Forums

Topic: Could 2015 be the Wii U's final good year?

Posts 1 to 20 of 56

Akira_1975

I love my Wii U, I really do. I've collected consoles going back to the Atari 2600 and I can honestly say the Wii U is my all time favorite console. I just love the feel of the system and I will have a hard time giving up the gamepad if that day ever arrives. I want the Wii U to succeed as much as anyone else however I think it's time for a reality check. It's just not selling, 3rd party support (sports games anyone?) is practically non-existent, and Nintendo's marketing, in my opinion, is simply atrocious. When a AAA title like Bayonetta 2, nominated for game of the year, sells a handful of games, we know we're in trouble. That game should have been an absolute blockbuster for Nintendo. So I have to ask, what do you guys think? Do you see a possible turn around in sight? Is there still a chance of regaining 3rd party support?

Either way I'm going to continue collecting for the system and I'll continue enjoying it until the very end. Perhaps it could all change in 2015 but I just don't see it happening. If this comes across as sounding too negative I apologize. I think I'm just a little sad and frustrated about the whole thing considering how much I love the system =)

Edited on by Akira_1975

Akira_1975

DBPirate

I see your point but I'm HOPING third-parties start coming back. They're basically the reason for the Wii U's sales. Most people are so obsessed with their Call of Duty shooter games and super awesome graphics that they don't care about Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Metroid, or even innovation. These people will only buy the Wii U for these kind of games and it seems as though developers are throwing out excuses like "oh, the Wii U can't handle the speed of the Batmobile" and "oh, the Wii U can't handle the size of France."

All of Nintendo's games on the Wii U are in my opinion solid amazing games and I haven't been disappointed by a single one. I love the system as well. In fact, I like it better than the Wii and 3DS. It's just that this isn't others' type of game. Unfortunately, I don't see third-parties coming back but I do see a possible turn around.

Edited on by DBPirate

Currently playing: Bayonetta 2

My Nintendo: DillPickle | Nintendo Network ID: Czechmate1129

skywake

We're talking about 2016 and beyond yeah? Well look at the Wii at that point in its life, there were games like Galaxy 2, DKCR and Skyward Sword to come but most of the best content was already behind it. Even the 360/PS3 which have had an unusually extended life had their best content around 2008-2010. It's not really what you're asking but I'd say "peak Wii U" probably is 2015.

That said Nintendo's strategy has always been about only releasing new hardware when they feel like their current platform is limiting what they want to do. It rubs third parties the wrong way but that's how they go about it. I don't really see the Wii U really being that limiting for the content that they seem to want to make. Their preferred style really doesn't demand the extra horsepower. Given that I would wager that 2015 is not at all the last "good" year for the Wii U, I'd say it has another decent two years after that in it.

The 3DS however is a different story.....

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Olliemar28

If it's the Wii U's final good year, so be it. I own lots of incredible games for the system and for me it has been worth every penny. I'm thrilled with it, so if Nintendo decide to move on after 2015, I would not resent their decision.

Olliemar28

Twitter:

Gerald

3rd parties just want more profit for less work, they will only support Nintendo if the Architecture and Power is exactly the same as the competition (basically a PC), so that there is no optimisation required. It would not matter if Nintendo bought out a Power House Console, 3rd Parties would still produce Sh*tty ports. Nintendo is games company run by people who make games. Most 3rd parties are run by accountants (releasing a game on time is more important than ensuring that the game is ok and meets Quality standards. ACU a prime example).
For me, next year will not be good year unless VC sees N64 & GC. Although I am looking forward to Zelda, but I think that will slip to 2016

NNID: Ootfan98
3DS FC: 3909 - 7501 - 9000

iKhan

They key to getting 3rd Parties back is to address them in advertising. People won't buy 3rd Party Wii U games if they don't know they exist. Simultaneously, their ads need a broader appeal. Right now, they basically say "this is a system for small kids and the rare family gaming unit ONLY". It doesn't tell you why the system or the Gamepad is fun on a general level.

To answer TC's question, I see the Wii U's life ending around 2017. Killing the system now would let down Nintendo fans who invested in the platform. 2016 would be healthier, but with QoL launching and even the potential for a new handheld, that year will be crowded.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Blast

The Wii U is fine. Its not selling as well as Xbox One or PS4 and that's OK. Nintendo knows that. Wii U isn't going away until 2018, in my opinion. Its too soon to end it in 2016 and even 2017, in my eyes.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

sub12

I don't think we will see third party titles come back to the Wii U. Not only is the Wii U still not selling great, its hardware is a barrier at a time when most developers are starting to fully embrace the 8th gen (especially in 2015). Only caveat is third party titles that sell well on the Wii U (Skylanders or Lego), and or Nintendo supported or published titles (Sonic and Bayo 2).

sub12

DylanMcGrann

I think there is a temptation to say the Wii U's best year will be 2015 in part just because we know so much about the lineup of titles that year. There are still a number of franchises that haven't been released on the Wii U yet, including Animal Crossing, Paper Mario, Metroid, and a number of other franchises they could decide to make. It's been vaguely hinted that we might get another 3D Mario platformer, and we still don't know what Retro's next game(s) will be. There really just isn't enough information to determine how successful the Wii U will be in 2016. At the very least, Nintendo will still have a few big releases that year, and at this point, software sales, not hardware sales, is probably what is going to make the Wii U profitable for Nintendo.

DylanMcGrann

3DS Friend Code: 0860-3388-5483 | Nintendo Network ID: Tainy_Tonner | Twitter:

iKhan

Blast wrote:

The Wii U is fine. Its not selling as well as Xbox One or PS4 and that's OK. Nintendo knows that. Wii U isn't going away until 2018, in my opinion. Its too soon to end it in 2016 and even 2017, in my eyes.

2017 is 5 years, the standard life for a console. Unless the system is really successful, it's not gonna stick around for an extra year. Especially with how the Wii U is holding Nintendo back.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

henchman24

A typical console lifespan is usually about 5-6 years... with the Wii U coming out in 2012 AND seeing how it is way under powered compared to the Xbox One and PS4, I see Nintendo being at the bottom end of that range. So 2017 will likely be the year the new console is released, and it will be announced in 2016/early 2017. What that probably means for the Wii U is that 2016 is going to be the swan song, and Nintendo will try to make that the biggest year for the console.

henchman24

Nin10dad

I think we will all pretty much know the release schedule for 2015, aside from a cheeky surprise or two (GC VC) from Nintendo.
2016 will see a few more major IPs come into play. Metroid, undoubtedly a new 3D mario experience, maybe F-Zero, Animal crossing U, as well as some more crossover titles (al a Hyrule warriors).
So, realistically, 2017 would be the time for a new console IMHO!

nintendad.co.uk

Twitter @nintendad

Switch - SW-5274-3655-0708

ejamer

I think 2015 will be the last good year for Wii U, and even that's arguable because the almost complete lack of third party support going forward might make some think that the best is already behind us. However, getting the small number of major titles that we already know about should mean that 2015 is an exciting year for Wii U owners - even if that excitement only comes in fits and starts throughout the upcoming months.

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

skywake

I don't think "typical console lifespan" is a specific length of time, it's more of a tactical thing. It's about getting something new out before it gets to the point where there's little reason to buy into the platform anymore. Six years is a good number of years mostly because after that period of time you've got something like 4x the storage/power/efficiency for about the same price. But if the content isn't there to take advantage of it on that particular platform? There's no real need for it. Plus even with "average sales" you're still throwing away the user base and starting again.

Again the Wii U is definitely underpowered compared to its competitors, if they were working solely on attracting third party devs then getting the next console out would make a lot of sense. But since when did Nintendo really care about third parties? More than even their IP? None of the games Nintendo is making right now I look at and think "wow, if this was on newer hardware it'd be heaps better". But IMO that was true of the Wii for example pretty early on in its life and was also true of the 360/PS3 for a good year or two towards the end. For the games Nintendo are making? There's little need for a new console anytime soon.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

henchman24

When the Wii U came out Nintendo said they would get the multiplats, and recently Reggie even recently said that he would love to have the blockbuster titles on the Wii U. I think it is fair to say they care about having 3rd party games.

henchman24

crimsoncavalier

The other issue with Nintendo coming out with the Wii 3 in 2016 or even 2017 is that it will be showing its hand to the competition. The Wii U was disadvantaged by coming out first as well as being underpowered. Both of those aspects are hurting sales to this very day. With the Wii, they surprised everyone by keeping their hand close to the vest, including the controller. If the Wii 3 comes out even earlier than the PS5 and whatever MS will call their next abomination than the Wii U did to the PS4/XBO, then they'll be further disadvantaged.

I know Nintendo doesn't need graphical horsepower for their games, but 3rd parties require it for their games. Nintendo will never be top of the dog pile again (and they want to be, don't fool yourself) unless they bend a little bit in their stance to not make console to compete with the others in terms of graphics.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

henchman24

Nintendo doesn't have to be the most powerful to compete in the next generation... they need to be powerful enough to make the playing field somewhat even and get multiplats.

I have my doubts that Sony is going to release a console next generation. Microsoft probably will, and somebody else will probably jump in the race... but Sony is probably going to undergo a massive restructure and possibly sell off the Playstation division ( probably where somebody jumps in the race).

henchman24

steamhare

Using Bayonetta 2 as an example of poor sales is rather misguided. It probably met expectations. The main reason it's actually on the Wii U is that Sega had low expectations for it to begin with.

steamhare

dumedum

There is no way that Nintendo will release a new home console in 2017.
Wii U is going to be with us for a very long time. Putting out a new console will be too expensive and risky for Nintendo. The differences in graphics is minimal anyway. They're going to invest in more new solutions like QOL, more 3DS versions and the likes, and more Wii U games and amiibo trying to increase that market, but they're not thinking of releasing any new console for at least another 5 years I think. Maybe more, and by then, who knows if there'll be any home consoles at all.

Edited on by dumedum

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.