheapCheepBeach

Action51 wrote:

As much as I hate these parallels
Let's see what it might look like if Nintendo abandoned the Wii U and pumped out a new console now:

Untitled
First we'll find a console that was marketed poorly and sold badly
Untitled
Now the more powerful, heavily marketed system that would follow after the quickly abandoned one.

That's just a possible scenario...

The difference was that SEGA was losing money and the Dreamcast is doing better than Wii U.
Also, PS2 was more powerful.

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

CheapCheepBeach

19Robb92 wrote:

Yeah.

The Wii U will live as long as Ubisoft is willing to support it. When they stop, it'll die off.

Well I think Ubi has already abandoned us. Plus there is only so much that one publisher can do. You can't have a console that is carried by only one publisher! There will be severe game droughts otherwise.

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

Jazzer94

memoryman3 wrote:

19Robb92 wrote:

Yeah.

The Wii U will live as long as Ubisoft is willing to support it. When they stop, it'll die off.

Well I think Ubi has already abandoned us. Plus there is only so much that one publisher can do. You can't have a console that is carried by only one publisher! There will be severe game droughts otherwise.

I find you changing what people are writing to be very disrespectful (I know you think it's funny but it's really just pathetic)

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

Nintenjoe64

How is the Wii U any different to any other Nintendo console since the N64? Nintendo will drag this out as long as they can, making a tiny profit by not spending any money on it but releasing reliable money makers to avoid looking like they don't care. They'll even get 3rd party support towards the end because the user base will be acceptable for EA and friends to launch ported PS3 games.

The disappointment for me is that Zelda U will never be the game it should be and we'll only get half of the games we expect. Nintendo won't see the sense in making an epic game with such a low sales potential so they'll scale it down slightly like they did with Wind Waker. Then again, Nintendo hardly went all out when making the Skyward Sword quests so even massive hardware sales don't guarantee effort being put into the software.

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

jariw

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

The disappointment for me is that Zelda U will never be the game it should be and we'll only get half of the games we expect. Nintendo won't see the sense in making an epic game with such a low sales potential so they'll scale it down slightly like they did with Wind Waker. Then again, Nintendo hardly went all out when making the Skyward Sword quests so even massive hardware sales don't guarantee effort being put into the software.

So, in what specific ways does Zelda U disappoint you? How does it differ from the game it should be? How is the graphics style and music for that game? How does it use the GamePad? Based on the public info I have about EADs involved and years since they started, it seems like this project might have taken a couple of hundred man years of R&D and QA time, so I'm surprised to hear that they didn't put any effort into it.

I didn't know the music was completed and recorded yet for Zelda U, or did your version of that game use temp tracks?

jariw

dumedum

Sure it will survive just fine, even excel, mostly because it's not true.

It has a ton of third party support, called indies, and also has the franchises that sell well to a younger demographic like Lego, Skylanders, Disney.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

Ryno

Yes it will. The Wii U is just (finally) getting started.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

bubble_bear

Too early to tell. I think we'll have a clearer picture of just what it's going to take for Nintendo to get peoples' attention after MK8 and Smash are out.

It's interesting that looking back Wii U's first year almost seems like it never happened. The launch went under the radar, a few big titles came out but didn't really do all that well. They really should have just waited a year, and released with the other two systems since that's when everyone was paying attention. I don't think power would even be an issue if you compare the possible launch titles. Imagine if the Wii U came out alongside Xbone and PS4 with these launch titles: Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker, W101, Wii Sports Club, EarthBound, Nintendoland (possibly beefed up with online capabilities), and of course their 3rd party titles... Man, that would have blown people away. While it's great that we got to enjoy all those games earlier, I think if they would have held off the launch and just dropped all those games like a bomb on Christmas it would have really had an impact... Oh well.

bubble_bear

bubble_bear

dumedum wrote:

Sure it will survive just fine, even excel, mostly because it's not true.

It has a ton of third party support, called indies, and also has the franchises that sell well to a younger demographic like Lego, Skylanders, Disney.

You deal in overstatements my friend.

Definition of excel: to surpass others or be superior in some respect or area.

At this point let's just hope Wii U finds enough footing to do well enough to make it through the next couple years. I would not describe the Wii U as "excelling" at anything at the moment, nor would Nintendo or their stockholders.

"It has a ton of third party support, called indies.."

So does the Ouya, it's only $99, and it's failing... hard.

bubble_bear

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.