Forums

Topic: Disney can save Nintendo, and it would only cost $19 billion (Article)

Posts 101 to 105 of 105

dumedum

@skywake again I got to disagree. For Disney, these Nintendo properties will be huge. They are recognizable all over the world and they translate well to various media, including TV, movies and the parks, and above all, merchandise. It's a no brainer for Disney. It was much more of a stretch to go for Marvel or Star Wars which can be less family friendly yet they did it. The Mushroom Kingdom is right there. Wreck it Ralph style also supports it.

For Nintendo, it has nothing to do with being a startup or not. It's about money, which is always welcome. I know from first hand experience the stock has been doing quite badly for years. It could go downward still. An offer that has a significant premium is something a Board of Directors has to consider, and it is in the best interest of the shareholders. In fact, under U.S. law at least, it might be illegal for them not to accept a really good offer, because you have to consider the good of the shareholders. So if Disney makes an approach, this could happen. I don't think they would - it is too much money also for Disney but maybe down the road, and then again, it is intricate because of Japanese law and culture, so not likely, but it is and can be a lucrative offer for both parties.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

skywake

@dumedum
The difference with Marvel and Star Wars is that they can go and immediately make movies out of it which isn't something which can be done with Nintendo's IP. Its not like Nintendo's IP hasn't been turned into movies before, none of which have been particularly successful. Infact the only time Nintendo's IP has been successful on film is with Pokemon and that's not a franchise that would have worked with western animators. I stand by the belief that the only way Nintendo's IP could be turned successfully into film would be if Nintendo had the final say and it was done by a Japanese studio.

On the merch and amusement park stuff... you're kidding right? Not about the Nintendo stuff but about the idea that Marvel and Star Wars don't "fit" as much as Nintendo's IP does. Star Wars in particular is probably the most profitable IP in that space by a country mile. More than Mickey and Mario combined you could argue. So the idea that Nintendo's IP, which is pretty much only that, would be a good fit? Sorry, no, it needs to be more than that. Nintendo's IP would be a huge risk for Disney to take on in the way that Disney would want to.

With the financial stuff? Sure, if they put in a crazy offer then I'm sure it would be worth considering. However Nintendo is more valuable to Nintendo than it is to Disney. Unless Disney seriously miscalculated or unless Nintendo was on the verge of bankruptcy it would always be a bad move for Nintendo to be brought out.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

shingi_70

skywake wrote:

@dumedum
The difference with Marvel and Star Wars is that they can go and immediately make movies out of it which isn't something which can be done with Nintendo's IP. Its not like Nintendo's IP hasn't been turned into movies before, none of which have been particularly successful. Infact the only time Nintendo's IP has been successful on film is with Pokemon and that's not a franchise that would have worked with western animators. I stand by the belief that the only way Nintendo's IP could be turned successfully into film would be if Nintendo had the final say and it was done by a Japanese studio.

On the merch and amusement park stuff... you're kidding right? Not about the Nintendo stuff but about the idea that Marvel and Star Wars don't "fit" as much as Nintendo's IP does. Star Wars in particular is probably the most profitable IP in that space by a country mile. More than Mickey and Mario combined you could argue. So the idea that Nintendo's IP, which is pretty much only that, would be a good fit? Sorry, no, it needs to be more than that. Nintendo's IP would be a huge risk for Disney to take on in the way that Disney would want to.

With the financial stuff? Sure, if they put in a crazy offer then I'm sure it would be worth considering. However Nintendo is more valuable to Nintendo than it is to Disney. Unless Disney seriously miscalculated or unless Nintendo was on the verge of bankruptcy it would always be a bad move for Nintendo to be brought out.

To the Point Disney acquisitions of Marvel and Star Wars was mostly based on the fact that the company didn't have many major brands that appealed to the older subset of boys. For the most part they covered girls of all age ranges and had properties for smaller boys but nothing for the 9-teen category. Its apart of the reason why Hasbro is being rumored to be the next big disney purchase.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

StitchScout

DON'T FORGET THE SEATTLE MARINES ARE PART OF NINTENDO TOO! SO YOU COULD HAVE MARIO DOLL WEARING A SHIRT WITH MICKEY ON IT!

StitchScout

dumedum

@skywake - not sure I understand where you're coming from. Rides based on Nintendo properties will be huge. Animation movies based on Mario, Zelda, Samus etc on TV or film will be huge. It will all be huge for Disney. In many ways, looking at sales of games and brand recognition, Mario is even more popular in the West than in Japan, and so is Zelda.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.