Forums

Topic: Could 2015 be the Wii U's final good year?

Posts 21 to 40 of 56

Bolt_Strike

Nintendo seems to be in no hurry to release their next gen consoles if New 3DS is any indication, I think ending it in 2016 is a tad unrealistic. 2017 or 2018 seem a bit more likely. And there's still quite a few games that we haven't seen yet anyway that I'd like to see before we move on, such as Metroid, a collectathon Mario, and a main series Kirby.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

DefHalan

I could see Nintendo releasing a new Console at the end of 2016 but I think 2017 is a little more realistic. The New 3DS I think is to keep the 3DS alive a little longer for the Fusion idea to happen. Which is why I think a 2016 release could be possible. but NA still hasn't announced the New 3DS so I am not sure how likely 2016 is for a new system.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

unrandomsam

Doesn't seem logical to start again until at least both the Wii U and 3DS have made money overall (Or the time period).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

henchman24

2017 is still 3 years away (the console would be released for the holiday season). We are still closer to the launch of the Wii U than we are a potential holiday 2017 release. 3 years is an eternity in the video game world.

The longest Nintendo has ever gone in North America between releasing consoles is 6 years. It happened with the NES to SNES and the Wii to Wii U. The latter is more due to the world economy than anything. All the other upgrades happened at 5 years. In other words 2018 is probably the latest that Nintendo releases a new system, and 2017 is more likely.

henchman24

sub12

I could totally see a late 2016 release date if indeed the fusion platform is the way ahead. Both the Saturn and OG Xbox lasted 4 years, both were considered somewhat unsuccessful by their parent companies (same with Wii U).....so 4 years is not unprecedented, and I think it's just long enough to not anger the user base too badly.

So holiday 2016 / fusion.....I could see it happen.

sub12

DefHalan

sub12 wrote:

I could totally see a late 2016 release date if indeed the fusion platform is the way ahead. Both the Saturn and OG Xbox lasted 4 years, both were considered somewhat unsuccessful by their parent companies (same with Wii U).....so 4 years is not unprecedented, and I think it's just long enough to not anger the user base too badly.

So holiday 2016 / fusion.....I could see it happen.

With the Heavy Hitters that just landed and the ones coming next year (possibly early 2016 if delayed) I would worry that a lot of people are jumping into the Wii U late and if it is replaced in 2016 they may feel ripped off, that is why I think 2017 is more likely. Not that I don't think 2016 is possible but we will see. It also depends on how far in advance they want to announce it. If they announce it in 2015 for a 2016 release then how will that affect late 2015 games? If they announce it in 2016 for a 2016 release then they will have to blow people's mind away to get enough internet buzz for a successful launch. But a 2016 announcement for a 2017 release seems very possible.

Grumblevolcano

I think 2017 at the earliest, Nintendo still has a fair few big frachises untouched or very little info about that could probably come in 2016 (Metroid included). Also announcing too early could alienate amiibo purchasers if the new console is incompatible.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ryno

2016 is going to be another great year for the Wii U just like 2015 will be and 2014 was.

But really only this guys knows:
Untitled

Stop worrying about the future and enjoy what you have.

Edited on by Ryno

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

DefHalan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think 2017 at the earliest, Nintendo still has a fair few big frachises untouched or very little info about that could probably come in 2016 (Metroid included). Also announcing too early could alienate amiibo purchasers if the new console is incompatible.

I would be very surprised if the next console doesn't support Amiibo. I think Amiibo will be a driving factor for next gen.

ricklongo

DefHalan wrote:

The New 3DS I think is to keep the 3DS alive a little longer for the Fusion idea to happen.

Exactly my thoughts.

At this point, Nintendo has two options to try and be "top dog" again: 1) Getting back to the graphical arms race to attract more consumers, like they did with the SNES, or 2) Blowing people's minds with innovation, like they did with the Wii.

I'm not even sure which of these paths I would want them to take, but I'm pretty certain they will choose the second one. And Fusion certainly has the potential to fit right into that bill.

Either way, I think that will be late 2017 at the earliest. 2018 sounds reasonable.

Edited on by ricklongo

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

sub12

Most of the late adopters during a consoles life cycle are not the core audience (the people who buy launch consoles anyways), I think people overestimate how much people would be bothered by a late 2016 timetable for fusion. If anything the hype would squash any of the few desenters on places like NL, I promise that.

As for an announcement, they should probably follow suit like the PS4/XB1 did and make an unveiling during Q1 or Q2 of 2016 with a release in Q4 of 2016. I think we can all agree that the Wii U was announced far too early. For software, as long as the Wii U has a couple of titles for the first half of 2016, it will be alright. Nintendo is historically stingy during the last year of a consoles life cycle anyways.

sub12

DefHalan

ricklongo wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

The New 3DS I think is to keep the 3DS alive a little longer for the Fusion idea to happen.

Exactly my thoughts.

At this point, Nintendo has two options to try and be "top dog" again: 1) Getting back to the graphical arms race to attract more consumers, like they did with the SNES, or 2) Blowing people's minds with innovation, like they did with the Wii.

I'm not even sure which of these paths I would want them to take, but I'm pretty certain they will choose the second one. And Fusion certainly has the potential to fit right into that bill.

Either way, I think that will be late 2017 at the earliest. 2018 sounds reasonable.

Or they do both!!!!!!

sub12

ricklongo wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Exactly my thoughts.

I think the positive with fusion is that Nintendo's own development studios could successfully fill up any holes left by the absence of third parties, software would not be an issue. The negative side of fusion is that your throwing all of your eggs in one basket, if it fails, so does your whole company, which is historically unlike Nintendo.........which may be a clue as to why they are getting in the digital health and fitness industry, try to have an avenue of funds if fusion doesn't sell well.

I don't think competing with Sony or Microsoft in the hardware specs race would be the best choice. By 2016 both of those consoles will have huge user bases and Nintendo will have been out of that game for over a decade.

sub12

Jdlok

Whatever the next system is, all you do is make sure it's compatible with 3ds carts and Wii U discs. Boom, done deal, no alienating anyone.

Jdlok

sub12

If fusion was home to the core Pokémon titles (which it most likely would, combining both handheld and console franchises).................I'm sure it would sell great (as long as it's priced around 300-350 dollars max).

sub12

Jdlok

Whatever happens, I just sincerely hope that Nintendo does not favor downloadable AAA games over retail games in the future. I have a strong affinity for retail games, with all the packaging and artwork (not so much anymore, I know). Having the choice, I would be fine with that.

Edited on by Jdlok

Jdlok

ricklongo

sub12 wrote:

If fusion was home to the core Pokémon titles (which it most likely would, combining both handheld and console franchises).................I'm sure it would sell great (as long as it's priced around 300-350 dollars max).

An HD Pokémon title playable on the big screen would be quite enticing to a lot of people. Make it available in the launch window, and you have a masterstroke.

Stuff like this (and the streamlining of development efforts towards one platform) make me think Fusion could be a really great idea. It would be a big risk, sure, but no one ever got back into the game by playing it safe.

Edited on by ricklongo

Visit my gaming blog: http://www.gamingsweetgaming.blogspot.com

Listen to my music: https://themoonexpresso.bandcamp.com/

Switch Friend Code: SW-3317-3992-7696 | 3DS Friend Code: 1418-8121-5054 | My Nintendo: ricklongo | Nintendo Network ID: ricardolongo | Twitter:

Klimbatize

"Final" good year? When was its first?

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

DefHalan

Klimbatize wrote:

"Final" good year? When was its first?

2012, Then 2014 and "Finally" 2015

Klimbatize

Those were good years? Ouch.

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

3DS FC: 1332 7785 4494

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.