Forums

Topic: Watch_Dogs for all systems

Posts 381 to 400 of 444

Punished_Boss_84

Bayonetta 2, Devils Third and Hyrule = Second party. Zombi U and Monster Hunter = Third Party. You need definition lessons, not me.

First-party developer
In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it.

Second-party developer
Second-party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios: Independently owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusive Pokémon game series).

Third-party developers
Third-party developers are usually called upon by a video game publisher to develop a title for one (or more) systems. Both publisher and developer have considerable input in the game's design and content. However, the publisher's wishes generally override those of the developer. (Wikipedia.)

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

"They played us like a damn fiddle!" - MGS5
"Finish your mission, prove your loyalty." - MGS3
"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA
Currently Playing: The Phantom Pain.

3DS Friend Code: 3840-6320-8217

Punished_Boss_84

LucinaSmash wrote:

Watch Dogs screenshots disable in Miiverse community

Like with a certain Minecraft clone, I reiterate: "doesn't that evoke a degree of confidence?"

"We could take a s*** on you from such a height, you'd think God himself has crapped on you!" - GTA: SA

crimsoncavalier

Punished_Boss_84 wrote:

Pre-bolded: That's a cool story bro, let me flip the Wii U. Without first party games, Wii U is nothing. See I can I flip it around as well, to make it seem better/worse but no. Quailty third party games sell on Wii U? If that were true, I would be seeing it in 2015. But by quailty to do you mean, Lego, Skylanders, Just Dance and etc, that's what sells on U so by your logic they are quailty games... Didn't think that one through did you? Bolded: That's not how business works. Just because Wii U can handle it, doesn't mean its a shoe in.

I never said anything to the contrary. Of course, without 1st party games ANY Nintendo console would be nothing. There would be no point in getting a Wii U if it weren't for the stellar 1st party games Nintendo puts out.

That doesn't negate my statement. People buy lesser quality games on other platforms because they have no alternatives. Neither Sony nor Microsoft have the quantity or quality of 1st party titles to offset some of the lack in quality 3rd party titles. If you own a PS4, you had better get those mediocre games, or else you have a very expensive brick in your living room. Obviously the same could be said for the Wii U, but "flipped" as you said. But that's not what we were talking about.

Third-party developers (i.e., Platinum Games) are usually called upon by a video game publisher (i.e., Nintendo) to develop a title for one (or more) systems (i.e., Nintendo Wii U). Both publisher (Nintendo) and developer (Platinum Games) have considerable input in the game's design and content. However, the publisher's wishes generally override those of the developer.

sigh Nintendo does not own Platinum Games nor the Bayonetta IP. With Nintendo publishing the game, with SEGA serving as "advisors", and Platinum Games developing, and Platinum not having some sort of deal to only publish for Nintendo, under no definition is Bayonetta anything other than a 3rd party game.

Bayonetta is a third-party, Nintendo exclusive title.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

SCRAPPER392

The same thing happened to Bayonetta 2 as did with REmake and RE4, back on GCN. They are exclusive games that Nintendo worked closely with to get them done. The same thing goes for Devil's Third, publishing Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge, Namco working on Smash Bros, etc.

I'm pretty sure the relationship is alot closer when the discussion of 2nd party comes up. We're talking Game Freak, Hal Labs, Rare(back when they owned part of them, obviously), Monolith Soft, etc, that Nintendo actually owns part of, Nintendo doesn't own anything of Platinum, Namco, Capcom, and etc. companies they have worked with.

EDIT: An example would be if Sony paid Activision for an exclusive CoD game, next year. That doesn't make it a 2nd party game.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Spoony_Tech

I really don't want to get into the debate or further it but to me Bayonetta 2 is second party and this is why. Only Nintendo can green light a release on other consoles. I don't think Platinum or Sega can do anything else with it unlike RE4 which was a timed exclusive. Is platinum a second party developer, no bit Bayonetta 2 is a second party game. Trust me, I don't think Wii U would be their first choice for a sequel.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

DefHalan

I think what makes Bayonetta 2 more like a 2nd Party game is cause Nintendo acted as Publisher for the title. It wasn't a game Published by Sega that Nintendo paid or made a deal for it to be exclusive, it was actually published by Nintendo.

On a side note the reason why you see Sega logos in the game is cause Sega still owns the rights to the Bayonetta IP, but I think Nintendo owns the Bayonetta 2 content meaning Sega couldn't just pay for a port, Nintendo would have to allow it.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

faint

Punished_Boss_84 wrote:

Bayonetta 2, Devils Third and Hyrule = Second party. Zombi U and Monster Hunter = Third Party. You need definition lessons, not me.

First-party developer
In the video game industry, a first-party developer is part of a company which manufactures a video game console and develops exclusively for it.

Second-party developer
Second-party developer is a colloquial term used by gaming enthusiasts and media often used to describe two different types of game development studios: Independently owned studios who take development contracts from the platform holders and what they produce will usually be exclusive to that platform. Examples are Insomniac Games (which previously developed games solely for Sony's PlayStation platforms as an independent studio) and Game Freak, (which primarily develops the Nintendo-exclusive Pokémon game series).

Third-party developers
Third-party developers are usually called upon by a video game publisher to develop a title for one (or more) systems. Both publisher and developer have considerable input in the game's design and content. However, the publisher's wishes generally override those of the developer. (Wikipedia.)

it is not a second party game. sega owns the ip. eternal darkness is a second party game. get it.

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

skywake

Just some perspective with some Australian RRPs for some Wii U games, i.e. what you'll pay on the eShop:
Bayonetta 1&2: $80AU
Smash Bros: $80AU
Mario Kart 8: $80AU
Captain Toad: $60AU
Watch Dogs: $90AU

(at least most stores have dropped the RRP to $70 for even Watch Dogs. Still. $90. Almost like they don't want it to sell)

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

conman2012

Crap Pricey.

Reminds me of Arkham Origins, from memory in the NZ E Shop the price was $119 (NZD) compared to all Nintendo first party games being $99.95 (NZD). Needless to say, I didn't buy Arkham Origins.

Meanwhile, there are a couple of import webstores, watchdogs will be cheap pretty soon, and maybe then I'll pick it up.

Furthermore, if anyone has anymore gameplay impressions on this I would be interested in reading that more than the 1st/2nd/3rd party debates...

conman2012

brandonbwii

I don't really have an opinion on this, but if Nintendo calls Bayonetta 2 second party then it's second party as far as I'm concerned. At the same time by that logic, however, almost every game on 3DS in the west are second party (Fantasy Life, Professor Layton, Disney Magical World, Bravely Default etc.). So I really have no idea.

Edited on by brandonbwii

Facebook: bbworks club
Twitter: @bbworks_club
Instagram: bbworks club

Nintendo Network ID: BigBadBrowne

crimsoncavalier

DefHalan wrote:

I think what makes Bayonetta 2 more like a 2nd Party game is cause Nintendo acted as Publisher for the title. It wasn't a game Published by Sega that Nintendo paid or made a deal for it to be exclusive, it was actually published by Nintendo.

On a side note the reason why you see Sega logos in the game is cause Sega still owns the rights to the Bayonetta IP, but I think Nintendo owns the Bayonetta 2 content meaning Sega couldn't just pay for a port, Nintendo would have to allow it.

However, that is not the definition of a 2nd party game. The distinction of 3rd vs 2nd party is ownership. Companies like the ones mentioned, HAL and Monolith Soft, are in part owned by Nintendo. The IPs on which those developers work are at least in part owned by Nintendo.

Platinum games is not owned by Nintendo in any regard, nor does Nintendo own in any sense the Bayonetta IP. Therefore, it cannot be accurately defined as 2nd party, as none of the criteria for it to be 2nd party have been met.

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I really don't want to get into the debate or further it but to me Bayonetta 2 is second party and this is why. Only Nintendo can green light a release on other consoles. I don't think Platinum or Sega can do anything else with it unlike RE4 which was a timed exclusive. Is platinum a second party developer, no bit Bayonetta 2 is a second party game. Trust me, I don't think Wii U would be their first choice for a sequel.

If all it takes for a game to be 2nd party is for Nintendo to green-light it, then there's no such thing as a 3rd party game on a Nintendo console. Just because Nintendo paid Platinum and Sega to the rights for this game to be released exclusively on the Wii U doesn't make it a 2nd party game, as Nintendo does not own any part of either the developer or the IP. Just because you fund something doesn't mean you own it. Nintendo only owns the exclusivity (and even that may not last — we don't know if there is a sale-clause, in which if the game sells below a certain number of units it can go multi-platform).

Edited on by crimsoncavalier

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

DefHalan

Nintendo didn't only allow it to be on their system. Nintendo paid for the game to be made, not just paid for exclusive. This is much more than green-lighting the game. Since Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2 to be developed, I am pretty sure they own the content (which is different than owning the IP) and that is why Sega can't just turn arpund and pay for a pirt to other systems without Nintendo's permission. Bayonetta 2 is in a weird place cause it doesn't fit in our ideas of how games are normally made. I can't think of another game that was made in a similar process. Nintendo did much more than just pay for exclusive-ness or green-light it. They paid Sega for use over the IP and published the game. It is closer to a license title only weird as the license was a video game instead of some other media

Punished_Boss_84

Its not a third party game if its published by the platform holder.

Don't mix up third party owner/ownership, third party team and Nintendo to = Third Party Game.

Edited on by Punished_Boss_84

Spoony_Tech

DefHalan wrote:

Nintendo didn't only allow it to be on their system. Nintendo paid for the game to be made, not just paid for exclusive. This is much more than green-lighting the game. Since Nintendo paid for Bayonetta 2 to be developed, I am pretty sure they own the content (which is different than owning the IP) and that is why Sega can't just turn arpund and pay for a pirt to other systems without Nintendo's permission. Bayonetta 2 is in a weird place cause it doesn't fit in our ideas of how games are normally made. I can't think of another game that was made in a similar process. Nintendo did much more than just pay for exclusive-ness or green-light it. They paid Sega for use over the IP and published the game. It is closer to a license title only weird as the license was a video game instead of some other media

I agree with this. This is a very unique case and I personally think that Bayonetta 2 is more a 2nd party game more so then dare I say Banjo Kazooie. Just look what happened there!

Btw, I should change the title to Watch Dogs and 2nd party dispute lol.

Back on topic Watch Dogs does look like a worthy port, too bad there's just so much bad blood now going on.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Punished_Boss_84

Sorry for the derail, it just happened.

Spoony_Tech

Punished_Boss_84 wrote:

Sorry for the derail, it just happened.

Personally I could care less. It's a nice debate at least. No name calling as of yet. Debates are health but name calling.......

MERG said:

DefHalan

I was playing Watch_Dogs last night (was going to wait for the NL Review but Miiverse Player Posts were very positive) so far I think it is a decent game, my biggest problem is the UI is very small and hard to understand at times. I have had a couple of those online invasion things happen and they are pretty cool.

Edited on by DefHalan

SCRAPPER392

Punished_Boss_84 wrote:

Its not a third party game if its published by the platform holder.

Don't mix up third party owner/ownership, third party team and Nintendo to = Third Party Game.

So, Capcom, Namco, Tecmo, Sega, and Platinum Games are all 2nd parties, right now. It's still 3rd party support by 2nd party means, though, yes? I mean Bayonetta 2 wouldn't even exist without 3rd parties existing. It is just being put to 2nd party use.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.