Forums

Topic: Do you consider Nintendo games "outdated"?

Posts 101 to 120 of 177

skywake

@Haru17
I thought you were complaining that I called Nintendo a toy company? Now you also have an issue with the word "game"? We have to describe it as software-based entertainment? Really? Also "toy" does tend to suggest that the thing is for kids but not all "toys" are kids. Just please, if anyone under-age is reading this, don't google "adult toys"... you'll find things far less appropriate for children than even CoD.... also you'll find CODs....

It's just a shame that kids these days like Haru seem to think games like CoD ARE a COD. It's only when you get older that you'll realise that using CoD as a COD makes you look like a kid. Not really the intention I would think. CoD is a kids COD, very much a toy.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

'Game' is a bad name for software-based entertainment. It's childish connotation is not appropriate to all, nor even most games.

They're games. It's OK for adults to play and have fun. They've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. There's nothing childish about it.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

skywake wrote:

@Haru17
I thought you were complaining that I called Nintendo a toy company? Now you also have an issue with the word "game"? We have to describe it as software-based entertainment? Really? Also "toy" does tend to suggest that the thing is for kids but not all "toys" are kids. Just please, if anyone under-age is reading this, don't google "adult toys"... you'll find things far less appropriate for children than even CoD.... also you'll find CODs....

It's just a shame that kids these days like Haru seem to think games like CoD ARE a COD. It's only when you get older that you'll realise that using CoD as a COD makes you look like a kid. Not really the intention I would think. CoD is a kids COD, very much a toy.

Will you cut that acronym crap out? Speak plainly.

And when you are truly mature you'll 'realize' that insulting people via age is a truly immature and illogical thing to do.

Edited on by Haru17

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

'Game' is a bad name for software-based entertainment. It's childish connotation is not appropriate to all, nor even most games.

They're games. It's OK for adults to play and have fun. They've been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years. There's nothing childish about it.

Most games nowadays aren't childish, yet the childish connotations to the words 'play' or 'game' remain. That's how language works. As such they're not very representative terms for the medium ('toy' is even worse). 'Interactive entertainment' is more accurate to what games are; the breadth of the medium.

skywake

Haru17 wrote:

Will you cut that acronym crap out? Speak plainly.

Would you rather I change the post? So that instead of:
"Using CoD as a COD makes you look like a kid."

It said:
"Using games such as Call of Duty as a codpiece makes you look very immature"

.... doesn't quite have the same ring to it

Haru17 wrote:

And when you truly mature you'll 'realize' that insulting people via age is a truly immature and illogical thing to do.

I wasn't "insulting" people based on their "age". I was simply stating the fact that games are toys, they're things you play with. And that people who try to use games as a way to show their "manhood" are kidding themselves. You're in your late teens, I get it, it's very much the mindset. And some people never grow out of it. But IMO being an adult is about growing out of that phase of trying to proove to everyone you're an "adult". It's about being ok with making a fool out of yourself, enjoying the "wrong" content and so on. When you're a dude, maturity is that point where you understand why your Dad made "Dad jokes" and was constantly embarrassing you.

Games are Toys. End of story. Pretending they're not makes you look like a kid. There is nothing insulting or illogical about this at all. If you bring a lady friend over and try to impress them with your "mature" collection of games? You're not going to get far.

Edited on by skywake

LzWinky

Haru17 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

This isn't about whether amiibo are worth it for me or not; they're not, I have enough physical things already. I'm speaking on the ethics of these products.

That's exactly what annoys me about this! Everything about amiibo seems to just lead into buying another game or another amiibo. It's this obnoxious money sink that never ends. It all just feels so manipulative to me.

I'll bite.

I'm spending $13 on a collectible statue. Then I spend $100s on games that I'll play and enjoy. Oh hey look, I get bonuses for having both. What a deal!

Then Nintendo/retailer has $213 that you don't. See how that worked out?

I really enjoy how you word your posts. Lemme strike back now.

I spent $213 on toys and games that I will use. Hey, using your logic and wording here, just don't spend money ever. That way you'll have money and nothing else.

I work for that money and I use it on products that I want to buy. If you have some problem, then continue to post, but you won't get sympathy from me.

Edited on by LzWinky

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Haru17

The plight of the earth is man.

Edited on by Haru17

CaviarMeths

Haru17 wrote:

Most games nowadays aren't childish, yet the childish connotations to the words 'play' or 'game' remain. That's how language works. As such they're not very representative terms for the medium ('toy' is even worse). 'Interactive entertainment' is more accurate to what games are; the breadth of the medium.

That just sounds like insecurity. There's nothing inherently childish about playing games. Some people play games for a living and make millions of dollars doing it. Pro athletes are generally not children.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

I spent $213 on toys and games that I will use. Hey, using your logic and wording here, just don't spend money ever. That way you'll have money and nothing else.

Well, worth is an subjective concept, so I'm not going to tell you what you should/shouldn't spend your money on. I still think amiibo are manipulative, though.

LzWinky

Whoa now. I don't mind discussing posts, but let's not go into the "maturity" discussion like this.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

skywake

I suggest stopping here before things get ugly -Lz

Edited on by LzWinky

LzWinky

Haru17 wrote:

TingLz wrote:

Well, worth is an subjective concept, so I'm not going to tell you what you should/shouldn't spend your money on. I still think amiibo are manipulative, though.

They are. I can't argue with that. I like my cross-eyed Diddy Kong. He's the best purchase of all time!

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Haru17 wrote:

That just sounds like insecurity. There's nothing inherently childish about playing games. Some people play games for a living and make millions of dollars doing it. Pro athletes are generally not children.

Personally, I don't care what you (the general, hypothetical 'you') think of me. Still, I don't think there is anything inherently childish about playing games. However, the term 'game' doesn't accurately reflect that reality.

Edited on by Haru17

LzWinky

Eh, there is some perception that gaming is childish, especially Nintendo.

Haru17

TingLz wrote:

Eh, there is some perception that gaming is childish, especially Nintendo.

That was my point. That, despite it being an inaccurate notion, the term 'video game' carries the connotation of all 'video games' being childish.

skywake

Kinda hard to discuss this topic any further without talking about what is for "kids" and what isn't. All I can say further on the topic is that toys suggest that the thing is "for kids" but don't rule out things that are not for kids or that adults can't enjoy them. It's like animated movies, most animated movies are directed at kids to the point where it's almost shorthand for "kids movie". But that doesn't mean that adults can't enjoy them or that there are some animated movies you wouldn't show to kids.

Video games aren't just "for kids", I never once in this thread argued that they were. All I've said is that by any measure of what they are you can reasonably describe them as toys. They exist for no other reason than for us to interact with them in a way that is fun. That's precisely what a toy is. I have an RC Quadcopter that I think of as a toy. When I boot up Captain Toad and move him around what is effectively a 3D ball maze? That's also a toy. So the whine on the other page, that Nintendo shouldn't be "making toys"? It's stupid, because they are a company that makes toys and fun little games. They have done for over a hundred years.

CaviarMeths

Games are just a thing that humans do and have always done. There are no connotations. Nobody gets into work in the morning and asks their coworker if they "saw the recreational activity last night."

skywake

Toy: Something to play with
Game: A playful or competitive activity
Activity: Something done for pleasure or entertainment
Tool: A device intended to make a task easier
Instrument: A device used to produce music, also a tool

/discussion

Edited on by skywake

Haru17

CaviarMeths wrote:

Nobody gets into work in the morning and asks their coworker if they "saw the recreational activity last night."

Perhaps.

CaviarMeths wrote:

There are no connotations.

That is an incomplete perspective. There are always connotations.

LzWinky

I'll vouch for Haru on this one. I remember being ridiculed in high school for liking Nintendo. Good thing I didn't give a damn then

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.