Forums

Topic: Do you consider Nintendo games "outdated"?

Posts 121 to 140 of 177

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

There are no connotations.

That is an incomplete perspective. There are always connotations.

Last I checked it was socially acceptable for adults to watch and play games. And equally ok for adults to have toys of some kind, just not always the same kind of toys that kids would have. Particularly as people have become more affluent and there's time for such things.

There is a stigma attached to video games, for sure. It is "more ok" for someone to be playing with an RC quadcopter, a high end kite or some kind of executive toy than it is to play a video game. But it's eroding and fast. And the fact that there is that stigma there doesn't change the fact that they are still toys.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

the_shpydar

This thread proves, once again just as so many other stupid threads like it before have done, that the only people who are concerned with labels or connotations of what is "childish", are in fact children themselves.

Sigh.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

rallydefault

the_shpydar wrote:

This thread proves, once again just as so many other stupid threads like it before have done, that the only people who are concerned with labels or connotations of what is "childish", are in fact children themselves.

Sigh.

/thread

rallydefault

Whydoievenbother

Haru17 wrote:

Video games are software, amiibo are plastic figures with tacked on shovelware.

Do you even know what shovelware is?

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

HollywoodHogan

MrMario02 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

This?

Untitled

Friend to all SJW's

Haru17

MrMario02 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess the mii racer costumes in Mario Kart are just too high quality to be considered shovelware. /s

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

HollywoodHogan

Haru17 wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Oh, I'm sorry, I guess the mii racer costumes in Mario Kart are just too high quality to be considered shovelware. /s

Not knowing the definition of shovelware confirmed!

Friend to all SJW's

SuperWiiU

Haru17 wrote:

MrMario02 wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

Amiibo's aren't tacked on with any software. They can only store a few settings.

Edited on by SuperWiiU

Haru17

SuperWiiU wrote:

Amiibo's aren't tacked on with any software. They can only store a few settings.

I know how they work, but that doesn't make the amiibo DLC any less pathetic. Regardless of certain quips buzzing around here, like so many gnats.

DefHalan

skywake wrote:

Toy: Something to play with
Game: A playful or competitive activity
Activity: Something done for pleasure or entertainment
Tool: A device intended to make a task easier
Instrument: A device used to produce music, also a tool

/discussion

I don't see a difference between Game and Activity. I would call a Game an activity with specific rules laid out before starting. Not all activities have "rules" but games do. Just saying it might help with definitions.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LzWinky

Haru17 wrote:

SuperWiiU wrote:

I know how they work, but that doesn't make the amiibo DLC any less pathetic. Regardless of certain quips buzzing around here, like so many gnats.

How can you hate this face?

Untitled

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

U wot M8?

Untitled

It has those evil Sonic eyes!

Edited on by Haru17

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

skywake wrote:

Toy: Something to play with
Game: A playful or competitive activity
Activity: Something done for pleasure or entertainment
Tool: A device intended to make a task easier
Instrument: A device used to produce music, also a tool
/discussion

I don't see a difference between Game and Activity. I would call a Game an activity with specific rules laid out before starting. Not all activities have "rules" but games do. Just saying it might help with definitions.

Well except that there are activities that you can do which have "rules" that you wouldn't call games. Things like cooking, knitting and yoga have structure and sets of instructions or directions which are effectively rules. What makes them not "games" is the fact that they're not (usually) competitive or playful.

Haru17

Definitions are stupid m8. If someone calls it art, it's art. If someone calls it a game, it's a game. If someone calls a piece of software a video game, it's a video game.

kkslider5552000

This thread is a killer app, but unfortunately Haru's camping abilities mean I can't cloud gaming reply. Can you guys suggest a n00b way to FOV this thread so I can 1-UP my stream level up rogue-like respawn point?

GAMING TERMINOLOGY!1111!! (excuse me while I set dictionaries on fire!)

...tl;dr so I don't know who I'm making fun of actually. But it doesn't matter.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Definitions are stupid m8. If someone calls it art, it's art. If someone calls it a game, it's a game. If someone calls a piece of software a video game, it's a video game.

What a game is and what is "art" are entirely beside the point. That's a whole other can of worms and frankly I don't care. All I was saying was that video games are toys. Toys are a thing which you play with, games are an activity which is playful or competitive. It's not complicated and your only counter-point is that games are "too adult" to be toys. Rubbish. Games are toys that enable gaming in the same way that an RC plane is a toy that enables piloting RC planes.

And I'm only being this dry about it because I think your Amiibo whine has a blind spot.
"Publicly traded toy company sells toy, makes money, have they gone too far? More at 11"

Edited on by skywake

kereke12

No, I consider Nintendo themselves outdated....

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

CaviarMeths

Dictionary Trench War: Day 3

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

CaviarMeths wrote:

Dictionary Trench War: Day 3

"Day 3: They're relentless. Google sent a nice new set of definitions our way but our opponents starting to argue that language is fluid. We don't have much to counter that, they're partially correct but that road is one we neither of us want to take. We're starting to run out of variations on the same argument. Both sides have suffered major casualties. The troops are getting weary, morale in the thread is basically dead. Our current plan is to simply outlast them but I don't know how much longer we can hold out. I wish I'd never signed up in the first place"

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

@Pahvi I'm not sure I fully get what you're trying to say. Do you have an example of what you're talking about?

Anyway, I think there's a lot more room for innovation (and freedom, generally) in the 3D space than there is for 2D, especially for long-running series. I mean, you can always make a good sequel (gameplay-wise) to any game, but generally 3D grants a lot more freedom, while 2D grants simplicity (or limits, depending on your perspective).

I'd love to see more good 2D games, especially beautiful pixel art or otherwise 2D art-based games. You just can't do that kind of art in 3D games where the camera moves freely. I'd love to see more games like the Minish Cap, Muramasa, and Ori that can harness that style and still deliver sufficiently complex gameplay mechanics. Still, though, those games are made to be very simple simply because they are 2D.

I mean, for as grindy as the Mystery Dungeon games are, the 2D pixel art on their friend areas is amazing:

Untitled

Like, come on now!

Edited on by Haru17

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.