Wii U Forum

Topic: current gen or next gen

Showing 21 to 40 of 262

AuthorMessage
Avatar

OptometristLime

21. Posted:

This thread has descended into petty bickering.

SCAR392 wrote:

It's next gen. It's more powerful than Xbox 360 or PS3 to be categorized as last gen. It won't be as powerful as other next gen consoles, but that in no way makes it LAST gen.
All in all, it's next gen anyway you put it, so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

More power than the current gen equates to next gen, regardless of the size of the step.
I agree.

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

22. Posted:

Current gen is the newest thing on the shelf that's in production, next gen is the thing that's not on the shelf yet. So the Wii U was next-gen and the 360/PS3 current gen but now it's current gen along with the PS3/360. The PS4/720 are currently next-gen but as soon as they hit stores they become current-gen and the 360/PS3 become last gen.

No need to be anymore complicated than that I think.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Big_L91

23. Posted:

i personally would say the wii u is "next" gen.
look at the tech thats gone in to the console thats completely different to "current" gen consoles (xboxps3)
it does some completely new things never seen before, in my opinion its alot more next gen than the ps4 and nextbox are looking to be, just more of the same.

Edited on by Big_L91

put it on.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

dumedum

24. Posted:

The interesting question is whether PS4 is next gen because it looks like a PS3 with a facebook button.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Innit

25. Posted:

It depends on your perspective.

In terms of of numbered generations, retail phases etc - and especially from a Nintendo perspective - it's 8th gen. So 'next' if you want to round things up.

If however, you base the label on respective power leaps, using the other guys as the bar, no, it is 'current'.

Anyone struggling with this should take a pick and get over wondering.

Edited on by Innit

Innit

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CapnPancakes

26. Posted:

If anything, the Wii U is more qualified to be considered "next-gen" than the Wii was. Really it's just stupid though, a generation isn't determined by the power of the system, but by the new line of systems. I guess it just shows how gamers and developers think these days though, everything is about the power.

Runs the NintendoLife Best VGM Tourney Come Vote!
The Pancakeloggery
Keep it frosty people.
My Super Mario Galaxy Bio courtesy of Dark-Luigi.

3DS Friend Code: 3523-2096-8169 | Nintendo Network ID: Capn_Pancakes

AuthorMessage
Avatar

UpdateNightmare

27. Posted:

If there's such a huge emphasis on controls then Oculus Rift is the real next gen.

UpdateNightmare

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

28. Posted:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

says the guy obsessed with hating Iwata and Mario games unless they technically don't have Mario in the title

There's a difference between observing and discussing and taking something seriously.

Then again, you're the guy who thinks every opinion is factually wrong but your own. No surprise there.

So what you're saying is you took my ironic "my opinion is the most important" shtick seriously.

Oh the irony. It's...beautiful! ;__;

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

29. Posted:

It's part of the next generation of consoles. Period. End of story.

As we all know when the term is used in other areas of life, a new "generation" doesn't even mean better in any way. It just means the next iteration of a line of something. In this case, the Wii U is Nintendo's next home console and is, in all senses of the word, part of the next generation of consoles.

Thank you and /thread

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

30. Posted:

All I can say that game sells a console.

I personally don't think it's about whether or not a console is next-generation at this point. Instead, I believe it's more about whether or not everyone persist at this "bigger and more is better" manifestation beyond this point. It just doesn't seem to be the healthy thing to do now >.<

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

31. Posted:

rallydefault wrote:

It's part of the next generation of consoles. Period. End of story.

As we all know when the term is used in other areas of life, a new "generation" doesn't even mean better in any way. It just means the next iteration of a line of something. In this case, the Wii U is Nintendo's next home console and is, in all senses of the word, part of the next generation of consoles.

Thank you and /thread

Exactly. If it's the next in line of consoles, it is automatically "next gen" regardless of its specs. If dressed and talked like somebody from the 50s, and only listened to 50s music and watched 50s TV shows, does that mean that I am not a part of my generation? No. By standard definition, Wii U is "next Gen". And that's all there is to it.

Edited on by Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Discostew

32. Posted:

Too often do I see people using words like "generation" and "gimmick" incorrectly. In fact, they use them in such a way as to describe something negative. Saying "generation" is based on power (which it isn't), and then making a comparison of one thing to another to give a false sense of progress on the lesser of the two.

"What fun is there in making sense?"
Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project

Pokemon 3DS Friend Safari - Ice - Spheal, Sneasel, Lapras

3DS Friend Code: 4425-1477-0127 | Nintendo Network ID: Discostew

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rallydefault

33. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

rallydefault wrote:

It's part of the next generation of consoles. Period. End of story.

As we all know when the term is used in other areas of life, a new "generation" doesn't even mean better in any way. It just means the next iteration of a line of something. In this case, the Wii U is Nintendo's next home console and is, in all senses of the word, part of the next generation of consoles.

Thank you and /thread

Exactly. If it's the next in line of consoles, it is automatically "next gen" regardless of its specs. If dressed and talked like somebody from the 50s, and only listened to 50s music and watched 50s TV shows, does that mean that I am not a part of my generation? No. By standard definition, Wii U is "next Gen". And that's all there is to it.

Whew- thank you! I was so afraid of checking back and seeing the usual bickering. It seems that there are more people out there who actually understand the denotation of the word "generation"! :)

Edited on by rallydefault

rallydefault

AuthorMessage
Avatar

CanisWolfred

34. Posted:

It's current gen as far as I'm concerned. A late-game, 32X-esque upgrade that was made a full console so they can get out a few sales before the Next generation really takes hold.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

Doesn't talk about games.

Avid Fan of Anime, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

35. Posted:

CanisWolfred wrote:

It's current gen as far as I'm concerned. A late-game, 32X-esque upgrade that was made a full console so they can get out a few sales before the Next generation really takes hold.

It may be current gen as far as you're concerned, but as far as the English language and standard definition is concerned, it is next gen, as @rallydefault and I have already stated. Specs have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with it. Nintendo could release something with the specs of a freaking SNES and it would still technically be considered next gen.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

36. Posted:

Captain_Balko wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

It's current gen as far as I'm concerned. A late-game, 32X-esque upgrade that was made a full console so they can get out a few sales before the Next generation really takes hold.

It may be current gen as far as you're concerned, but as far as the English language and standard definition is concerned, it is next gen, as @rallydefault and I have already stated. Specs have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with it. Nintendo could release something with the specs of a freaking SNES and it would still technically be considered next gen.

The specs are better anyway. Current gen started last year when Wii U came out.

Get with the times, bros.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

37. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Captain_Balko wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

It's current gen as far as I'm concerned. A late-game, 32X-esque upgrade that was made a full console so they can get out a few sales before the Next generation really takes hold.

It may be current gen as far as you're concerned, but as far as the English language and standard definition is concerned, it is next gen, as @rallydefault and I have already stated. Specs have LITERALLY NOTHING to do with it. Nintendo could release something with the specs of a freaking SNES and it would still technically be considered next gen.

The specs are better anyway. Current gen started last year when Wii U came out.

Get with the times, bros.

I know the specs are way better, and I agree that current gen started when Wii U was released, I was simply making a point.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

38. Posted:

Let's be technical about this. Wii U is 8th gen as are Xbox wutever and PS4!

There, now everyone is happy, yes?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Captain_Balko

39. Posted:

LzQuacker wrote:

Let's be technical about this. Wii U is 8th gen as are Xbox wutever and PS4!

There, now everyone is happy, yes?

I'm happy, but you've still got your grumblers who refuse to accept the basic definition of "generation" and would rather whine about the specs of the Wii U for absolutely no reason at all.

Captain_Balko

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

40. Posted:

Easy way to look at it would be to consider what the actual hardware manufacturers mean when they say generation. Back in 2010 Nvidia had GPUs of the 4XX generation. 410, 420, 450, 460, 470, 480. The first number was their number to denote the generation of GPU, the second number denoted how much power it had and the last number was sometimes used to denote half steps.

Next generation they have 510, 520, 550, 560, 570, 580. Same thing and they were all a "new generation" of GPUs. However in terms of performance the new generation GPUs were generally only more powerful than the cards in the same "class" from the previous generation. A 520 wouldn't have much of a chance of beating a 460 for example.

Now the current generation is the same again. 610, 620, 650, 670, 680. They are called "current gen" because that's what you get when you go into the shop and ask for a Nvidia graphics card. Next gen isn't out yet but no doubt that some of the "next gen" will be less capable than what's already out there. That doesn't make it any less "next gen".

The fact that Sony/MS are releasing their consoles this early in the Wii U's life says something. The last console generation lasted 7-9 years so releasing something new in the first year of the Wii U is more than enough to say it's of the same generation. No doubt people will still be debating this in 2021 when the next console generation starts ;)

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake