Wii U Forum

Topic: Do gamers even know why they dislike Nintendo ?

Showing 101 to 120 of 214

AuthorMessage
Avatar

8BitSamurai

101. Posted:

DePapier wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

No offense, but, No. PS All-Stars is actually a very high-quality game in the league of Smash Bros., and I expect that if they keep at the quality, it could easily rival it.

Wow... I'm genuinely surprised... :O
I won't forget you once Smash U comes out, 8BitSamurai. We'll need to battle it out online on the game once it's released: I hope you've played Smash since the first one on the N64. :D

Bring it on! This pixelated dood never backs down from a challenge... :P

Official "rare download" assistant
Best YT show here!
Currently playing: Phantasy Star II, No More Heroes, Persona 2: IS, Ys 1
Recently beat: Final Fight, Spec Ops TL, King of Dragons
Favorite games: Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Dragon Quest VIII, Tales of the Abyss

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DePapier

102. Posted:

8BitSamurai wrote:

DePapier wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

No offense, but, No. PS All-Stars is actually a very high-quality game in the league of Smash Bros., and I expect that if they keep at the quality, it could easily rival it.

Wow... I'm genuinely surprised... :O
I won't forget you once Smash U comes out, 8BitSamurai. We'll need to battle it out online on the game once it's released: I hope you've played Smash since the first one on the N64. :D

Bring it on! This pixelated dood never backs down from a challenge... :P

Hellz'yeah!! :D I'll add you on Miiverse. :)

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Luther
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/Therlu

http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/01/15/f-zero-wii-u-lets-dream-it/
http://www.notenoughshaders.com/2013/07/01/opinion-a-suggestion-for-a-wii-u-pricing-restructure/

3DS Friend Code: 4468-2063-9396 | Nintendo Network ID: Luther

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Metaknight_3Raw

103. Posted:

I'm more interested to know why a lot of developers seem to. if not dislike, have some problem with Nintendo. I read some of the comments above which seem to suggest the problems are deep-rooted and go back to the SNES days but surely they are not irreparable. I'm truly interested because a lot of games just skip Wii U out like it doesn't exist. I think their are a lot of different reasons:

  • Bad relationships with third parties which go back a long way.
  • Hardware is too "weak" or at least that was touted as the reason why Kingdoms Hearts 3 didn't mae it to Wii U.

Haha I thought I had a lot of reasons but I'm not sure what else :P

Edited on by Metaknight_3Raw

Metaknight_3Raw

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Warruz

104. Posted:

Gamers like most consumers are always looking for the best deal. The Thing with nintendo is unlike Playstation or Xbox which has some exclusives and lots of third party support, with nintendo you are trading third party support for strong first party support. You want the console with the best spread available and you also want the console all your friends have to play together (this of course not being a problem in my day with no online till much later).

Check out my Video Game Podcast / Website - Pauseyourgame.com
Series of articles dealing with ways to improve Wii U Marketing - http://pauseyourgame.com/2013/10/what-nintendo-wii-u-need-to-do-part-1/

Twitter: Warruz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kingston589

105. Posted:

Wow I'm only 14 and i have just about every nintendo console and handheld (just missing the virtual boy) and while i do play cod once in a while I still know what nintendo is and bought a wii u launch date. Why everyone has to single out young gamers and say they dont know anthing and all they do is play cod 2 billion and gears of war: bloody mess.

600+ games and counting.
Youtube: PlatTheFormer

Nintendo Network ID: kingston589

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Zidentia

106. Posted:

i am antique. I started on the great granddaddy of them all. The Odyssey and then the "Pong"

Zidentia

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PorllM

107. Posted:

kingston589 wrote:

Wow I'm only 14 and i have just about every nintendo console and handheld (just missing the virtual boy) and while i do play cod once in a while I still know what nintendo is and bought a wii u launch date. Why everyone has to single out young gamers and say they dont know anthing and all they do is play cod 2 billion and gears of war: bloody mess.

You have no idea how happy you just made me

PorllM

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

108. Posted:

Klimbatize wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

comparing one of my favorite Zelda titles (despite its blatant fanservice) to PLEASE GIVE US MONEY WE HAVE MARIO annoys me

It's interesting how when it's a franchise we like, more of the same is called "fan service" and we enjoy the familiarity, and if it's a franchise we don't like it's "unoriginal" and just a cash grab.

Not really and especially in this case. Midna as a character and the scale of Hyrule in Twilight Princess was something truly fantastic. Making a game thats major fault is that it's brown and too much like OoT is hardly the worst thing in the world. The New SMB series however, despite the fact that I have all of them, is basically the same game with new levels four times in a row. It's like the difference between an artist who releases an album with the same sound and an artist who releases an album with what sounds like the same songs.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

109. Posted:

@skywake are you comparing the game industry to these guys again ;)
Untitled

MAB

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Caryslan

110. Posted:

dumedum wrote:

skywake wrote:

The difference between Smash Bros and the Sony clone of Smash Bros is that Nintendo's characters all kinda fit into the same style. There are exceptions but most of the characters in Smash Bros are from the same handful of minds. It's hard to explain but I think there's something to that idea. Plus the fact that Nintendo's characters are very, very well known.

All true, plus the fact that Smash Bros. is a great game and the clone is, well, a crappy clone.

I still don't understand why people call PSABR a clone of Smash Brothers. While there are some similarities to Smash, the overall gameplay has a different feel from Smash Brothers. The first, and key thing is the fact that KOs are not caused by knocking the opponent off the stage. The only way to score knockouts(besides one item in the game) is to hit the opponent with a Super. This introduces a totally different gameplay concept from Smash Brothers. While Smash is focused on building up your oppoent's damage and looking for chances to knock them off the stage. PSABR focuses on building up a super meter and picking the best times to use it. Do you go for a quick kill with a Level 1? or do you try to save for a Level 3 Super and go for KOs that might be more guaranteed?

This is my issue with people who call PSABR a clone. How can it be a clone if the gameplay is different overall? There are some similar mechanics, but here's my question. Are we going to call every 2-D fighter a Street Fighter clone? Or how about 3-D fighters that might have used some ideas from Virtua Fighter?

While I still think Smash Bros is still better overall, PSABR was not the horrible game that people make it out to be. I thought it was a fun fighter that had some cool ideas. Maybe a better character roster could have helped, and it is rough around the edges at times, but it's not a shameless ripoff.

That, and I still believe people running around the internet calling it a clone doomed the game before it ever came out, and clouded people's impressions that all Sony did was create a second-rate Smash Bros clone. And I'm not stupid, the two series do share some common elements. But overall, it has a totally different feel from Smash.

I think PSABR was a good game that got killed by people calling it a clone of Smash. I think if the game had been allowed to stand on its own merits, and not be trashed in such a fashion, it might have done better. It's not a game that will knock Smash off its throne anytime soon, but it is still a good game especially for a first effort.

Edited on by Caryslan

Caryslan

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chrono_Cross

111. Posted:

PorllM wrote:

kingston589 wrote:

Wow I'm only 14 and i have just about every nintendo console and handheld (just missing the virtual boy) and while i do play cod once in a while I still know what nintendo is and bought a wii u launch date. Why everyone has to single out young gamers and say they dont know anthing and all they do is play cod 2 billion and gears of war: bloody mess.

You have no idea how happy you just made me

Yes, knowing some kid defies the stereotype Nintendo fans cast onto younger gamers brought a tear to my eye, too.

lol jk

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

112. Posted:

Yeah, why younger gamers. I see kids with 3DSes all the time!

Granted they were playing Pokemon TCG....

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

113. Posted:

@Caryslan
I played the beta when that was out. It was OK, but I think Super Smash Bros. style is better. It's more open. PSASBR was a very closed game. You had to target players more directly.

I was beating beta testers like nothing(most of the time), because I play Smash Bros. pretty regularly, and I was able to figure out how the characters moves worked pretty quickly.

The characters just don't appeal as much, IMO. Overall, the characters controlled almost identical in both titles. There were some elements not found in either one, but I prefer Smash Bros. because I think it gives players more freedom, and there's alot more variety going on with items, characters, and stages.

We were talking about the characters of each company BTW. It's just easier to see how they compare when there's 2 games from separate companies that have all the characters there.

EDIT: I think PS tried to match Nintendo on a similar front right from the get go, but I could tell that Smash Bros has improved so much over the years content wise, character wise, etc. The only way I see PSASBR matching Smash Bros., is if they made another title, but I heard that wasn't going to happen, because of poor sales.
Nintendo has 13 years on Sony regarding their mash-up fighting game.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

114. Posted:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

@skywake are you comparing the game industry to these guys again ;)

Well last time it wasn't about the quality of the art. It was about how the "distribution costs" argument for the "Australia tax" are very weak when they can sell CDs for <$20AU. If you can sell a CD that cheaply and make a profit you don't have to sell games that go for $50 in the US for $100AU.

.... but yeah, Empire of the Sun is more New SMB 2 than Twilight Princess or Portal ;)

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

115. Posted:

Do gamers even know it's Christmas?

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Warruz

116. Posted:

kingston589 wrote:

Wow I'm only 14 and i have just about every nintendo console and handheld (just missing the virtual boy) and while i do play cod once in a while I still know what nintendo is and bought a wii u launch date. Why everyone has to single out young gamers and say they dont know anthing and all they do is play cod 2 billion and gears of war: bloody mess.

Always outliers to the majority , but for the majority it is true.

Check out my Video Game Podcast / Website - Pauseyourgame.com
Series of articles dealing with ways to improve Wii U Marketing - http://pauseyourgame.com/2013/10/what-nintendo-wii-u-need-to-do-part-1/

Twitter: Warruz

AuthorMessage
Avatar

swordx

117. Posted:

kingston589 wrote:

Wow I'm only 14 and i have just about every nintendo console and handheld (just missing the virtual boy) and while i do play cod once in a while I still know what nintendo is and bought a wii u launch date. Why everyone has to single out young gamers and say they dont know anthing and all they do is play cod 2 billion and gears of war: bloody mess.

Same for me, except I don't play new COD games, and I don't have a SNES.

swordx

AuthorMessage
Avatar

World

118. Posted:

Since I'm lucky enough to have quite a few family and friends who love chatting about games, I always annoy everyone at barbeques by claiming that Nintendo's ever-growing bad reputation is, in part, accidentally a feminist issue. Sure it's much more complicated than that, but it's not just me trolling everyone in real-life. I really feel like masculine (not male) bias is a lot of it. This idea that the only legitimate art (and it isn't just video games that suffer this problem) is that which is gritty and violent because it's somehow more "real" than that which is not.

Even though "gritty" is an artistic style just as much as "fluffy" is an artistic style.

Nintendo is just unlucky enough to not be into selling games of this type. Thus, on some level they are considered somewhat "lesser" than those that do. And most gamers couldn't tell you why because, well, this isn't the sort of discussion that really happens outside of a classroom, unless you have a relative who is annoying at barbeques.

Edited on by World

World

AuthorMessage
Avatar

BandG

119. Posted:

I agree completely that a lot of other gamers hate Nintendo with no reason. But you must admit there are many Nintendo gamers that hate Sony and/or Microsoft for no reason.

Edited on by BandG

Super Smash Bros. Can't Wait!

Nintendo Network ID: Waterwraith

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

120. Posted:

World wrote:

Since I'm lucky enough to have quite a few family and friends who love chatting about games, I always annoy everyone at barbeques by claiming that Nintendo's ever-growing bad reputation is, in part, accidentally a feminist issue. Sure it's much more complicated than that, but it's not just me trolling everyone in real-life. I really feel like masculine (not male) bias is a lot of it. This idea that the only legitimate art (and it isn't just video games that suffer this problem) is that which is gritty and violent because it's somehow more "real" than that which is not.

Even though "gritty" is an artistic style just as much as "fluffy" is an artistic style.

Nintendo is just unlucky enough to not be into selling games of this type. Thus, on some level they are considered somewhat "lesser" than those that do. And most gamers couldn't tell you why because, well, this isn't the sort of discussion that really happens outside of a classroom, unless you have a relative who is annoying at barbeques.

When I saw "feminist issue", I was a little flummoxed to say the least. However, your argument makes perfect sense if you think about it. Many gamers are immature and want to project a "macho" vibe from the games that they play. In their minds, playing a Nintendo game is akin to watching romantic comedies. The argument that much of the hate is generated due to males not seeing Nintendo games as "masculine" and ergo disliking them is surprisingly apt.

Captain_Balko

Sorry, this topic has been locked.