Forums

Topic: BestBuy GCU for $30 (normally $100) 20% Off All New Games For 2 yrs

Posts 1 to 18 of 18

JaxonH

Best Buy is currently running a sale for their Gamer's Club Unlocked membership. Normally it costs $100 (must have lowered the price recently, it's always been $120 as long as I can remember) for a two-year membership, but right now you can join for just $30 with no additional purchase required. As a GCU member, you will receive 20% off all games purchased new for the next 2 years, and 10% off all used games purchased for the next 2 years. The meat of the deal lies in the 20% off, and has personally saved me well over $500 just in the last 9 months since I joined.

Best Buy also offers $10 in rewards for many AAA releases when you pre order. Which, when coupled with the GCU discount, means games like Witcher 3, Halo 5, Batman Arkham Knight etc are just $37.99 shipped to your door day one. But even if a game does not qualify for a preorder rewards bonus, you're still looking at $47.99 for all $60 games, 39.99 for all $50 games, $31.99 for all $40 games, and $23.99 for all $30 games. And with discounts like those it doesn't take long to make your money back, especially when the price of entry is only one fourth of what it usually costs.

I recommend this program to everyone and continue to stand by it as the best way to buy games. YOU DONT NEED GAMESTOP. This is a cheaper alternative and you can cancel preorders at any time without being hassled by an employee. Heck I just buy all my games through their website and don't have to deal with anyone.

Here's the link to any who are interested. You can purchase membership online or in-store now, but from what I've heard, the card must be activated in-store. So basically you will have to go in store at least one time. But after that you can purchase all your games online and never set foot in a Best Buy store again.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/my-best-buy-my-best-buy-gamers-cl...

***ALSO*** Membership also doubles your points earned. Normally you earn 1 point per dollar, and earn $5 in rewards for every 250 points. As a GCU member, you will earn 2 points per dollar, meaning you will earn an additional $5 back for every $125 you spend instead of every $250. If you sign up for their credit card you actually get 5% back in points, which is a whopping 2.5 points per dollar spent. Between the GCU double points and CC points bonus combined you can earn an additional $5 back for every $75 spent.

***And yes, the GCU 20% off discount applies to Amiibos as well

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

Platypus101

Are you still required to pay tax if you order this online? Only reason I ask is that CA tax on s somewhere near 10%

Platypus101

SavoirFaire

@jaxonh thanks for posting so I am not the only one that sounds like a Best Buy shill 😉

Best buy does charge all taxes so you do have to pay those. I picked this up for $30 last time they had this deal, and it has paid for itself 3 times over in ~3 months. Also the discount applies to amiibos as well so you can get them about $11 tax included.

SavoirFaire

Nintendo Network ID: rdean1209

JaxonH

Platypus101 wrote:

Are you still required to pay tax if you order this online? Only reason I ask is that CA tax on s somewhere near 10%

Yeah, you will have to pay tax on games purchased. Before I joined, I used to order from places like Newegg (and before that, Amazon, when they were still tax free in WI). But, the discount is enough that even taxes can't stop saving money. It's the whole ecosystem of rewards points that does it. The $10 pre order rewards + 20% off + double reward points + CC reward points... The more you dive in the more money can be saved.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

moomoo

I got two. Insanely good deal.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

JaxonH

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Alright @JaxonH you got me. I bought the damn thing.
I also got a response from one of the chat representatives saying that it does work on digital downloads now- discounts & bonuses.

We'll see if that's accurate info or not. Either way $30 over 2 years will definitely pay for itself.

Solid decision. I really think you're going to be glad you joined a year from now, after you see how much money you've saved.

Although unfortunately the representative was incorrect. You can try adding digital items to your cart but no discount will be given. Add a physical game and the discount will apply. The only way I know to get a discount on digital is if it's a code that comes in a physical case, like Minecraft on Vita or Lara Croft Temple of Osiris, which was just a download code in a retail case. I just tried now to be sure- certainly don't want to give you false information. But yeah, even so there's no way you can't profit from GCU.

And don't forget you can actually buy up to three copies of any game. So if you have a friend or brother or whoever who also wants a game, you can have them give you the money and order for them. And don't hold me to it, but I believe they changed the rules recently to where you can actually buy three of any given game per platform. So you could actually buy three copies on Wii U, three copies on PS4, etc. Just useful information to know is all.

And just so you know, it took close to a week before my GCU status was reflected on my account. Not sure if they've sped up the process since I joined but, don't freak out if you're not getting a discount online immediately. It takes a few days for it to get through the system and show up on your account page. In-store is effective immediately though.

Edited on by JaxonH

JaxonH

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Man! I did a store pickup this weekend, even though I was sick and shouldn't have been going out, picked it up and got home and realized the cashier didn't even activate it. I was beyond furious. And like, what can you even do in that situation? Call up the store and yell at people for no reason? So mad. So I stewed about it for a while and got over it mostly.
Still mad, clearly, cuz I'm posting this- haha

I was also mad at myself for not checking on it when I was there, but I was sick, so I wasn't in my right mind.

Christ. Bestbuy is just the worst customer service.

Ah that sucks man... But on the bright side, just one more trip and you'll never have to go there again (unless you want to, of course).

And I also dislike their customer svc. Until you become an Elite/Elite Plus member, then they bend over backwards for you. I'm Elite Plus (which = $ to them), and they have really done right by me. Once, I ordered Tomb Raider PS4, and it came with a small puncture in the case. When I called to complain they said they'd ship me a new copy and that I could keep the old one too. Then when I pre ordered Wolfenstein, I was already paying just $28 for the game day one (20% off through GCU, and $20 pre order rewards bonus), but because I had ordered online and therefore couldn't get the little Panzerhund dog figure (just a tiny throwaway figure), they gave me another $5 back, taking the price down to $22.99. And when my Smash GC bundle shipped out 2 days late, they credited me with $10 in rewards. So I guess I really can't complain about their service, although again, I am Elite Plus and I'm sure that has something to do with it.

And I thought it was activated when you purchased it (or picked it up)? Are you sure it's not activated yet?

Tasuki

DiscoGentleman wrote:

Man! I did a store pickup this weekend, even though I was sick and shouldn't have been going out, picked it up and got home and realized the cashier didn't even activate it. I was beyond furious. And like, what can you even do in that situation? Call up the store and yell at people for no reason? So mad. So I stewed about it for a while and got over it mostly.
Still mad, clearly, cuz I'm posting this- haha

I was also mad at myself for not checking on it when I was there, but I was sick, so I wasn't in my right mind.

Christ. Bestbuy is just the worst customer service.

Yep Bestbuy has some of the worst customer experience around which is why I don't shop there. They will say anything just to make a sale, Unless you know what you want and what you are looking for don't go there.

My mom who doesn't know anything about PC modems was looking for one with a phone jack in it so she could use here digital phone service. She asked one of the sales person which one has a phone jack in it and he gave her one and said this one, Well she trusted him came open with it and had me hooked it up, Which is when I discovered there wasn't a phone port on it at all. She tried to take it back but Bestbuy wouldnt give her her money back cause the modem was opened even though their employee lied to her.

Like I said go there when you know 100% what you are looking for and they have it cause asking any of their employees is a joke, Or better yet don't shop there like me.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Metspride129

thank you. just ordered this! def a great deal. also ordered an amiibo, and it took the 20% off right from the get go (was like $10.39). had a $40 reward cert, so after tax and free shipping, paid $.40 out of pocket =)

Metspride129

JaxonH

@Tasuki

I won't step foot into a Best Buy except for when I need to buy Gamers Club Unlocked. Like you said their people are commission based and pressure you into sales. Their website, however, is a different story. And is the best place to buy games if you're a GCU member.

JaxonH

Metspride129 wrote:

thank you. just ordered this! def a great deal. also ordered an amiibo, and it took the 20% off right from the get go (was like $10.39). had a $40 reward cert, so after tax and free shipping, paid $.40 out of pocket =)

Nice! Those rewards points add up fast don't they. I just cashed out $170 in reward certificates before Christmas, only took me 3 months to bank it that high

the_shpydar

JaxonH wrote:

@Tasuki

I won't step foot into a Best Buy except for when I need to buy Gamers Club Unlocked. Like you said their people are commission based and pressure you into sales. Their website, however, is a different story. And is the best place to buy games if you're a GCU member.

Unless they've changed their corporate policy in the past couple years, Best Buy employees are not commission-based.
They are still strongly encouraged to push certain items and services, but the employees themselves are not motivated by sales commissions.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

JaxonH

the_shpydar wrote:

JaxonH wrote:

@Tasuki

Unless they've changed their corporate policy in the past couple years, Best Buy employees are not commission-based.
They are still strongly encouraged to push certain items and services, but the employees themselves are not motivated by sales commissions.

Huh, guess I always assumed they were because of how hard they peddle the merch

Noonch

I've had friends that worked at Best Buy, they are kind of commission in the worst way. Basically they don't get a percentage of their sales in terms of money but if they don't make enough sales they can be fired. So it's like their commission is employment. Also I signed up for Gamer's Club, hopefully it'll pay for itself.

My other Switch is a WiiU.

3DS Friend Code: 2552-1230-7713

JaxonH

@Noonch

My advice, and I tell this to everyone, is stick to their website. Take advantage of the reward points system, the preorder bonus rewards, sign up for a credit card if you can (mega bucks back from using it, just pay bill right away interest free), and keep an eye out for sales. 20% off on top of a good sale price goes a long way. And until you become an Elite (Plus) member with free shipping on everything, make sure you order at least $35 worth of games at a time to avoid shipping charges.

Just a few friendly tips I learned through experience.

LaserdiscGal

I'm thinking about doing it for the discount on Amiibos alone...if only the ones I wanted were in stock!

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

JaxonH

Pokefraker wrote:

I'm thinking about doing it for the discount on Amiibos alone...if only the ones I wanted were in stock!

Yeah, the wave 2 and 3 Amiibos were available to preorder for about two or three weeks, then they finally all sold out. On the bright side, they did restock Marth when no one else had, which leads me to believe that most of the wave 2 and 3 will be restocked after the initial shipment

• Page 1 of 1

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.