Forums

Topic: Ashes Cricket 2013 on Wii U = Super Awesome News

Posts 1 to 20 of 36

ThomasBW84

Rather than check the comments thread on the news story for this constantly, I thought I'd start a thread.

Personally, I truly hope that MotionPlus is supported. I know some consider motion controls in games like this as a lame idea but, c'mon, this could be the Wii cricket game (with proper MotionPlus standard mechanics) we never had! I fear it'll just be GamePad stick controls, but I like to dream.

As the unfortunate soul that reviewed the abomination that was Cricket Challenge on WiiWare — worst Wii Remote controls ever — I truly hope this rights that wrong.

Even if it is limited to standard controls on the GamePad though, I'm psyched. I imagine there aren't many cricket fans in video game land, either, so I think we should stick together... Cricket fans unite!

Anyone else chuffed about this, or am I just a raving loon?

ThomasBW84

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3469-6599 | Nintendo Network ID: ThomasBW84 | Twitter:

Bankai

I loved the last Ashes cricket on the PS3 - literally played it for months on end. Believe it or not there was a reasonable online community for it for a while too.

Needless to as I can't wait for this. I'll pass on motion controls (the failed badly on the Wii Ashes Cricket game, and don't forget these games are made on really tight budgets so don't expect the technical marvel of a Tiger Woods Golf Games). I would rather the developers spend the money on licensing.

90 odd countries around the world have formal cricket associations. It would be awesome (though it won't happen) if I could play as the Japanese cricket team in a World Cup.

And yes this is 'Ashes Cricket' but the last game had teams like Bermuda and Canada and Kenya, so it's possible that they could build more... FIFA style play into the game.

BenAV

For me I'd probably just stick to the GamePad controls.
I'd expect that it probably will have a Wii remote option, but how well they'll implement it I'm not too sure.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

MAB

Gotta have motion+ for batting & bowling with the gamepad being used for fielder placement or these legends in the commentary box
Untitled
That is 2 for 22
Untitled

Edited on by MAB

MAB

ThomasBW84

Bankai wrote:

With the GamePad, it would be awesome if they just used it to replicate a Cricket Field Scoreboard IMO. That would add so much atmosphere to the game.

That would be cool, especially if there was the choice of an old-fashioned scoreboard, none of that digital nonsense...

ThomasBW84

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3469-6599 | Nintendo Network ID: ThomasBW84 | Twitter:

Big_L91

im not so bothered about the game, im sure it will be great. but im really worryed about developers showing no love for motion controls. seems to be happening in alot of games. the wii proved motion controls can work and really immerse you in the action. alot of shooters also seem to be skipping pointer controls, even epic mickey 2. i find it hugely irritating that they got so far with making them so precise and now everyone just wants to go back to buttons!

i mean in no way are buttons bad but some games suit motion better and this game is defiantly one of them. im not a cricket fan at all but i bet it would be great fun anyway with good motion controls.

Edited on by Big_L91

put it on.

Ryno

I have no clue on how to play Cricket, but I enjoy Baseball. I would like to have at least a basic understanding of the game someday.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

RR529

So, I've always been interested in what Cricket was all about. However I'm sure this has no chance whatsoever of being released Stateside (and I don't have a Wii U anyway).

Living in the States, the only time it's brought up is when someone's making a joke about how it's like baseball's weird cousin, or something.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Jani-Koblaney

Where's my baseball game on Wii U? We get a game for a small sport like Cricket, but we have yet to get a MLB one.. I want to see Joe Mauer in HD, darn it!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852 | Nintendo Network ID: NJanders

BenAV

@Metal_Sonic Cricket is hardly a small sport.

BenAV

Switch Friend Code: SW-4616-9069-4695 | 3DS Friend Code: 3652-0548-9579 | Nintendo Network ID: Ben_AV | Twitter:

Bankai

Metal_Sonic wrote:

Where's my baseball game on Wii U? We get a game for a small sport like Cricket, but we have yet to get a MLB one.. I want to see Joe Mauer in HD, darn it!

Cricket is played in 90 countries around the world and is the national sport of a few of them - including India, which is the world's second-most populated nation.

Yes it's as small sport in America. Thank God, then, the rest of the world doesn't really give a damn what America thinks because Cricket is truly the greatest team sport ever invented.

IAmNotWill

Metal_Sonic wrote:

America isn't the only country on Earth, bro.

Bankai wrote:

Basketball is truly the greatest team sport ever invented.

Fixed.

Edited on by IAmNotWill

Why can't Metroid crawl?
My Backloggery | Helpful Tips for Formatting Messages | NintendoLife Chat

3DS Friend Code: 0001-3392-4205 | Nintendo Network ID: willfuture

Jani-Koblaney

Bankai wrote:

Metal_Sonic wrote:

Cricket is played in 90 countries around the world and is the national sport of a few of them - including India, which is the world's second-most populated nation.

Yes it's as small sport in America. Thank God, then, the rest of the world doesn't really give a damn what America thinks because Cricket is truly the greatest team sport ever invented.

So? The MLB is far more valuable than any cricket league. Also, besides basically being the national pastime of the US, it's also the most popular team sport in countries such as Japan and Cuba.. To add to that, it's popular in North America, lots of South America, and parts of East Asia..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

Bankai

Metal_Sonic wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Metal_Sonic wrote:

So? The MLB is far more valuable than any cricket league. Also, besides basically being the national pastime of the US, it's also the most popular team sport in countries such as Japan and Cuba.. To add to that, it's popular in North America, lots of South America, and parts of East Asia..

Oh I see. So a sport can only be "big" if there isn't a sport bigger than it in the world.

Looks like baseball is completely irrelevant because FIFA, The Olympics, The Rugby World Cup and Cycling exist, then (all bigger than baseball on a global scale).

Baseball is a tiny sport in Australia, India, England, South Africa and the West Indies, where cricket happens to be a big, important sport. Almost as many countries in the world have formal Cricket associations as baseball (101 cricket, 118 baseball). The Indian cricket league has players from all over the world on multi-million dollar contracts. Stop pretending like America's the centre of the universe and a sport can only be worthwhile if the Americans bless it. We really couldn't care less about most of your sports.

Also, just so you're aware, Baseball in Japan is starting to struggle. The Japanese kids are playing rugby or soccer.

So your sport's about to lose its second most important market. Cricket meanwhile is growing in the world.

EDIT: Hahaha, I just did some research and Australia made the 2011 Baseball world cup. Despite, literally, no one playing the sport in this country.

Edited on by Bankai

The_Fox

Cricket probably could be considered a tiny sport as far as video games go. How many of those countries that are fond of cricket have a significant video game market?

Also, American Football is greatest team sport ever invented.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

Jani-Koblaney

Anyways, to get back to my original point, all I was saying is that the Wii U needs a baseball game. If it's getting a cricket game, then it most certainly can get a baseball game..

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

Jani-Koblaney

The_Fox wrote:

Cricket probably could be considered a tiny sport as far as video games go. How many of those countries that are fond of cricket have a significant video game market?

High Five!

Never Gonna Give Mew Up!

Bankai

The_Fox wrote:

So is ice hockey and gridiron (small video game markets for sports games) - the Japanese don't care much about either sport, and they're not all that big in Europe, either. That means that the only really large market for these sports games is the US. Basketball's somewhat bigger in Europe, but the Japanese still have no interest in it.

I don't go around the internet complaining about the existence of these sports games, is all I'm saying. If you're American, you're probably not into cricket. Great. Don't post in this thread.

Edited on by Bankai

MAN1AC

Metal_Sonic wrote:

This.

The_Fox wrote:

And this.

I'm not interested in the game but it will be interesting to see how it does in the sale department.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.