Wii U Forum

Topic: Do you think Nintendo regrets selling their 49% of RARE to Microsoft?

Showing 41 to 60 of 89

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RainbowDash

41. Posted:

If Nintendo still owned Rare, Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts -might- have been Banjo Threeie on Wii U and/or 3DS

3DS FC: 4253-3490-5944
Steam: [TTPN] Rainbow Dash
Currently Playing:
Pikmin 2 (Wii)
Punch-Out!! (3DS Virtual Console)
Anticipated games:
Bomb Monkey (3DS eShop)
Paper Mario Sticker Star (3DS)
Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

42. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

Koos wrote:

Nintendo would never give a second thought on any of this. It's like a speck on its grand scheme of things.

[/div]

Ha. You think Rare's classics mean nothing to Nintendo? You really think Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the VC is just a speck? If Nintendo REALLY didn't care, then they wouldn't have had a problem with Rare releasing the n64 Goldeneye on Xbox Live Arcade.

Actuqlly its been reportrd that nintendo isthe reason why goldeneye isnt on the VC.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HiroshiYamauchi

43. Posted:

Guys, the story is very simple to understand: a guy who worked for Nintendo, called Ken Lobb and that was the responsible for monitoring Rare's games for Nintendo, was hired by Microsoft and made their minds to buy Rare and that's what Microsoft did. Nintendo wasn't happy with the direction that Rare took with Conker's game on the Nintendo 64, even refusing to publish it under their name in Europe, which was done by THQ, so they decided to sell their 49% to Microsoft and the rest is just history.

HiroshiYamauchi

AuthorMessage
Avatar

ReleaseTheBears

44. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

DudeSean wrote:

Koos wrote:

Nintendo would never give a second thought on any of this. It's like a speck on its grand scheme of things.

[/div]

[/div]

Ha. You think Rare's classics mean nothing to Nintendo? You really think Goldeneye and Perfect Dark on the VC is just a speck? If Nintendo REALLY didn't care, then they wouldn't have had a problem with Rare releasing the n64 Goldeneye on Xbox Live Arcade.

[/div]

Actuqlly its been reportrd that nintendo isthe reason why goldeneye isnt on the VC.

Isn't it because the 007 License would make the download more expensive?

There's no Disney games on the VC either.

ReleaseTheBears

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

45. Posted:

http://www.1up.com/news/goldeneye-xbla-stall

They coukdnt figure out how much money nintendo would get as there is apart of goldeneye nintendo still owns. I know one of the rumoredd things microsoft put on th table were a one time fee they would pay to nintendo but they would also allow the game to be on VC and nintendo would get money from that.
The xbla portisfinished and just aitting i the rare offices.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DudeSean

46. Posted:

HiroshiYamauchi wrote:

so they decided to sell their 49% to Microsoft and the rest is just history.

Wrong. The Stamper brothers sold their 51% BEFORE Nintendo sold their 49%. Nintendo sold their shares immediately after.

DudeSean

Nintendo Network ID: DudeSean

AuthorMessage
Avatar

HiroshiYamauchi

47. Posted:

DudeSean wrote:

HiroshiYamauchi wrote:

so they decided to sell their 49% to Microsoft and the rest is just history.

[/div]

Wrong. The Stamper brothers sold their 51% BEFORE Nintendo sold their 49%. Nintendo sold their shares immediately after.

In which part of my post i have stated that Nintendo sold their shares before the Stamper brothers?!

HiroshiYamauchi

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WhereEaglesDare

48. Posted:

No way they don't, anyone who says otherwise is lying. Rare wouldn't have fallen apart under Nintendo, or be forced to make horrible sports games [Nintendo itself can do that :P].

WhereEaglesDare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WhereEaglesDare

49. Posted:

As I said in my locked thread :

Fact is Nintendo could snatch back much of the pre-buyout Rare team. Several Banjo-Kazooie [and other] employees are unemployed right now [hard to believe] and working on an independent project of their own. http://twitter.com/MingyJongo
Get the right people and the game takes care of itself.

Could you imagine a 1-2 punch of Retro and Rare?!

WhereEaglesDare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

50. Posted:

BanjoThreeie wrote:

No way they don't, anyone who says otherwise is lying. Rare wouldn't have fallen apart under Nintendo, or be forced to make horrible sports games [Nintendo itself can do that :P].

Rare wasn't exactly making big money for NIntendo when they sold Rare or the years prior, for that manner. The money Rare could potentially make for Nintendo was offset by the money they got from selling Rare. Then, Nintendo could use that money towards other, more profitable business endeavors. Nintendo is a business first and foremost, and from the perspective of what was happening at the time, and what has ocurred from that time, they probably have no regrets at all.

Also, you've got to keep in mind that Microsoft would actually want to sell Rare. You may think the games Rare are putting out suck, but the fact of the matter is that they are making Microsoft some pretty good money.

Also, what would Rare exactly make? Nintendo doesn't own any of their IPs. Since the Stamper Brothers left, there also hasn't been any new IPs by them either.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WhereEaglesDare

51. Posted:

[qoute]Rare wasn't exactly making big money for NIntendo when they sold Rare or the years prior, for that manner.

[/quote]

Of course not, Rare had no games released in 2002, and last released the under-appreciated Conker's Bad Fur Day in early 2001. Star Fox Adventures came out just before the purchase and sold extraordinarily well for a Gamecube game, making Player's Choice in less than a year. The argument you used is horrible and I'm ashamed to say it's the same one Nintendo used back in September 2002. Fact is Rare was in the middle of a development cycle except for a single game, which went on to become one of the Gamecube's best selling games. The Gamecube would have done quite well with Perfect Dark Zero, Donkey Kong Racing, etc. Only being beaten by Microsoft by 1 million units, an impact of a high-profile and gory FPS on the Gamecube might have helped continue to push off the "Kiddie" label Nintendo had at the time [and which Rare was constantly challenging]. Fact is most of Rare was still together in 2002 and Star Fox Adventures turned out amazingly even though it started out as a N64 title. Imagine what Perfect Dark Zero, Donkey Kong Racing, a sequel to DK64, and Banjo-Threeie would have done.

Edited on by WhereEaglesDare

WhereEaglesDare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

52. Posted:

Your argument has some holes.

BanjoThreeie wrote:

Star Fox Adventures came out just before the purchase and sold extraordinarily well for a Gamecube game, making Player's Choice in less than a year...Star Fox Adventures turned out amazingly even though it started out as a N64 title.

The amount of copies sold doesn't really matter if the amount of money put in doesn't cut it. Homefront and LA Noir are perfect examples of this. Any time a system switch happens you've got to put in way more resourses. Also, "amazingly well" isn't how quite a few people saw it, seeing how it abandoned everything that made Star Fox what it was (granted, it makes sense, since it started out as Dinosaur Plantet).

BanjoThreeie wrote:

The Gamecube would have done quite well with Perfect Dark Zero

Considering that Perfect Dark Zero wasn't exactly recieved well, it's pretty hard for me to see your point. It did okay for Microsoft, but the game had a ton of flaws and probably wouldn't have sold too well on the Gamecube. It doesn't matter if there are "adult" games on your system if they aren't that good, especially when Microsoft and Sony just had remarkably better M rated games at the time.

You are using predictions that are too generous to support your reasoning, while NIntendo used facts for their reason to sell Rare. They had a buyer on their hands that wanted what they had, and they decided the pros of selling Rare outweighed the cons.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

53. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

Considering that Perfect Dark Zero wasn't exactly recieved well, it's pretty hard for me to see your point. It did okay for Microsoft, but the game had a ton of flaws and probably wouldn't have sold too well on the Gamecube. It doesn't matter if there are "adult" games on your system if they aren't that good, especially when Microsoft and Sony just had remarkably better M rated games at the time.

yeah because dissappointing sequels to M rated FPSs have never sold well (granted, I think critics generally agreed it was meh, which can actually affect sales)

your other points are at least decently valid though (if far more optimistic about the quality of a game being the key to making money)

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Mickey

54. Posted:

I'm actually one of the few who actually like Microsoft Rare's Games (Viva Pinata,Banjo Kazooie: N&B,Kinect Sports 1 & 2)

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Galaxy Bio (by Dark-Luigi!)

If we've gotten into an argument, it's okay. I'm probably not holding a grudge against you. Why? Because I like you!

I am the cleverest, most talented writer that ever friggin' lived.

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat | Twitter: TheMercuryMouse

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

55. Posted:

I guess so. Without their share of Rare, they can't make a sequel to StarFox Adventures, can they?

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

56. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I guess so. Without their share of Rare, they can't make a sequel to StarFox Adventures, can they?

Uh what? Yes they could. Nintendo still owns the IP to StarFox, and would be well within its rights to commission another developer to produce a sequel.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WhereEaglesDare

57. Posted:

PDZ would have been amazing with the original team, most of them left after Microsoft bought Rare. The sale delayed the games development and the game was eventually completely redone as an Xbox launch title. I have no doubt that a PDZ for Christmas 2003 [or at worst 2004] would have been better for Gamecube sales than Wind Waker. That game would have been awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91NqqblRP58

WhereEaglesDare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kyuubikid213

58. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

I guess so. Without their share of Rare, they can't make a sequel to StarFox Adventures, can they?

Uh what? Yes they could. Nintendo still owns the IP to StarFox, and would be well within its rights to commission another developer to produce a sequel.

Whoops. :| My bad.

Wii Owner, 3DS Owner, Wii U Owner

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I promise to be a mature individual. Request from theblackdragon

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

AuthorMessage
Avatar

moomoo

59. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

moomoo wrote:

Considering that Perfect Dark Zero wasn't exactly recieved well, it's pretty hard for me to see your point. It did okay for Microsoft, but the game had a ton of flaws and probably wouldn't have sold too well on the Gamecube. It doesn't matter if there are "adult" games on your system if they aren't that good, especially when Microsoft and Sony just had remarkably better M rated games at the time.

yeah because dissappointing sequels to M rated FPSs have never sold well (granted, I think critics generally agreed it was meh, which can actually affect sales)

I see where you're coming from, but Perfect Dark wasn't exactly a super successful game in terms of sales figures. Not a ton of people would have bought Perfect Dark Zero on the Gamecube based on brand name alone. This means most potential buyers of the game wouldn't have played the original, so the mediocre review scores definitely would have hurt the sales numbers of the game.

BanjoThreeie wrote:

PDZ would have been amazing with the original team, most of them left after Microsoft bought Rare

You're pulling stuff out of your butt now. Perfect Dark Zero was in the prototyping stages when Nintendo sold Rare, and even then the game was only being made by about 8 people.

BanjoThreeie wrote:

I have no doubt that a PDZ for Christmas 2003 [or at worst 2004] would have been better for Gamecube sales than Wind Waker.

Really? You think PDZ would have sold more than 4.6 million copies despite being a largely unestablished franchise? Sorry man, I don't think anyone would expect that.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WiiUOnly

60. Posted:

If Nintendo had went along with the re-release of GoldenEye, I think it would have cost them dearly. The XBLA version would have been superior to the Virtual Console version in every way, and I'm sure Microsoft would have won over a lot of gamers on that one title alone.

wiiuonly.com
Wii U news and videos
Featured article: If Nintendo bought Rare...