Forums

Topic: Bayonetta 2 (+ Bayonetta 1) - OT

Posts 501 to 520 of 751

RedDevilAde

Einherjar wrote:

@RedDevilAde So, parental controlls because of ass shots and not because of the violence shown ? Woman must be scary...

Also the violence and the copious amounts of swearing in the cut scenes, hardly appropriate material for a 5 year old, first Wii U game I bought and felt they were needed. As I said I didn't research the game.

Edited on by RedDevilAde

Rimmer: "Look, I think we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but I think that from now on the thing you should bring is silence."

Homer: "Oh people can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent. Forfty percent of all people know that."

Nintendo Network ID: RedDevilAde

JoyBoy

RedDevilAde wrote:

Einherjar wrote:

@RedDevilAde So, parental controlls because of ass shots and not because of the violence shown ? Woman must be scary...

Also the violence and the copious amounts of swearing in the cut scenes, hardly appropriate material for a 5 year old, first Wii U game I bought and felt they were needed. As I said I didn't research the game.

Not that sure if any research is needed. The game isn't exactly shy about anything, you watch one trailer and you pretty much know what you can expect.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

luisesteban

So far the game is quite amazing, emotion after emotion.

luisesteban

Einherjar

@RedDevilAde Dude, it has a giant sticker on the cover telling you that its NOT for children, and its ass shots are the very least offensive parts. You dont need to research a game to know that an 18+ rating means "contains not child friendly material"

@DiscoGentleman Yes and no. Im mostly baffled that so many people take offense to a woman holding her bum at the camera instead of the loads and loads of gore, blood and violence. It makes me wonder if these people watched TV in the last couple of years, because what you see there is often far more offensive.
Do they blindfold their children when walking down the streets in fear of billboards featuring lingerie adverts ?

Im sorry if this sounded like an attack. I dont mean to attack anyone personally, even though it probably sounds like it. Its just that i cant wrap my head around the fact, that people are more afraid of female anatomy than anything else.
I mean, games like, say GTA or even God of War to stay in the same genre feature much much more explicit sex scenes and yet, they dont cause so much controversy. Bayonetta plays its violence for laughs with slapstic scenes and has a dressed protagonist performing some dance moves from time to time and its causing a major sexism uproar...
I simply cant understand why that is such a big deal.

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

cookiex

Haven't gotten to Bayo2 yet since I'm plowing through Bayo1 first.

Btw those battleship monsters are now up there with the giant turtles in Wonderful 101 and the mecha-gorillas in Metal Gear Rising. I hate them so much.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Einherjar

@cookiex Well, have fun with the golden claw angels then By far the hardest normal enemys, especially because you cant use whitch time against them. The battleships on the other hand are actually childs play if you get how they work:
Let them shoot at you, whitch time, then shoot the missiles out of the sky and quickly climp onto them. 2 wicked weaves against their core and their gone

Einherjar

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8503-1730 | Nintendo Network ID: EinherjarZX

Faruko

I really wonder... Do people react worse against sexuallity (albeit over the top) then say... Grand Theft Auto ? Where you can get a hooker, kill her and get your money back ?

If you ask me, compared to some other games, Bayonetta its not really an offender, but to be fair... If i had a child i would check on what he plays and dont

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Dave24

Einherjar wrote:

I mean, games like, say GTA or even God of War to stay in the same genre feature much much more explicit sex scenes and yet, they dont cause so much controversy. Bayonetta plays its violence for laughs with slapstic scenes and has a dressed protagonist performing some dance moves from time to time and its causing a major sexism uproar...
I simply cant understand why that is such a big deal.

Because we can't have pretty or sexy characters in games. I agree with you that the only thing this uproar is worth is a massive facepalm. I mean, there is no issue with GUYS being sexualized/macho/perfect in games probably because nobody wants to sound gay or something. Oh right, it's not about equal rights, my bad. Also "I didn't expect a game having giant warning signs of PEGI 16/18 to be violent/have innuendos" it's just... I don't know what to say. Did he had to research cigarettes or alcohol too? Worst. Parent. Ever. Now at least we know from where epic fail videos/pics with parents failing come from.

Anyway, started playing Bayonetta 1 and it is massive improvement over PS3 version. It's much more fluid, no clipping and overall it looks better. It has little more life and little more colors. It's not a masterpiece like Bayonetta 2 where you have all the colors of rainbow and is amazing to look at, here they went extra mile even though they didn't have to. Even with the outfits - I'm playing with Peach and it's funny collecting coins and Mario hanging on character's belt. I like little things like that.

Bayonetta 2 is amazing game, though - giant bosses, great graphics and fluid gamelay. But I'm stuck with the first one for now, because gf would probably kill me if I continued playing it without her, because she loved it and wants to see what's next.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

jariw

Dave24 wrote:

I mean, there is no issue with GUYS being sexualized/macho/perfect in games probably because nobody wants to sound gay or something. Oh right, it's not about equal rights, my bad.

The general idea among critics here is that sexualized women in video games are based on traditional male fantasies, and that the super-perfect macho man in video games also is a traditional male fantasy. I can agree to that.

However, I personally think that Bayonetta as a character is much more complex than those stereotypes, while Bayonetta is still often judged by those stereotypes.

This is a very interesting article on the subject, with female gamer interviews about the Bayonetta character. Some love the Bayonetta character, some don't. All have valid arguments.
http://www.negativeworld.org/feature/11720/women-speak-about-...

Edited on by jariw

jariw

jump

jariw wrote:

Dave24 wrote:

I mean, there is no issue with GUYS being sexualized/macho/perfect in games probably because nobody wants to sound gay or something. Oh right, it's not about equal rights, my bad.

The general idea among critics here is that sexualized women in video games are based on traditional male fantasies, and that the super-perfect macho man in video games also is a traditional male fantasy. I can agree to that.

However, I personally think that Bayonetta as a character is much more complex than those stereotypes, while Bayonetta is still often judged by those stereotypes.

This is a very interesting article on the subject, with female gamer interviews about the Bayonetta character. Some love the Bayonetta character, some don't. All have valid arguments.
http://www.negativeworld.org/feature/11720/women-speak-about-...

Thanks for that link, I started reading it and it does seem intresting but then realised how long it is so I will read it properly later.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Peach64

Hard to tell how well it's done without numbers, but Bayonetta 2 makes its UK chart debut in 7th. The original was 5th in its first week but for all we know this could have sold more. The one thing the original had was that it took people by surprise so it's sales weren't as front loaded as this surely will be.

Peach64

Dave24

jariw wrote:

I agree that there is more to Bayonetta as a character. But this

You are pretty much saying by that that a) it's cool as long as guys are ok with it - and chicks are far suprierior than that and can say NO to idealising them and b) women don't and can't have their own fantasies. Oh, and also man are inferior and need to idealize themselves

I absolutely hate that it is only one way road. Bayonetta kicks major butt and that's what matter, and as for fanservice... It's expected, after all it's Japanese game so both dudes and dudettes can be happy with it. But nope, we can't have anything pretty.

Edited on by Dave24

Dave24

whodatninja

Finally got my £31 special edition! Thanks Amazon Now to play Bayonetta 1!!

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

iKhan

Peach64 wrote:

Hard to tell how well it's done without numbers, but Bayonetta 2 makes its UK chart debut in 7th. The original was 5th in its first week but for all we know this could have sold more. The one thing the original had was that it took people by surprise so it's sales weren't as front loaded as this surely will be.

Was it 5th across all formats of individual? We should probably look at individual formats, as it is one platform vs 2. Additionally, Bayo 1 launched in January, in fact right after the holidays. So probably not a time when many games were bought anyway.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

WebHead

Bought both today at Gamestop. Playing the first one well first and it's a blast thus far.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

cookiex

Peach64 wrote:

The one thing the original had was that it took people by surprise so it's sales weren't as front loaded as this surely will be.

Bayo2 has major advantage in releasing right before the holidays though, which the original (at least in the west) did not.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

Dave24

Pahvi wrote:

Well, this was my first time getting through chapter 2 in Bayonetta 1. As unbelievable as it sounds... I'm liking the QTEs in Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy better than those in Bayonetta.

It's not ubelievable, that's the truth. That's what sucked for me in this game... well, that, and framerate, washed up colors in PS3 version... and driving. OMG the driving was bad.

These QTE wouldn't be so bad if you had time to react, not split second. It looks like they fixed it in bayonetta 2, thankfully.

Dave24

kkslider5552000

I'm annoyed I don't already own the most obvious GOTY ever (though that's more an insult to other games this year) but I'm not close to done with too many games and have been avoiding actually playing games for too long so waiting is not a bad thing...

From what I understand, I don't want to spend too much time away from the game once I start it if I want to actually remember everything.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Faruko

Dave24 wrote:

Pahvi wrote:

Well, this was my first time getting through chapter 2 in Bayonetta 1. As unbelievable as it sounds... I'm liking the QTEs in Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy better than those in Bayonetta.

It's not ubelievable, that's the truth. That's what sucked for me in this game... well, that, and framerate, washed up colors in PS3 version... and driving. OMG the driving was bad.

These QTE wouldn't be so bad if you had time to react, not split second. It looks like they fixed it in bayonetta 2, thankfully.

The driving was awesome, it has a sense of speed that only FZero would give.

It really makes me pray for a fzero gsme developed by platinum

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

spizzamarozzi

So I started playing the first one the other day and, as far as sexual content goes, I was expecting far worse. I remember all the talk surrounding this game when it was releases, and I was expecting a more one-dimensional character without much to offer beside sexy poses and flirting moves - turns out she's quite a likeable character with a very strong and independent personality, which kinda balances the obvious sexism that is there to please the young adult male audience. I think Suda51 or Sakamoto have created far worse female characters than Bayo, as far as portraying women that exist only in function of men - full stop.

Another thing, I have seen this game criticized for being a button masher, and this just show people are either playing it on the lowest difficulty setting or they haven't understood how to play at all. It's not an easy game and if you don't connect your brain with your hands, you get owned fairly easily. You have to be aware of every movement your enemies make, so every cue counts. Every time I win a duel, I can't wait to get into the next fight - the classic sign of very satisfying combat mechanics.

Edited on by spizzamarozzi

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.