Wii U Forum

Topic: Do gamers even know why they dislike Nintendo ?

Showing 141 to 160 of 214

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

141. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

FPS started off good with Doom, Quake, Exhumed/PowerSlave, Duke Nukem then became a ugly cancerous growth on the industry after the GCN, PS2 & Xbox1 gen ;)

So true...

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

142. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

Oh no, too many fps games. Heaven forbid there is demand for a genre the elitists on this site deem unworthy.

Elitists... right...

So your complaint is that a subset of a community is looking down at a genre they dislike and making up unflattering stereotypes. Which is fine and all good but then you go on to look down on a set of genres you dislike and create unflattering stereotypes. Now Nintendo fans are "elitists". Fantastic.

Pot calling the kettle black.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DualWielding

143. Posted:

I don't like FPS, but there seems to be some misconception here that Xbox and Playstation are all about first person shooters and Nintendo has variety of genres, actually the other plataforms due to their third party support offer greater number of games in almost every genre except party games and plataformers which Nintendo dominate, Fighting Games, RPGs of any type (j, western, strategy, action), sport simulation games, ect. The problem of the Wii U (unlike the 3DS) is that because of lack of third party supports it just doesn't have enough games and the games they have lack variety because nintendo simply does not produce games in every genre.

DualWielding

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

144. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

Oh no, too many fps games. Heaven forbid there is demand for a genre the elitists on this site deem unworthy.

Replace fps with nearly any other genre, and people here would be perfectly content. Too many platformers? Yay, people on this site love jumping on things!

Shooting things though? Sometimes with a story even? That's for mentally perturbed individuals, bringing down gaming as we know it. Why can't the masses just share our refined taste and enjoy endless Mario and Zelda games? /cries

And since I can envision the future, this is not a direct response to the individual responsible for the previous post, so don't worry about explaining how you're just expressing your innermost thoughts and feelings. This is more of a rant directed towards the anti-FPS mentality throughout this forum. As if the genre is inherently bad and everyone here is too good to enjoy those games.

Rants are great, keep them a coming; but don't expect results. Maybe catharsis!

I'm not going to read through all the comments leading up to this, but clearly stereotypes are being tackled left and right, even as new ones take their place. With some minor tweaking we could all get behind these words to berate any collective fandom.

Soapbox: FPS games are easy to hate because they are prevalent / vaunted as a genre, and also (I'm going to stereotype) require a different mentality of the player than other genres. Guns and violence are divisive, M ratings are divisive, even the first person perspective can be off-putting. It's a whole can of worms.

Meaning... there are many valid points to be presented for either side; to bring about any conclusion requires a patient ear, not a sharp tongue.

Edited on by OptometristLime

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BandG

145. Posted:

Why do Nintendo fanboys hate FPS'? Who put it into their mind that FPS=BAD. Now I'm saying most, not all Nintendo fanboys think this (obviously not me). What is so bad about First Person Shooters? Have you even played one recently? They think every FPS is Battlefield or CoD, when in reality that only makes up for a percentage of them. Some are really great in fact I am a huge HUGE Nintendo fan, but my favorite game of all time is a FPS, on another system. You might be thinking, how does that work? Well you are allowed to like genres that aren't on Nintendo systems. And you really should try something before putting it down. If you still don't like FPS' then that's okay, but I'm not going to blame you like you have others who do like them, and you can't deny they aren't just generic, pieces of crap that just fly out of Sony and Microsoft's company. You think that all Sony has is shooters, check again. People just have this huge misconception that shooters are a disease.

Edited on by BandG

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

146. Posted:

BandG wrote:

Why do Nintendo fanboys hate FPS'? Who put it into their mind that FPS=BAD. Now I'm saying most, not all Nintendo fanboys think this (obviously not me). What is so bad about First Person Shooters? Have you even played one recently? They think every FPS is Battlefield or CoD, when in reality that only makes up for a percentage of them. Some are really great in fact I am a huge HUGE Nintendo fan, but my favorite game of all time is a FPS, on another system. You might be thinking, how does that work? Well you are allowed to like genres that aren't on Nintendo systems. And you really should try something before putting it down. If you still don't like FPS' then that's okay, but I'm not going to blame you like you have others who do like them, and you can't deny they aren't just generic, pieces of crap that just fly out of Sony and Microsoft's company. You think that all Sony has is shooters, check again. People just have this huge misconception that shooters are a disease.

the problem is that the most popular FPS games are normally too similar to each other I mean I don't dislike FPS' but it would be great if there where more crazy and different ones like TF2, you know it's different just by looking you feel it's different by playing a few seconds and if you dislike it it doesn't mean you hate 90%(or more) of the genre.
and microsoft has more shooters than sony I really wanted to play most of sony's exclusives but sony is the most expensive of the three here where I live and microsoft never really interested me so I stick with nintendo!

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

V8_Ninja

147. Posted:

The reason for the average (Xbox/PS/Nintendo) player's ignorance probably has a lot to do with the fact that (A); people don't have infinite money, (B); people like using easily-understood stereotypes, and (C); video games are a lot like sports in that their fans are over-passionate and hyper-competitive when they should really just take a chill-pill.

Also, on that whole FPS issue; I can definitely see why people are averse to FPS games, at least in their cultural significance. For the past half-decade hobbyists and businessmen have pushed FPS games to become the new poster-children of the video game industry. From an uninformed consumer's perspective, it looks like video games are all about shooting people and nothing else. For a market that's still growing in comparison to things like music and film, having such a homogenized market is not good. As for the quality of FPS games, it all depends on the individual. I'm not going to say that COD is terrible because I haven't played any of the recent games in the series, but I will say that I disliked Uncharted because I felt it was slow and did not engage me mentally or physically. The third game fixed that to an extent, but not to the extent I would have liked. As for my FPS preferences, I do really love my Serious Sam and I've been engrossing myself in Borderlands 2.

Thanks given to Xkhaoz for that one avatar.
Please contact me before using my custom avatar!
A (Former) Reviewer for Digitally Downloaded.net
My Backloggery, My Anime List, and My Blog
You can email me here.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

148. Posted:

@V8_Ninja, what a wonderful post. Your 3 reasons are spot on - a brilliant and accurate analysis. B is especially true about many things in life.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

149. Posted:

I'm just going to jump into this FPS debate here. I don't think that all that many Nintendo fans (myself included) really 'hate' the FPS genre. Some of the finest games ever made (in my opinion, of course... well, and in the opinion of many critics) are the Metroid Prime games. I've heard "First Person Adventure" tossed around, but all in all, it's inarguable (to an extent), that it's an FPS. You control Samus in first person, have control over your movement, and shoot things. Such is the basic definition of a first person shooter.
Now, I don't know many Nintendo fans that dislike the Metroid Prime games. I don't think that Nintendo fans take issue with the genre itself. FPS games can be very well done. We know this. However, our issue is that the genre is dominated by largely uninspired and wholly similar games that, despite being made by completely separate developers, could pass as if they were all made by one company. I have a lot of friends who are PS fans, and I've seen their collection of games. About 85% of them are first person shooters - sometimes more. The other 15% is a mish-mash of sports games, third person shooters, fighting games, and a couple racing games.
Of course, I know that obviously not all non-Nintendo gamers have a collection that consists mainly of first person shooters, but you have to admit that a very large amount of them do. This wouldn't be an issue if so many of them weren't frankly so uninspired. Of course, this is just an opinion, but from what I've played, I haven't been very impressed. I went through about six or seven FPS games in one day at a friends house, sampling the local multiplayer in each, and I swear each time it just felt like the first. You'd pick your gun, spawn, and spend however long the match was running around shooting at whatever moved near you. That's about all we did. It grew tiresome after forty minutes or so, but it was that or some random uber-realistic racing game that I didn't care about, so I stuck with the shooters.
What I've concluded is that Nintendo fans don't truly hate the FPS genre, they just dislike the lack of diversity between games. To us, it's as if every FPS revolves around the military (COD, Battlefield, Medal of Honour) or killing a billion alien soldiers (Halo, Gears of War, Resistance). Of course that's fallacious and untrue, but you have to admit that it seems that way, since these games appear to be the most popular. There are obvious exceptions to that idea (I've heard only good things about the Bioshock games, and I've played a bit of the Borderland games and I really like the unconventional setting and the fantastic art style), but they get overshadowed by their carbon-clone seeming counterparts.
Say what you will about how Nintendo releases "the same game over and over" (I disagree, but that's irrelevant) with each installment in their series, but the different series themselves are generally extremely diverse. We've got very different platformers like Mario, Kirby, and Donkey Kong, action adventure games like the Legend of Zelda, RPGs like Pokemon, Tactical Strategy games like Fire Emblem, on rail shooters in the form of Star Fox, Nintendo's take on the RTS genre in Pikmin, et cetera. The fact is, Nintendo gamers are used to an immense variety in terms of genre choice, and even variety within each genre. We look at these games that are popular on other systems, and notice that a vast majority have the same graphical style, same objectives, same controls, same point of view, similar stories, and an almost identical multiplayer mode, and think, "How are these games popular"? We simply can't comprehend the idea that games made by different developers could reek of this much similarity. Yes, our Mario games seem similar, but in between a Mario game we can play some Zelda, some Pikmin, and some Animal Crossing, all very different games, so when we come back to the next Mario game it's a relatively fresh experience. We see other gamers (not all of them, of course, but many) play some Call of Duty, followed by Battlefield, followed by Crysis, followed by Killzone, followed by another Call of Duty. There is little diversity between each game, so in our minds, it seems that doing the same thing over and over in games for over a year - in this case, shooting stuff with a gun - would grow stale over time. We don't want this to happen to us, and from our lack of understanding, we grow to dislike these FPS clones that see a steady release of, especially since they often receive decent reviews and an absurd amount of sales.
Well, that's my opinion on the matter. No doubt somebody will say, "Nuh UH, Battlefield and Call of Duty are SO not the same", to which I say, are they more different than Zelda and Kirby, Metroid and Mario? Anyways, thanks for reading this post. I know it got a little lengthy.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

150. Posted:

@Captain_Balko You're completely right!

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

151. Posted:

skywake wrote:

Elitists... right...

So your complaint is that a subset of a community is looking down at a genre they dislike and making up unflattering stereotypes. Which is fine and all good but then you go on to look down on a set of genres you dislike and create unflattering stereotypes. Now Nintendo fans are "elitists". Fantastic.

Pot calling the kettle black.

lol which genres have I criticized here? Quote the exact part so I can see for my very own eyes.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

152. Posted:

ferthepoet wrote:

I don't like FPS, but there seems to be some misconception here that Xbox and Playstation are all about first person shooters and Nintendo has variety of genres, actually the other plataforms due to their third party support offer greater number of games in almost every genre except party games and plataformers which Nintendo dominate, Fighting Games, RPGs of any type (j, western, strategy, action), sport simulation games, ect. The problem of the Wii U (unlike the 3DS) is that because of lack of third party supports it just doesn't have enough games and the games they have lack variety because nintendo simply does not produce games in every genre.

This is correct, but will largely go ignored

If you want variety, only purchasing a Nintendo console is generally your worst option.

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

153. Posted:

GustavoSF wrote:

the problem is that the most popular FPS games are normally too similar to each other

Like every other genre?

I always wonder where the idea comes from that only FPS games are similar. What largely diverse genres are out there, where most games don't share the same core concept and mechanic?

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

154. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

GustavoSF wrote:

the problem is that the most popular FPS games are normally too similar to each other

Like every other genre?

I always wonder where the idea comes from that only FPS games are similar. What largely diverse genres are out there, where most games don't share the same core concept and mechanic?

I know it most game genres are full of copies around everywhere I sure know and I like some of them... I just think FPS' would be better with different settings I really dislike the way they try to make it more serious. it sucks away the fun of a game where most of the players don't even care for the story(you have to admit it in POPULAR FPS' most of the players just want the multiplayer). I don't know. maybe I just dislike the way it all resumes to sniping. I'm just tired of snipers. there's no way to run away or you become a sniper or you die for running in the open. it is boring to see the only choices are "be a good sniper" or "lose the game" it feels limited....

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

155. Posted:

Well jumping in now on the FPS front.. I will be honest.. I have not touched a FPS since the N64 and perfect Dark.. after that they all seem to be just generic copies of each other.. except now you get squads.. Oh my... but I don't think Nintendo fans hate FPS.. I think they get tired of all the people from other systems rolling their eyes and saying.. ugh.. just another Mario.. I am so sick of Mario... Nintendo fans are like.. Ugh just another FPS.. I am so sick of another FPS..or I am tired of you complaining Nintendo only has Mario...so I will point out most of what your system has to offer is FPS..as pointed out it really is the pot calling the kettle black.. cause frankly most of the games the other fans show off is FPS and uses them as a means of rubbing it into a Nintendo's fans face.. and saying see this is the awesomeness your missing... (Though yes.. when you look at it in that way.. maybe you could understand why some Nintendo fans have grown to hate the genre over the years)... But I don't think Nintendo fans by and large actually hate the genre.. I think they are sick of the way fanboys use the genre..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

156. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

ferthepoet wrote:

I don't like FPS, but there seems to be some misconception here that Xbox and Playstation are all about first person shooters and Nintendo has variety of genres, actually the other plataforms due to their third party support offer greater number of games in almost every genre except party games and plataformers which Nintendo dominate, Fighting Games, RPGs of any type (j, western, strategy, action), sport simulation games, ect. The problem of the Wii U (unlike the 3DS) is that because of lack of third party supports it just doesn't have enough games and the games they have lack variety because nintendo simply does not produce games in every genre.

This is correct, but will largely go ignored

If you want variety, only purchasing a Nintendo console is generally your worst option.

I don't believe that this is correct. I'd believe you if you said that PC gamers have a far larger variety (because this is true), but I think it's arguable that PS and Xbox have the same options in terms of genre variety as Nintendo. Nintendo has got platformers, RPGs, RTSs, FPSs, TPSs, fighting games, racing games, puzzle games, life simulators, tactical strategy games, action games, rhythm games, minigame collections, survival horror, et cetera. I'm not saying that PS and Xbox don't also have those genres, because they do, but they are mostly overshadowed by generic FPSs. But they don't have MORE genre choices either, I'd say that all consoles are about equal (although MAYBE Xbox might have even less choices than the other two).

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

157. Posted:

GustavoSF wrote:

I know it most game genres are full of copies around everywhere I sure know and I like some of them... I just think FPS' would be better with different settings I really dislike the way they try to make it more serious. it sucks away the fun of a game where most of the players don't even care for the story(you have to admit it in POPULAR FPS' most of the players just want the multiplayer). I don't know. maybe I just dislike the way it all resumes to sniping. I'm just tired of snipers. there's no way to run away or you become a sniper or you die for running in the open. it is boring to see the only choices are "be a good sniper" or "lose the game" it feels limited....

What you just described was Call of Duty. Now, I know that was the first game that came to your mind (it's just that good), but there are plenty of others out there. You should play more of them.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Relias

158. Posted:

Chrono_Crossing wrote:

GustavoSF wrote:

I know it most game genres are full of copies around everywhere I sure know and I like some of them... I just think FPS' would be better with different settings I really dislike the way they try to make it more serious. it sucks away the fun of a game where most of the players don't even care for the story(you have to admit it in POPULAR FPS' most of the players just want the multiplayer). I don't know. maybe I just dislike the way it all resumes to sniping. I'm just tired of snipers. there's no way to run away or you become a sniper or you die for running in the open. it is boring to see the only choices are "be a good sniper" or "lose the game" it feels limited....

What you just described was Call of Duty. Now, I know that was the first game that came to your mind (it's just that good), but there are plenty of others out there. You should play more of them.

Nope sorry pretty good example of just about any FPS.. though I will admit from what I have watched you can maybe chance to go out and about.. of course if you do.. it's probably more than likely someone went for a chopper or something.. and will blow you away anyway.. so actually most FPS comes down to about two different scenarios.. unless your the unlucky one that happened to get the flag.. or get dumped by your lonesome protecting the hill or something like that..

I am a wild and free Ninetails not a trainer.. get over it...

3DS Friend Code: 4570-6835-5697

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

159. Posted:

Relias wrote:

Well jumping in now on the FPS front.. I will be honest.. I have not touched a FPS since the N64 and perfect Dark.. after that they all seem to be just generic copies of each other.. except now you get squads.. Oh my... but I don't think Nintendo fans hate FPS.. I think they get tired of all the people from other systems rolling their eyes and saying.. ugh.. just another Mario.. I am so sick of Mario... Nintendo fans are like.. Ugh just another FPS.. I am so sick of another FPS..or I am tired of you complaining Nintendo only has Mario...so I will point out most of what your system has to offer is FPS..as pointed out it really is the pot calling the kettle black.. cause frankly most of the games the other fans show off is FPS and uses them as a means of rubbing it into a Nintendo's fans face.. and saying see this is the awesomeness your missing... (Though yes.. when you look at it in that way.. maybe you could understand why some Nintendo fans have grown to hate the genre over the years)... But I don't think Nintendo fans by and large actually hate the genre.. I think they are sick of the way fanboys use the genre..

just to see if the FPS fight stops. what you said made me realize something Nintendo haters always use the mario excuse, this is very strange because MANY nintendo fans don't even like mario(I know most of them do but the number of nintendo fans that dislike mario is considerable) and the ones who like don't even talk much about mario exactly to avoid the haters' "you only have mario"-talk, no one uses mario as an advantage point anymore just to see if haters will stop it too. but it doesn't...

looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!
All the lights in the sky are stars
running away from reality is betraying yourself and those who care about you

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

160. Posted:

The real question here is.
"Do Nintendo gamers even know why they hate other games, that are not Nintendo?"

Untitled

Edited on by LordJumpMad

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

Sorry, this topic has been locked.