Forums

Topic: Digital or Retail?

Posts 101 to 113 of 113

spizzamarozzi

I always go with retail releases if I'm given the choice. I don't see myself taking care of a hard drive for ages (I would drop it or if I don't my cats would, no doubt). Plus I don't like the idea of being stuck with a game if I don't like it. I appreciate the concept of digital distribution and admire people who go digital, but dealing with the physical stuff is way easier and safer for me.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

rallydefault

You guys are hilarious. I own Xbox One, PC, Wii U, and 3DS - Nintendo's "online system" (and I'm starting to think most of you really have no clue what that VERY broad term even applies to) is NOT archaic in the least, and every game I have on my Wii U aside from Nintendoland is digital.

The finer (read: funny) part of any internet debate is that most people involved in the debate don't even have first-hand experience with the subject of the matter, and are arguing purely from theoretical standpoints. I'll go ahead and make a statement: if we would take the "what age are you?" thread in this forum and use that as a general representation of the people on this forum, we would find that many of us are actually out of college and 20 years or older. Ok, so then I have news for you: Nintendo's "online system" is perfectly fine for you. Admit it: aside from one or twice a year on blue moons on a Wednesday, you do NOT extensively travel with your Wii U, and you do NOT commonly find yourself in situations where you just wish and wish that you could sign into a friend's Wii U with your ID. Admit it. It just doesn't happen as often as you want people to believe. 99% of the time when you play your Wii U, you are sitting on your couch, in your house, with yourself and maybe your significant other, to sit down and enjoy playing a game. And for that, Nintendo's "online system" is just as robust, easy-to-use, stable, and accessible as everybody else's.

Everyone will disagree with me, because that's what you do and that what is expected of you, but you know that these words are true for more of you than you will ever let on.

rallydefault

ultraraichu

rallydefault wrote:

You guys are hilarious. I own Xbox One, PC, Wii U, and 3DS - Nintendo's "online system" (and I'm starting to think most of you really have no clue what that VERY broad term even applies to) is NOT archaic in the least, and every game I have on my Wii U aside from Nintendoland is digital.

The finer (read: funny) part of any internet debate is that most people involved in the debate don't even have first-hand experience with the subject of the matter, and are arguing purely from theoretical standpoints. I'll go ahead and make a statement: if we would take the "what age are you?" thread in this forum and use that as a general representation of the people on this forum, we would find that many of us are actually out of college and 20 years or older. Ok, so then I have news for you: Nintendo's "online system" is perfectly fine for you. Admit it: aside from one or twice a year on blue moons on a Wednesday, you do NOT extensively travel with your Wii U, and you do NOT commonly find yourself in situations where you just wish and wish that you could sign into a friend's Wii U with your ID. Admit it. It just doesn't happen as often as you want people to believe. 99% of the time when you play your Wii U, you are sitting on your couch, in your house, with yourself and maybe your significant other, to sit down and enjoy playing a game. And for that, Nintendo's "online system" is just as robust, easy-to-use, stable, and accessible as everybody else's.

Everyone will disagree with me, because that's what you do and that what is expected of you, but you know that these words are true for more of you than you will ever let on.

No arguments with that concept since I live it and observe it. For as long as I remember, I never lost a home system or handheld, but I had games that were lost, stolen, "borrowed" and damaged to the point of being unplayable, not by me of course . Hence one of the reason I prefer digital. Also I don't know anyone with a Wii U so I can complain about the online and traveling with a harddrive with more then 15 retail games with the system and accessories is more easier for me to pack and manage then the physical versions.

Weird coincidence, I am traveling out of state with my Wii U which happens rarely like 1-2 times a year for 2 weeks and my flight is Wednesday, 2 weeks from now. Freaky.

A dying animal struggles, thrashes and howls in protest as its life torn from it. To see this in action, watch Animal Planet. The same thing happens when a video game is or isn't released. To see this in action, stay here.

Switch Friend Code: Sw-6105-4873-7122 | 3DS Friend Code: 1848-1733-3257 | My Nintendo: Ultraraichu | Nintendo Network ID: ultraraichu

miiandmario

rallydefault wrote:

I pretty much agree. I never travel with my wii u and I'm the only one i know in real life who owns a wii u. I have an xbone and xbox 360 and those are systems that i do travel with and all my friends play and come over and sign in. The wii u is a solo console for me and many others.

Switch FC: 6433-7682-7412
3DS FC: 2852-9290-8506
Wii U Name: MiiandMario

smirg

rallydefault wrote:

I wonder if your attitude towards Nintendo's online system would change if you ever have to replace your Wii U or 3DS. That's one of the biggest complaints people have. That's a real scenario that people experience especially with the 3DS since it's portable and more prone to breaking or being stolen. Companies like Steam/Apple/Google/etc have set the bar. People expect it's just like replacing a smartphone or installing the Steam client on a new PC. That is, all you have to do is login to the new device/client and re-download everything without having to even make a phone call. Not providing that same level of service makes Nintendo look pretty darn archaic to me.

Edited on by smirg

smirg

Hy8ogen

Retail. Awalys. Nothing feels nicer to have the game in your hand. Not only that, retail copies usually sell for less than the eshop and you can trade in the games when you finish them or don't want it anymore. Not to mention you can swap games with homies? I find no reason to go digital downloads other than trying to please @MAB

Edited on by Hy8ogen

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

MikeLove

rallydefault wrote:

Admit it: aside from one or twice a year on blue moons on a Wednesday, you do NOT extensively travel with your Wii U, and you do NOT commonly find yourself in situations where you just wish and wish that you could sign into a friend's Wii U with your ID. Admit it. It just doesn't happen as often as you want people to believe. 99% of the time when you play your Wii U, you are sitting on your couch, in your house, with yourself and maybe your significant other, to sit down and enjoy playing a game. And for that, Nintendo's "online system" is just as robust, easy-to-use, stable, and accessible as everybody else's.

I pay for home insurance and car insurance each month, even though the likelihood of my house burning down or me being in a serious car accident are quite small. I do this because it is better to be covered, ensuring if something does happen, I will be taken care of.

I would much rather Nintendo have an online account system that would allow me to easily and instantly reobtain any software I have purchased if something happens to either my 3DS or Wii-U and they need to be replaced, but at this time that is impossible. Instead, I would be forced to either send my console in to Nintendo, make phone calls to their tech support or file a police report (if it was stolen) to get access to downloadable software I have bought previously.

I had a 360 that died. I was able to get a new one, and that same day and download all my XBL games back onto the new console with no headaches, and without dealing with a middle man. Did I care about having a unified account before that? Not really. But I'm sure glad there was one when that happened.

I can only hope that your Wii-U and 3DS both break one day, and that I am there to stand over your quivering body as you sob uncontrollably in the fetal position and I can lean over and whisper softly into your ear 'LOL'.

MikeLove

Eel

Lol since when are video games as important as your own life?

You need to be very special if losing a simple game console can make you go sobbing uncontrollably in fetal position.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

8BitSamurai

Morphbug wrote:

I don't see where he said that? I think he was exaggerating for effect.

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

Hy8ogen

Morphbug wrote:

You need to be very special if losing a simple game console can make you go sobbing uncontrollably in fetal position.

Untitled

Nintendo fan since 6 years of age.
Owned: SNES, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, 3DS, Wii U, PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4 and PSP3000.

3DS Friend Code: 5472-8085-9073 | Nintendo Network ID: kkloveit

SkywardLink98

brewsky wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Fun fact: If you need to contact Nintendo to get your games back, it isn't a modern account system a la Steam, PSN, XBL.

Fun fact: No one cares.

Fun fact: I care.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

R_Champ

SkywardLink98 wrote:

brewsky wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Fun fact: If you need to contact Nintendo to get your games back, it isn't a modern account system a la Steam, PSN, XBL.

Fun fact: No one cares.

Fun fact: I care.

Fun fact: I don't care...yet...lol.

On topic though: I go both digital and retail. If a game is amazing/I want a physical object in my collection then I'll get a retail copy (I'll buy Xenoblade Chronicles X, for example). But if there is an amazing digital sale on a game I'm on the fence on, then I'll definitely snag a digital version of a game.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

PloXyZeRO

I like boxes, but I've made the transition to 100% digital
I take my Wii U with me to friend's houses a lot, and I have very limited space on a motorcycle, so I can't just carry boxes around with me all the time, lol
It's so much more convenient to have everything on a hard drive I could just slip into my pocket, toss my Wii U into my backpack, and I'm good to go.

Also, digital deluxe points, automatically having games registered with Club Nintendo, etc.
The benefits are so great!

The only thing that I don't like is that I can't sell any games I download, and it'll be near impossible to sell my Wii U for a reasonable price unless Nintendo FINALLY ties downloads to NNIDs and not the console itself...

MrSRArter wrote:

Nintendo is rich while Detroit is bankrupt. They could use Detroit make a real Nintendo Land theme park.

3DS Friend Code: 3325-2132-3153 | Nintendo Network ID: PloXyZeRO | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.