Forums

Topic: Could the Wii U have run Doom (2016)?

Posts 1 to 19 of 19

Mario123311

With the release of an actual refreshing breath of fresh air to the stale FPS genre, I always was curious since I saw the first trailer for the game... Could this have been on the Wii U? I think if it was possibly an exclusive of sorts it would have more than likely boosted the system. But that's just me.

Edited on by gcunit

Mario123311

Octane

Unlikely. The Wii U doesn't support the engine and is definitely not able to run the game at 60fps at 900/1080p.

Octane

DefHalan

My PC can't run Doom 2016, no the Wii U couldn't run it as is. They could have made a second version of the game to run on the Wii U but it probably wouldn't have sold well.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

mjharper

A port of the game would probably have been great on the Wii U. The Gamepad would've been great for things like weapon selection, maps, etc. And gyro control a la Splatoon would've been great for Doom. But, the resources and cost required to port and optimize the game for Wii U probably would outweigh any profits the game would've earned on the system. Hence the reason we don't see any third party ports or games on the system any more.

Hopefully the NX changes all of that.

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

martinskrtel37

Yep. DOOM would have Saved Nintendo from DOOM.

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

SCRAPPER392

It depends. Nintendo and Namco are the only companies pushing the Wii U hardware, with things like Smash Bros, abundance of ports and Pokken, which already confirms Tekken 7 can run, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

They'd have just as hard of a time porting the higher graphic Wii U games to Xbox and PS4 as they would from Xbox/Ps4 to Wii U, in most cases.
That's why you saw Zombi U show up on PS4 and Xbox One.
On technical terms, the Wii U Mario games also wouldn't be able to make the jump to any other platform, without the same excuse Wii U is getting for 3rd party ports.

EDIT: I just think that these new games look like how 6th gen was when that came out. I saw the Doom trailer, and it looks like WiiWare stuff with better graphics(a little bit of an exaggeration, but that's what I mean); probably a 7/10 game, honestly.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Peek-a-boo

Long answer, the Wii U wouldn't have been able to run DOOM, as it doesn't support the latest id Tech 5 engine.

Short answer, no.

Peek-a-boo

Shinion

Even though this was a pretty bizarre question with a pretty obvious and straightforward answer, it is still 10x more logical and interesting than 99% of inquiries/speculation that have "Nintendo" and "Doom" in their titles, so I'll give you that OP.

No Doom couldn't have worked on Wii U. For the 7/8th time in this thread.

Shinion

Shinion

@Veinychicken You're very welcome!

Though I don't see why you chose my comment in particular to thank as opposed to the other comments between mine and Octane's that said the exact same thing. I'll just assume we're all going to be subject to your esteemed appreciation and not just me?

Though if it is just me I'll happily take it.

Shinion

RR529

Whoa, Veinychicken's comments vanished. Not just here either, but every single post across the entire forums (even the ones that weren't hostile or trollish).

Just sort of curious more than anything, as I don't think I've seen a complete vanishing act like that before (if a user gets in trouble, it's usually just the offending posts that get taken down).

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

HistoricKombat

Doom would have to be ported to a supported engine for Wii U, as well there would have to be some comprises with lower frame-rate, resolution and maybe even graphics quality. Doom for Wii U is possible, but there is no profit in porting Doom since the Will U is not selling well. A Wii U port of Doom is not happening.

Edited on by HistoricKombat

HistoricKombat

Haru17

I mean, yeah. Probably. The visual effects aren't too intense (mostly it's a lot of hellfire). The art and graphics get pretty crazy—especially when there's demons on the board—but I'm confident that the Wii U could put them on the screen. Besides, the card effect only goes up to 14, so that's not too much of a load on the processor.

Untitled

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

SCRAPPER392

@Peek-a-boo
Doesn't matter. We might as well say Wii U can't run Resident Evil 6, Kingdom Hearts 3, Tekken 7, GTA V, Payday 2 Def. Vers, etc.
Anybody who ever thought otherwise was wrong, period, regardless of the biases articles.
There isn't a big jump from last generation, period. Final Fantasy XV was almost on PS3, for the love of Jebus... That's enough proof to say that's still partially a last generation. Give it like 2-3 more years, and I'll gladly admit what games are too high tech for Wii U, if they actually are, otherwise we might as well say all the graphics in the world suck, and it's still "too good" for Wii U. The only games I see being to hard for Wii U, are games like the PS4 exclusives, and Quantum Break. If we go any further back, we're saying Wii U can't run Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Little Big Planet, etc. in at least 720p, and that would be called lying.
This still feels like 6th generation to me, bro.
Sunset Overdrive is like Tony Hawk meets Dead Rising, and guess what, the graphics ain't s***. Nuff said. I've honestly been tempted to get a PS4, especially if the BC program isn't a ripoff/actually exists, or maybe rebuy a PS3 and leave PS4 alone.

EDiT: The Wii U is not doomed. I bet Pikachu could beat doom guy.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

SKTTR

The SNES handled a watered-down port of the classic DOOM.
The N64 handled an exclusive great third main DOOM game called DOOM 64.
Heck, there was even DOOM 1 & 2 on Game Boy Advance.

I think the Wii U could handle a watered-down port of the new DOOM, retaining all the gameplay but taking away some polygons and graphic effects mainly.
Would be great if NX had the new DOOM as a launch title.
I mean, the new DOOM is pretty awesome!

Switch fc: 6705-1518-0990

dumedum

It probably could. My laptop runs it easily, it's a relatively new (gaming) laptop, but still a laptop. Of course it would have to be optimized.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

CanisWolfred

Probably. It'd just take some effort to port (at least, more effort than PC->PS4/Xbox One), and the graphics would have to be tweaked/parred down in order to keep a high framerate, but it's not like it's a massive open-world game that's constantly rendering a million things at once, so I can't see it losing any playability from such a transition outside of coding difficulties.

I mean, it definitely wouldn't be worth their while from a financial standpoint, but that pretty much goes without saying these days...

EDIT: In fact, I'm just gonna go ahead and make that my defacto answer for every thread asking if a AAA non-open-world release will come to the Wii U. Save myself the trouble and the downage, you know?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

SCRAPPER392

I think it could run about as good as Watch Dogs, at the very least. As some people already mentioned, Doom was on SNES as a blurry but working game. If Doom runs in 1080p/60FPS, I'd think it would be able to at least run in 720p/60FPS, with all graphics on. The resolution being cut down to 720p is a sure thing it would run. That is an example.
That's why CoD Ghosts was 720p on Xbox One and Wii U, even thought it is fact that it would run at 1080p(like PS4) if they fully accessed the hardware.
Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One would also be able to run in 1080p(which runs in 720p), once they fully access the hardware, otherwise we're stuck in a pointless hardware contest that ignores full software optimization.
That is what you get when a new machine comes out and they don't fully understand it. Resident Evil 5/6, GTA V, CoD Ghosts, etc. running in 1080p isn't anything to be impressed about, although it is obviously preferred.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.