Wii U Forum

Topic: current gen or next gen

Showing 201 to 220 of 262

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

201. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

As for Nintendo, the games will look the same on a 4K TV as they would on a 1080p HDTV for the most part. The upconversion process in the displays only fill in pixels between where there is nothing more to be seen.
So, Wii U will still look like it runs native on 4K, much like the dolphin emulator they used for Wii. The content is the same, the resolution is the only change.
The 4K TV is doing the processing, not the Wii U.

I'm sorry, but there can never be any chance for the Wii U games to look like native 4K resolution.

When a television does an upconversion from some source such as a game console, it processes ONLY the signal/image-buffer from the device by upscaling that buffer image. So while it "guesses" new details for the sake of filling in missing details for the upscaled image, it simply can't add new details from nothing. So the results are usually blurred images.

As for the Dolphin emulator, it doesn't upscale the image buffer. Rather, it uses the host computer's GPU to force render 3D scenes at any native resolution permitted provided that computer GPU can handle it. Conclusion: a computer's GPU makes it possible to modify the native resolution of an emulated game. And keep in mind that rendering =/= upscaling.

A television upscaler cannot make 480p/1080p game footage look native resolution. To do so would require the television to have a GPU that's somehow magically linked to a game console's main RAM and CPU.

That's all I wanted to say :3

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

202. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

This is the way I categorize the consoles in terms of graphical out put.
...<PS2<GCN/Xbox<Wii<Xbox 360/PS3<Wii U<PS4/Xbox∞

I don't think anyone here saying anything that is disagreeing with that. I'm not sure I'd put the XBox and Gamecube on par but where it matters I really don't disagree. The argument is about how or small big your '<' is.

I would argue that it's much closer to: Wii < 360/PS3/Wii U < PS4/720
Than this: Wii < 360/PS3 < Wii U/PS4/720

As for your massive acquired knowledge of technology some of your claims are simply false and you refuse to take it back. For instance your point about the PS4/720 being able to run games in 4K and that being their only advantage is provably false. For a start I quoted Shuhei Yoshida directly stating that there is no possibility of their games running in 4K. Something I tend to agree with given it's rumoured GPU class and how well that class of GPU works with multi-monitor gaming setups.

With your "we've hit the wall" argument I think it's worth remembering that PC games at 1080p still look better than what the Wii U has done so far. Again I repeat what I've said numerous times in this thread, it remains to be seen how the public react. Whether they care about "post HD" visuals or if they really do think that 360/PS3 level visuals are enough. My gut says they will be interested but maybe not as much as some would hope.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

203. Posted:

If 4K is, and won't be relevant, then I'm claiming industrial failure right now.
There is no reason it shouldn't work the way I describe. The upscaler only assigns pixels to what is there. The 4K upconversion should divide the pixels by 4 if it's in 1080p, then reassign each of those individual pixels to an appropriate location.
If it doesn't work that way, then 4K is even more pointless than I originally thought.
I saw 4K being displayed at the Sony Store, and it looks like a 1080p TV that looks a little fuzzy, so I was presuming it was upscaled 1080p. It just blows up the image to the higher res, but the pixels still act individually.
I'm still sticking with Xbox∞ and PS4 doing native 2K or 4K.
If they don't the next gen consoles paired with 4K is a pointless venture, and all of the progress suposedly made with technology was in vein.

EDIT: @skywake
That's why I categorized the Wii U in EXACTLY the middle of last and other next gen consoles. This isn't Dreamcast in between N64 and PS2 here. If the console race would have been PS2 vs. Dreamcast, Sega would still be making hardware. Xbox killed Sega, not PS2. Nintendo has proven time and time again that DVD playback means nothing for game consoles. You might be asking, "How is this relevant?" Even Dreamcast would have ended up playing DVDs, which GCN had no chance of doing.
Wii U will be the Dreamcast between N64 and PS2 theoretically, the next Xbox will be an incremental improvement between PS2 and GCN which never existed. PS4 will end up being in between Xbox Infinity and Wii U. Or, it could be described as N64 equals Xbox 360 and PS3, Dreamcast equals Wii U, and PS2 equals PS4/Xbox∞. We can look at the history combined with new knowledge to see how things will play out. Nintendo is reviving Sega and adding new controls(defined as next gen, much like DS), and Xbox is pushing forward to new ground for hardware in consoles. The only one repeating history is PS4, which is why I'm not interested, at it is the most likely to fail, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 is the console that ends up dropping out like Sega and goes software, then teaming up with Xbox.
Nintendo builds a house on stable ground, while Sony builds a castle on sand.
I think very literally, which is why PS4 is actually the console that will be as far back as 2 generations behind, conceptually, and 1 generation behind in controller technology.
Move made little impact because Nintendo beat them by 2 years(motion plus), 4 if you count the original Wii remote, and their new camera for move is essentially Kinect 1.0.
Xbox is already moving on to Kinect 2.0.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

204. Posted:

Is Kinect 2.0 even really a thing? I've found a million rumors on it, but nothing official...

In fact, I'm heavily convinced you've been putting far too much stock in the rumor mill lately. Just saying.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

banacheck

205. Posted:

The only one repeating history is PS4.

I hope thats true, the PS4 sells more numbers than any other console is history, aka PS2 let history repeat itself.

banacheck

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

206. Posted:

banacheck wrote:

The only one repeating history is PS4.

I hope thats true, the PS4 sells more numbers than any other console is history, aka PS2 let history repeat itself.

You shouldn't wish this. The situation is different, which would mean it WON'T be as successful as PS2. Repeating history at all gives signs they aren't actually doing anything new anymore.

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

207. Posted:

Last I checked. selling about as well as the PS2 means they're doing something incredibly right...

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Prove it. Give me an article that provides indesputeable proof of a Kinect 2.0. Because I seriously can't find any.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

208. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Last I checked. selling about as well as the PS2 means they're doing something incredibly right...

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Prove it. Give me an article that provides indesputeable proof of a Kinect 2.0. Because I seriously can't find any.

I don't have any proof. I just figured they were. I swear I read an article somewhere that stated the dev kits or something had enhanced motion reading that wouldn't be possible in Kinect 1.0.
BTW, I'm not skeptic and tend to figure things out myself by reading between the lines if all the info isn't in my face.
You don't have to believe me. I'm sure it's happening, though.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Tainy

209. Posted:

The 8th generation consoles will not be the generation to transition into 4K. 4K will remain an incredibly expensive niche product for at least two or three years, and will take additional years to establish an install base that justifies making a console based on the standard. The PlayStation 4 and next Xbox might be capable of 4K video at some point, but they will not offer 4K games. They would likely be much worse at doing 4K than the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are at doing 1080p. The 8th generation consoles will likely be the first consoles to offer true native 1080p high definition, but any more than that in terms of resolution seems incredibly unlikely at this point.

Tainy

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

210. Posted:

@Tainy
Yup, there's plenty of ways to use that power even before you consider doing 4K. There's room to improve visual effects, there's room to make games run at consistently higher frame rates, there's room to actually run at 1080p, there's room to actually use AA/AF etc, etc. If devs could go to 4K and used that extra power to go for 4K ignoring everything else there would be a lot of complaining.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

211. Posted:

2GB vs 0.5GB Ram vs. 8GB ram. Wii U is half way between current gen and next gen basically looking at specs. That simple.

But the Gamepad and Miiverse make it a different next gen.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

212. Posted:

RAM isn't how you measure performance. The 8GB on the PS4 only really tells you that they intend it to be a multifunction device. That amount of RAM is probably a good idea for the 4K content delivery they intend to push but it's not going to make a huge difference in game. Don't be shocked if Microsoft's console appears with a fair amount less than that.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

213. Posted:

Right, but the amazing thing is people kept calling PS3 and 360 next gen and incredible and what not, even with current games coming up, and they have measley amount of rams. So Nintendo having 4 times more RAM is impressive.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

214. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Last I checked. selling about as well as the PS2 means they're doing something incredibly right...

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Well the Kinect for Windows unit is different from the main Kinect unit being upgraded to work at closer distances. Not only that but the Orginal ki
Prove it. Give me an article that provides indesputeable proof of a Kinect 2.0. Because I seriously can't find any.

The Kinect for windows unit is different from the Kinect for xbox unit. Too ask for Proof on a kinect 2.0 is impossible until tomorrow since all we have is rumors to go by. But beyond that you would have to be a fool to be wondering if a kinect 2.0 was coming when the first kinect was a large part of microsoft's focus and story for last gen. Just the fact that they showed the illumroom concept from MSFT research.

ANywho on topic the Wii U isn't next gen since its out. Its the first 8th generation system.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

215. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Last I checked. selling about as well as the PS2 means they're doing something incredibly right...

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Well the Kinect for Windows unit is different from the main Kinect unit being upgraded to work at closer distances. Not only that but the Orginal ki
Prove it. Give me an article that provides indesputeable proof of a Kinect 2.0. Because I seriously can't find any.

The Kinect for windows unit is different from the Kinect for xbox unit. Too ask for Proof on a kinect 2.0 is impossible until tomorrow since all we have is rumors to go by. But beyond that you would have to be a fool to be wondering if a kinect 2.0 was coming when the first kinect was a large part of microsoft's focus and story for last gen. Just the fact that they showed the illumroom concept from MSFT research.

ANywho on topic the Wii U isn't next gen since its out. Its the first 8th generation system.

Exactly. Thank you. I don't hate PS4, I just prefer Wii U. All of them will be current gen together. I look forward to the Xbox∞ announcement to see what they did.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

216. Posted:

Yeah tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least. So far we know were going to see

Call of Duty: Ghosts
Forza or PGR
Fifa 14
EA UFC

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RR529

217. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Yeah tomorrow is going to be interesting to say the least. So far we know were going to see

Call of Duty: Ghosts
Forza or PGR
Fifa 14
EA UFC

What time will the presentation be? (central time, if possible)

Currently Playing:

InFamous (PS3)
Picross e2 (3DS eShop)

Avatar: Happy Independence Day!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

218. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Last I checked. selling about as well as the PS2 means they're doing something incredibly right...

SCAR392 wrote:

@CanisWolfred
It's already a known fact that Microsoft is moving on to Kinect 2.0. It's just common sense. This just gives more reason to upgrade from Xbox 360 and Wii. New things are what make people buy new consoles.

Well the Kinect for Windows unit is different from the main Kinect unit being upgraded to work at closer distances. Not only that but the Orginal ki
Prove it. Give me an article that provides indesputeable proof of a Kinect 2.0. Because I seriously can't find any.

The Kinect for windows unit is different from the Kinect for xbox unit. Too ask for Proof on a kinect 2.0 is impossible until tomorrow since all we have is rumors to go by. But beyond that you would have to be a fool to be wondering if a kinect 2.0 was coming when the first kinect was a large part of microsoft's focus and story for last gen. Just the fact that they showed the illumroom concept from MSFT research.

ANywho on topic the Wii U isn't next gen since its out. Its the first 8th generation system.

"A fool," really? Can we stop with the rumor mongering?

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you guys have been watching too much Anime. Maybe Link will photosythesis, too?.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

219. Posted:

I wouldn't be surprised by an upgrade to Kinect, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there was no upgrade, too. That's all I'll say about Kinect 2.0 in this topic.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Ryno

220. Posted:

Have you guys figured this out yet? I have seriously been losing sleep over this. This needs to be resolved. In fact, I think it is more important then the Benghazi coverup or the IRS directly targeting conservative groups.

I miss Japanese games, the good stuff... Games that are imaginative, have good and unique gameplay, a great soundtrack, and replay value.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo