Forums

Topic: Do you consider Nintendo games "outdated"?

Posts 161 to 177 of 177

TheMisterManGuy

TingLz wrote:

How exactly did Youtube benefit them?

People claim it gives their games free advertisement. The problem is, Companies like Sega and Activision have flagged several videos for copyright before. I'm not saying what Nintendo is doing is right, but they're not the only guilty party.

TheMisterManGuy

LzWinky

They are embracing mobile. Is that up-to-date?

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

ZuneTattooGuy

TheMisterManGuy wrote:

kereke12 wrote:

They have no understanding on how Youtube directly benefits them

You do realize Nintendo isn't the only copyright nazi in gaming do you

they never release the most powerful system

Why should they? Yes, they should be able to make a system powerful enough for multiplatform games, but to make the most powerful....? The PS2 wasn't the most powerful system last gen, yet it got the most 3rd party support

and are a gimmick factory (Gamepad, 3D, motion controls)

I'll give you the gamepad, but the 3DS and Wiimote actually have games that justify their existence.

1.) I never said Nintendo is the only people reacting poorly about Let's Play Videos and Reviews of their games.

2.) The PS2 was two generations ago, also I know they don't need to have the craziest specs ever but at least be somewhere in the same ballpark as the other two players. However even without the most powerful hardware they are publishing the best, most polished games.

3.) Many would argue with you that the 3D effect of the 3DS is a gimmick. Out of 20 co-workers 19 of them hate the 3D effect or complain it causes them issues. The Wiimote is a complete gimmick and does not help in gaming, I had to buy four Wiimotes for Mario Party 10, but I mostly play on my Pro Controller.

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

GrailUK

I think Nintendo reacted well to You Tube. Most YouTubers affected are moaning because they can't leech off of a video game company, and most of the argument is self entitlement nonsense. Those videos aren't adverts, they are not bringing something to my attention I wasn't aware of. I would argue those videos are practically sponsored by the games they play! Even worse, a lot of the people featured swearing etc etc which I am sure Nintendo would rather distance themselves from. Anyhoo, some will just have to get proper jobs like the rest of us lol.

Edited on by GrailUK

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

TheMisterManGuy

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

TheMisterManGuy wrote:

kereke12 wrote:

They have no understanding on how Youtube directly benefits them

You do realize Nintendo isn't the only copyright nazi in gaming do you

they never release the most powerful system

Why should they? Yes, they should be able to make a system powerful enough for multiplatform games, but to make the most powerful....? The PS2 wasn't the most powerful system last gen, yet it got the most 3rd party support

and are a gimmick factory (Gamepad, 3D, motion controls)

I'll give you the gamepad, but the 3DS and Wiimote actually have games that justify their existence.

1.) I never said Nintendo is the only people reacting poorly about Let's Play Videos and Reviews of their games.

2.) The PS2 was two generations ago, also I know they don't need to have the craziest specs ever but at least be somewhere in the same ballpark as the other two players. However even without the most powerful hardware they are publishing the best, most polished games.

3.) Many would argue with you that the 3D effect of the 3DS is a gimmick. Out of 20 co-workers 19 of them hate the 3D effect or complain it causes them issues. The Wiimote is a complete gimmick and does not help in gaming, I had to buy four Wiimotes for Mario Party 10, but I mostly play on my Pro Controller.

1.) But Nintendo is the only company people seem to acknowledge doing it

2.) You specificaly said they never make the most powerful system, and act like that was a bad thing

3.) The share button on the PS4 is a gimmick. Your point is?..... A gimmick =/= bad thing, it's just a feature used to stand out. It only becomes a bad thing if adds nothing to the experience. But as we saw with Super Mario 3D Land and Kid Icarus, the 3D is a good gimmick. As for people saying they have issues with 3D, that's more of a limitation with the technology itself, it isn't for everyone. And there are many Wii games that use the Wiimote well. The problem is the amount of shovelware that hides this.

TheMisterManGuy

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Toy: Something to play with
Game: A playful or competitive activity
Activity: Something done for pleasure or entertainment
Tool: A device intended to make a task easier
Instrument: A device used to produce music, also a tool
/discussion

I don't see a difference between Game and Activity. I would call a Game an activity with specific rules laid out before starting. Not all activities have "rules" but games do. Just saying it might help with definitions.

Well except that there are activities that you can do which have "rules" that you wouldn't call games. Things like cooking, knitting and yoga have structure and sets of instructions or directions which are effectively rules. What makes them not "games" is the fact that they're not (usually) competitive or playful.

Cooking, knitting, and yoga have some structure but no rules, in my opinion. They are activities where you are not forced to follow any type of rules to reach an end result, if you are wanting a specific end result then there are instructions to follow. Something being playful doesn't make it a game as there are plenty of things that are playful that aren't games and plenty of things that are games but aren't competitive. In one of my game design classes we talked about what made something a game compared to a video game or just an activity. Games have a rule set that much be followed or it isn't a game (video game's rule sets are normally invisible, the programming that gives the game form) if you rule that games mist be playful or competitive it excludes to much. Some people turn cooking, knitting, or yoga into games but without the rules they are just activities. Defining a game is difficult as you don't want to exclude certain things. But this doesn't have much to do with the topic.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

ZuneTattooGuy

GrailUK wrote:

I think Nintendo reacted well to You Tube. Most YouTubers affected are moaning because they can't leech off of a video game company, and most of the argument is self entitlement nonsense. Those videos aren't adverts, they are not bringing something to my attention I wasn't aware of. I would argue those videos are practically sponsored by the games they play! Even worse, a lot of the people featured swearing etc etc which I am sure Nintendo would rather distance themselves from. Anyhoo, some will just have to get proper jobs like the rest of us lol.

I absolutely agree. To be honest I think Let's Play Videos should get no ad revenue of any kind, they should survive solely on donations from their fans. However Nintendo should allow ad revenue for reviewers. Some Youtube reviewers put a lot of time and effort into their videos and they are not simply slapping an hour of gameplay up unedited.

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

DefHalan

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

GrailUK wrote:

I absolutely agree. To be honest I think Let's Play Videos should get no ad revenue of any kind, they should survive solely on donations from their fans. However Nintendo should allow ad revenue for reviewers. Some Youtube reviewers put a lot of time and effort into their videos and they are not simply slapping an hour of gameplay up unedited.

Sadly YouTube is kind of a all or nothing deal. Atleast morst reviewers have websites they can make money off of.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

No. Games like Pikmin 3, W101, and even DKC: TP and Super Mario 3D World have pushed the bar of what a game can be. Those games seem really simple, but compare W101 to Knack, for example, which is a bit similar of a game, and W101 is actually way more advanced in terms of gameplay, but out dated in terms of graphics, so it can go a variety of ways, including not being outdated or "ahead of the curve".

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is one of the most advanced fighters out there right now, in terms of gameplay. Even if the graphics aren't ultra realistic, which is partially done on purpose anyway, it runs a 1080p at 60FPS with graphics that are still better than what PS3 did, so it still qualifies as 8th generation gaming, which last time I checked, is still up to date

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

HankLangley

Yes

real Italian meatballs are made by real Italian meatball men.

Used to be Doge

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

martinskrtel37

Instead of sooking online so hard, people should go out and make their own video games, instead of wanting to review Nintendo's for free and make money off them. As the poster above said, these people have to suck it up and get a real job and stop writing long e-mails and wasting hard working peoples time.

As for the topic, no, not at all, not in a million years, Nintendo are clearly the only innovators left. But the opening post is quite poor, I mean you're just comparing all Nintendo games to GTA and Skyrim? Lol. What, are they the prototypical "modern day games"? Xenoblade Chronicles X will be nothing like Grand Theft Auto, does that mean it'll be outdated as soon as it comes out?

Edited on by LzWinky

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

-Juice-

I want a true open world 3D Mario game that rethinks platforming like Mario 64 did, with innovative ideas like they had with Super Mario Sunshine. Any Mario game that has an overworld more constricted than Super Mario 64 is automatically outdated and surpassed by its predecessor. Super Mario 3D World is a prime example of this. Instead of having a whole world that you can interact with, you have different little levels (an outdated and archaic system that is barely fun anymore) that you can playthrough that never change from the last time you visit and only have an appeal through replay-ability and nothing new to discover. It also doesn't help that a time limit exists, which is very counter productive to exploring. In the end, I've been waiting for a true successor to Super Mario 64, and one has yet to be released.I hate linearity. It was fine back before we had the hardware with enough power to give us the option NOT to have linear gameplay, but now making every game linear for the sake of it, over and over is just burning my fondness of the Mario franchise wayyy out.

Edited on by -Juice-

3DS Friend Code: 0962-9923-0016

Harry_Legs

The answer of course is NO.

People complain about Nintendo not doing enough new IP but any of the big publishers do. Quite the opposite, the other big publishers try very hard to establish IPs with staying power, quite the way Nintendo aleady has.

If we consider the real big sellers like Call of Duty, Assassins Creed, FIFA and so on Pubs do even less to reinvent their games while still releasing them every year.

There are other things about Nintendo that are outdated or better : weakpoints but their games are simply the best thing about them.

Harry_Legs

Sleepingmudkip

If Nintendo games were outdated then i wouldn't buy them. As you can see I buy a lot of Nintendo games.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

GrailUK

Is Mario 64 outdated? I bought it on VC, 96 stars in and loving it. OMG!!!! If it turns out to be outdated I demand a refund!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

crimsoncavalier

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

GrailUK wrote:

Putting up a game on YT because you love the game and want people to maybe get a look at it before they buy, or just because you want to share a game you love with the world is ok in my book. I've tried to watch some of the bigger names out there, like piepie guy or others of his ilk, and I really want to punch them in the face. Abrasive, loud, obnoxious, annoying, poor attempts at humor ... it's bad.

Putting up a game as a video walk through to the benefit of others is ok in my book as well. Watching someone beat a boss you're having trouble with is a lot easier than reading about it.

Putting up video reviews of games is the third and last acceptable reason to put up a game on YT.

In short, I don't have a problem with it, but only when it's done for the love of the game or for the benefit of the viewer. To complain because a company wants to make sure they get a piece of the action for THEIR CREATION, which you are taking advantage of, is stupid.

At the very least, put some effort into the video.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.