Forums

Topic: Do gamers even know why they dislike Nintendo ?

Posts 121 to 140 of 214

BandG

I'm 15, I own every Nintendo system dating back to the NES. I love Nintendo, Gamecube was my first system, and it is my favorite. I will never stop loving Nintendo and all their franchises. I always defend them when the chance comes up, some of my friends even want Wii U's because of me. But, I also own a PS3, and a Vita, and I feel that is one of the most important aspects of being a gamer, owning another system that isn't Nintendo. I was a Nintendo fanboy that just agreed with everything Nintendo did until I got a PS3. It helps you understand what Nintendo is doing wrong, and what Sony/Microsoft is doing wrong. (I do hate COD still) Also there are so many fantastic first and third party games that I never would have experienced, and genres that I never would have given a chance if it weren't for some of the free games I got from Playstation plus. People really need to give other systems a chance so they can see both sides of the story, because if you don't know both sides how can you criticize either? I don't hate people that don't know, and I still value their opinions, but I fell that everyone should give another system a chance even if it's an original Xbox in 5 years from now.

Edited on by BandG

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

MAB

You mean the XBOX one

MAB

BandG

hah yah I almost put that

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

World

@Captain_Balko Yeah, I never thought I'd be the "feminist issues" kid, but it just seems to make sense. And I say "masculine bias," because most of the people I know who play games are girls and they're just as bad with declaring the gritty stuff as AAA without really thinking about it that much.

World

AlexSays

So many great ideas being tossed around in this thread

• people that don't like Nintendo aren't mature enough
  • people that don't like Nintendo have masculinity issues
  • people that don't like Nintendo have mommy issues and were likely abused as a child

Basically everyone that doesn't like Nintendo has some sort of mental issue and only likes games with shooting and blood. Nice to see people throw around stereotypes while living up to their own lol

AlexSays

micronean

The console gaming audience has a lot more mature/sophisticated tastes these days (though I don't mean their own level of maturity). A lot of games tackle adult issues, emotional complexities, social problems, drugs, etc. Nintendo's software stays clear of that, and it's a double edged sword for them because it makes them look behind the times.

Also the fact that many popular titles of this generation (say, like, the Bioshocks, the Gears of War, etc.) don't appear on Nintendo consoles definitely hurts them. But, when it comes to this new generation, I'll be curious what the trend will be, as the x86 architecture that every game will use is going to give PC gaming a major boost over the xbox and PS4. I get the feeling that gaming trends are going to change this generation.

Edited on by micronean

micronean

CanisWolfred

micronean wrote:

I get the feeling that gaming trends are going to change this generation.

I hope so. I'm tired of the Gaming=Shooting stereotype that this generation has so thoroughly reinforced this generation...

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Midnight3DS

AlexSays wrote:

So many great ideas being tossed around in this thread

• people that don't like Nintendo aren't mature enough
  • people that don't like Nintendo have masculinity issues
  • people that don't like Nintendo have mommy issues and were likely abused as a child

Basically everyone that doesn't like Nintendo has some sort of mental issue and only likes games with shooting and blood. Nice to see people throw around stereotypes while living up to their own lol

Basically. I would say not everyone cares for Mario and Zelda, but there's no deep philosophy in that.

3DS Friend Code: 5129-0855-7142 ID = Midnight

AC:NL Mayor Jambo, town of Hamneggs

skywake

I'd like to throw a different idea out there, that gaming is all about taste. It's really easy and a bit pathetic for people to run around saying that certain people have bad taste in the way it's usually used. That the "gaming hipsters" turn their nose up at people who play just CoD or those "casuals" who play Angry Birds or Wii Sports and little else. That the "hardcore" turn their nose up at games with bright colours because it's "gay".

I think there is such a thing as good and bad taste but it's a slightly different sort of thing. A bit more like the way a food critic would have "good taste", they know what to look for and what makes something interesting or not. You can have "good gaming taste" and still play little else but Angry Birds, Wii Sports or CoD. You'll just understand what is good about those games and be able to know what separates the quality versions of games in that style from the shovelware.

If someone has a different taste in games it doesn't mean that their taste is "bad". It might just mean that you have each sampled different styles of game.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Gamer83

'Gamers' don't dislike Nintendo. There's reasons why myself and other gamers haven't gotten a Wii U yet but it isn't because of a dislike for the company that makes it. I grew up on with an NES so my gaming roots go back to Nintendo, there's no way I could dislike it given all the fond memories I have. The only people who truly don't like Nintendo are Sony and MS fanboys and well, like Nintendo fanboys who constantly bash the other two companies, those types of people are idiots who should be ignored when trying to have a real gaming discussion.

Edited on by Gamer83

Gamer83

World

@AlexSays While I agree with you that there's a lot of bias flying around (no doubt related to it being a Nintendo fan site), I wasn't necessarily saying people who don't like Nintendo have "masculinity issues." I think what I was trying to get across was that, since Nintendo doesn't make that many masculine-skewing (again, this has nothing to do with men necessarily, just masculinity) games, they are considered lesser-than because they don't always do that artistically. I wasn't even talking about violence, just that "gritty" art-style that makes everyone scream "Triple-A!" without even really thinking about what they're saying.

It's not that it's just Nintendo. You see this in movies too. It's far easier for some life-of-crime movie to crack into the Oscars than it is for, say, a romantic comedy. It happens obviously, but I was just throwing it out that masculine presentation is valued more than any other artistic style. Any company that doesn't go in for it will feel the effects (note: Capcom all-but-giving up Mega Man for Monster Hunter and Resident Evil).

It's just business, but I still think that's part of the reason. If you don't court the status quo, you get somewhat left behind.

Edited on by World

World

GuSolarFlare

I think people who don't like nintendo fall in one of four categories:
1-Those who simply aren't "compatible" with nintendo games(people have different tastes after all);
2-those who never tried playing nintendo games(it's like when a kid says it hates a food without ever trying to eat it);
3-those who feel forced to change for some reason(like friends pressuring because "it's not cool" or feeling they have "grow up" just because nintendo has less M rated games);
4-hardware maniacs(not much to say, this group does have a point but it's nintendo we're talking about software is their strong point, weaker hardware can't stop nintendo that easily);

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Ibrahim77X

BandG wrote:

I'm 15, I own every Nintendo system dating back to the NES. I love Nintendo, Gamecube was my first system, and it is my favorite. I will never stop loving Nintendo and all their franchises. I always defend them when the chance comes up, some of my friends even want Wii U's because of me. But, I also own a PS3, and a Vita, and I feel that is one of the most important aspects of being a gamer, owning another system that isn't Nintendo. I was a Nintendo fanboy that just agreed with everything Nintendo did until I got a PS3. It helps you understand what Nintendo is doing wrong, and what Sony/Microsoft is doing wrong. (I do hate COD still) Also there are so many fantastic first and third party games that I never would have experienced, and genres that I never would have given a chance if it weren't for some of the free games I got from Playstation plus. People really need to give other systems a chance so they can see both sides of the story, because if you don't know both sides how can you criticize either? I don't hate people that don't know, and I still value their opinions, but I fell that everyone should give another system a chance even if it's an original Xbox in 5 years from now.

You're absolutely right. Nintendo is my favorite, but that doesn't mean I think it does NOTHING wrong (Virtual Boy). I do enjoy the Xbox and PS, but I too hate CoD, and I'll only buy Nintendo consoles just because of the exclusive, fun, creative games you won't find anywhere else.

Kirby / Toon Link / Dr. Mario / Ice Climbers / Squirtle / Lucas

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0355-2503 | Nintendo Network ID: Ibrahim77X | Twitter:

Ibrahim77X

CanisWolfred wrote:

micronean wrote:

I hope so. I'm tired of the Gaming=Shooting stereotype that this generation has so thoroughly reinforced this generation...

Same here. I missed the simpler times where everyone played Nintendo.

Kirby / Toon Link / Dr. Mario / Ice Climbers / Squirtle / Lucas

3DS Friend Code: 1977-0355-2503 | Nintendo Network ID: Ibrahim77X | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

Ibrahim77 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

micronean wrote:

Same here. I missed the simpler times where everyone played Nintendo.

...That wasn't what I meant at all. I was envisioning a time when more styles of play, regardless of company, becomes seen more as the norm. I don't care what it is - It could be lollipop-licking games for all I know - so long as people are thinking more outside the box we've been trapped in for over 7 years.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

LzWinky

I at least have a good reason to dislike Sony. I had a very lousy experience with my PS2, PS3, and their customer service. Though my feelings have calmed down as of late

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

JohninMotion

CanisWolfred wrote:

micronean wrote:

Did you see the E3 announcements? Almost everything seemed to be some breed of first/third person shooter. That's why I came back to NintendoLand. I'm tired of what Sony and Microsoft are offering and I am not throwing any more money into their systems. Lately I've been playing my SNES more than my Xbox 360 and I recently bought a Wii just for giggles and I'm having a blast with all the games and controller. Now I'm going to sell my Xbox 360 and get a Wii U.

I was one of those people who didn't give the latest Nintendo consoles a chance because I thought they were too kiddy, but now I crave their uniqueness. Its strange how things turn out.

Nintendo Network ID: Johninmotion

Twitter:

AlexSays

Oh no, too many fps games. Heaven forbid there is demand for a genre the elitists on this site deem unworthy.

Replace fps with nearly any other genre, and people here would be perfectly content. Too many platformers? Yay, people on this site love jumping on things!

Shooting things though? Sometimes with a story even? That's for mentally perturbed individuals, bringing down gaming as we know it. Why can't the masses just share our refined taste and enjoy endless Mario and Zelda games? /cries

And since I can envision the future, this is not a direct response to the individual responsible for the previous post, so don't worry about explaining how you're just expressing your innermost thoughts and feelings. This is more of a rant directed towards the anti-FPS mentality throughout this forum. As if the genre is inherently bad and everyone here is too good to enjoy those games.

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

brooks83

JohninMotion wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

micronean wrote:

Did you see the E3 announcements? Almost everything seemed to be some breed of first/third person shooter. That's why I came back to NintendoLand. I'm tired of what Sony and Microsoft are offering and I am not throwing any more money into their systems. Lately I've been playing my SNES more than my Xbox 360 and I recently bought a Wii just for giggles and I'm having a blast with all the games and controller. Now I'm going to sell my Xbox 360 and get a Wii U.

I was one of those people who didn't give the latest Nintendo consoles a chance because I thought they were too kiddy, but now I crave their uniqueness. Its strange how things turn out.

So why did you buy a 360 in the first place? For the FPS games?

brooks83

MAB

FPS started off good with Doom, Quake, Exhumed/PowerSlave, Duke Nukem then became a ugly cancerous growth on the industry after the GCN, PS2 & Xbox1 gen

MAB

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.